PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Cops: Question for you

thepatriot2705
04-08-17, 19:36
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a

firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under

the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Does this mean a person with a concealed carry permit from another state can lawfully conceal carry in a vehicle driving through illinois?

pointblank4445
04-08-17, 20:00

Does this mean a person with a concealed carry permit from another state can lawfully conceal carry in a vehicle driving through illinois?

Disclaimer: while I am sworn LE in IL, this does not constitute legal advice.

...but yeah, that is correct. If you're GTG in your respective state and are traveling/within your vehicle, there shouldn't be any problems in that respect. Then again, I work right in the heart of IL, so I don't get a ton of this like one would closer to the border or a Trooper on the interstates.

As a practical individual, it obviously opens up issues when say...getting fuel, stopping to drain the lizzard, etc. As we all know leaving guns (locked up or no) unattended in cars isn't the best plan.

signal4l
04-08-17, 22:18

Yes, you can keep a loaded handgun in your vehicle in IL if you have a permit in your state of residence

moonshot
04-09-17, 10:19
OK. Follow up question.

If your gun is not going to be kept loaded and within reach, it may as well be unloaded, locked up and in the trunk. Therefore, if it is loaded and within reach, either in the glove compartment, in a car holster, or on your person (IWB, ankle, etc), what do you do if you get stopped and the officer asked you to step out of the car?

Obviously, you inform them, but once you step outside the car, what are the laws governing the gun, especially if you are carrying it? (I'm not sure under what circumstances an officer would ask a driver to step outside. The few times I have been stopped for speeding, no one ever asked that I step outside, but I figure it could happen).

pointblank4445
04-09-17, 12:18
OK. Follow up question.

If your gun is not going to be kept loaded and within reach, it may as well be unloaded, locked up and in the trunk. Therefore, if it is loaded and within reach, either in the glove compartment, in a car holster, or on your person (IWB, ankle, etc), what do you do if you get stopped and the officer asked you to step out of the car?

Obviously, you inform them, but once you step outside the car, what are the laws governing the gun, especially if you are carrying it? (I'm not sure under what circumstances an officer would ask a driver to step outside. The few times I have been stopped for speeding, no one ever asked that I step outside, but I figure it could happen).

You would be complying with the officer's request to do so. Are you thinking this is some sort of entrapment thing where he's going to snatch you up for being outside your vehicle and no longer within the exact letter of the law?

For a variety of reasons, I don't see this scenario coming up much less being an issue.

moonshot
04-09-17, 12:54
You would be complying with the officer's request to do so. Are you thinking this is some sort of entrapment thing where he's going to snatch you up for being outside your vehicle and no longer within the exact letter of the law?

For a variety of reasons, I don't see this scenario coming up much less being an issue.

I wasn't thinking entrapment, but being stopped downstate is likely to be far different than being stopped in Cook County, or the City of Chicago. There have been plenty of reported cases of legal problems for drivers in NJ and NY who were residents of other states and had valid permits in those states, who nevertheless violated some letter of the local law and a nightmare ensued.

There may indeed be more to these cases than I am aware, and NJ and NY are not IL, and the state gun laws may be far different, but I grew up in IL (Lake County), and I've never known that state to be open minded regarding guns.

pointblank4445
04-09-17, 14:31
, but I grew up in IL (Lake County), and I've never known that state to be open minded regarding guns.

IL resident all my life and I can't say I've known Cook/Lake county area to really have much info on the state outside of their respective counties. Much like I don't care for what they're saying about in Chicago in Cairo. Forced legislation stemming from a major metropolitan does not always reflect the populous as a whole.

The police tactics aspect of your scenario aside, the public perception was that the unwashed LE's in the state were going to scared stupid of having legally armed persons and would drag them out via gunpoint...like we've never seen a gun before. This has not been the case despite what some of the citizenry and brass would have you think.

moonshot
04-09-17, 14:53
...the public perception was that the unwashed LE's in the state were going to scared stupid of having legally armed persons and would drag them out via gunpoint...like we've never seen a gun before. This has not been the case despite what some of the citizenry and brass would have you think.

I never thought this. I have far too much respect for LE to think this, but regardless of the indivual officer's personal feelings on gun ownership by the unwashed masses, they may be getting policy directives that make me prefer to not be a test case.

I frequently travel through Illinois, sometimes through Chicago, and I do worry.

pointblank4445
04-09-17, 18:51
Not saying you did or would, but this was the perception from residents of states where CCW isn't new and startling (85-90% of the rest of the country) and from the peanut gallery and policy makers.

Again offering some unofficial advice, I would advise a carrier to:
- Comply with what is presented in the ILCS statute.
- Be able to reference or help refer one to said paragraph/subsection should the need arise.
- Be patient and polite should an LE interaction occur.

Many of us are aware though that there are too many caveats to the CCW statute that make it impractical at times and that good, old-fashioned "reasonableness" might be required. But, you don't know what kinda cop you might get so the better advice: just don't get yourself pulled over :cool:.

thepatriot2705
04-09-17, 20:17
Not saying you did or would, but this was the perception from residents of states where CCW isn't new and startling (85-90% of the rest of the country) and from the peanut gallery and policy makers.

Again offering some unofficial advice, I would advise a carrier to:
- Comply with what is presented in the ILCS statute.
- Be able to reference or help refer one to said paragraph/subsection should the need arise.
- Be patient and polite should an LE interaction occur.

Many of us are aware though that there are too many caveats to the CCW statute that make it impractical at times and that good, old-fashioned "reasonableness" might be required. But, you don't know what kinda cop you might get so the better advice: just don't get yourself pulled over :cool:.

The reason I asked is i do some storm chasing all through the midwest and the plains. Illinois is the only state that does not reciprocate with my state.

This is all helpful.

pointblank4445
04-09-17, 21:13
The reason I asked is i do some storm chasing all through the midwest and the plains. Illinois is the only state that does not reciprocate with my state.

This is all helpful.

Depending on how much time one spends in IL, there is also the non-resident CCW. This doesn't come up much so I'm not as familiar with it so take it with a grain. I know that it is 2x the cost ($300 instead of $150) and that only residents of a few states can apply without getting the IL curriculum (New Mexico, Hawaii, Virginia, and South Carolina). Yeah, it sucks, but it's valid for 5 years, and if one spent enough time going through and stopping here, $60/year is relatively cheap insurance to have the ability to use CCW to it's available extent in this state and not just being confined to one's vehicle.

My hope is in time that they will loosen up and allow some sane reciprocity in the future. The wheels turn slow, but between finally getting CCW, and the fact that we're considering dropping FOID and allowing suppressors is always a good sign and that we aren't as bad off as some assume.