PDA

View Full Version : Help with case head separation

BGREID
03-27-17, 11:46
I had a case head separation in a 9mm AR. How do I get the rest of the case out?

PattonWasRight
03-27-17, 12:05
Ouch, the base of the round is off, so it's just the tubular section of the case stuck?

If so, pull the upper and bcg and get a fine pick in there, preferrably one made from brass and work to get the point of the pick beneath the casing and compress in, gradually working a spot at a time until it loosens up.

If that doesn't work, gunsmiths have a case extractor that will do the job ... a buddy may have one as well or you can order from Brownell's or similiar.

It'll come out, don't resort to heavy handed measures and all will be well.

BGREID
03-27-17, 13:56
Yes just a tube of brass. I called Brownells and they don't have a tool for that, just rifle calibers. If you know where I can buy one let me know. Your idea may work though, I am a little concerned about damaging the chamber.

qsy
03-27-17, 14:55
You might want to try to "chill" it down with some contact cleaner, it may slide out with a bore brush or a pick.

PattonWasRight
03-27-17, 15:01
You won't damage your chamber using a brass pick ... much softer than the steel of your chamber. You can use a piece of wood or plastic first ... it may not be that stuck in there so with some clp or whatever and some good, repetitive pokes, it may work itself loose.

BGREID
03-27-17, 18:29
You won't damage your chamber using a brass pick ... much softer than the steel of your chamber. You can use a piece of wood or plastic first ... it may not be that stuck in there so with some clp or whatever and some good, repetitive pokes, it may work itself loose.

It's in there so tight that there is no way to get under it.

Locutus
03-27-17, 20:00
You *MIGHT* find a bolt extractor that's large enough to grip the case, yet small enough not to bugger the chamber...

PattonWasRight
03-27-17, 20:36
It's in there so tight that there is no way to get under it. Crud.

Here's a technique used in this video that may help ... keep us posted. Get some penetrating oil in there too before you try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKAuqfWmuTM

TomMcC
03-28-17, 02:29
I thought I read somewhere you could insert a .40 cal bronze bore brush into the case and pull it out.

pinzgauer
03-28-17, 07:10
Metal Bore brush often works. Insert slowly from breech, then pull out. The wires slanted backwards push against the case mouth and even the inside of the case.

Much better than picks. It's like using a dozen picks at the same time

BGREID
03-28-17, 08:30
I thought I read somewhere you could insert a .40 cal bronze bore brush into the case and pull it out.

Tried this no luck.

556BlackRifle
03-28-17, 09:57
I think a chamber reamer might be a good way to get the stuck case out. Ned Christiansen's tool might do the job nicely. I'd talk to Ned and see if he thinks it could help. http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

Last resort but it will work if done correctly.

1_ Remove the barrel from the upper receiver.

2_ Clamp it using a barrel clamp and vise. (Here's where a rotating axis comes in handy.)

3_ Using a long thin jeweler's screw driver, gently insert the blade such that it enters the between the chamber and case. As it is inserted do not pry and take care not to scratch the chamber.

4_ Repeat above with a slightly larger blade until there is enough room to insert long needle nosed pliers.

5_ Spray some penetrating oil into the space you've just created.

6_ Gently insert the pliers taking care not to scratch the chamber and work the brass toward the center of the chamber until the pliers have a good grip on the case.

7_ Rotate and pull. The case should come out.

PattonWasRight
03-28-17, 10:04
Metal Bore brush often works. Insert slowly from breech, then pull out. The wires slanted backwards push against the case mouth and even the inside of the case.

Much better than picks. It's like using a dozen picks at the same time Good idea ... a chamber brush that's larger than 9mm. OP ... got something there you can try with?

PattonWasRight
03-28-17, 10:33
I think a chamber reamer might be a good way to get the stuck case out. Ned Christiansen's tool might do the job nicely. I'd talk to Ned and see if he thinks it could help. http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

Last resort but it will work if done correctly.

1_ Remove the barrel from the upper receiver.

2_ Clamp it using a barrel clamp and vise. (Here's where a rotating axis comes in handy.)

3_ Using a long thin jeweler's screw driver, gently insert the blade such that it enters the between the chamber and case. As it is inserted do not pry and take care not to scratch the chamber.

4_ Repeat above with a slightly larger blade until there is enough room to insert long needle nosed pliers.

5_ Spray some penetrating oil into the space you've just created.

6_ Gently insert the pliers taking care not to scratch the chamber and work the brass toward the center of the chamber until the pliers have a good grip on the case.

7_ Rotate and pull. The case should come out. Yep, last resort but looks like the OP is bumping into this now. Helpful instructions / detail.

OP ... what do you think is your next move? Getting frustrating I'm sure, but this will pass. Just don't go into "pissed off" mode and do something gorilla-ish that'll mess up your chamber.

BGREID
03-28-17, 13:13
Yep, last resort but looks like the OP is bumping into this now. Helpful instructions / detail.

OP ... what do you think is your next move? Getting frustrating I'm sure, but this will pass. Just don't go into "pissed off" mode and do something gorilla-ish that'll mess up your chamber.

I have tried the bore brush trick but, with old brushes. I will get a couple new ones and try that. I called Brownells and they said to use a tap to cut into the case wall and then push out. Or maybe a bolt that fits just tight enough. If the new brushes don't work I will probably have a gunsmith work it out.

T2C
03-28-17, 13:44
Remove the handguards from the upper. Insert an earplug, plastic plug or something that will stop/slow the flow of oil out of the chamber. Tilt the muzzle up and squirt in enough penetrating oil to fill the chamber. Set it on something you are willing to throw away and allow it to soak overnight.

Push out the earplug with a brass rod. Screw in a 3/8" bolt just enough for the threads to engage the brass. A cheap 3/8" tap will also work. Insert a brass rod from the muzzle end and tap with a hammer.

It may take a few tries, but it will usually work.

PattonWasRight
03-28-17, 14:13
Good idea on using a tap die, or a bolt ... you could maybe find a bolt with a tapered point so you can feel for putting more or less threads into. Don't get hi-hardness rated steel bolt. Your chamber is much harder than unhardened bolt, so you should be okay ... just cosmetic scratching at worst.

T2C
03-28-17, 14:19
You might be surprised at how well penetrating oil seeps in between the brass and chamber. You may not need to use a bolt or tap to remove the brass.

Start with the softest tool on hand.

PattonWasRight
03-28-17, 14:35
You might be surprised at how well penetrating oil seeps in between the brass and chamber. You may not need to use a bolt or tap to remove the brass.

Start with the softest tool on hand. Yeah, I agree ... something like PB Blaster. It's helped loosen rusted nuts & bolts I swore were welded. It will get behind that case if the OP plugs up the barrel as described. Could be the easy ticket like you say.

26 Inf
03-28-17, 15:49
Any reason you wouldn't use Kroil for this? Plug the chamber, set the end of the receiver in a plastic tub (disposable kitchen type available at the g-store or Wally world) and fill the chamber from the muzzle end as noted. When you pull the plug let it drain into the tub. No mess. If you want you can strain and reuse the Kroil. Good stuff.

MSW
03-28-17, 17:56

I was going to post this, the key is to get enough bristles past the case mouth.

TomMcC
03-29-17, 02:53
I was going to post this, the key is to get enough bristles past the case mouth.

I was thinking a stainless steel brush might up the grab factor considerably over a bronze brush.

T2C
03-29-17, 07:28
26 Inf. made a good recommendation for penetrating oil. Kroil is the go to oil for the vintage rifle shooters in my area. It does a bang up job of cleaning filthy bores and hard to reach places on old rifles.

Don't get too aggressive with metal objects inserted into the chamber end of the barrel. Once the brass is removed, I would closely inspect the chamber and leade for damage.

BGREID
03-29-17, 10:34
Penetrating oil did not help. I give up, maybe a gunsmith can do it.

556BlackRifle
03-29-17, 10:43
Penetrating oil did not help. I give up, maybe a gunsmith can do it.

Take it to a smith who works on ARs. If not, carefully follow the steps outlined in post #12 and you should get it out. When you break the seal between the case and the chamber and the penetrating oil get in, (given time to soak) you should be able to extract the case.

GH41
03-29-17, 15:34
Take it to a smith who works on ARs. If not, carefully follow the steps outlined in post #12 and you should get it out. When you break the seal between the case and the chamber and the penetrating oil get in, (given time to soak) you should be able to extract the case.

A straight pick (think ice pick) may be easier to come by than a small screwdriver. All you are trying to do is get between the case rim and chamber wall thus relieving the tension between the two. It's harder to describe than do.

BGREID
03-29-17, 16:05
A straight pick (think ice pick) may be easier to come by than a small screwdriver. All you are trying to do is get between the case rim and chamber wall thus relieving the tension between the two. It's harder to describe than do.

There is just no room to get anything between the case and chamber wall.

pinzgauer
03-29-17, 16:24
Before getting mechanical I'd pick up 2-3 sizes larger than bore cleaning brushes. Stainless or at least bronze. Then start small, and firmly push them in until it stops. IE: jammed into the bore past the end of the chamber.

You want the bristles pushed back at 45-6 degrees. And then pull it back. It may take more than one attempt. If that doesn't work try the next larger size.

sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

GH41
03-29-17, 17:03
There is just no room to get anything between the case and chamber wall.

You have to make room! It's not rocket science.

cessna928
03-29-17, 17:46
Iraqvetern8888 show's how to remove these using cerrosafe from Brownells. Plug the barrel, heat it up, cast the chamber, let cool, and drive out the casting/brass from the muzzle end.

https://youtu.be/PDKBrKtN1OA

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-tools/barrel-chamfering-accessories/cerrosafe-chamber-casting-alloy-prod384.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BGREID
03-30-17, 08:27
Iraqvetern8888 show's how to remove these using cerrosafe from Brownells. Plug the barrel, heat it up, cast the chamber, let cool, and drive out the casting/brass from the muzzle end.

https://youtu.be/PDKBrKtN1OA

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-tools/barrel-chamfering-accessories/cerrosafe-chamber-casting-alloy-prod384.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried it twice didn't work.

tehpwnag3
03-30-17, 08:30
Who made the barrel?

BGREID
03-30-17, 08:39
Who made the barrel?

got it at PSA

T2C
03-30-17, 10:06
If Cerrosafe or a 3/8" tap won't remove the brass, it's time for an AR gunsmith to remedy the problem.

RustyIron
03-31-17, 22:56
Still having problems, BG?
Bummer!

If you had a lathe, I'd tell you how to turn a broken case extractor. But it doesn't sound like you have that capability yet, so lets try something simple.

You'll want a very thin penetrating liquid. 50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid is as good as anything else out there. Just remember that it's flammable and will go up with the smallest spark. Hose it down now.

So use your wife's hairdryer, or a heat gun if you have it. Heat the chamber area like a mofo. 300 degrees Fahrenheit would be about right. Now grab your handy-dandy can of Freeze Spray, and hose down the broken brass cartridge. Heat and cool it again. This time, use your picks, tap, or whatever to yank the broken case out. Hurry! As soon as you quit the freezing spray, the brass is heating up and expanding.

If it takes several attempts at heating, cooling, penetrating, reheating, pulling, then that's ok. It'll come out if you persevere, that's for sure.

TomMcC
04-03-17, 10:37
OP......let us know what you finally did to get that stuck case out. We can add it to our knowledge base.

BGREID
04-03-17, 14:13
OP......let us know what you finally did to get that stuck case out. We can add it to our knowledge base.

I dropped it off at the Gunsmith on Saturday. If he tells me how he did it I'll let you know.

BGREID
04-06-17, 17:25

The answer is an easy out. He had to take the barrel off to get to it though.

PattonWasRight
04-06-17, 17:59
The answer is an easy out. He had to take the barrel off to get to it though. An easy out ... like used for stripped screw heads? Glad you're back in action. Sounds like it was in there solid.

TomMcC
04-12-17, 02:31
The answer is an easy out. He had to take the barrel off to get to it though.

There you go. Kind of like the bronze or stainless brush method but with way more bite. Probably really need to be careful with it so as not to damage the chamber. Thanks for getting back.