PDA

View Full Version : Reset Issue on DDM4 with Tac-Con & SlideFire.......

WillieFlo
04-04-17, 16:42
All,
I want to see if anyone else has had the same issue as me.

I have a DDM4 Carbine that I've had reliably operate with everything I've done to it for years. Has only
about 500 rounds through it. Over the years, I've added an Adams Arms piston kit, a Tac-Con trigger, and
changed almost all the furniture on it without any issues at all.

Recently however, I decided to try my Tac-Con trigger in "fun" mode at the same time I had my SlideFire
stock on in "fun slide" mode. Never tried it before. Every time I did this, my gun would do a very quick 3-round
burst and fail to reset at that point, repeatedly. After the 3, I would have to recharge every time.

Any suggestions?
Do I need to change the Adams Arms to "suppressed" mode?
Do I need to change the standard DD buffer to a different buffer?
Looking for ideas.

Thanks for the help!

Inkslinger
04-04-17, 17:06
Try removing all the gimmicky nonsense and see what happens.

WillieFlo
04-04-17, 17:11
Works fine in Standard semi-auto, but that's not the point. Want to try and do a full mag dump with the Tac-Con and SlideFire.
Does 3-round so fast, I'm wondering what is limiting that.

wildcard600
04-04-17, 17:18
Is the trigger outrunning the bolt ? That is an issue common on the "binary firing" gimmicks.

WillieFlo
04-04-17, 17:30
Is the trigger outrunning the bolt ? That is an issue common on the "binary firing" gimmicks.

That may be. The Tac-Con and the SlideFire both work fine independently in their "fun" modes, but together they are not "synced" for lack of a better term.
Guess I may need to sell my SlideFire........

WickedWillis
04-04-17, 17:53
Works fine in Standard semi-auto, but that's not the point. Want to try and do a full mag dump with the Tac-Con and SlideFire.
Does 3-round so fast, I'm wondering what is limiting that.

You turned a rock solid AR into a cheap gimmicky range toy. C'mon man. Is wasting ammo by the truckload really that cool?

GH41
04-04-17, 18:03
Where do you guys come from? Let us recap what you said... You had a solid rifle until you tried everything possible to **** it up. You succeeded in ****ing it up and are now looking for sympathy from a crowd who wonders why you ****ed it up in the first place. Do you smoke crack or do you come by your problems naturally?

Inkslinger
04-04-17, 18:05
Where do you guys come from? Let us recap what you said... You had a solid rifle until you tried everything possible to **** it up. You succeeded in ****ing it up and are now looking for sympathy from a crowd who wonders why you ****ed it up in the first place. Do you smoke crack or do you come by your problems naturally?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170404/ded364e5eb898e5e4fd727ec79b5ab77.jpg

BBossman
04-04-17, 18:49
Take all of the crap off that rifle, block your access to YouTube and cut up your credit card.

sidewaysil80
04-04-17, 19:58
For a group of people (us/firearms enthusiasts) who are constantly targeted and lambasted, we sure do a good job of alienating our own.

Omega9
04-04-17, 20:41
For a group of people (us/firearms enthusiasts) who are constantly targeted and lambasted, we sure do a good job of alienating our own.

Maybe some should be alienated. I'm not specifically talking about the OP, but the people who carry rifles into Starbucks for shock value definitely come to mind.

MegademiC
04-04-17, 21:05
Harsh advice isn't necessarily bad advice.
Sell the slidefire. Enjoy a functioning rifle. I have no clue what's going on, my wag would be something out running something else.

Coal Dragger
04-04-17, 21:26
All,
I want to see if anyone else has had the same issue as me.

I have a DDM4 Carbine that I've had reliably operate with everything I've done to it for years. Has only
about 500 rounds through it. Over the years, I've added an Adams Arms piston kit, a Tac-Con trigger, and
changed almost all the furniture on it without any issues at all.

Recently however, I decided to try my Tac-Con trigger in "fun" mode at the same time I had my SlideFire
stock on in "fun slide" mode. Never tried it before. Every time I did this, my gun would do a very quick 3-round
burst and fail to reset at that point, repeatedly. After the 3, I would have to recharge every time.

Any suggestions?
Do I need to change the Adams Arms to "suppressed" mode?
Do I need to change the standard DD buffer to a different buffer?
Looking for ideas.

Thanks for the help!

Suggestions:

1.) Remove the idiotic slide fire stock.

2.) Remove the idiotic Tac-Con trigger.

3.) Remove the idiotic Adams Arms piston nonsense.

4.) Return your carbine to stock configuration as designed and assembled by people that know what they are doing.

5.) Return, if possible, all that stupid shit you bought.

6.) Use the money you hopefully recover by returning the stupid shit to enroll in a basic carbine operator course with a reputable instructor.

7.) Obtain a 16-20oz framing hammer or ball peen hammer.

8.) Next time you have an urge to bubba-mod a
good firearm. Take the hammer acquired in step 7, and hit yourself firmly in the nuts with it until the urge passes.

WillieFlo
04-04-17, 22:36

Who's looking for sympathy? I asked some advice on making something work, but I didn't know I was going to get bitchy responses from a bunch of trigger snobs. F'n forget you guys. I've had the rifle for 6 years and like to try new things with my rifle. My ****'n choice. Just thought there was a group more technically knowledgable on here that was open to assisting, not criticizing my choices.

WillieFlo
04-04-17, 22:46
Maybe some should be alienated. I'm not specifically talking about the OP, but the people who carry rifles into Starbucks for shock value defiantly come to mind.

Unlike some on here who shoot off their mouth and paper, I use mine for hunting hogs and have had the SlideFire in the safe for 3 years without ever mounting. Thought I would
give it a try after so long. I use my AR in the dark for hogs and was interested in speeding up rate of fire to take more down more of them from 25-50 yards quickly, before they scatter. We have so many
down here in TX and they are a problem. However, they are a tasty problem I am obliged to help with.

Wake27
04-05-17, 00:12
Unlike some on here who shoot off their mouth and paper, I use mine for hunting hogs and have had the SlideFire in the safe for 3 years without ever mounting. Thought I would
give it a try after so long. I use my AR in the dark for hogs and was interested in speeding up rate of fire to take more down more of them from 25-50 yards quickly, before they scatter. We have so many
down here in TX and they are a problem. However, they are a tasty problem I am obliged to help with.

If you eat the animal you shot, isn't the idea not to pepper it with rounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bb223
04-05-17, 01:15
Probably outrunning it with the trigger.

Next time it happens maybe pop the takedown in and see if the hammer is cocked or not, I'm betting it won't be. If that's the case, the trigger is outrunning the gun.

Kdubya
04-05-17, 02:18
OP. I don't have experience with the Tac Con or other comparable triggers, but my guess is you're simply outrunning the system. While the Tac-Con is different than the Binary, pull and release FCGs, reports indicate it has the same Achilles heel; get going too fast, and the system can't keep up.

I do have a Slide Fire that I bought a few years back. For the price, I think I got it off a guy for $100, it works quite well and can be a lot of fun. I don't use it often, but will break it out occasionally to satisfy the FA bug. The rate of fire with the SF stock is damn close to the real deal. Honestly, the true noteworthy difference between the two is likely the accuracy potential. While the SF is fairly controllable, the fact remains that it's function relies upon the rifle oscillating back and forth. Again, it's not that hard to keep rounds on target at reasonable distances, but its method of operation is a handicap genuine FA doesn't have to contend with.

Still, for my purposes, it was well worth the money. One, it's fun to run every once and while. Two, because it's so close to true FA rate of fire, it's a big middle finger to the "man". But, most importantly, it does serve a practical purpose. Any SD load I plan to run gets a couple mags of 5-15 rounds with the SF. I don't know how quickly I'd need to get rounds off in a defensive scenario. I do know that I personally can't reproduce the cyclical rate, on my own, that I can with the same rifle and a SF. So, if a loading will cycle with the SF, it should be gtg under normal circumstances.

The point of my whole Slide Fire tangent is twofold. First, it's your money and your rifle. Any time the bump stocks or "go fast" triggers are mentioned, there's a segment who will chastise and belittle. Brush it off. Ignore it. If that's what you choose to invest in for your enjoyment, that's all that matters. If you can ignore that chatter, some will actually try to help; which leads to my second point.

Odds are combining the SF stock and Tac-Con trigger are the problem. With the SF stock producing a nearly FA rate on its own, the addition of your particular trigger pushes the limits of what the platform can tolerate. I believe the Tac-Com trigger has a "traditional" mode (without the assisted reset). So, have you tried running the selector in that position? I'd start there and see what happens. If the issue goes away, I think you have your answer. If not, then maybe the mechanics of that trigger just don't play nice with the bump stocks. Or, it could be how your particular AR is gassed, the buffer weight, the typed of action spring you're running, or a combination of those things. Frankly, it could be a lot of trial and error. My main advice would be start singling out one thing at a time.

Omega9
04-05-17, 07:52

It's your money, your time, and your gun. Like I said in my first post, I wasn't specifically talking about you, I was just pointing out the fact that because people share an interest doesn't mean they should be lumped together.

WillieFlo
04-05-17, 08:48
wildcard600/ bb223/ Kdubya,
Thank you gents for providing the kind of technical assist I was looking for in this post without all the noise. Much appreciated!
Time to sell the SlideFire that's been lurking in the safe.

tehpwnag3
04-05-17, 10:30
OP, sounds like you know what to do now. I was going to suggest choosing one, the stock or the trigger, and go with that. Before even reading any comments/theories, I had a feeling that you have too much of a good thing going on (subjective to the definition of "good", of course). I doubt the results would change with DI or Piston.

The stock and trigger systems are a LOT of fun for those who have never used either. I can't justify the expense (especially with the ammo usage further compounding the costs) nor will I endorse usage on a fighting gun. However, a while back, my neighbor brought over the stock and we installed it on his carbine together, then headed out to my backyard range. As impractical as it is, I must admit that I was really enjoying burning-up his ammo. After we were done, my wife said that our shooting session sounded expensive. Thankfully, not for me.

Another friend of mine has a Tac-Con and it works really well after you get used to it. Again, lots of fun, but not my thing. I will be the last person to tell someone how they should or shouldn't spend their money.

WickedWillis
04-05-17, 10:33

You can do that with a mil-spec trigger. Train more.

C4IGrant
04-05-17, 10:33

This forum is a bit different than say BARFCOM. The members are really trying to save the OP from himself with tough love. Some times a man needs to hear (from other Alpha males) that they are doing stupid chit.

C4

Iraqgunz
04-06-17, 05:31
Take some Ciabatta bread, add some spicy mustard, deli mayo, Swiss Cheese, some select roast beef, and then add some shit. At the end of the day, you have what appeared to be a good sandwich, but in reality it's now just a shit sandwich.

MegademiC
04-06-17, 11:56
Take some Ciabatta bread, add some spicy mustard, deli mayo, Swiss Cheese, some select roast beef, and then add some shit. At the end of the day, you have what appeared to be a good sandwich, but in reality it's now just a shit sandwich.

This is the best analogy I've seen in a long time. Good on the surface, but when you dig down, it's 99% accurate even at the detailed levels. Nice work.

Luckily, with a gun, you can remove the crap and not have skid marks left... or does a slidefire leave skidmarks? If so this may be a 100% accurate analogy.

tehpwnag3
04-06-17, 11:58
It'll leave skidmarks in your wallet unless you can get what you paid for it.

This is the best analogy I've seen in a long time. Good on the surface, but when you dig down, it's 99% accurate even at the detailed levels. Nice work.

Luckily, with a gun, you can remove the crap and not have skid marks left... or does a slidefire leave skidmarks? If so this may be a 100% accurate analogy.

WillieFlo
04-07-17, 15:57
........my mistake for posting this thread in the AR Technical Discussion section of this forum instead of the Ask for Critical Smart*** Opinions section.....

Vegasshooter
04-07-17, 18:00
OP, you've been a member here since '09 and you thought this was the forum to ask about some Mickey Mouse parts that aren't running correctly?? Many of us on this forum are professionals that carry a gun, or guns for a living. This isn't the place for slide fires and Tac com triggers. It's unfortunate that you got your feelers hurt Sir, and I mean absolutely no disrespect, but for a guy who's been a member for 8 years, I'd have expected you to know better. Take this to TOS, and you'll likely find folks that know exactly what's wrong, and how to fix it. Really more the venue for your issue.

WillieFlo
04-07-17, 20:15
OP, you've been a member here since '09 and you thought this was the forum to ask about some Mickey Mouse parts that aren't running correctly?? Many of us on this forum are professionals that carry a gun, or guns for a living. This isn't the place for slide fires and Tac com triggers. It's unfortunate that you got your feelers hurt Sir, and I mean absolutely no disrespect, but for a guy who's been a member for 8 years, I'd have expected you to know better. Take this to TOS, and you'll likely find folks that know exactly what's wrong, and how to fix it. Really more the venue for your issue.

Trust me, you didn't hurt my feelings, and I'll still post here because I've always received good intel in the past, just seemed like I caught a lot of professionals during the wrong week of the month......and I say that in jest.

Vegasshooter
04-07-17, 20:59
Excellent. Seriously, I'm glad you're taking this with a grain of salt. Good. We are probably a bit of a finicky bunch. There is truly a wealth of knowledge here. The "noise" ratio has increased a bit here lately, but that happens when things grow in popularity. Glad to see the awareness grow, but it comes with some downsides.

You have a base gun that is great. Play around with it until you're happy. Just keep your original parts, so you can put it back together for "serious" work.

Again, glad all is cool. Glad you're here. There's room for everyone.

WillieFlo
04-07-17, 21:08
Excellent. Seriously, I'm glad you're taking this with a grain of salt. Good. We are probably a bit of a finicky bunch. There is truly a wealth of knowledge here. The "noise" ratio has increased a bit here lately, but that happens when things grow in popularity. Glad to see the awareness grow, but it comes with some downsides.

You have a base gun that is great. Play around with it until you're happy. Just keep your original parts, so you can put it back together for "serious" work.

Again, glad all is cool. Glad you're here. There's room for everyone.

Thanks Vegasshooter. It's all good. I just get a wild hair to try something out of the box every once in a while being a gearhead. I don't have a vehicle I've ever left stock, but I guess my wrenching skills are better on 4x4's and super chargers than on my AR......have a good one from TX.

georgeib
04-08-17, 06:02

Hahahaha! Really made me laugh there, thank you. Gonna have to remember that one. :D

PaLEOjd
04-15-17, 15:43
Who's looking for sympathy? I asked some advice on making something work, but I didn't know I was going to get bitchy responses from a bunch of trigger snobs. F'n forget you guys. I've had the rifle for 6 years and like to try new things with my rifle. My ****'n choice. Just thought there was a group more technically knowledgable on here that was open to assisting, not criticizing my choices.

The easiest way to make it work is to remove all of the nonsense you added to a perfectly fine carbine.......Problem you caused will be solved after that. Good luck.

Shiz
04-16-17, 00:10
It's like you followed me into Subway yesterday. I was so invested in buying all that sandwich that I just kept eating it, and ordered another one and forced it down while asking other Subway cusstomers, "Why does my sandwich taste like SHIT?" they replied, "Because you are eating a shit sandwich dumbass!" Then I went ape shit on them.

Kdubya
04-16-17, 12:22
Original - It's like you followed me into Subway yesterday. I was so invested in buying all that sandwich that I just kept eating it, and ordered another one, and when people said "EEEW" I got all butthurt and started calling them sandwich elitists!

Edited - It's like you followed me into Subway yesterday. I was so invested in buying all that sandwich that I just kept eating it, and ordered another one and forced it down while asking other Subway cusstomers, "Why does my sandwich taste like SHIT?" they replied, "Because you are eating a shit sandwich dumbass!" Then I went ape shit on them.

Isn't the point of editing a post to make it better? I'm not sure this was an improvement.

Mike14_07
04-16-17, 22:36
I hunt hogs in texas almost every weekend and have no idea why anyone would use a binary trigger or a bumpfire stock, or both when hunting anything. Going out and dumping a mag as fast as possible at a group of hogs seems like a dumb way to get a bunch of animals wounded that youll never be able to track down. Not to mention if you wanted to eat one itd be peppered to death if you manage to hit any at all. if somebody showed up to go hunting with us and had that shit on their rifle we wouldnt be hunting with them

strambo
04-17-17, 22:17
I'm a pretty laid back non-judgy type, but that you started with a DDM4 almost brings a tear.

With the price/availability of AR's and parts, this is a great excuse to build one with the Adam Arms Kit and Tacon trigger to be your hog-slayer, sell the Slidefire to go towards the project. Put the DDM4 back to stock for a great training and SHTF rifle.

WickedWillis
04-18-17, 10:24
I hunt hogs in texas almost every weekend and have no idea why anyone would use a binary trigger or a bumpfire stock, or both when hunting anything. Going out and dumping a mag as fast as possible at a group of hogs seems like a dumb way to get a bunch of animals wounded that youll never be able to track down. Not to mention if you wanted to eat one itd be peppered to death if you manage to hit any at all. if somebody showed up to go hunting with us and had that shit on their rifle we wouldnt be hunting with them

I think this really helped dispel his myth of using it as a hog hunting rifle. Unless he's irresponsible as hell.

Inkslinger
04-18-17, 10:53
I think this really helped dispel his myth of using it as a hog hunting rifle. Unless he's irresponsible as hell.

I saw a video of some scumbag hog hunting with tannerite, maybe it's the same guy.

WickedWillis
04-18-17, 10:56
I saw a video of some scumbag hog hunting with tannerite, maybe it's the same guy.

F that noise.

Scrubber3
04-19-17, 06:47
I am going to have to chime in here on this one about the hunting feral hogs part. In some parts of Texas and other parts of the country, hogs are destroying crops and pasture land at the tune of billions of dollars. This is quite literally food being taken out of the mouths of the farmers and their kids. Not to mention driving the cost of produce up for the rest of us which in turn increases the cost of other things which means it is more expensive for me to feed my 2 babies a healthy diet. Let us not forget that hogs can spread diseases to humans.

No, the hunting is over. I believe it is now war. Pull out the beltfeds and mortars. Light em up.

Now, about the rifle: You fwcked up a perfectly good DDM4. Return it to stock and it will perform much better. Take a class to become more effective at using it to land more hits and conserve ammo. All that gimmicky garbage won't help you hit more hogs. I promise.

RobertTheTexan
04-19-17, 07:12
It's like you followed me into Subway yesterday. I was so invested in buying all that sandwich that I just kept eating it, and ordered another one and forced it down while asking other Subway cusstomers, "Why does my sandwich taste like SHIT?" they replied, "Because you are eating a shit sandwich dumbass!" Then I went ape shit on them.

Ummm....what did you just say? Been hitting any secret sauce? lol

sasquatchoslav
04-19-17, 08:20
I am going to have to chime in here on this one about the hunting feral hogs part. In some parts of Texas and other parts of the country, hogs are destroying crops and pasture land at the tune of billions of dollars. This is quite literally food being taken out of the mouths of the farmers and their kids. Not to mention driving the cost of produce up for the rest of us which in turn increases the cost of other things which means it is more expensive for me to feed my 2 babies a healthy diet. Let us not forget that hogs can spread diseases to humans.

No, the hunting is over. I believe it is now war. Pull out the beltfeds and mortars. Light em up.

We have traps stocked 24/7/365 plus we all shoot at every one we see and we are still falling behind given they breed at 10 months. With 3k head of cattle it's a non-stop event replanting fields, repairing fences, treating/prepping for new growth. It's so bad here there is no season on private property: every day as many as you can take and even using FMJ. The fields don't come back after being rooted unless replanted, but even worse the rooting brings up weeds and plants that are poisonous to livestock. So now the managers have to go back out to treat the land b/f replanting with forage quality grasses. I *thought* I knew how expensive the upkeep post-hog infestation was until I saw the bills for equipment rental, seed, herbicides etc. It's staggering.

TexasAggie2005
04-19-17, 08:32
We have traps stocked 24/7/365 plus we all shoot at every one we see and we are still falling behind given they breed at 10 months. With 3k head of cattle it's a non-stop event replanting fields, repairing fences, treating/prepping for new growth. It's so bad here there is no season on private property: every day as many as you can take and even using FMJ. The fields don't come back after being rooted unless replanted, but even worse the rooting brings up weeds and plants that are poisonous to livestock. So now the managers have to go back out to treat the land b/f replanting with forage quality grasses. I *thought* I knew how expensive the upkeep post-hog infestation was until I saw the bills for equipment rental, seed, herbicides etc. It's staggering.

Quoted for truth. Last estimate I heard, was that feral hogs cause over a $1B in damage per year in Texas alone. I don't care how they get wounded or die, they're nothing more than a big rat that you can also eat if you want. I am a big proponent of the ethical hunting of game animals. But pest control is not hunting, and all methods of injury or death are acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

sasquatchoslav
04-19-17, 08:45
Quoted for truth. Last estimate I heard, was that feral hogs cause over a $1B in damage per year in Texas alone. I don't care how they get wounded or die, they're nothing more than a big rat that you can also eat if you want. I am a big proponent of the ethical hunting of game animals. But pest control is not hunting, and all methods of injury or death are acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Hogs aren't completely worthless. They make great coyote bait on a butchers hook hung off a limb.

mtlung87
04-19-17, 16:39
Hogs aren't completely worthless. They make great coyote bait on a butchers hook hung off a limb.

The backstraps are pretty tasty.

sasquatchoslav
04-19-17, 16:53
The backstraps are pretty tasty.

I actually have a decent crock pot routine with mojo pork marinade. It's darn good just jam a slab of pork in there and it's a fine meal, but I will admit I defer to the venison pile 10 to 1 over pork.

Mike14_07
04-19-17, 17:34
I was about to say...i usually will keep and process a 100ish lb sow and stock the deep freeze but i have been known to cut just the backstraps out of few.