PDA

View Full Version : Google to battle "fake news"

WillBrink
04-08-17, 11:16
In an attempt to help people separate fake news from facts, Google has decided to attempt some more of meta fact checking system using various sources. Personally I'm not comfortable with anyone, group or org, being the arbiter of what is truth, and can lead to a slippery slope of "approved" truth. I'll attempt to keep an open mind however....Oh and this one very easy to answer:

"Still unanswered is whether these fact-check analyses will sway people who are already prone to believe false reports because they confirm preconceived notions."

Answer is: No.

Google expands fact checking in news searches

Google will expand the use of "fact check" tags in its search results — the tech industry's latest effort to combat false and misleading news stories.

People who search for a topic in Google's main search engine or the Google News section will see a conclusion such as "mostly true" or "false" next to stories that have been fact checked.

Google has been working with more than 100 news organizations and fact-checking groups , including The Associated Press, the BBC and NPR. Their conclusions will appear in search results as long as they meet certain formatting criteria for automation.

Google said only a few of those organizations, including PolitiFact and Snopes.com, have already met those requirements; The Washington Post also says it complies. Google said it expects the ranks of compliant organizations to grow following Friday's announcement.

Not all news stories will be fact checked. Multiple organizations may reach different conclusions; Google will show those separately.

Still unanswered is whether these fact-check analyses will sway people who are already prone to believe false reports because they confirm preconceived notions.

Glenn Kessler, who writes "The Fact Checker" column at The Washington Post, said in an email that Google's efforts should at least "make it easier for people around the world to obtain information that counters the spin by politicians and political advocacy groups, as well as purveyors of 'fake news.'"

He added that "over time, I expect that people increasingly will want to read a fact-check on a controversial issue or statement, even if the report conflicts with their political leanings."

Cont:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/google-offers-fact-check-conclusions-news-searches-46654436

Honu
04-08-17, 14:35
snopes hahahah far left site designed to spread what they want

anyone who believes snopes is stupid sadly

yeah so we need to shut down the right view point by having our far left programers use far left sites to determine what is real !

kinda like obama appointing people to investigate himself

WillBrink
04-08-17, 14:41
snopes hahahah far left site designed to spread what they want

anyone who believes snopes is stupid sadly

yeah so we need to shut down the right view point by having our far left programers use far left sites to determine what is real !

kinda like obama appointing people to investigate himself

Snopes used to be a great source for finding out if some whacky story you read on the net was true and such, but they then decided to fact check stuff clearly out of their lane and expertise, and showed obvious bias, and ended their credibility as an objective source.

Firefly
04-08-17, 14:57
I'm sick of the term "fake news".

It's ALL fake.

CNN panders to people with basic cable too lazy to switch to another news channel
MSNBC panders to the Prius driving, vegan, life partner bunch
Fox panders to the cranky old people who need filler between reruns of Matlock and NCIS
BBC panders to people who are killing time waiting for Dr. Who
NPR panders to the Well Rounded Democrat who wants to feel smart and opinionated but without actually doing anything but maybe recycling
Glenn Beck panders to the weird, cult types who seem okay until they start talking about Revelations

And Alex Jones panders to "angry white men" too scared to call a black guy an N to his face, and yet is the "victim" of some social conspiracy to get his son(s) into giving out BJs at the bowling alley

So.....ain't concerned. A circle jerk of internet "detectives" playing gotcha games over dumb shit that is mostly status quo

sevenhelmet
04-08-17, 14:59
Every attempt to "fact check" or provide objective analysis on the Internet so far has been a complete failure, exploited by a 3rd party, or fallen victim to the source's own bias.

Color me skeptical.

grnamin
04-08-17, 17:41
Fake? "There are lies, damned lies, and journalism." A daughter of a friend of my graduated with a degree in journalism 3 years ago. I told her that it used to be that the first casualty of war was the truth, but these days it's the first casualty of journalism.

1911-A1
04-08-17, 18:49
The problem isn't so much with biased news as it is with blatantly made-up nonsense with no citations, credible sources, etc. There are also a not-insignificant number of "satire" sites that write absolute lies under the guise of "entertainment", with zero value as real satire.

TAZ
04-08-17, 20:09
LOL!!! So are we going to have "sponsored" oooops sorry meant fact checked stories show up on top of all the other hits.

grnamin
04-08-17, 20:13
This just in... Hens have recruited foxes to guard their houses.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Dienekes
04-08-17, 20:38
Personally I thought "Our Weekly Reader" in the 5th grade was the high point of American journalism. It's been downhill ever since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekly_Reader

parishioner
04-08-17, 23:13
Control of information and manipulation of language. If only there was a dystopian novel highlighting the dangers of such practices.

SteyrAUG
04-09-17, 02:11
Control of information and manipulation of language. If only there was a dystopian novel highlighting the dangers of such practices.

Nobody has actually read a book since the mid 1980s.

RetroRevolver77
04-09-17, 09:33
Now they have youtube pulling advertising from Conservative website to kill those as well. Seems we didn't vote the way wanted us to and the Globalist are angry.

glocktogo
04-09-17, 14:36
Most days when I check Yahoo against Google News, Google is left of Yahoo and that's quite a feat!

tl;dr, I'll pass on Google's "fact" checker.

Pilot1
04-09-17, 15:13
Most days when I check Yahoo against Google News, Google is left of Yahoo and that's quite a feat!

Just about all of the "technology" companies are pretty far left. Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Amazon, Comcast (owns NBC, MSNBC, etc) and a litany of others are all on board with Globalization, MMGW, PC culture, bigger government, higher taxes, and all the other lefty ideologies. They were winning with Obama, and they KNEW it would continue with Hillary. Then Trump comes along, and upsets the apple cart. They are reacting to being slowed down, but wanting to FURTHER control the message we all hear. It is just pure propaganda. Goebbels would be jealous if he were alive.

Ryno12
04-09-17, 15:40

Yep.

When Google stops manipulating search results & new feeds, I'll maybe care about their fake news checker.

https://youtu.be/9RP2_LcfRgQ

Honu
04-09-17, 16:47
Snopes used to be a great source for finding out if some whacky story you read on the net was true and such, but they then decided to fact check stuff clearly out of their lane and expertise, and showed obvious bias, and ended their credibility as an objective source.

ditto that :) like the a guy who ate pop rocks and drank coke and blew up kinda thing :) or finding out if you really do have a long lost african cousin worth 20 million :)

but those days are gone I reckon

Moose-Knuckle
04-10-17, 04:50
Just about all of the "technology" companies are pretty far left. Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Amazon, Comcast (owns NBC, MSNBC, etc) and a litany of others are all on board with Globalization, MMGW, PC culture, bigger government, higher taxes, and all the other lefty ideologies. They were winning with Obama, and they KNEW it would continue with Hillary. Then Trump comes along, and upsets the apple cart. They are reacting to being slowed down, but wanting to FURTHER control the message we all hear. It is just pure propaganda. Goebbels would be jealous if he were alive.

You saved me some typing.