PDA

View Full Version : Anyone race Sportbikes?

Eurodriver
03-30-17, 15:09
Looking at getting into racing sportbikes but I'd like to just ride around a track a few times first. Anyone ever done this? Seems much safer on a racetrack but there's so many rules with safety wires and taped glass and gear and even licenses.

Just got a CBR600 new in the box. Might not be the best for the track but very comfortable. I'm too tall to fit the Yamahas :(

Not trying to ride too much on the street cuz there's really angry guys that want to kill you because they ain't you.

Thanks 44722

Outlander Systems
03-30-17, 15:38
Currently? No. Used to? Yes.

Race prepping isn't terribly expensive. Should be less than $700.

After doing some track days, street riding will be about as appealing as making out with your sister.

To quote a wise man,

"What if I told you that there was this road over in Alabama, where there were no cops, no traffic, great curves, absolutely no speed limit, and EMS personnel on standby in the event of a problem? You'd be asking when the **** we're going."

https://www.wera.com/

Outlander Systems
03-30-17, 15:43
https://youtu.be/q2BETRCk95s

Ned Christiansen
03-30-17, 15:57
Have been on the track many times but not racing. For sure find a track day / days and then a race class / racing license event.

I loved being on the track-- optimal surface, no sand, no gravel, no cars; flat, smooth run-off (which I once availed myself of)instead of trees and rock fences (you'll never catch me racing the Isle of Mann TT!). Corner marshals looking out for you, and ambulances there if something goes wrong.

It's the perfect way to burn off some testosterone while significantly reducing the risk. Before "getting into racing" I'd just say study it first if you haven't, watch some races, get into the paddock to see, smell, and hear what's going on. You might find that a guy who is "you plus one year at racing" a more accessible source of conversation and info than the ten-year vet, unless it's a shop team looking for new customers. Not saying "clique-ish" at all but some guys are at a level of serious that may preclude a lot of chit-chat.

The experience, racing or just track days, will increase your level of survivability on the street.

hotrodder636
03-30-17, 16:01
Not currently but used to go to track days. Not at big of a PITA to "track" your bike up. New skins, lock wire, GTG.

The "636" in hotrodder636 comes from my affinity and use of a Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R. Loved that bike...my youngest brother has it now.

Outlander Systems
03-30-17, 16:55
Euro, real talk.

Get a beater if you're going to do track days.

Because your fairings are going to be fuuuuuuuuuucked up at some point. Them shits aint cheap, dawg.

An old, 2006 CBR600, happens to be cheap.

Outlander Systems
03-30-17, 16:56
Brosef, the 636 was epic AF. Had one. Loved it.

Not currently but used to go to track days. Not at big of a PITA to "track" your bike up. New skins, lock wire, GTG.

The "636" in hotrodder636 comes from my affinity and use of a Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R. Loved that bike...my youngest brother has it now.

Ryno12
03-30-17, 16:59
Race prepping isn't terribly expensive. Should be less than $700.

After doing some track days, street riding will be about as appealing as making out with your sister.

Holy crap, are those 1940 numbers? $700 won't get you anywhere. Tires, leathers, brakes, a set of glass, spares, stands, misc tools, gearing, etc...
Of course if you get fast enough, shit starts getting cheaper when others start paying the bills. Takes a lot of jack to get there though.

But yeah, I agree, street riding gets lame real fast after road racing.

hotrodder636
03-30-17, 17:10
Haha, I thought $700 was low too...I think I spent more on my AlpineStar leathers than that. Hell, my boots were half of that!

Ryno12
03-30-17, 17:26
Haha, I thought $700 was low too...I think I spent more on my AlpineStar leathers than that. Hell, my boots were half of that!

Yep, and I didn't even mention any mods. I'm thinking he'd be closer if he added a zero to that $700.

austinN4
03-30-17, 17:32
Anyone race Sportbikes?

There guys do. 600cc Honda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZG1nhgwgg

Outlander Systems
03-30-17, 17:35
I'm talking safety-wiring and a basic bitch tune LOL.

Bare minimum shizznizzel.

Leathers should be mandatory, period. Skin grafts are something I'm willing to knock without trying.

JC5188
03-30-17, 17:40
I like the larger frames---I'm a larger dude. The ZX-11D was my fave. Big enough to be really stable, yet small enough to throw it around. Puuuuuuulenty of go.

Was more a less a beater...and it got flogged on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
03-30-17, 17:40
I should clarify. I'm talking track day playing, and farting around. If you dudes are talking real deal competition...

Euro better empty out the safe, find a good local mech/tuner, and take a class from Keith Code.

http://superbikeschool.com/schedule/

Ryno12
03-30-17, 19:12
Euro, I'd hit up a local regional series in your area. I'm not sure what's available by you but I believe CCS still has regional races at Homestead & Daytona. There's track days throughout the year or sometimes on Wed/Thurs before the weekend races. Check shit out and ask questions. You can also take the necessary class right there to get your roadrace license. Don't waste your time or money on the big schools.

You'll need a quality set of leathers. A full set, not the cheesy two piece ones. A decent set of boots & gloves, a back protector, and most important, a good lid. (I'm partial to Arai.)
Ohh, and ditch the stupid Mohawk.

At minimum, you'll need to safety wire your bike. Pick up a rule book to know what's required. It's usually any bolt that has a fluid behind it. Don't stop there either. Safety wire your axle nuts, brake calipers, rear sets, etc. Anywhere that the loss of that particular nut/bolt would cause you to have a bad day.
You'll need good race tires, brake pads, steel braided brake lines, and a set of different front & rear sprockets to dial in your gearing.
Order a set of glass & keep the factory bodywork at home. You'll go down & factory plastic is heavy & expensive.
Reverse your shift pattern now (1 up, 5 down) & start practicing. Screwing up shift coming in to, or out of, a corner at speed sucks.
Get a good set of tools, including a nice pressure gauge. Get front and rear stands. Get a set tire warmers too.
Leave any ego at home. No matter how fast you are on the street, everyone at the track will hand your ass to you. Not saying that to be a dick, it's just true. Right at the moment that you're breaking soooo late into a corner, some dude will come flying by as he's turned around looking at you, shaking his head and giving you the finger, because you brake checked him.
Personally, I wouldn't start roadracing a 600. That's a pretty competitive class and at the regional amateur levels, can be a blood bath. Pick up an SV650 or something. Classes are smaller but still competitive.
Make sure you're checkbook is full & have a good time. It's an absolute blast.

Campbell
03-30-17, 19:30
Euro, I'd hit up a local regional series in your area. I'm not sure what's available by you but I believe CCS still has regional races at Homestead & Daytona. There's track days throughout the year or sometimes on Wed/Thurs before the weekend races. Check shit out and ask questions. You can also take the necessary class right there to get your roadrace license. Don't waste your time or money on the big schools.

You'll need a quality set of leathers. A full set, not the cheesy two piece ones. A decent set of boots & gloves, a back protector, and most important, a good lid. (I'm partial to Arai.)
Ohh, and ditch the stupid Mohawk.

At minimum, you'll need to safety wire your bike. Pick up a rule book to know what's required. It's usually any bolt that has a fluid behind it. Don't stop there either. Safety wire your axle nuts, brake calipers, rear sets, etc. Anywhere that the loss of that particular nut/bolt would cause you to have a bad day.
You'll need good race tires, brake pads, steel braided brake lines, and a set of different front & rear sprockets to dial in your gearing.
Order a set of glass & keep the factory bodywork at home. You'll go down & factory plastic is heavy & expensive.
Reverse your shift pattern now (1 up, 5 down) & start practicing. Screwing up shift coming in to, or out of, a corner at speed sucks.
Get a good set of tools, including a nice pressure gauge. Get front and rear stands. Get a set tire warmers too.
Leave any ego at home. No matter how fast you are on the street, everyone at the track will hand your ass to you. Not saying that to be a dick, it's just true. Right at the moment that you're breaking soooo late into a corner, some dude will come flying by as he's turned around looking at you, shaking his head and giving you the finger, because you brake checked him.
Personally, I wouldn't start roadracing a 600. That's a pretty competitive class and at the regional amateur levels, can be a blood bath. Pick up an SV650 or something. Classes are smaller but still competitive.
Make sure you're checkbook is full & have a good time. It's an absolute blast.

SV650 would be perfect...

1_click_off
03-30-17, 19:38
I got a buddy that rents out Calibogie every year and coordinates a week of racing. Private invitation only. He has always said the same things as mentioned earlier. The only thing I didn't see, be sure to flush your radiator and run nothing with glycol in it. He always says you will be very popular and real lonely at the same time if you spill antifreeze on the track. They have a dB limit at that track, so you may not want to change your packing until you find out if the track you are going to visit has dB limits.

Caeser25
03-30-17, 19:42
Euro, real talk.

Because your fairings are going to be fuuuuuuuuuucked up at some point. Them shits aint cheap, dawg.

This.

wildcard600
03-30-17, 19:58
Euro, real talk.

Agree. Unless you got cash to burn an older used bike is the way to go unless you just plan on putting around the track at street speed.

Ryno12
03-30-17, 20:08
Older bikes are fine if track days are all he wants to do. If he wants to only do a couple to see if he wants to race, then it's not worth it.
If he wants to race and be competitive an older ride is bad advice.

wildcard600
03-30-17, 21:10
Older bikes are fine if track days are all he wants to do. If he wants to only do a couple to see if he wants to race, then it's not worth it.
If he wants to race and be competitive an older ride is bad advice.

Agreed on that point as well.

I think we need some clarification from Euro whether he is talking track day fun or actual racing. If he wants to do legit races and be competitive he really needs to start somewhere else be it dirt bikes or small twins. Starting at the 600cc class in even regional races is dangerous, for him and for the other racers.

Dist. Expert 26
03-30-17, 21:22
I'd have to disagree with starting on a dirt bike. The only thing in common is that you have two wheels and a motor.

I'm only familiar with motocross, but are there not different ability classes (A,B,C)?

Ryno12
03-30-17, 21:31
Starting at the 600cc class in even regional races is dangerous, for him and for the other racers.

When I first started, it was already 2/3 way through the season & I was on a GSXR750 (remember those?). Then, my first full amateur season, I bought a year old CBR600 from a buddy who raced it the year prior. The final weekend that year there were 3 Flight-For-Lifes that landed at the track. All were for the Novice 600 classes. It got so bad, the officials stopped the races briefly & we all got a scolding.
Something about 2 & 3 wave starts with 80 bikes in the field that causes mayhem. Thankfully, I was always in front of the mess & never had to deal with it.

wildcard600
03-30-17, 21:33
I'd have to disagree with starting on a dirt bike. The only thing in common is that you have two wheels and a motor.

I'm only familiar with motocross, but are there not different ability classes (A,B,C)?

I suggested dirt bikes to get familiarity with racing in general. To your point, supermoto would be better and is very approachable to the novice.

I assume there are classes of riders, I know WERA has a number of them and you need to complete a race school to get a racing license. If it were me, I would run every track day I could for a year before I even considered enrolling in a race school. But thats just me.

Ryno12
03-30-17, 21:39

I motocrossed recreationally while I road raced, and I've had some high speed get-offs in my day, but I've never ****ed myself up more than I did on my KX250.
I'm still feeling pain from that damn thing 20 years later.

Eurodriver
03-30-17, 23:22
I appreciate the info. This is probably the only thread I've ever made where I hoped Ryno would chime in :)

To clarify, I am not trying to do MotoGP. I am speaking strictly about amateur track days. Being able to get rid of chicken strips and go WOT without fear of gravel or cops or guys like Digital Damage gunning for evil bikers.

I've already got a brand new bike and i don't want to buy another one and I don't want to lay this one down. If it happens on a track day it happens, but I'm not gonna go looking for it with regional semifinal knee dragging and I can't keep up with dudes in the corners anyway. This is FL. I have no experience there.

I guess I should have been more explicit in the OP.

Do you need a license for track days?

ETA I got good gloves and a Shoei RF1200 with the bike. Getting Kevlar lined jeans and some discreet riding boots and a mesh Joe Rocket jacket soon.

wildcard600
03-31-17, 00:08
I appreciate the info. This is probably the only thread I've ever made where I hoped Ryno would chime in :)

To clarify, I am not trying to do MotoGP. I am speaking strictly about amateur track days. Being able to get rid of chicken strips and go WOT without fear of gravel or cops or guys like Digital Damage gunning for evil bikers.

I've already got a brand new bike and i don't want to buy another one and I don't want to lay this one down. If it happens on a track day it happens, but I'm not gonna go looking for it with regional semifinal knee dragging and I can't keep up with dudes in the corners anyway. This is FL. I have no experience there.

ETA I got good gloves and a Shoei RF1200 with the bike. Getting Kevlar lined jeans and some discreet riding boots and a mesh Joe Rocket jacket soon.

Around here there are no prerequisites for track days other than a required safety class if it is your first time there. Then you sign waivers and you walk the track with a track official who points out the features of the course.

*edit* I would check with the track officials about the pants before you enroll in a event as you may need something more substantial. Kevlar jeans are not really considered protective equipment. And don't go cheap on boots. Plates and screws in your ankle are alot more expensive than a pair of Sidi's.

JC5188
03-31-17, 04:04
I motocrossed recreationally while I road raced, and I've had some high speed get-offs in my day, but I've never ****ed myself up more than I did on my KX250.

My office mate at work used to take his son and race mx competitively. Won a couple different state champs...mom made him quit after the second leg cast.

Screw dirt bike racing. They ain't no joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dist. Expert 26
03-31-17, 06:55

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

My favorite one was landing on some kids brand new KTM 65 going over a blind 50ft double. Flagger wasn't paying attention and by the time I was airborne it was too late. Went over the bars and my bike followed.

Ever been hit in the head by a 220lb 250?

Rayrevolver
03-31-17, 06:55

Pretty please, leave your new rocket at home, drop $1.5-2k on a race prepped POS track bike. Your first crash could total your 600... I've watched a brand new GSXR1K get totaled in the pits at 10mph!!! Shit happens.

A tank alone is a few hundred and with the light is right, small crashes can really add up.

SV650s are gutless but a great place to start. There used to be a cheap Ninja 250 class where I used to race.

Go buy a full leather suit, 1 piece. I started with a used suit and repaired it as I had my offs. Back+Chest protector.

FWIW - On my 3rd track day I crashed my baby, an RC51 street bike. After that, I raced it out and literally never rode on the street for a few years. But the crash cost me a lot of money. Traded the RC for a super moto, raced R6s with the other axe murderers in the middleweights.

If someone here still races, maybe they can get on the forums and find you a good bike.

Rayrevolver
03-31-17, 07:15
Another thought: rent a bike from an outfit associated with track days.

Show up and ride!

26 Inf
03-31-17, 09:20
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

My favorite one was landing on some kids brand new KTM 65 going over a blind 50ft double. Flagger wasn't paying attention and by the time I was airborne it was too late. Went over the bars and my bike followed.

Ever been hit in the head by a 220lb 250?

Oh yess, I've had the 3 second eternity of over the bars, hearing the bike winding down and thinking 'dayum this is going to hurt.'

Outlander Systems
03-31-17, 09:25
Bro.

Get Alpinestars boots. Period.

26 Inf
03-31-17, 09:30
*edit* I would check with the track officials about the pants before you enroll in a event as you may need something more substantial. Kevlar jeans are not really considered protective equipment. And don't go cheap on boots. Plates and screws in your ankle are alot more expensive than a pair of Sidi's.

You left out spine protection. I don't wear one while street riding, largely because I wear a shorty helmet, but if I'm on dirt I have on a Leatt GPX. They do skin grafts, and repair legs, shoulders and arms, but as far as I know, they are still are kind of in the dark about reconnecting the c-spine.

militarymoron
03-31-17, 10:31
Definitely go full leathers if you plan on doing track days. Some tracks don't allow two piece, and if they do, it's with a full-circumference zipper, not the small one in the back. I've given up motorcycle riding after my last accident in Sept 2015 (3 fractured vertebrae, 4 fractured ribs, partially collapsed lung and rotator cuff injury) - getting older and don't want to spend a year recovering each time - puts a real burden on my wife and 9 year old son when dad can't do anything. I've done numerous track days (never raced) and Keith Code's superbike school, but never crashed on the track. Went down 4 times in the canyons/street (fractured wrist, ankle, couple of other ribs etc), and if I wasn't a stickler about wearing good protective gear it could have been a lot worse. Full leathers (good ones - Dainese) saved my skin each time, and I'm grateful for integrated armour (plus separate spine protector).

Dist. Expert 26
03-31-17, 12:30
Oh yess, I've had the 3 second eternity of over the bars, hearing the bike winding down and thinking 'dayum this is going to hurt.'

I should add that the kids father was on the side of the jump making sure his precious angel was ok, not the least bit concerned about his bike laying in the worst possible place on the track.

I was full panic rev on that one, hoping the front wheel would come up enough to get over the other bike....It didn't. Upside was my bike barely got a scratch, the kids bike was pretty well wrecked.

Eurodriver
03-31-17, 14:57
Getting mixed posts here.

Is the consensus that I should not take my brand new 600 to a track?

Or just not race on it?

jpmuscle
03-31-17, 15:45

Or just not race on it?
My. 02 is this. Take it to the track and wallop on it absolutely but having a separate dedicated track bike is a much more viable solution. You will lay it down, you will break sh*t on it.

I raced motocross when I was a kid so that's not totally dissimilar but I do recall it being a ton of work. As I got older I wanted to get into sport bike racing really bad but the closest track to me was Watkins Glen and with college and what not I just didn't have the time.

When I had my ZX12-R I dabbled a little bit in LSR and that shit was awesome.

I miss it..

Campbell
03-31-17, 15:58
I'm actually starting to be confused by the thread also...
You said " you want to get rid of your chicken strips" and also not much time in the curves...
I would find a solid riding school, get pro instruction on supplied bikes and go from there.
A high speed high-side can be an expensive way to to rub your tires down on your first track day.
Good luck/stay safe

wildcard600
03-31-17, 16:16

Or just not race on it?

It depends on what you are trying to get out of it. If you are just planning to go and have a good time without worry of getting a ticket for spirited riding the chances of a get-off are probably pretty low. If you want to go and drag peg through every corner and make an attempt at putting down lap times (respectable or not) I would get a beater bike for that.

Ryno12
03-31-17, 17:35

Or just not race on it?

I think the mixed posts are coming from the thread title & then what you said below. First you asked about racing, then it seemed to turn into only track days.
Do you want to race? Do you only want to do track days? Do you plan on doing track days AND street riding with your same bike?
If you want to race, your bike is certainly capable of it but it'll require more mods to be competitive. You either race a bike or street ride on that bike. Realistically, you can't do both (and be competitive). That & it's a PITA to swap stuff around. I've seen guys "try" to do it but it's a lame idea & they sucked at racing.
If you want to just do track days & still street ride, I'd probably opt for a separate bike for each.
If you want to only do track days & not ride on the street, set your CBR up for it in the way I mentioned earlier.
If you just want to try a couple of track days on your CBR to help decide if you want to race said CBR, you'll still have to do the bare minimum mods to get it "track legal". If you don't want to invest in new glass for it until you decide it's a go, then just be careful. Get frame sliders & such.

My only deterrence to your 600 is if you decide to race it competitively. It's a brutal class to get your feet wet into road racing. Many have done it, including myself... just be prepared that it can be cut throat. Just about every race, you'll be leaning on one another, knocking elbows & bars, and leaving tire swirls on each other's bodywork. Don't get me wrong, that's a ton of fun... when it's with someone you trust, but there's a ton of idiot DBs out there too that will take you out in a heartbeat.
There's more relaxed classes that still offer competitive racing but there's less entries & more room to ride & learn.

Looking at getting into racing sportbikes but I'd like to just ride around a track a few times first.

To clarify, I am not trying to do MotoGP. I am speaking strictly about amateur track days.

Eurodriver
03-31-17, 20:08
Ahh. I see why the confusion now. It's me :).

It sounds like it's cool to hit the track a few times with my CBR to get a feel for it but shouldn't rely on that for even pushing it hard on a racetrack let alone actual racing.

I can get behind that. I dropped $10k on this bike after it was all said and done. It didn't even have 0 miles on it when I got it - there wasn't even a battery in the thing. It's currently sitting at 4 miles. I do not want to see that thing sliding down the pavement.

One thing does confuse me though.

Everyone said on a sportbike you should just take it to the track to enjoy it because you'll crash on the street.

But you all are saying you'll crash on the track too.

Does that mean no matter where I ride a bike I will crash?

GTF425
03-31-17, 20:11
It's not a matter of if, it's when. I had a nasty high side in 2010 and haven't ridden since.

But I would absolutely take the track over the street any day. You'll likely get up and walk away on the track. From what I see almost daily, you won't on the street.

SeriousStudent
03-31-17, 20:16
I used to run a bike on a track, about 35 years ago. The advice on leathers is absolutely correct, along with the best helmet you can afford. It was worth a deployment to Korea, to get some custom leather in Itaewon.

I'd follow the advice about hunting down some cheap scratched up fairings out of a motorcycle salvage yard. A long time ago, we used to go to Cycle Recycle in San Bernardino, and build some crazy fast stuff for cheap on a salvage title. Maybe there is another bike yard in southern Florida like that?

A lot of guys in my platoon used to skydive, race bikes, and SCUBA when deployed. Probably why we are all dead or crippled up now. :cool:

I'll never ride on the street again, but I'd love to get back on the track. Have fun!

Ryno12
03-31-17, 20:31
Ahh. I see why the confusion now. It's me :).

It sounds like it's cool to hit the track a few times with my CBR to get a feel for it but shouldn't rely on that for even pushing it hard on a racetrack let alone actual racing.

I can get behind that. I dropped $10k on this bike after it was all said and done. It didn't even have 0 miles on it when I got it - there wasn't even a battery in the thing. It's currently sitting at 4 miles. I do not want to see that thing sliding down the pavement.

One thing does confuse me though.

Everyone said on a sportbike you should just take it to the track to enjoy it because you'll crash on the street.

But you all are saying you'll crash on the track too.

Does that mean no matter where I ride a bike I will crash?

So this is what you got out of all the advice that everyone has taken time out of their day and given to you??

Enjoy your new bike...

Eurodriver
03-31-17, 23:17
So this is what you got out of all the advice that everyone has taken time out of their day and given to you??

Enjoy your new bike...

Never seen so many people get hung up on little things til I joined M4C. It was just a fun little quip about wrecking a lot - no need to take it seriously.

All of us, except Digital Damage because he has openly posted about his desire to murder bikers, are on the same team here. :)

I'm gonna hit up Jennings GP thanks to a PM I got and see if it's for me. I'll replace the antifreeze and safety wire the big 3 bolts. Just need to get some leathers and boots!

williejc
04-01-17, 03:43
It sounds as if racing bikes has an unacceptably high risk of injury. Serious injury may require surgery. Surgery means complicated recovery with pain and distressing emotional feelings of depression and hopelessness. Anybody here ever had an incompetent surgeon who was also a jerk? Debt is inevitable from loss of income and high medical costs and inability to pay bills. Good credit history soon becomes terrible credit history.

Eurodriver
04-01-17, 06:17
It sounds as if racing bikes has an unacceptably high risk of injury. Serious injury may require surgery. Surgery means complicated recovery with pain and distressing emotional feelings of depression and hopelessness. Anybody here ever had an incompetent surgeon who was also a jerk? Debt is inevitable from loss of income and high medical costs and inability to pay bills. Good credit history soon becomes terrible credit history.

This post sounds oddly specific.

Almost like you're trying to tell me something without telling me something :)

I've already got hardware in one foot. What's another? I've got to get that disability insurance though!

bp7178
04-01-17, 09:21
This is a link to a club in the midwest which hosts events.

http://midwestcaferacing.com/

There's a difference between just doing a few track days and racing. Without a doubt, if you're racing get a bike specifically for that purpose. For just doing track days there's some stuff you have to do equipment wise, and the rules can be pretty restrictive, no passing etc, but if you already have a bike don't feel you need to buy another right away. Find a club local to you. Most have websites and forums of their own.

If you have the means to take one of the California Superbike (Keith Code) classes I would, but its very expensive. I think his video "Twist of the Wrist" is on YouTube by now. Its a little cheesy but has tons of good info.

Ned Christiansen
04-01-17, 09:53
My bottom line, from the perspective of never having raced:

A. Track days on whatever you have, speedo pegged on "fun as hell and learning a lot" but not going past it into "must win at all costs". You can do this and never crash-- which doesn't mean you're not being manly enough about it.

B. Full race effort. Expensive as hell just to get in let alone to be competitive, requires the dedication of tons of time. No guarantee of a view from the podium even after years and many thousands of dollars. I suppose the fun / CDI factor might be higher..... dunno. Definitely more risk.

My opinion is that for most guys, A = .95xB.

Ryno12
04-01-17, 09:59
No offense to those recommending the Keith Code thing but that's an 1980-90's mindset. Those inside the modern racing scene tend laugh at the KC school. There's better (and cheaper) schools out there.
Euro already knows how to ride anyway. He likely needs some instruction on lines, techniques, and setups. Finding a school nearby is fine. Plenty of them around on regional race weekends or track days.
Unless you're local to one of the big so-called "schools" (and can get a discount), there's no point in traveling & paying the outrageous fees.
His best instruction would come from hooking up with some of the local fast guys & following them around in practice. Let them follow him around. At the end of the day, kick back & talk about everything over a few beers while sitting in the pits. Building a relationship with the fast crowd is far more beneficial than any school.

JusticeM4
04-01-17, 10:36

For trackdays, no license is required. You will need a full leather suit (either a 1piece or 2piece), track boots, gloves, and helmet. Prepping your bike is taking your mirrors off and taping anything glass or plastic (headlights, tail lights, and turn signals.

Jennings has a Track in north Florida (JenningsGP). That is what I recommend going to. Look for a trackday organization that holds track events and join them. There are usually multiple groups, and they split up the riders based on your rider skill and experience from Novice, Intermediate, and Expert/Advanced. If this is your first trackday you will be in Novice, and will have to move up the ranks to Advance/Expert as you gain skill and experience.

You will need make it to Advanced/Expert level to even think about doing actual racing. For racing, you will need to take a race class/school and get a Race license.

Good luck and Congrats on the new CBR! I used to have an 06 CBR600RR and did over a dozen trackdays at JenningsGP. Definitely a fun hobby but it gets very expensive.

williejc
04-01-17, 18:39
The last bike I rode had a magneto and kick starter. I heard Eurodriver bought a bike with a battery and electric starter because he's got a bad foot, and it's even got a seat warmer like one of them big fancy Goosewing jobbies. That's technology for you. I heard a cop refer to a motorcycle helmet as a brain bucket.

militarymoron
04-01-17, 19:02
No offense to those recommending the Keith Code thing but that's an 1980-90's mindset.
Well, you'd be correct, since I went there in the 90's :D

Firefly
04-01-17, 19:11
The last bike I rode had a magneto and kick starter. I heard Eurodriver bought a bike with a battery and electric starter because he's got a bad foot, and it's even got a seat warmer like one of them big fancy Goosewing jobbies. That's technology for you. I heard a cop refer to a motorcycle helmet as a brain bucket.

K-pots are brain buckets. Bike helmets are melon catchers. All I have to contribute as I am too lanky for a bike and my hopes of being a 12 o' clock boy shall never see fruition

williejc
04-01-17, 21:29
I've already demonstrated that I'm ignorant of bikes. I had to google Keith Code because I had never heard of him. The article was interesting, and of course being a dummy, I didn't understand it. But I'm curious to hear what went out of favor between the 80's and now regarding racing a bike. It's an honest no troll question. Fly man and Eurodriver may not know either. ;)

T2C
04-01-17, 21:54

Ryno12
04-01-17, 22:47
I've already demonstrated that I'm ignorant of bikes. I had to google Keith Code because I had never heard of him. The article was interesting, and of course being a dummy, I didn't understand it. But I'm curious to hear what went out of favor between the 80's and now regarding racing a bike. It's an honest no troll question. Fly man and Eurodriver may not know either. ;)

Are you asking about what happened to cause the declining popularity of motorcycle road racing in the US?

Three words: Daytona Motorsports Group

DMG took over AMA Pro Road Racing in 2008 and single handedly ran US professional road racing into the ground. They messed with the classes & put a NASCAR twist on things. (Flying starts and such) They completely ruined it to the point that the factory teams were dropping out & so was TV coverage. Once the factory teams were gone and there's little to no coverage, the fan base shriveled.

Prior to the DMG coming on to the scene, fans were getting sick of the Mat Mladin domination so viewership was already starting to slip slightly.

It's probably too late for the sport to make a comeback and I wish MotoAmerica the best but in my opinion, the first thing they need to do is bring back the old classes.

750 Superbike
750 Super Sport
600 Super Sport
1000 Formula Extreme
883 Harleys
250 2-Stroke class

If the manufacturers don't want to bring back the 750, the switch it to the 1000.

They can also start by making the Daytona 200 the Superbike class again. (I never get sick of watching those Scott Russell reruns)

26 Inf
04-01-17, 22:49
Never seen so many people get hung up on little things til I joined M4C. It was just a fun little quip about wrecking a lot - no need to take it seriously.

All of us, except Digital Damage because he has openly posted about his desire to murder bikers, are on the same team here. :)

That is what has confused me about this entire thread. From the thread sometime ago where you were going all on about us cagers, I just assumed you were a lane splitting son of a gun. Now it sounds as if this is your first bike. Whatsup?

Williejc speaks the truth re injuries. That is what got me off MX'ing - a nice talk in the boss's office about my sick leave and if I ever hurt myself racing, when my sick days were up there would be no leave without pay. This was different than the Marines who either put me on light duty or just shipped me off to the Naval Hospital.

Ned Christiansen
04-02-17, 15:55
Eurodriver, your worries are over. I want to help sponsor your racing effort :-)

Cleaning out the garage today I fount my handlebar strap for tying down the Ducati. I have the Duc no more and won't be trailering the BSA anywhere so-- it's yours if you can use it.

This is not tiedown straps, this is the strap thingy that goes over the handlebars to attach tiedowns to. If you're going to be trailering a bike or trucking it you will need this.

Kinda like this one:

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/300/0000-high-roller-handlebar-harness-red-635615489251574161.jpg

williejc
04-02-17, 16:36
Ryno, thanks for the explanation. Even I had noticed that ty coverage of the sport had lessened. I used to watch some of these races with fascination and disbelief at the same time. I soon realized that athletic traits of agility and strength were two requirements of the game. Big balls were another.

1_click_off
04-02-17, 17:19
Eurodriver, your worries are over. I want to help sponsor your racing effort :-)

Cleaning out the garage today I fount my handlebar strap for tying down the Ducati. I have the Duc no more and won't be trailering the BSA anywhere so-- it's yours if you can use it.

This is not tiedown straps, this is the strap thingy that goes over the handlebars to attach tiedowns to. If you're going to be trailering a bike or trucking it you will need this.

Kinda like this one:

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/300/0000-high-roller-handlebar-harness-red-635615489251574161.jpg

I never cared for those. I found them to make my grips bunch up and get a space between the end of the grip and the handle bar end. So Euro, I will sponsor you too with a spare.

Also, if you pay the shipping I will send you my old front and rear flip over jacks.

Eurodriver
04-02-17, 21:56
https://hcnews.com/pages/photos/driver-in-motorcycle-video-sentenced-to-15-years/

Guys like that are why I really don't enjoy riding sportbikes on the street.

On the other hand, I've been watching some racing footage and don't have the desire for any of that shenanigans either. Some dudes get way too intense!

RE: my initial request for racing info and now trackday info - yes I changed my mind I have no desire to "race" anymore based on the information presented in this thread.

1 click off I'll pm you in the AM :)

As far as transport goes I am looking at a Black Widow hitch carrier. Should be >500lbs and won't require a trailer. Might need airbags in the rear springs but nothing too crazy.

militarymoron
04-03-17, 10:38
I watched 'Hitting the apex' a couple of weeks ago on Amazon Prime - check it out if you haven't already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmT_vnJ1jzw

1_click_off
04-09-17, 07:39
Eurodriver, clear some inbox space.

Ned Christiansen
04-22-17, 13:17
Watching Moto GP now live in Austin.

TomMcC
04-22-17, 13:43
I watched 'Hitting the apex' a couple of weeks ago on Amazon Prime - check it out if you haven't already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmT_vnJ1jzw

This reminded me of when I used to be into GP racing back when Doohan and Rainey were king. Went to Laguna Seca many a time, what a race. There was nothing like watching one of these guys two wheel slide a 500cc GP bike through a corner and at the exit nail the throttle and watch the whole bike shutter under some fierce acceleration.

austinN4
04-22-17, 14:23
MotoGP is at COTA in Austin this weekend. US TV coverage on beIN Sports: http://www.beinsports.com/us/
Check your local listings.

Ryno12
05-14-17, 17:45
I thought we had a MotoGP thread here somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Anyway...

Any of you MotoGP fans see this?
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/barcelona-party-seeks-clampdown-on-motogp-grid-girls-904105/

Absolutely ridiculous. I wonder if this will get any traction. Worse yet, take hold in any other international venues or even other types of racing like F1.

Dist. Expert 26
05-14-17, 19:58
Doubtful. Pretty girls attract attention to sponsors way more efficiently than some dude in leathers. Monster Energy has it down to a science.