PDA

View Full Version : Coatins on parts

CooperM
09-25-08, 15:47
What are the different coatings on the AR, or should I say what type of coatings can come on the AR parts.

I know Phosphate is one, and is one coating better than another?

Mark

SpartanArms
09-25-08, 19:59
CooperM,

I'm not sure exactly how to answer your question. What parts in particular are you referring to when you say "AR parts"? Do you mean the small parts on the lower receiver (mag catch, selector switch, trigger, hammer, etc.) or are you referring to larger parts like bolt-carrier groups, barrels, upper/lower receivers?

As far as BCGs are concerned I have seen them hard chromed, NP3'd, DiamondBlack coated, etc. As for barrels I have seen these done with an NP3 and Roguard (from Robar) finish as well as DiamondBlack finish (available from MSTN and other vendors). There are also other aftermarket finishes like Norrells Moly-Resin and KG GunKote. Standard AR parts are usually finished with a phosphate parkerizing however. As far as which finish is best, it really depends on how much maintenance you want to deal with. Some coatings are more susceptible to rust than others.:D

CooperM
09-25-08, 20:10
Hey SpartanArms,

As you put it, what is the preferable coating on the small lower parts, and preferred coating on the bolt.

I saw a titanium bolt at Bravo Company, another twist but that more metallurgy.

Thanks,
Mark

SpartanArms
09-25-08, 21:04
CooperM,

As far as the bolt/carrier group is concerned I personally prefer either an L.M.T. with a DiamondBlack finish or a Young chromed bcg with DiamondBlack finish. It tends to cut down on the cleaning time.:D However I still have several standard L.M.T. bcg's without any special coating and they work just fine. As far as various small parts for the lower are concerned the standard ones work just fine, and IMHO don't require any special finish. Just make sure you get quality parts from a reputable vendor.

CooperM
09-25-08, 21:14
So far I have bought:
*Tactical Inovations Billit Lower
*G&R Lower kit (No TG)
*Mapul CTR stock
*CMT Buffer tube, Nut and plate
*H Buffer and Spring from G&R
*Yes, I bought the extractror o ring (D ring)

Trouble finding a good buffer tube wrench (everyone is sold out of the good ones)

Lower to come in the next few weeks unless you have some suggestions.

I would like to build a 20 inch upper.

Mark

SpartanArms
09-25-08, 22:26
CooperM,

It sounds like you're off to a good start there. I've personally been eyeing one of those Tactical Innovations billet lowers for a build myself; they look pretty good to me. I know that Stickman on the forums here has a TI billet lower that he's building up too, if that means anything to you.:D

As far as 20" uppers go, I can't really recommend anything to you...I don't have a lot of experience with uppers that long other than some issue "muskets" and some older Colts. If you're looking for a 20" the only ones I can personally recommend are the Colt A2's, although I've heard some good things about the new Sabre Defence A4's. Although if you don't mind giving up 2" of tube the Noveske 18" SPR is a good barrel as well.:cool:

CooperM
09-25-08, 22:34
The Musket comment was pretty funny,, Ok, then it is an 18inch for me!

Yes, I saw that Stick bought one also. I have been in Vicksburg MS all week and I should have a few boxes for me when I get home and a lower at my gun the local gun store in N VA.

Do you reccomend buying a complete upper or buildling?

Mark

SpartanArms
09-25-08, 22:53
CooperM,

That kinda depends. If you have much experience building uppers then I would definitely say build it yourself. If not then I would be a little hesitant, although the only way you learn is to get your hands dirty!:D If money isn't an issue, then I'd have a pro like Grant (G&R Tactical) or Wes (MSTN) build you an upper. They do good work. If money is tight and you're mechanically inclined you can definitely "roll your own" upper. If you do build your own, don't rush it and use quality parts...you'll be happier in the long run.