PDA

View Full Version : Netflix: Five Came Back

MistWolf
04-02-17, 20:27
https://media.netflix.com/en/only-on-netflix/127604

Just started watching this today. It's the story of five iconic American directors- Ford, Capra, Stevens, Wiley and Huston- and the work they did for the US war effort in WWII. Currently watching the first episode and I'm captivated.

Then again, I AM easily entertained...

HardToHandle
04-02-17, 22:37
I read the book. Without ruining the outcomes, it was a hell of war, even for the fortunate.

Firefly
04-02-17, 23:06
There's a book? I'll track it down.

I actually canceled Netflix today. No X-Files, no me. They have the same go nowhere Spanish telenovelas, homosexual themed indie movies, and Netflix originals that are lame.

I tried to do all 90 eps of La Nina. It started off sooooo strong. But goddamn I feel like there is a powerful 2 hour movie worth of story here but it has so much filler.

SteyrAUG
04-03-17, 00:04
I wish Netflix and Amazon would realize not everyone watches programing on their computer. Maybe one day when I shell out the money for a SmarTV, which will be the day they are no longer assembled in Mehico, maybe then I'll actually see some of this programming.

lowprone
04-03-17, 00:10
I just had Netflix screw me out of 6 months of a subscription by saying they don't have record of it,
and I still have the receipts from Amazon.
I'm done with them forever.
Thieves !

docsherm
04-03-17, 10:36
I wish Netflix and Amazon would realize not everyone watches programing on their computer. Maybe one day when I shell out the money for a SmarTV, which will be the day they are no longer assembled in Mehico, maybe then I'll actually see some of this programming.

No need to do that. Just get a blue ray player that has app capability. That is what I did and it works off my WiFi at my house.

Honu
04-03-17, 11:28
no need for smart tv just get a roku or other device like that and add it to any tv ;)

Outlander Systems
04-03-17, 11:58
Buy this:

http://www.target.com/p/roku-express-streaming-player/-/A-52105147?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Electronics+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Electronics_Top%20Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9010792&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5YfHBRDzjNnioYq3_swBEiQArj4pdJnjMhClklRkF8YSZEyDgw1V8nuDMTXdd7pe91gI8y8aAkfa8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Moose-Knuckle
04-04-17, 03:36
I watch TV via the internet on my TV not my computers or tablet.

Amazon Fire TV Stick + Sling TV subscriptions are $20 a month.

SteyrAUG
04-04-17, 22:13
no need for smart tv just get a roku or other device like that and add it to any tv ;)

Got a roku a couple years ago. Streaming SUCKS. Trying to jog through commercials is like trying to watch a youtube video that is loading on a 56k. If I don't have a program recorded on my DVR, I'm not going to even bother.

So what I really need is something similar that is also a DVR.

RobertTheTexan
04-05-17, 11:10

I rarely watch TV. Maybe you should get a slingbox and take advantage of my Netflix, AppleTV and cable. Well assuming you can use an AppleTV with Slingbox.

That or get a Roku. Google Chromecast is an option. I had a consultant friend who would plug his Chromecast into his hotel room TV and watch whatever he wanted.

Do you have a TV with an HDMI, or is your TV one of those large CRT type TV's with the 13 channel knobs on the front? :jester:

RobertTheTexan
04-05-17, 11:18
Got a roku a couple years ago. Streaming SUCKS. Trying to jog through commercials is like trying to watch a youtube video that is loading on a 56k. If I don't have a program recorded on my DVR, I'm not going to even bother.

So what I really need is something similar that is also a DVR.

Here's an option: https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm?Click=45866...

You get some free channels. You get the ability to skip commercials (yay) and I think you can connect to other services such as Apple or Roku. I use my Apply over my wifi. I've started running Cat 6 cable to it, but I haven't made the drop down behind my TV, but I rarely if ever get a buffering issue or have a streaming issue. I use Time-Warner Cable (Texas) and it's fast enough.

THis is the article I got that from. I also know I could use my son's XBox as a DVR, you just have to connect a TV tuner to it, so it can see TV channels.

But a COTS DVR would eliminate the monthly rape fees that DirecTV and Dish charges. But with crappy internet (I assume is why you can't stream Roku) it's going to be hard to get anything outside subscription. I don't watch a lot of TV, but when I do, it's mostly from my AppleTV.

duece71
04-05-17, 12:50
I got rid of cable years ago, I am not going to pay for crap crap and more crap that I don't watch. A friend got me
Apple TV and I use that to watch Netflix and you tube over the Internet. You tube is a cheap version of the sugar coated mindless garbage that is mainstream tv but with out so many commercials. Netflix is decent.