PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense

bushy
09-24-08, 22:22
Just wanted to put this out there. I just got a Daniel Defense Omega rail system in Flat dark earth installed on my Bushmaster and it is awesome. Very light and feels great. Also got a DD flat top receiver installed. This is really high quality stuff I am very pleased with the looks and the feel.:D

AMMOTECH
09-25-08, 11:15
Why even start something like this if you don't post some pics....:mad:

Never mind I've seen rails on BM's before; they all look the same.

bushy
09-25-08, 11:37
Why even start something like this if you don't post some pics....:mad:

Never mind I've seen rails on BM's before; they all look the same.

Pics comming it was too big. These are some really nice rails they are making. Very light and comfortable.:)

A_shizzle
09-25-08, 12:01
+1 for DD omega! I just got mine a few days ago for a build im doin and they are incredible. Rock solid, light and very well made.

bushy
09-25-08, 12:16
1359Trying like hell to figure out attachment process:confused:

CarlosDJackal
09-25-08, 12:17
Another +1 for the Daniel Defense Omega rails. They were so easy to install and very solid. I was a little worried about the price. But taking into account that I did not have to do any kind of machining or "dremelling" in order to get a free-floating system, I'm very happy with it!!

bushy
09-25-08, 12:25
Yep a little pricy but I think well worth it in the long run for solid parts and they fit perfectly.

bushy
09-25-08, 12:33
Another pic1360

bushy
09-25-08, 12:38
1 more1361

lanceriley
09-28-08, 10:33
how does the Omega rail attach?

looks like the delta ring is still there? does it attach through the delta ring? then the cup behind the front sight?

I thought the Omega rail is a free float? how does it free float when it is held up the same way a plastic handguard is held? or am I wrong?

Lawdog-1
09-28-08, 11:43
bushy, did add Oil/CLP to make your DD Omaga shine like it looks in your photo?

bushy
09-28-08, 13:11
yep i had it installed and the gunsmith oiled it down with clp i just haven't wiped it odwn yet.

bushy
09-28-08, 13:13

looks like the delta ring is still there? does it attach through the delta ring? then the cup behind the front sight?

I thought the Omega rail is a free float? how does it free float when it is held up the same way a plastic handguard is held? or am I wrong?

the delta ring is still on the rifle. It has set screws that attach it to the barrel.

Jeffy
09-28-08, 13:22

The Omega is Free Floating rail system that clamps onto the barrel nut. By pulling back the Delta you can slip the Omega over the barrel nut without removing it. Then release the nut and it will cover the barrel nut as well as the Omega. There are 4 set screws that tighten against the delta once it's in place.

On the other end, the Omega stops just short of the handguard cap and does not touch it. It's retained since the Omega is designed to be a drop-in rail.

lanceriley
09-28-08, 19:26
so by holding the barrel nut it becomes free float? can the barrel nut hold it? I mean sometimes we apply pressure on the vertical grip.

any experience in real life? doesn't it wobble near the front end? how effective is this installation? Im afraid it will just end up with a rail that's not truly free float.

Adam
09-28-08, 19:40
so by holding the barrel nut it becomes free float? can the barrel nut hold it? I mean sometimes we apply pressure on the vertical grip.

any experience in real life? doesn't it wobble near the front end? how effective is this installation? Im afraid it will just end up with a rail that's not truly free float.

Most free float systems in some way or another attach at the barrel nut or are the barrel nut( kac urx). I have been running a 9.0" on my 10.5 for 3 months and have yet to experience any problems.

lanceriley
09-28-08, 20:16
I thought free float handguards always come with a steel "modified" barrel nut to make it free float.

other manufacturers of rails use the original barrel nut?

Adam
09-28-08, 20:33
I thought free float handguards always come with a steel "modified" barrel nut to make it free float.

The barrel nut isn't what dictates a barrel being free floated. As long the barrel isn't touched past the receiver it's free floated. The troy, and the older A.R.M.S. rails are two examples of free floated rails that utilize the factory barrel nut.

Robb Jensen
09-28-08, 21:36
Free float has nothing to doing with what the barrel nut is made of. Free float with an AR means that the only area where there is direct contact with the free float tube or rail with the barrel is at the receiver end of the free float tube or rail. Any other contact would mean that it really isn't free floated. (all have contact with the gas tube) so the gas tub contact doesn't count.

lanceriley
09-28-08, 23:39
yes I know what a free float rail means. I just didn't expect it to just hold from the barrel nut. I didn't expect the barrel nut to be that strong to stand up to abuse and all.

Adam
09-29-08, 02:15
yes I know what a free float rail means. I just didn't expect it to just hold from the barrel nut. I didn't expect the barrel nut to be that strong to stand up to abuse and all.

I think the threaded portion of the aluminum receiver would fail before steel barrel nut. I haven't ever heard of a rail ripping the threads of a receiver so I think it will be fine.

lanceriley
09-29-08, 04:57
so basically ... if it's well attached to the barrel nut. everything should be ok right?

is the omega rail being used in Iraq? or any Leo?

Lawdog-1
09-29-08, 13:42
Does the top or bottom rail have any T-Numbers?

thopkins22
09-29-08, 14:48

Mine has them all the way around. Click on their site above and you can find numerous photos from different angles.

Bushy's pictures don't seem to show the numbers very well, but they're there.

bushy
09-29-08, 20:49

Yes it has the numbers on every slot top, bottom, left and right with a corresponding number .....ie, t-31,r-31,l-31,b-31. Very solid system. Everything I have attached to it has fit very well and tightly and has not caused any wobbles whatsoever.:cool:

bushy
09-29-08, 20:52
Mine has them all the way around. Click on their site above and you can find numerous photos from different angles.

Bushy's pictures don't seem to show the numbers very well, but they're there.

Mine don't show the numbers because A: I am a bad photographer and B: the rail is lathered down in CLP and too shiny. ;)

Stickman
09-29-08, 22:42
so basically ... if it's well attached to the barrel nut. everything should be ok right?

Yes, if its installed correctly there are no issues.

Yes, there are several LEO on my department who use them daily on their duty weapons.

lanceriley
09-29-08, 23:37
If it's being used by a LEO as a daily weapon then im convinced :D

Stickman
09-30-08, 20:16
If it's being used by a LEO as a daily weapon then im convinced :D

Plural, and I'll probably go the same route if I pick up the Noveske N4 basic as my next duty carbine.

lanceriley
09-30-08, 23:14
stickman,

are you LEO?

DocMinster
10-01-08, 17:32

Here is my M4 9.5 FSP with the above said modified barrel nut.. as it has also been pointed out the gas tube is still in contact so there it is not a true "Free Float" ...But this rail did take off the FSB point of contact and either I started shooting better over the course of a week because my groups tightened up about 1/4 MOA...

I have to agree with the original poster ...I REALLY like my DD Rail too. :)

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/M4ergy/IMG_0102.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/M4ergy/IMG_010511-30-07.jpg

lanceriley
10-01-08, 18:55
w/ regards to the omega rail, since it is holding on to the original barrel nut. won't it move the barrel nut? twist it? at the same time moving the omega rail from it's 0-90-180-270 axis? maybe moving it 5-95-185-275

RD62
10-01-08, 20:23
It shouldn't if the barrel nut is properly torqued. I've never had a barrel nut spin free, and it can often take a good bit of leverage with the proper wrench to loosen it. It is also further held in place to some degree by the gas tube passing through the teeth and into the upper receiver.

I understand you reservations, but there is truly nothing to worry about here. DD didn't dream this thing up overnight and just throw it into the market.

I have two Omegas a 7.0 and a 9.0. Both are GTG!

-RD62

Stickman
10-01-08, 20:39
stickman,

are you LEO?

Yes, full time city cop.

lanceriley
10-01-08, 23:19
stickman,

I got your pm. I would have replied but somehow your mailbox was full. There are some similarities in how our police work. Im no LEO but our gun club is LEO friendly in fact LEO compete regularly with us. they don't pay membership fee but most of them are IPSC range officers. sometimes we fund some of thier projects ;) so do you use your babies in your LEO work? or is it against the policy?

RD62,

Yes i've seen how the barrel nut is installed. pretty tight and the gas tube passes in between the teeth. but I don't think the teeth is holding the nut. yes i haven't seen it move but I'll try to get one. it's hard to get good gear over here :mad:

spamsammich
10-02-08, 02:00
The teeth are built onto the barrel nut. You're supposed to tighten the barrel nut to 30 ft-lbs of torque, then move it to the next groove to get he gas tube aligned. This will put the nut somewhere between 30 and 80 ft-lbs of torque. If you can generate enough torque on the Omega through normal use to both move the barrel nut and shear the gas tube, I'd be amazed.

KyAKGuy
10-02-08, 03:12
I just received one this week. Awesome piece of equipment.
Seems rock solid too. Are the 4 allen head screws supposed to match with the
teeth on the barrel nut? Mine seems to press on the front of the barrel nut and
lock it up that way. I just removed it to lube the barrel under the handguard
and noticed 4 marks on the face of the barrel nut that would correspond to the
allen head screws that are on the rail.

Is this right??

KyAKGuy

lanceriley
10-02-08, 04:03
interesting q. id like to hear the answer too

Adam
10-02-08, 04:45
I just received one this week. Awesome piece of equipment.
Seems rock solid too. Are the 4 allen head screws supposed to match with the
teeth on the barrel nut? Mine seems to press on the front of the barrel nut and
lock it up that way. I just removed it to lube the barrel under the handguard
and noticed 4 marks on the face of the barrel nut that would correspond to the
allen head screws that are on the rail.

Is this right??

KyAKGuy

Yes, it presses on the front of the barrel nut.

Stickman
10-02-08, 08:10
it's hard to get good gear over here :mad:

What state or country are you in?

Yes, I carry my AR for a duty weapon. Here it is in all its beauty.....

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_7611%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

lanceriley
10-02-08, 10:54
I downloaded your rifle pix. I was thinking of a similar setup. minus the eotech. I have astigmatism. the eotech doesn't work for me. you have a lite rail attached? buis? which one is it? the magpul ctr stock... like that too. I already got the pmags :cool:

for the buis I was thinking of LMT fix sight (non folding) anything bad with this? maybe an aimpoint. but I've always been an iron sight shooter. makes a very well SHTF rifle. or should I just get a detacheable carry handle?

I live in the Philippines. gunownership is a previlege not a right

What state or country are you in?

Yes, I carry my AR for a duty weapon. Here it is in all its beauty.....

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_7611%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

KyAKGuy
10-02-08, 12:03
Ok Stickman, i have to ask.

Do you do all your own photography on your guns??
You always have the best pics on the boards
What camera are you using? Lenses?

Nice set up on the patrol rifle.
Mine is going to end up very similar to that too,
but with a Holosight instead of an Eotech.

KyAKGuy

lanceriley
10-02-08, 19:12
isn't eotech a holosight?

I have to agree. stickman has the nicest photos. any tips?

bushy
10-04-08, 22:19
Thanks to all the posters on this thread. This was my first use of an aftermarket foregrip/rail on my rifle. I had always in the past just installed a bottom rail or side rail on the stock handguard and we all know how that usually turns out....WOBBLY! I really am happy with this rail it is solid and I have noticed a little increase in accuracy to boot (not really sure how that happened I would imagine the more solid platform) but I had it installed instead of doing it myself so pardon me for not answering questions quicker as every time someone asked I went to look at the rifle and by the time I got around to answering 1 of the gun gurus on here had caught it for me hats off to yall and a big +1 for DD.

bushy
10-04-08, 22:22
isn't eotech a holosight?

I have to agree. stickman has the nicest photos. any tips?

I sure thought Eotech was a holosight.

Also Stickpics RULE!!!:D

Stickman
10-05-08, 13:05
I downloaded your rifle pix. I was thinking of a similar setup. minus the eotech. I have astigmatism. the eotech doesn't work for me. you have a lite rail attached? buis? which one is it? the magpul ctr stock... like that too. I already got the pmags :cool:

for the buis I was thinking of LMT fix sight (non folding) anything bad with this? maybe an aimpoint. but I've always been an iron sight shooter. makes a very well SHTF rifle. or should I just get a detacheable carry handle?

I live in the Philippines. gunownership is a previlege not a right

I use the Daniel Defense Lite rail, ARMS 40L BUIS, and Magpul CTR on my duty carbine.

The LMT fixed rear sight is a solid unit, and if you have an extra carry handle, you can always chop it down. The LMT gives you the option of adding an optic down the road if you want. Aimpoints do tend to work much better for people who have eye issues.

Stickman
10-05-08, 13:12
Ok Stickman, i have to ask.

Do you do all your own photography on your guns??
You always have the best pics on the boards
What camera are you using? Lenses?

Nice set up on the patrol rifle.
Mine is going to end up very similar to that too,
but with a Holosight instead of an Eotech.

KyAKGuy

Yes, any pictures that I am posting are one that I've shot. There might be one or 2 exceptions, but I will always point that out. I have ZERO desire to take credit for someone elses work. In the rare cases where I upload a picture for a friend, I feel I owe it to them to point that out.

I certainly don't think mine are the best pictures (but thankyou), but they are copied enough by companies where I figure I must not suck too bad.

I'll shoot pictures with just about anything, but most of the time I shoot with Canon. I try to buy good glass so the pictures can be used by the manufacturers and other companies I help out. Camera glass is like rifle optics, you are going to pay for the good stuff. There are a few deals out there, but you are usually getting a trade off with cheaper lenses.

lanceriley
10-06-08, 00:36
thanks for the tip stickman.

Iv always liked to shoot iron sights hence going to LMT but again... we never know what i'll like in the future... so might as well be prepared for some rail space for future optics.

bushy
10-06-08, 07:43
I use the Daniel Defense Lite rail, ARMS 40L BUIS, and Magpul CTR on my duty carbine.

The LMT fixed rear sight is a solid unit, and if you have an extra carry handle, you can always chop it down. The LMT gives you the option of adding an optic down the road if you want. Aimpoints do tend to work much better for people who have eye issues.

Lancer I also have the ARMS BUIS on my rifle and I like it. Mine folds down and with the flip of a sping loaded pin it pops up right on zero with the stock front sight. Not much zeroing needed it was pretty close right out of the box. The only thing I am not crazy about with this partiular BUIS is you have to set it where when it pops up the larger ghost ring is up and in low light I can hardly see the ring. By flipping it to the smaller ring I can see it alot better. Doesn't really matter much when you need it you will be in the shit anyway and if my M2 goes out for some unimaginable reason in CQB I can just keep the target right in the middle of the glass and keep popping.

lanceriley
10-06-08, 13:01
just last sunday I was in a rifle/pistol match. it was more of a fun shoot. everybody was there dressing up. made me realize my setup (xm177e2 replica but no flash suppressor just a smith comp) was lighter compared to the railed and rifles with optics. made me appreciate the lightness of moving from target to target.

even with the DD light rail and m4 barrel, will the heavier weight make a difference?

Stickman
10-07-08, 06:41
It won't be much heavier.

cebuboy
10-07-08, 08:41
just last sunday I was in a rifle/pistol match. it was more of a fun shoot. everybody was there dressing up. made me realize my setup (xm177e2 replica but no flash suppressor just a smith comp) was lighter compared to the railed and rifles with optics. made me appreciate the lightness of moving from target to target.

even with the DD light rail and m4 barrel, will the heavier weight make a difference?

I was also in the same match lance, iirc you are one of the cpra guys.

If you are wondering about the DD Omega, its a great drop-in rail, locks up tight, fit and finish is great and did I forget to mention that it is light.

Pictures of the DD Omega on me buddies gun...

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/cebuboy/gar/DSC_8265.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/cebuboy/gar/DSC_8267.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/cebuboy/gar/DSC_8403.jpg

lanceriley
10-07-08, 11:30
Whoa! How'd you know that was me? yes I am one of the cpra guys.

There were lots of people... I didn't really notice who you were sorry... Got a name?

That's the exact setup that I was thinking of! except that I wanted the CTR stock and everything in black.

Is that an "F" marked front sight base?

were you shooting standard? or Open? there's a pix with the optics and without. How far did you rank?

CarlosDJackal
10-07-08, 16:18

FWIW, up until my status was changed to "non-deployable", I was already planning on taking mine with me (along with my Aimpoint T-1, CTR, MIAD, etc.) :D

CarlosDJackal
10-07-08, 16:22

There were lots of people... I didn't really notice who you were sorry... Got a name?

That's the exact setup that I was thinking of! except that I wanted the CTR stock and everything in black.

were you shooting standard? or Open? there's a pix with the optics and without. How far did you rank?

How manga Kababayan!! Kamusta na ba kayo diyan? Keliwete pala kayo, ha?

I visited home for the first time in 20-years last December. I think I'm going to buy a speed boat and retire in Boracay. :D

cebuboy
10-08-08, 05:15

hehehe the XM177E2 replica with the Smith brake gave me a hint :)

Its a standard FSB on a DPMS bbl, it zeroed perfectly with the LMT buis.

I shot standard, it bugs me that I became too dependent on red dots, landed fifth overall.

You can easily spot us guys with green guns :)

lanceriley
10-08-08, 06:03
hahahaha. I know im probably the only one with xm177e2 setup. I had to go that route. it's the only one that looks original having an 11.5 barrel. compared to some who use the m4 handguard with 11.5 barrel and a1 upper. they look weird.

yes... I remember the green guys. I thought cebuboy was doc T.

when you say rank 5th..I would know... our names are in the local papers hehehehehe didnt expect to rank 3rd considering I didn't really try that hard it was more of a fun shoot and yes the shoot was fun.

I remember you having an m16a2... a green one. where is it now?

Im probably the easiest guy to spot. I didn't realize it but I was the only shooter wearing shorts =)

cebuboy
10-08-08, 06:58
I remember you having an m16a2... a green one. where is it now?

hehehe it's under my bed gathering dust, saving up for a decent optic.

Stickman
10-08-08, 08:13
FWIW, up until my status was changed to "non-deployable", I was already planning on taking mine with me (along with my Aimpoint T-1, CTR, MIAD, etc.) :D

Hope things are well over there, drop me a line if you are bored or get some free time.

lanceriley
10-18-08, 09:25
How manga Kababayan!! Kamusta na ba kayo diyan? Keliwete pala kayo, ha?

I visited home for the first time in 20-years last December. I think I'm going to buy a speed boat and retire in Boracay. :D

good for you! you should come and shoot with us!