PDA

View Full Version : How does this castle nut staking look?

Glock9mm1990
03-27-17, 16:53
Just curious if I did an ok job staking this castle nut or should I redo it?

Thanks.

Butch
03-27-17, 17:01
Overkill. It will work. Who cares what it looks like.

sig1473
03-27-17, 17:04
I've actually have a couple that look like it. I don't know how they got that way:rolleyes: but they should hold up fine.

Vegasshooter
03-27-17, 18:08
Looks good. No worries with that at all. ��

PattonWasRight
03-27-17, 18:11
One could argue that's the gold standard for displaced metal into the key hole

Mysteryman
03-27-17, 18:44
Is it juts me or does the RE look crooked in the first pic when compared to the receiver?

MM

Glock9mm1990
03-27-17, 19:22
Is it juts me or does the RE look crooked in the first pic when compared to the receiver?

MM
Camera angle

GH41
03-27-17, 20:19
Looks good. No worries with that at all. ��

Looks like shit but it will be alright.

556BlackRifle
03-27-17, 23:38
Not the prettiest I've ever seen but it should work.

1_click_off
03-28-17, 07:55
This will make it almost disappear unless you are purposely looking for it.....maybe.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/birchwood-casey-presto-gun-blue-pen

tehpwnag3
03-28-17, 08:48
I use a spring-loaded punch and they come out real pretty every time.

26 Inf
03-28-17, 09:38

OP: This is the easiest IMO. A couple of compressions straight down, then angle out. You don't need to move as much metal as you did, just intrude a little into the notch.

Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black works well, as does their black paint touch up pen. I've never used their cold bluing on aluminum (as suggested in a previous post) so I can't comment on how well it might work.

If you are as much a fumble fingers as I am you quickly learn how to cover boo boos.:rolleyes:

Flankenstein
03-28-17, 12:08
Ugly but functional. No need to redo.

tehpwnag3
03-28-17, 13:17
Thanks for the nod :happy:

I've only used steel end plates and have no experience with aluminum ones. Who makes them? With steel, I find that cold bluing works the best (blends-in better), but the paint pen works fine too.

OP: This is the easiest IMO. A couple of compressions straight down, then angle out. You don't need to move as much metal as you did, just intrude a little into the notch.

Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black works well, as does their black paint touch up pen. I've never used their cold bluing on aluminum (as suggested in a previous post) so I can't comment on how well it might work.

If you are as much a fumble fingers as I am you quickly learn how to cover boo boos.:rolleyes:

Glock9mm1990
03-28-17, 14:14
Thanks for the replies everyone, for me as long as the staking does it's job and prevents the castle nut from coming loose then I'm happy. I just wanted to make sure I displaced enough metal for it to work.

26 Inf
03-28-17, 15:54
Thanks for the nod :happy:

I've only used steel end plates and have no experience with aluminum ones. Who makes them? With steel, I find that cold bluing works the best (blends-in better), but the paint pen works fine too.

You know, that makes sense. I've just always used the aluma-black, never considering the end plate wasn't aluminum.

tehpwnag3
03-28-17, 16:49
Well, I do know for sure that BC Super Blue does not work on Aluminum, much to my chagrin. I've found it to be the blackest blue available. I'll have to pick up some of the Aluminum Black to see if it can pull double duty.

You know, that makes sense. I've just always used the aluma-black, never considering the end plate wasn't aluminum.

Randall
03-28-17, 19:53

Yup, thats what I do, much easier and less nerve racking than a hammer and chisel.

OP: This is the easiest IMO. A couple of compressions straight down, then angle out.

This is a very good point. The compressions straight down ensure you don't slip when you start to angle to push the metal outwards. Prevents boogered metal and ugly scratches.

If I did booger it up, I'll file down the sharp edges so they don't rip your fingers open down the road.

Never have used any of the BC aluma-black or their other offerings.

3 AE
03-28-17, 21:24
At least you got the castle nut oriented correctly and displaced metal where needed. Was at the range last week and the guy in the next lane was showing me his first build/first AR. Looked OK until I saw he had installed the castle nut backwards.

Me: "Any trouble getting the castle nut snugged up?"
Him: "Nope, just ran it up hand tight and used a round punch to drive it home."
Me: "Well you sure displaced enough metal into the cutout to keep it from backing off."
Him: "Yeah, I'm thinking about using a diamond point chisel to push some more metal in the next slot over. What do you think?"
Me: :cool:

Sometimes you just gotta let nature take it's course.

Glock9mm1990
03-28-17, 21:36
At least you got the castle nut oriented correctly and displaced metal where needed. Was at the range last week and the guy in the next lane was showing me his first build/first AR. Looked OK until I saw he had installed the castle nut backwards.

Me: "Any trouble getting the castle nut snugged up?"
Him: "Nope, just ran it up hand tight and used a round punch to drive it home."
Me: "Well you sure displaced enough metal into the cutout to keep it from backing off."
Him: "Yeah, I'm thinking about using a diamond point chisel to push some more metal in the next slot over. What do you think?"
Me: :cool:

Sometimes you just gotta let nature take it's course.

LOL some people....

jpmuscle
03-28-17, 22:23
More for curiosity sake but does colt use a machine to stake their castle nuts? I ask as looking at the square punch on my OEM is damn near erection inspiring it's so perfect.

556Cliff
03-28-17, 22:38
More for curiosity sake but does colt use a machine to stake their castle nuts? I ask as looking at the square punch on my OEM is damn near erection inspiring it's so perfect.

I think Ken Elmore mentioned that it's done either by a machine or an arbor press while the lower is supported in a fancy jig.

user
04-01-17, 08:47
It looks good enough friend. Enjoy many years of service from your stick.

Shellen25
04-20-17, 05:27
FWIW - I have parts ADD... if you're like that at all, on figure builds check out the PWS EBT Mod 2 or the new Lantac version

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

davidjinks
04-25-17, 18:11
It doesn't look bad. Should work for it's intended purpose.

I took a 1/32 punch, ground the tip down to a square (used a factory colt stake as a template).

The stakes I do look like a factory stake from colt. A little bit of cold blue and no one would know the difference.

hk_shootr
04-25-17, 19:21
It will work

Tigwelder1971
07-29-17, 23:19

I was told by a Colt CS rep that the factory staking is accomplished using a press die.

Tigwelder1971
07-29-17, 23:22
Just curious if I did an ok job staking this castle nut or should I redo it?

Thanks.

OP, I cannot view your attachments. So long as you have displaced metal to prevent the castle nut from turning, you are gtg.