PDA

View Full Version : How I got shot

Littlelebowski
09-24-08, 21:41
The following pictures depict the aftermath of a gun shot wound inflicted by a .45ACP 230 grn. hollow point projectile, fired at a distance of less than two feet from a 4” barreled Kimber Pro Carry 1911.

The victim is a healthy, robust, adult male, thirty-three years old, and an eight year veteran of the United States Marine Corps.

The injury was inflicted while the victim was in the front seat of his Jeep Cherokee, driving two passengers whom he described as co-workers to the firing range. From the driver’s seat, the victim described hearing a muffled ‘pop’ and accompanying spontaneous loss of use of his right arm. He described a total loss of digital mobility, and a sensation as if his arm were a “Tentacle or over cooked noodle just limply hanging there, totally useless and unresponsive.”*
Apparently, one of the passengers had taken the Kimber pistol from the range bag while sitting behind the victim. Outside the victim’s field of view, the passenger had inserted a loaded magazine, and cycled the action with his index finger resting on the trigger, discharging the weapon.
The projectile caused a ‘through and through’ injury, shattering the bones in the elbow, and exiting the front of the arm, where it grazed the victims rib before terminating in the dash board of the vehicle.
The small wound that appears to be a stab wound is actually the exit path of the projectile, having passed through the front of the victims arm.
The victim described himself as shocked but lucid, with the pain setting in rapidly over the first five minutes, and no possible use of the injured arm. He was able to safely stop the vehicle, exit, and enter the passenger side with assistance, allowing his passenger to drive him to the hospital. Once in the passenger seat, he described the bleeding as minimal, in consideration of the injury, but the effects of shock left him sweating and groaning, biting his uninjured arm to steady himself.

Surgery was not started until several hours after the time of injury, and a subsequent transport to a different facility. According to the victims account, any movement or ‘jostling’ of the limb during this time caused excruciating pain.

The photo of the X-ray indicates the extent of the reconstruction necessary. Bone grafts were taken from the right hip to repair the damage, and the expected 80-90% recovery of limb mobility and strength is being described as ‘miraculous.’ The first three major surgeries occurred over two days, requiring four bolts and other pictured hardware. The victim described the pain after the surgery exceeding that of the original wound significantly. The ordeal left him weak, dehydrated, and afflicted with further injuries from catheterization and other improper or rushed care. His recovery is not yet complete, though he has returned to work on restricted duty.

The injury provides us with several lessons:
First, and most importantly, is the tragic result of failing to follow the basic fire arms safety rules. Uncertain of his background or muzzle direction and with finger on the trigger, the shooter managed to inflict a permanent injury through negligence alone.

Second, is the total and instant loss of use of the injured limb. Though the victim described himself as mobile, and lucid, use of the limb in any way was beyond his capability. Had this been a fighting situation, he would not have been able to use his dominant hand for even the most rudimentary of tasks, even though he remained able to “fight” for a few critical moments more.

Third, is the nature of the wound. Much is hypothesized about the effects of different types of munitions from different arms. Here we see an undoing of popular belief, where a hollow cavity projectile expanded, doing devastating damage on impact with bone, but proceeded through the limb, leaving a small exit wound. Though a single injury is not definitive, it does illustrate the falseness of some assumptions about the behavior of bullets. Especially those established by use of flesh simulating media, such as ballistic gelatin, that lack the skeletal structure and tension of living flesh.

Finally, is the lesson of determination. The victim retained control of the situation, and of the vehicle. He acted to gain medical assistance, and did not panic. This saved his limb, and possibly his life. Beyond that, he did not accept the injury as limiting, and fought to regain use of his limb, aiding in his recovery.

The victim remains to this day an avid shooter and proponent of fire arms. He takes pleasure in his continued use, and ownership of the fire arm he was shot with, and wishes most of all that his injury will serve to help educate other shooters on safety, and survival.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/gunshot1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00211-1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00204.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00205.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/stitches2.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/stitches1.jpg

M4arc
09-24-08, 21:45
DAMN :eek:

IroquoisSnakePlissken
09-24-08, 22:03
This Little Lebowski is most certainly an urban achiever.

SeriousStudent
09-24-08, 22:05
Ouch, I hope you heal quickly.

Part of me wonders if you returned fire.......

SHIVAN
09-24-08, 22:10
I'd have had a major problem with reconciling this accident with my "co-workers".

Hope you are getting better.:)

ZDL
09-24-08, 22:23
$#%@! Hope you heal quickly brother!

On the upside, you have met at least one of the requirements to becoming a successful rap star. Look forward to your album.

Striker5
09-24-08, 22:37
Dude....

trio
09-24-08, 22:44
i remember hearing about this when it happened from some of my acquaitances that work at VA Arms....

all I can say is I hope your recovery is continuing, and that you are a complete badass for not letting the turkeys get you down....

and I mean that in all honesty, when I first heard your story, i thought not only of the possible long term physical effects if it happened to me, but much deeper mental things....

not saying this isn't happening, but extreme kudos to you for busting ass and working your way through it....that in and of itself is an accomplishment a small portion of the population is capable of.....

i'd say it was partially due to your time in the Corps, but as a former Army puke I know that likely only acted as a hinderance :p

seriously though, keep healing and well done

HAMMERDROP
09-24-08, 23:26
I stopped a semi wadcutter .38 with my breast bone when I was 19 years old.
No where as intense as your wound 'LL' - jeez sure makes you feel mortal doesn't it ?

Michael

Littlelebowski
09-25-08, 07:05
It sure does make you feel mortal. I wasn't in any mood to return fire.

Current status is that I'm on my second bone graft to heal up the gap in my humerus. Waiting on the material that has grown and spanned the gap to calcify and turn into bone.

twodollarbill
09-25-08, 09:34
Dam!!!
Recovery is a bitch watching others have all the fun too.
My misfortune was not inflicted upon me, but a 90% pinched nerve
in my neck. I had a "limp-noodle" left arm and the pain of a knife
scrapping the meat off my bone from shoulder to finger tips.
Surgery brought everything back + 80%....but no my seat time for this fly boy.

HES
09-25-08, 09:36
Daer God, sorry that you are having to endure this. How much use of your right arm have you recovered as a percentage? Are you now shooting left handed?

C4IGrant
09-25-08, 09:43
I'd have had a major problem with reconciling this accident with my "co-workers".

Hope you are getting better.:)

Uh YA! MAJOR PROBLEM.

C4

MaceWindu
09-25-08, 10:10
humerus

Not a damn thing "funny" about that...:mad:

Mace

markm
09-25-08, 10:26

That's the understatement of the century. I have such a hot temper, I'd likely have killed the **** right there on the spot.

Excellent reason NEVER to go shooting with untrained retards.

SHIVAN
09-25-08, 10:30
I've heard of people who never go to public ranges, or hunt public land, without at least IIIA body armor on their bodies. Some have ventured to tell me they would wear thier CIRAS or Eagle PC with plates simply to sight-in rifles during the opening weeks of deer season.

I guess I know why now...:eek:

markm
09-25-08, 10:38
I've heard of people who never go to public ranges, or hunt public land, without at least IIIA body armor on their bodies. Some have ventured to tell me they would wear thier CIRAS or Eagle PC with plates simply to sight-in rifles during the opening weeks of deer season.

I guess I know why now...:eek:

No shit about it. My boss and I sat and read about all the hunting deaths in Wisconcin one day. There are some exceptionally stupid people with rifles out in the woods during deer season. WOW!

Jay Cunningham
09-25-08, 10:43
A lot of these untrained people happen to be "open carry" advocates...

Tungsten
09-25-08, 10:57
Lebowski, would you permit me to repost this on our local gun owners forum? It presents a strong lesson that many of them could benefit from.

Namely, don't finger your weapons!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

K.L. Davis
09-25-08, 11:33
Wow... My best wishes towards a successful recovery.

Ridge_Runner_5
09-25-08, 12:07
That's the understatement of the century. I have such a hot temper, I'd likely have killed the **** right there on the spot.

I'd be inclined to agree...I'd rip that weapon out of his hand and return the favor...

I certainly hope you dont go shooting with that guy anymore?

variablebinary
09-25-08, 12:23

You should try and get that into a fortune cookie.

Littlelebowski
09-25-08, 12:28

Having been through it, I doubt your temper would have had much chance to do anything. It's one thing to say "I'd likely have killed the guy on the spot" and it was quite different there in person, I can assure you.

No, I don't talk to the guy anymore and he disappeared. Trying to find him (via my lawyer) for the obvious reason. For a while I wouldn't go shooting with anyone who hadn't graduated Marine Corps Boot Camp but I've relaxed my standards a hair.

Littlelebowski
09-25-08, 12:29
Lebowski, would you permit me to repost this on our local gun owners forum? It presents a strong lesson that many of them could benefit from.

Namely, don't finger your weapons!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

No prob.

Littlelebowski
09-25-08, 12:30
Daer God, sorry that you are having to endure this. How much use of your right arm have you recovered as a percentage? Are you now shooting left handed?

Got use of my fingers back but the arm is locked into a 90 degree angle because of the internal hardware so that it will heal properly.

I shoot a bit left handed. I can shoot mild recoiling handguns with both hands and rifles are fine.

FlyAndFight
09-25-08, 12:39
Praying for a speedy recovery.

Ouch! :eek:

ToddG
09-25-08, 12:51
Meeting Littlelebowski at the range recently, I'd say he's recovering with a great attitude! His arm is frakked up but the rest of him is 100%.

I've copied this story (with Little's permission) to my site so it has a permanent home. Thanks again for sharing the details of the incident and your recovery, dude. Keep us in the loop as things progress and if you need anything, you know how to reach me.

Stay safe!

b_saan
09-25-08, 12:54
Holy shit, how long ago did that happen? Good luck on your continuing recovery and thank God that the douchebag's aim wasn't a bit further left as it could have been all over.

Hopefully you're able to track him down for reimbursement.

Littlelebowski
09-25-08, 13:25
It happened in May of 2007. Two bone grafts and a blood clot so far.

SHIVAN
09-25-08, 13:29
Having been through it, I doubt your temper would have had much chance to do anything. It's one thing to say "I'd likely have killed the guy on the spot" and it was quite different there in person, I can assure you.

I can see if you knew them somewhat and did not feel threatened, or knew it was accidental. On a lonely range, or getting shot by someone you barely knew -- do you think it would have been a different reaction?

No, I don't talk to the guy anymore and he disappeared. Trying to find him (via my lawyer) for the obvious reason.

So he is a dumbass AND less than a man. Only a true pussy tries to slip his responsibilities! I hope your lawyer finds him.

Littlelebowski
09-25-08, 13:33
If I was being shot at, I could have returned fire. However, I did the logical thing instead and got to the hospital ASAP. The shock set in within less than 5 minutes. I was not cold, I was very hot and in a large amount of pain.

I'm kind of amazed about the guy too. If he would have just offered a little help I wouldn't be trying to find him.

markm
09-25-08, 13:41

Yeah! I hear you. Your story just pisses me off.

Littlelebowski
09-25-08, 13:43
I want to make the bullet into a plaque or a paperweight with the 4 rules below it. After seeing how it expanded, I recommend the Winchester white box "personal defense" ammo. I still have bits of it in my arm.

ZDL
09-25-08, 13:55
If I was being shot at, I could have returned fire. However, I did the logical thing instead and got to the hospital ASAP. The shock set in within less than 5 minutes. I was not cold, I was very hot and in a large amount of pain.

I'm kind of amazed about the guy too. If he would have just offered a little help I wouldn't be trying to find him.

Your situation sucks from every angle man except being alive. I hope you recover fast, find the guy, and continue to pass this information along. A reminder is always beneficial.

sgthoskins
09-25-08, 15:42
Thanks for posting the story. I hope you eventually recover completely leatherneck.

PRGGodfather
09-25-08, 15:59
Heal well, brother. Good attitude on your part.

That assclown who shot you needs to man up. You can run but you can't hide.

Best to you and yours...

Alpha Sierra
09-25-08, 16:52
This is the reason why I have taken guns away from people that I took shooting and just could not keep their fingers off the f*5^$%ing trigger. :mad:

Two years ago I broke one of the bones in my foot in a fall. The pain was excruciating and the worst I have ever felt. I cannot even comprehend what kind of pain a bullet wound would cause.

ThirdWatcher
09-25-08, 21:10
What an ordeal! It didn't kill you and it has obviously made you stronger.

Everyone knows what they would do when they get shot, but things like shock and nerve damage are very real, and we can't just 'will them away'.

Keep fighting the good fight... I pray you make as full a recovery as possible.

RogerinTPA
09-25-08, 21:17
Damn Bro....sorry you have to go through all of that. That's one of the main reasons why I conduct a through safety briefing before getting to the range and keep the weapons (except for my CCW) in the trunk. FYI, because of the numerous ass clowns roaming the woods, I don't dear hunt anymore. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you find that stupid motherf--ker that shot you.

Lumpy196
09-26-08, 02:15
Holy hell man. Thanks for posting that.

Robb Jensen
09-26-08, 07:20

Current status is that I'm on my second bone graft to heal up the gap in my humerus. Waiting on the material that has grown and spanned the gap to calcify and turn into bone.

Good you're healing up quickly. :D

I know the feeling between 2000-2004 I had four surgeries, two were related to a bad vehicle accident at work (I totaled two cars in the freezing rain in Reston while I was driving a 15K lb truck) this required cervical fusion in my neck C5-C7 with a titanium plate and 9 screws.........It does show you how fragile you really are.

BigSam
09-26-08, 16:14
Damn that sucks!!

I wish upon you a speedy recovery.

RHR
09-26-08, 20:02

What did he do after you were shot?

MarshallDodge
09-28-08, 16:26
This is the third story I have read about accidental discharges this week!

Glad to hear that you are doing well. :)

30 cal slut
09-28-08, 16:40
All I can say is ...

F*ck. :eek:

QuickStrike
09-29-08, 03:21
Hope you heal fast and find that guy.

geezerbutler
09-29-08, 07:05
Best wishes on the recovery. and thanks for the post.

The one thing I stress when teaching a class is:

If a 20 year SWAT veteran (pick any department) can have an AD, then you certainly can as well, if you don't follow The Cardinal Rules of Firearms Safety.

During an agency qualification about 10 years ago a buddy of mine put a .40 cal hollowpoint down the length of his leg when returning to the holster.

Cause, simple..... finger on the trigger when returning to the holster.

It was more of a grazing/tearing wound but it could have destroyed his femur or knee and caused permanent damage. He ended up with 30 or so staples.

For some people AD's are pure negligence, for others it is inexperience. Either way, those types scare the hell out of me.

When I'm going over safety, I always get the feeling there's a guy in a class going "Yeah, Yeah just get on with the shooting". This will be the same ASS CLOWN (Thank you Michael Bolton :D) that blows a round off inadvertently a half hour later.

DocGKR
09-30-08, 01:55
Best wishes on your continued recovery.

I am unclear on the following:

"Third, is the nature of the wound. Much is hypothesized about the effects of different types of munitions from different arms. Here we see an undoing of popular belief, where a hollow cavity projectile expanded, doing devastating damage on impact with bone, but proceeded through the limb, leaving a small exit wound. Though a single injury is not definitive, it does illustrate the falseness of some assumptions about the behavior of bullets. Especially those established by use of flesh simulating media, such as ballistic gelatin, that lack the skeletal structure and tension of living flesh."

The x-ray and wound description are fairly typical for a 230 gr .45 ACP JHP fired at close range through bone--including the unremarkable exit wound. Dr. Lane's presentation at the FBI 1993 Wound Ballistics Seminar discussed how only the heavier .45 ACP projectiles were able to crush through bones, while the lighter, smaller, faster bullets like 9 mm did not.

Littlelebowski
09-30-08, 05:29
I can give you the contact information of the guy who wrote it, Doc. That's it. I didn't write it.

d90king
09-30-08, 06:49
I wish you a speedy recovery, glad you are okay and haven't lost your passion for gunpowder and lead.

Ned Christiansen
09-30-08, 08:54
I have to think it hasn't been pleasant writing this up and telling all about it, but I'm tippin' my hat to you for putting it out here as a lesson to folks. I wish you a speedy and full recovery, LL.

Littlelebowski
09-30-08, 09:04
Thanks, Ned. The well wishes mean a lot from everybody and I can honestly say the shooting community has been very supportive of my little ordeal, especially CavArms.

A few months ago, I had hit rock bottom financially. Disability was 2 months behind on payments, medical bills were piling up, I was a Wyoming boy and a shooter trapped in Northern VA with a bad right arm, and I had to sell some guns to make ends meet. Within a few hours of posting my custom ordered Nighthawk Predator for sale on TOS, the owner of CavArms volunteered a complete rifle to raffle off to pay my expenses.

So I'm humbled to this day by CavArm's generosity. I did make it through that tough time and turned down their offer so they went ahead and sent me a lower as a get well gift.

I really don't have the words for that act of kindness and brotherhood but the emotion's there. Thank you, CavArms. Karma will catch up with you, brothers and you'll get through this BATF nonsense.

IdahoCorsair
09-30-08, 09:20
I hope and pray it heals quickly for ya!

take unrelated questions/complaints etc to PMs---gotm4

warpigM-4
09-30-08, 11:45
wow after reading your story,I am just shocked! the guy who caused this bailed on you.I have many "so-called friends" screw me but never to that degree .I wish you never had this happen ,But you have a great outlook and a positive attitude .you will overcome in time. God's Speed

PushPull
09-30-08, 13:39
Thanks for sharing and thank the gods he didn't pop you in the melon, spine, liver....

Good luck!

garryowen
10-02-08, 20:02
I really don't have the words for that act of kindness and brotherhood but the emotion's there. Thank you, CavArms. Karma will catch up with you, brothers and you'll get through this BATF nonsense.

You got dealt a bad hand and we were in a position to help out in what small way we could. To quote Benjamin Franklin: "we must all hang together or surely we will all hang separately."

dp509
10-03-08, 01:09
I pray for your speedy recovery.

YOU DID WELL :cool:

Jgyolai
10-04-08, 13:51
Best wishes and a speedy recovery. I just healed up from a motorcycle accident last year and still have the hardware in my elbow as well. it sucks when you accidentally touch it or slightly tap it on a door frame, huh? lol i hate that.

Littlelebowski
10-04-08, 14:09
I sure could use some help tracking down the guy that shot me to send him a letter from my lawyer. PM me if you could help.

Bama-Shooter
10-06-08, 12:03
Hope you have speedy and full recovery.

Violated the basic four rules.

UNIT 6639
10-08-08, 09:02
I sure could use some help tracking down the guy that shot me to send him a letter from my lawyer. PM me if you could help.

Forgive me if I missed it, but, was the guy not in the back seat with you? In the vehicle when he shot you?

I am assuming you drove yourself to the hospital, but what happened to the guy between the time he shot you and you driving to the hospital?

Did you pull over and let him out and he dissapeared after that, he was a co worker correct? Did he quit coming to work to avoid you?

Littlelebowski
10-08-08, 09:20
Forgive me if I missed it, but, was the guy not in the back seat with you? In the vehicle when he shot you?

I am assuming you drove yourself to the hospital, but what happened to the guy between the time he shot you and you driving to the hospital?

Did you pull over and let him out and he dissapeared after that, he was a co worker correct? Did he quit coming to work to avoid you?

Yes, he was in the back seat. Another passenger drove. He got picked up by his brother at the hospital. He went back to work, I never went back.

UNIT 6639
10-08-08, 09:30
Yes, he was in the back seat. Another passenger drove. He got picked up by his brother at the hospital. He went back to work, I never went back.

Ohhhh, ok :D , hey , you can't get a hold of him at work? I know at my job, we are not permmited to give any info out about employee's so maybe your job is the same way.

Is this not something you can get LE involved in? I mean, I know it was an accident, but, the guy DID shoot you, if you need to get in contact with him for legal reasons, he should have to make himself available to you.

Littlelebowski
10-08-08, 09:33
Ohhhh, ok :D , hey , you can't get a hold of him at work? I know at my job, we are not permmited to give any info out about employee's so maybe your job is the same way.

Is this not something you can get LE involved in? I mean, I know it was an accident, but, the guy DID shoot you, if you need to get in contact with him for legal reasons, he should have to make himself available to you.

I don't think so since I didn't press criminal charges. Any LEOs here care to shed light on the subject?

UNIT 6639
10-08-08, 09:40
I don't think so since I didn't press criminal charges. Any LEOs here care to shed light on the subject?

I would think you could contact LE, its not like he bumped into you and caused a slight abrasion, this is an accidental shooting we are talking about.

UNIT 6639
10-08-08, 10:00
In any case, I hope you make a 100% recovery and get yourself back in good shape ASAP. ;)

whitecoyote
10-26-08, 18:39
[i]
Apparently, one of the passengers had taken the Kimber pistol from the range bag while sitting behind the victim. Outside the victim’s field of view, the passenger had inserted a loaded magazine, and cycled the action with his index finger resting on the trigger, discharging the weapon.
I'm surprised no one picked up on this statement from the original post.
Maybe it's the way it was written, or am I being pickey?
A 1911 can't fire unless the trigger is released, then pulled again.
Was the Kimber confiscated by Law Enforcement, so it can be examined to see if there was a mechanical failure, or if it was human error?

Littlebowski,
We all wish you a speedy, and full recovery!

Littlelebowski
10-26-08, 18:41
It's here at my house and mechanically fine. The guy said he cycled it with finger on the trigger in the police report so there's probably a disconnect there and with what actually happened.

ToddG
10-26-08, 18:46
Odds are there was enough "bounce" in his finger movement to discharge the gun when the slide moved forward. This is assuming he (the shooter, not Li'lb) didn't just say what he thought he needed to when making the police report. "I'm a frakking idiot and pulled the trigger" doesn't sound quite as good as "the gun just went off," right?

Eye Spy
10-27-08, 08:36
OUCH!!!:eek: That IS going to leave a mark!

Thank God for small blessings! A few inches to the left, and it would have been a different story! :(

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Stay safe ... everybody!

signal4l
10-27-08, 11:32
There are some very good internet based "people finder" websites. You may want to try Lexis Nexis or something similar in an effort to find this moron.

markm
10-27-08, 12:03
This is assuming he (the shooter, not Li'lb) didn't just say what he thought he needed to when making the police report. "I'm a frakking idiot and pulled the trigger" doesn't sound quite as good as "the gun just went off," right?

In negligent discharges, the gun always "just goes off".

There's people that justifiably shoot attackers, and that's what they say.

Ryo
10-27-08, 17:34
I hope you find him.. and I hope you heal.

thanks for sharing.. make sure idiots and non idiots not touch and load a gun in the car. Can't understand what that guy was thinking, but he should have his ownership with guns revoked as a penalty.

Littlelebowski
11-26-08, 19:22
I've been here for years (see who catches that song quote).

The bone in my arm is healed. No more cast or sling for me. I am now exercising to get full range of motion back (don't have much) and start physical therapy next week.

I put 300 rounds through my new M&P tonight to celebrate. Bottles of Scotch and ammo are being accepted as congratulation gifts. Heck, booze of any sort :D

Anyone who can help me track the guy who shot me, please PM me.

ZDL
11-26-08, 19:37

The bone in my arm is healed. No more cast or sling for me. I am now exercising to get full range of motion back (don't have much) and start physical therapy next week.

I put 300 rounds through my new M&P tonight to celebrate. Bottles of Scotch and ammo are being accepted as congratulation gifts. Heck, booze of any sort :D

ALRIGHT!!! Great news man. Glad to hear it. :D

Hope you find the d-bag. I really do.

Robb Jensen
11-26-08, 19:40

I can help with a some lessons on how to shoot handguns better and faster, but Scotch and ammo I can't afford to give away! ;)

Hersh
11-26-08, 20:06
Holy shit man, glad you're doing ok!

Littlelebowski
12-03-08, 22:02
I can help with a some lessons on how to shoot handguns better and faster, but Scotch and ammo I can't afford to give away! ;)

How about your lessons on how to pick up chicks :D

Starting physical therapy next week. Anyone here remember that Saturday Night Live skit about "The Rapists" with Sean Connery?

Gentoo
12-04-08, 04:47
Damm, thats messed up. Glad to hear you are doing better.

Good luck finding the guy.

gun papa
12-04-08, 05:14
All I can say is WOW. Glad you only got it in the arm and not the back. papa

hp35
12-04-08, 09:06
Did you find the guy yet?

Sudden
12-05-08, 07:41
The victim remains to this day an avid shooter and proponent of fire arms. He takes pleasure in his continued use, and ownership of the fire arm he was shot with, and wishes most of all that his injury will serve to help educate other shooters on safety, and survival.

Does this mean he shot you with your own gun or did you just keep the gun after being shot with it?

Mjolnir
12-05-08, 20:31

I've got you in my prayers, brother.

P.S.

I had a incident years ago that required a bone graft. This is what I took to heal it totally in only four weeks:

• Silica and Magnesium is the best method of getting Calcium via Biological Transmutation. See the “Kervan Effect” for more details about the mechanism of this complex reaction.
• Vitamin D
• Magnesium
• Zinc
• Phosphorous
• Bone Meal
• Boron
• Anti-oxidants [including vitamins A, C, E, Garlic, and various seed extracts [pycnogenols] like grape, pine bark and Noni]. Also, Wheatgrass and Barley grass are very high in Superoxide Dimutase, SOD, which is known for its anti-aging properties. Honey, Bee pollen, Propolis and Royal Jelly are also very powerful anti-oxidants and are known for their anti-aging properties.
• A complete free-form Essential Amino Acid complex, though specifically Acetyl-L Arginine, Leucine, Valine, Glutamine and Cysteine are specifically mentioned for general wound healing.
• DHEA, a precursor to testosterone [will turn to estrogen for women], also assists in increasing bone density. It can be found just about everywhere.
• Homeopathic Remedies: Symphytum, Hypericum, Arnica (for pain and swelling), Bryonia (for pain), Ruta graveolens, Comfrey and Eupatorium peroliatum. Go to a privately owned Health Food Store to find a better selection of homeopathic remedies.

Keep us posted, please.

Littlelebowski
12-11-08, 18:40
Here's the bullet I got shot with. Todd, if these aren't good enough I can send you the raw photos.

You can see a bit of bone on it.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/img_0591.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/img_0592.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/img_0590.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/img_0593.jpg

RAM Engineer
12-11-08, 18:43
EWWWW! It looks like you dug it out of a pumpkin! :p

bkb0000
12-11-08, 19:12
Here's the bullet I got shot with. Todd, if these aren't good enough I can send you the raw photos.

You can see a bit of bone on it.

that is ****in KNARLY. i'd definately make a plaque or something.

i've grown REALLY paranoid about people and guns in the last few years. maybe im just getting older and more observant, but it seems like i'm coming across way more idiot/gun combinations. i was at a machining tool store about a week ago chatting with the clerk when he pulled out his "bersa .380" to show me, and he's pointing it RIGHT at me while trying to figure out how to unload it, flipping switches and pressing buttons, working the slide, etc... all while i'm literally jumping and dodging the POA, trying not to become the POI. i pretty much have no desire to see anyone's gun anymore.. i've seen enough, don't pull yours out to show me.

ZDL
12-11-08, 19:16
brutal.

Blinking Dog
12-11-08, 21:01

Ummm...would that be the unplugged version? LL Cool Littlelebowski?

Sounds like you're in better spirits. I don't know you, but I do enjoy your posts...preferably the ones where you're not getting shot though ok?

Good luck and God bless.

ToddG
12-12-08, 00:34

Dude, you need to use a macro lens for close-ups like that. Would it be too much to ask for you to let them shoot you again so we can get cooler photos? :cool:

Seriously, I'll rip these and add them to my site later this week. Glad to hear you're continuing to improve! See you at the range soon, I'm sure.

Robb Jensen
12-12-08, 05:24
Ummm...would that be the unplugged version? LL Cool Littlelebowski?

Sounds like you're in better spirits. I don't know you, but I do enjoy your posts...preferably the ones where you're not getting shot though ok?

Good luck and God bless.

It's Lil' L. ;)

Littlelebowski
12-12-08, 07:00
3rd pic in between the piece hanging off the main body is where the bit of bone is. Still trying to track the guy who shot me.

Littlelebowski
12-12-08, 07:28

P.S.

I had a incident years ago that required a bone graft. This is what I took to heal it totally in only four weeks:

• Silica and Magnesium is the best method of getting Calcium via Biological Transmutation. See the “Kervan Effect” for more details about the mechanism of this complex reaction.
• Vitamin D
• Magnesium
• Zinc
• Phosphorous
• Bone Meal
• Boron
• Anti-oxidants [including vitamins A, C, E, Garlic, and various seed extracts [pycnogenols] like grape, pine bark and Noni]. Also, Wheatgrass and Barley grass are very high in Superoxide Dimutase, SOD, which is known for its anti-aging properties. Honey, Bee pollen, Propolis and Royal Jelly are also very powerful anti-oxidants and are known for their anti-aging properties.
• A complete free-form Essential Amino Acid complex, though specifically Acetyl-L Arginine, Leucine, Valine, Glutamine and Cysteine are specifically mentioned for general wound healing.
• DHEA, a precursor to testosterone [will turn to estrogen for women], also assists in increasing bone density. It can be found just about everywhere.
• Homeopathic Remedies: Symphytum, Hypericum, Arnica (for pain and swelling), Bryonia (for pain), Ruta graveolens, Comfrey and Eupatorium peroliatum. Go to a privately owned Health Food Store to find a better selection of homeopathic remedies.

Keep us posted, please.

Damned good advice. Wish I'd had it a year ago. Still implementing it. Don't need anything for the pain though, I'm not a latte sipping Infiniti owner :D

Jay Cunningham
12-12-08, 10:14
I'm not a latte sipping Infiniti owner :D

I know one of them!

:p

ToddG
12-12-08, 10:59
Damned good advice. Wish I'd had it a year ago. Still implementing it. Don't need anything for the pain though, I'm not a latte sipping Infiniti owner :D

Bite me. I don't drink coffee. :cool:

30 cal slut
12-12-08, 11:23
ew.

right before lunch.

bleah.

Nathan_Bell
12-12-08, 11:42
Bite me. I don't drink coffee. :cool:

Water sipping Infinit Driver. That better? :cool:

Littlelebowski
12-12-08, 13:30
Low fat chai?

bkb0000
12-12-08, 13:33
so... what exactly did the guy do after he ****in SHOT you? did he say "oops, sorry bro?" did he run? did anyone say anything to him?

edit.. oh yea, i remember you said he split at the hospital.. what what about communication?

ToddG
12-12-08, 14:39
Water sipping Infinit Driver. That better? :cool:

I don't know if it's better but at least it's more accurate. :cool:

ra2bach
12-13-08, 18:45

say what? I thought you knew this guy. has he disappeared?

at first I thought, why can't the police find him? then I realized you didn't press charges.

if you plan to get some kind of civil relief for your injuries, pain and suffering, etc., your attorney will probably have a PI that could locate him. I'd get on it...

Littlelebowski
12-16-08, 08:36

P.S.

• Vitamin D
• Magnesium
• Zinc
• Phosphorous
• Bone Meal
• Boron

Keep us posted, please.

Swimming 500 meters 3 times a week and running 2 mile 3 times a week. The arm is sore as hell. I need to rebuild the muscles and tendons. Got any supplement recommendations for that? Physical therapy is twice a week and it's not too bad yet.

thopkins22
12-16-08, 08:59
Beyond a healthy diet and maybe a big nasty tasting multivitamin, try taking glucosamine. It's supposed to be great for joints, so presumably that includes tendons and ligaments.

ETA...rather ask your therapist about taking glucosamine.

Gargoyle
12-16-08, 10:36
There is this dept...there is this sign over a hole in the wall at waist level...there was this story how a officer was cleaning his gun...officer employed to this day...

bkb0000
12-16-08, 15:01
There is this dept...there is this sign over a hole in the wall at waist level...there was this story how a officer was cleaning his gun...officer employed to this day...

is english your first language?

Mjolnir
12-21-08, 10:19
Swimming 500 meters 3 times a week and running 2 mile 3 times a week. The arm is sore as hell. I need to rebuild the muscles and tendons. Got any supplement recommendations for that? Physical therapy is twice a week and it's not too bad yet.

General WOUND HEALING items are, but not limited to:

• Zinc
• B Complex, though specifically B-3
• Free-Form Essential Amino Acid complex, though Arginine, Glutamine, Leucine, Valine and Cysteine are specifically mentioned in medical literature.
• Anti-oxidants, as listed below, especially the “bee products” honey, Propolis and bee pollen.
• Silica and Magnesium
• Copper
• Chlorella

If the soreness is due to lactic acid build up (naturally occurring) CREATINE would assist but I don't push it as an alternative "remedy", per se; but it DOEs work. The free-form amino acids will assist in building muscle but won't (to my knowledge) really assist in muscle soreness. There are some homeopathic remedies that can help. Arnica Montana comes to mind.

For SOFT TISSUE INJURY, I have found the following particularly effective:

• Silica and Magnesium
• Glucosamine Sulfate
• Chondroitan
• Methyl Sulfonylmethane or MSM
• Free-Form Essential Amino Acid complex (see above)
• Anti-oxidants
• Knox Gelatin [can be found in a grocery store]
• Chlorella

For reducing TISSUE INFLAMMATION I’ve found these to be especially effective:

• Lyprinex, which is a form of Calcium derived from green mussel shells native to New Zealand, is absolutely phenomenal in this regard. [Life Plus International, Ph: (800) 572-8446]

Hope this helps, brother!

Littlelebowski
02-18-09, 03:46
In hospital now, just got operated to restore mobility. Almost all of it came back! They did find an infection and we're zapping it with antibiotics. I have to go home wih a PICC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripherally_inserted_central_catheter) so that I can administer my own antibiotics so fun for me!

Lost over a pint of blood.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/blood.jpg

Buckaroo
02-18-09, 06:53
Damn, with your luck you might need that blood!

Glad to hear you are regaining mobility, did you ever get some legal action started?

Stay safe and do your rehab!

Buckaroo

ToddG
02-18-09, 07:40
It takes a real man to post pictures of himself wearing a dress on the internet.

Glad you're getting better, dude. When will you be able to hit the range again?

sandman99and9
02-18-09, 08:08
It takes a real man to post pictures of himself wearing a dress on the internet.

Glad you're getting better, dude. When will you be able to hit the range again?

At least we didn't get the backside view. Hope you are healing fast brother. If you ever get down to the fla-orlando area look me up so we can go to the range. I know where to keep my weapon pointed. Get well soon !!!

Semper Fi !!

Littlelebowski
02-18-09, 10:44
Starting legal action, just still trying to track the guy down.

Probably won't be able to hit the range for at least a week.

ToddG
02-18-09, 11:04
Just keep me in the loop, brother. If you need anything in the meantime, like someone to pick up your other dresses at the dry cleaner, just give me a shout.

sandman99and9
02-18-09, 11:07
Just keep me in the loop, brother. If you need anything in the meantime, like someone to pick up your other dresses at the dry cleaner, just give me a shout.

MUAAAAHHHH !!!!!

Littlelebowski
02-18-09, 14:18
McDonald's double cheeseburgers, fries, and vanilla shake delivered to Georgetown, thanks :D

achildofthesky
02-18-09, 21:48
Man that is a huge bummer. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Nothing from nothing, but I have flown a lot of GSW victims and seeing you are ambulatory is a good thing. Many shock out pretty quick and all to many fail to make it. Life is a game of inches sometimes and even with your very regrettable injuries, you are still in the game. Again heres wishing you a speedy recovery.

Patty

ToddG
02-19-09, 10:16
McDonald's double cheeseburgers, fries, and vanilla shake delivered to Georgetown, thanks :D

Dude, if you're serious and still there on Saturday, I'm happy to come by with some McDonald's as long as the nurses don't chase me down with hypodermics for bringing foreign food into Georgetownistan.

Littlelebowski
02-19-09, 10:18
I'll let you know. Should be out of here tomorrow. Appreciate it, brother.

ToddG
02-19-09, 10:37
I'll PM you my cell # ... if you want a visitor on Saturday, dude, I can squeeze you into my morning cartoon schedule. :cool:

Littlelebowski
02-19-09, 10:45
Got Looney Tunes and Family Guy on my new Macbook Pro I got fully decked out for $900 :cool:

Mikey
02-19-09, 10:55
Jesus...

I think I'd have had to make a detour on the way to the passenger seat and beat the shit out of him.

I had a buddy who broke his neck last year, so I've been to all the physical therapy with him. Keep at it man, It really helps in the long run!

Good to see that the operation got you more use out of your arm.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

-Mike

Littlelebowski
02-20-09, 10:02
Gained 37 degrees of motion since surgery :cool:

Plus, I have a cute physical therapist that talks trash :D

Getting out of here today. Still leaking a bit but who cares?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_0252.jpg

ToddG
02-20-09, 10:23
I'm beginning to think this whole story is BS and you just popped yourself in the elbow for the attention. Between your wife, the nurses, and now your physical therapist you're loving it ... :D

Littlelebowski
02-20-09, 10:32
Dude, it's totally worth it. Just let me see your M&P and your elbow......

ToddG
02-20-09, 10:36
RIIIIIIIGHT. Think of all the attention you'd get from the hole in your eye socket when you tried that. :cool:

Littlelebowski
02-20-09, 10:43
You try to help a guy out and you get nothing but grief....

Littlelebowski
02-20-09, 10:44
Ppping smoke, need extract! Chaplain's visiting the rooms! Help!

ToddG
02-20-09, 10:48
Ppping smoke, need extract! Chaplain's visiting the rooms! Help!

You'll always be remembered here with the solemnity and dignity you so richly deserve. God speed, brother.

Can I have your gear?

Littlelebowski
02-20-09, 10:51
Sure, go help yourself. I knew you wanted to get your greasy mitts all over the 1911 I got shot with. Never mind the nice German Shepherd. He loves unannounced strangers :D

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/photo.jpg

VooDoo6Actual
02-20-09, 11:04
That is some funny stuff right there.

sandman99and9
02-20-09, 11:33
Can I have your gear?

I got dibs on his PMAGS !!!

PMAG WHORE FOREVER :D:D:D

I'mGatMan!
02-23-09, 11:17
Holy isht...what a crazy thread. Glad you're doing alright, though.

what I've learned from this is:

Unless the passengers are licensed and known to me well, all guns go in the trunk on the way to the range or whatever.

sniperfrog
02-23-09, 13:35
Man, that's gonna be a cool scar to show the chics. A buddy of mine got shot by his co-worker with a .45 in the Army while on a train in East Berlin. It was an accident and the hardball round hit his chest at an angle (guy was seated next to him) then riccocheted off and went through his arm. No real damage to the chest but it broke his arm as well. He had to go to an East German hospital where they patched him up as quick as possible and got his ass back to the free side.

Littlelebowski
03-23-09, 15:45
Doing much, much better. Not digging the IV I have use once a day but glad to be home, shooting, doing physical therapy, and watching the arm improve. Probably about 75% of what I used to have as far as mobility.

BiggLee71
03-23-09, 21:50
wow.your very lucky to be alive.htat looks so f*cking painful! hope you get well soon and find some new shooting buddies.

kaiservontexas
03-24-09, 00:13
I hope you bounce back 100%!

Littlelebowski
04-25-09, 22:44
Swimming 1000 meters 5x a week and running/biking some too. Found the guy who shot me, he has just gotten a very unpleasent letter from my lawyer.

ZDL
04-25-09, 22:48
Swimming 1000 meters 5x a week and running/biking some too. Found the guy who shot me, he has just gotten a very unpleasent letter from my lawyer.

Awesome man. All the way around. Keep us posted for sure.

Littlelebowski
04-25-09, 22:51
It's only 10 minute 500 meter averages so I have a bit of work to do. It will be a while before I'm back to sub 20 minute 3 mile runs, 7 minute 500 meter swims, and 20 dead hang pull ups.

Going to physical therapy sessions 2-3 times a week and already met my goals so now we're trying to surpass them.

ToddG
04-25-09, 23:13
Found the guy who shot me, he has just gotten a very unpleasent letter from my lawyer.

He got the better end of the deal. Glad that worked out, Lil'L.

dookie1481
04-25-09, 23:17
Hoorah, get better dude.

Jay

Ryo
04-26-09, 02:19
Awesome.. Happy for both accounts. Meeting goals, and giving the guy hell.

parishioner
04-26-09, 09:14
Good luck on the recovery process and keep on keepin' on with that physical therapy.

SeriousStudent
04-26-09, 09:33
May your recovery progress well, may your therapists all be gorgeous ladies, and may your lawyer be a vicious, well-educated thug.

Best of luck to you, LLB.

SKULL1
04-26-09, 10:08
hope you will regain all your function dude. :(

i'm a physical therapist by trade and i deal all this stuff all the time.

what i noticed is that majority of men are cry babies and have low pain tolerance.:D

R.Miksits
04-26-09, 20:08
Gained 37 degrees of motion since surgery :cool:

Plus, I have a cute physical therapist that talks trash :D

Getting out of here today. Still leaking a bit but who cares?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_0252.jpg

Is the female in the lower left of the picture your daughter? if so she is hott.

Rob.

Ps. Glad to hear your doing better. extremely happy to hear you found the guy.