PDA

View Full Version : 1st Pin/Weld.......

gaijin
04-02-17, 15:22
This was assembled as a dedicated competition/range gun.

Pretty standard build I think.

BCM Lower:
Geissele "Super 42" with H3 Buffer
Velocity 3# Trigger
MFT/K2
Bad-Ass Short Throw Selector

MI Upper
BA Hanson Nitride 14.5" and their gas block
Melonite gas tube
Toolcraft Nitride BCG
BCM KMR-A 13"
Precision Armament M4-72 Comp
Steiner P4xi
ADM Mount

Having never done a pin/weld I researched it a bit.
I was set on the m4-72 comp, in spite of the fact it is horrifically noisy, it is extremely efficient.
This was to be a "game gun".

I sucked it up and took the barrel (with gas tube and barrel nut on first-duh) to the shop (I'm a General Bldg. Contractor) and drilled the hole through the comp and into the barrel.
The comp was timed first, using a precision washer- not crush washer.
I used an 1/8th inch bit and cut the ass end off of it after drilling- to use as the pin.
I ground/filed the pin down to just below flush.

There are a number of Aircraft "Job Shops" in our town (Spirit/Boeing, Beech, Cessna, etc).
Not being a welder, I took the barrel to a welding job shop that's just a few blocks from my building. They specialize in MIG/TIG.
Took them about 10 minutes and cost 20 bucks- well worth it.

Finally got everything assembled and headed to the range.
We only have a 100 yd. facility, so I was limited to that distance.

The carbine is accurate, shoots flat as hell and is "lively" target to target (think light, 26" barrel SXS quail gun).
I initially shot it with the supplied H buffer, but went with the H3 as it functioned 100% and was extremely soft shooting.
It functioned flawlessly with Wolf Gold, PMC 55 gr. X-Tac, IMI m193, 55 and 64 gr Gold Dot.
The 55 gr. GD was accuracy winner at 5 rds into 1.1". The PMC came in at 1.3" and will be the range load.
I have 300 rds+ through the gun at this point.
All in all- about what I'd hoped for.
Looking forward to a ranch trip to shoot at distance; 3,4,500 yds.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/AR%2015/FullSizeRender%2010_zps7wv3efse.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/AR%2015/5c82f3c6-2381-404e-8a0c-8d02b22702e1_zpsxua6tn9j.jpg

556BlackRifle
04-02-17, 21:46
Nicely done! And the Steiner is awesome too.