PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my new .308 bolt rifle

maximus83
09-25-08, 03:03
Finally got a chance to take some pics of my new Savage 10FLP in .308, that was customized by Stockade Gun Stocks (http://www.stockadegunstocks.com). It's already a nice shooter; the shop sent along a 10-shot group that's 0.4" @ 100, with their handloads. I've had it out to the range twice and with Prvi Partisan 168gr BTHP match ammo and an inexpensive Burris Fullfield II 3-9x scope, I've also gotten some nice groups out of it. Can't wait to mount some quality glass, and use handloads, to see what this thing can really do. As for the recoil with the brake on, it's a pussy cat: feels about halfway between shooting an AR in .223, and say a .243 hunting rifle. I definitely feel the brake was a worthwhile add-on.

Some other things I had added to it: a Woodchuck varmint/tactical style stock, which has a dual pillar alum. bedding block, and an extra recoil lug at the rear; a front accessory-mounting rail cut into bottom of stock, with adj. swivel stud; and an oversized Savage bolt handle.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/husker_t/sav-1.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/husker_t/sav-2.jpg

A flush-mounted swivel stud:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/husker_t/sav-9.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/husker_t/sav-4.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/husker_t/sav-5.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/husker_t/sav-6.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/husker_t/sav-7.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/husker_t/sav-8.jpg

Accessory rail in bottom of stock:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/husker_t/sav-10.jpg

ZDL
09-25-08, 04:13
Bolt lever is on the wrong side....... :p

maximus83
09-25-08, 10:28
Heh. Somebody else said that on another forum I post on. :p But it works so GREAT for me though......

Anyway, I have really become impressed with Savage and their products, especially over the last 5 or 6 years. And one reason why is, they seem committed to making a lot of their products available to left handers. Plus it seems like they're one of a few American firearms companies that are still committed to trying to constantly improve both quality AND value in their offerings.

A_shizzle
09-25-08, 12:04
Very nice rifle! Ive got a Rem 700 in 308 and need to get a new stock for it then it should be g2g.

maximus83
09-25-08, 12:28
Thanks!

Yeah there seem to be lots of great options in stocks for the major rifle brands anymore. The hard part is almost in narrowing down your choices. I love McMillans, but just can't bring myself right now to buy a stock that will cost more than the base rifle, and that I'll have to wait 4 to 6 months to get. Maybe someday I'll get a McMillan as an upgrade to an existing rifle, maybe even this one. I know that the stock I have is not "top of the line", but it is still pretty sweet, and far better than a factory stock, even better IMHO than the middle-of-the-road quality stocks that I have looked at, for instance Bell and Carlson. I would put the Stockade gun stocks, in quality, somewhere between the B&C stocks and the higher-end stuff like McMillan. I actually liked the feel and contours of the Stockade stock BETTER than the HS Precision stocks I have seen, although HS are far more expensive and should be better. The ONLY thing I want to change about my stock is that due to the layers of epoxy coating that they use to seal it, it has a bit of a shiny sheen on it, which I will be taking care of soon.

ZDL
09-25-08, 13:57
Heh. Somebody else said that on another forum I post on. :p But it works so GREAT for me though......

Anyway, I have really become impressed with Savage and their products, especially over the last 5 or 6 years. And one reason why is, they seem committed to making a lot of their products available to left handers. Plus it seems like they're one of a few American firearms companies that are still committed to trying to constantly improve both quality AND value in their offerings.

Just giving you hard time. I'm left handed as well. The only thing I do right handed is shoot rifle. Pistol, golf, baseball, eat, etc is all left handed. I get that comment about standing on the wrong side of the ball when I play golf all the time.

maximus83
09-25-08, 15:50
Just giving you hard time. I'm left handed as well. The only thing I do right handed is shoot rifle. Pistol, golf, baseball, eat, etc is all left handed. I get that comment about standing on the wrong side of the ball when I play golf all the time.

Yep, us southpaws have gotta' stick together! :D

I'm curious, this is a bit off-topic, but since we're talking about a LH rifle: Did you see that thread awhile back here on M4C, where they were talking about cases where a LH shooter would actually be better off with a RH bolt rifle? What's your take on that?

Here's the thread for that discussion:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16391

That was pretty interesting, because while I've used RH bolt rifles frequently throughout my shooting life, I had never realized that there were professional snipers and shooters (as there are in that thread) who actually PREFER shooting a RH bolt action as a LH shooter. And they were saying that it would also be preferable for RH shooters to use LH actions. In fact some people I guess are doing this, getting opposite-action rifles for tactical use.

As I recall, the advantages of shooting with an opposite-handed bolt action are that you could actually work the bolt faster and chamber a new cartridge without having to take your shooting finger off the trigger. Obviously, this entire scenario of using a rifle with the opposite action of your shooting hand, only works when you are shooting supported: a bipod, a benchrest, whatever.

It wouldn't work too well when you have to support the rifle with your other hand, as when shooting off-hand. And it also might be tricky when shooting sitting, or any situation where you're up and moving around and shooting. But, if you have a rifle that you know you're going to use strictly for supported types of shooting, say benchrest or any competitions where there is not off-hand shooting involved, I could potentially see this approach working. Maybe I'll even try an inexpensive rifle again sometime in .308, get a Remmy 700 SPS or something, and see if it enables me to work the bolt and shoot a lot faster than I can with the LH Savage.

For now, I'm really glad I was able to get this Savage rifle in a LH version. I shoot better and work the bolt faster in almost all cases when I can do it left-handed. Obviously I won't have as big of a market for re-selling this rifle, but then, I have no plans to sell it anyway! ;)

ZDL
09-25-08, 18:14
Yep, us southpaws have gotta' stick together! :D

I'm curious, this is a bit off-topic, but since we're talking about a LH rifle: Did you see that thread awhile back here on M4C, where they were talking about cases where a LH shooter would actually be better off with a RH bolt rifle? What's your take on that?

Here's the thread for that discussion:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16391

That was pretty interesting, because while I've used RH bolt rifles frequently throughout my shooting life, I had never realized that there were professional snipers and shooters (as there are in that thread) who actually PREFER shooting a RH bolt action as a LH shooter. And they were saying that it would also be preferable for RH shooters to use LH actions. In fact some people I guess are doing this, getting opposite-action rifles for tactical use.

As I recall, the advantages of shooting with an opposite-handed bolt action are that you could actually work the bolt faster and chamber a new cartridge without having to take your shooting finger off the trigger. Obviously, this entire scenario of using a rifle with the opposite action of your shooting hand, only works when you are shooting supported: a bipod, a benchrest, whatever.

It wouldn't work too well when you have to support the rifle with your other hand, as when shooting off-hand. And it also might be tricky when shooting sitting, or any situation where you're up and moving around and shooting. But, if you have a rifle that you know you're going to use strictly for supported types of shooting, say benchrest or any competitions where there is not off-hand shooting involved, I could potentially see this approach working. Maybe I'll even try an inexpensive rifle again sometime in .308, get a Remmy 700 SPS or something, and see if it enables me to work the bolt and shoot a lot faster than I can with the LH Savage.

For now, I'm really glad I was able to get this Savage rifle in a LH version. I shoot better and work the bolt faster in almost all cases when I can do it left-handed. Obviously I won't have as big of a market for re-selling this rifle, but then, I have no plans to sell it anyway! ;)

I can't really speak to that because I have never shot a left handed bolt action rifle. I will say that as a rule if coordination was not an issue left hander's would benefit greatly from playing golf and swinging a bat right handed as the muscles that pull are the right side for left handed golfers and batters.

As a +1 left handed golfer I have shot in the 80's right handed on the same course. It's an interesting experiment that I do every now and then and it has convinced me that with training I could shoot (golf) just as well either side.

I shoot rifle right handed due to my right eye being dominant. My offhand shooting is limited to the AR platform. I do not think I have pulled a trigger with my left finger on a bolt action ever. I'll be sure to try it out next time.

(I have a 700P (heavy) with entirely too much glass on top (all the more heavy) so I'm restricted to the prone, bipod, and bench shooting only.)

If the pro's here said it's so... It would be folly to not at least try it out. These guys know what they are talking about.

Seagrave7
10-01-08, 09:05
Very nice.

friedcheese
10-07-08, 23:34
Nice man! Congrats on the new rifle.

IroquoisSnakePlissken
10-09-08, 18:57
That Betty of a Blaster sure is a 'beaut.

Congrats on the new lead-slinger. The Savages have a pretty nice factory trigger.

My brother just got the Model 11. Seems pretty sweet an' simple.

maximus83
10-10-08, 22:27
You're right about the trigger. I thought about spending extra for an aftermarket trigger, but my custom shop guy urged me to just try the Accu-Trigger. So far I've liked it really well, though eventually I will likely invest in a nicer trigger.

dwwalters
06-30-09, 06:23
i like the gun. i have a savage 110 in .223, i have had it a few years now. it was a cheap gun great price and i love it. i have a night vision scope i put on it and play with every now and then. i have wanted to mod it though, like a new tactical stock and good glass but its a .223. i would rather really mod up a .308 instead. but any way i love the gun. i want to put a break on mine like that just for the look, it looks so menacing and scary.

rat31465
06-30-09, 11:34
As a right handed person I actually like shooting Left Handed Bolt rifles.
When shooting Bencrest its easier to acces the action, also when lying prone a left bolt gun allows one to keep your shooting hand on the trigger when reloading single shots.
I am curious as to what weight this rifle has come in at with your additions?
My guess is around 13 Lbs?

Nice looking Rifle....

maximus83
07-01-09, 10:30
Rat, that's a good question. I was curious myself and weighed the rifle recently with all the items that added weight to the rifle (the oversized bolt handle, the mounting rail on bottom of fore-end, scope, and Harris bipod), total weight was 11.2 pounds. Drop the Harris bipod, and the weight of the scoped rifle weight drops to 10.3 pounds. The stock is actually lighter than I had expected, so that helps quite a bit.

Probably not a good hunting setup, if I need to do much walking. If I ever want to use a .308 for mobile hunting, I'll probably get one of those 6.5 pound Tikka or Browning Xbolt rifles. Still, at just around 10 pounds scoped (minus bipod), this rifle is a pretty reasonable carry weight compared to average sniper rifles.

rat31465
07-01-09, 13:20
Rat, that's a good question. I was curious myself and weighed the rifle recently with all the items that added weight to the rifle (the oversized bolt handle, the mounting rail on bottom of fore-end, scope, and Harris bipod), total weight was 11.2 pounds. Drop the Harris bipod, and the weight of the scoped rifle weight drops to 10.3 pounds. The stock is actually lighter than I had expected, so that helps quite a bit.

Probably not a good hunting setup, if I need to do much walking. If I ever want to use a .308 for mobile hunting, I'll probably get one of those 6.5 pound Tikka or Browning Xbolt rifles. Still, at just around 10 pounds scoped (minus bipod), this rifle is a pretty reasonable carry weight compared to average sniper rifles.

That is a surprise to me...I was expecting it to be 2-3 pounds heavier. I used to carry around my 700 VS with a 6.5X20 Leupold and Harris Bi-pod. It tipped the scales at 13+....That wouldn't be a bad weight for a Coyote rifle.