PDA

View Full Version : Slip 2000 gun cleaner...anybody ever rusted their gun?

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-09-17, 21:13
Hey guys,

Getting old so I have been getting a little more careful about using funky solvents, oils, etc. So I started wearing gloves during cleanings. Well, now I ordered some slip 2000 cleaner and lube. I took my beretta apart and cleaned it. But now I am wondering about the firing pin channel, etc. I dried everything off with an old T-shirt and then I blasted everything with the lube.

I am paranoid. I really don't feel like tearing the gun down every time, but I sure don't want my gun rusting from the inside out.

Circle_10
04-09-17, 21:21
Is Slip known for causing rust? I use Slip Gun Lube and Slip EWL30 as my main lubes, I've never found the guts of any of my guns to be rusty after sitting for an extended time following the application of either Slip product.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-09-17, 21:24
Not that I know of but the cleaner is water-based

Circle_10
04-09-17, 21:26
Ah okay. I gotcha. I've never used their cleaner, only the lubricants.

Kain
04-09-17, 21:44
Fair warning, I've been up and running all day and am unwinding with a few brews. If I miss something, please forgive the oversight.

Anyway, in regards to the question as I am reading it. If it is a cleaner type item, I would not think that it is something designed to be used prior to long term storage. Honest opinion there. If you are storing the gun long term, following a detail cleaning, I've apply some type of preservative spray, or the old handy grease and store it like that. Of course making sure all water has been dried off would also be important. Personal opinion of course.

MegademiC
04-09-17, 22:28
Lube it with slip 2k oil. That stuff spreads and will cover every surface. Then you don't have to worry.

Edit, just saw you lubed, it will not rust as long as it's in a reasonable environment.

RetroRevolver77
04-09-17, 23:38
Are you serious? Water based?

militarymoron
04-10-17, 07:51
From their website (https://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_725.php):

"Product Characteristics
725 Gun Cleaner / Degreaser is a biodegradable, non-solvent solution non-flammable water based product. This product contains quality surfactants, wetting agents, emulsifiers, cleaners and rust inhibitors. Rinses freely and is compatible with most oil water separators.

To help prevent rusting, users must apply a Slip 2000 Gun Lubricant immediately after cleaning to disperse any moisture in parts."

jondoe297
04-10-17, 12:54
I've been using both the cleaner and EWL30 lubricant for a few years. I've had no issues on Beretta 92s, Glocks, M&Ps, 1911s, AR-15s, Semi-Auto Shotguns, etc, etc.

Flankenstein
04-10-17, 14:07
None here but I lube pretty well after cleaning and live in a high mountain desert climate.

Ron3
04-10-17, 23:01
I only have the "EWL" which is the lube.

It seems good. No rust issues. I got it for free. It's overpriced like a lot of gun lubes. For gun parts (things that rotate, or I can't reach well, or for pouring into AR's) that need oil I use automobile engine oil. I really prefer grease. Stays on the part and takes carbon and gunk with it when it's wiped off.

scottryan
04-11-17, 11:03
Any type of aerosol cleaner/degreaser causes condensation and then causes rust.

There is no reason to have any of this in your shop. I have seen multi thousand dollar guns ruined from rust after using this shit.

Straight Shooter
04-11-17, 15:39
BALLISTOL for the win.

Doc Safari
04-11-17, 16:00
In keeping with my philosophy of "two is one, one is none", I buy two of each firearm: one to shoot regularly and one to vet for reliability that becomes a SHTF weapon. The shooter I don't baby other than what's necessary to keep it running. The prepper stash copy I generously coat with Break Free and either lock it in the safe or seal it in a military ammo can.

I have not had one of my "stash" weapons rust in twenty years.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-11-17, 19:41
Well, thankfully I only used it on my shooter beretta. I actually do keep a spare. I sprayed oil in every crevice over the last two days.I figure I stopped it. Either way, lesson learned.

Iraqgunz
04-13-17, 04:06
Grease for the win!

I only have the "EWL" which is the lube.

It seems good. No rust issues. I got it for free. It's overpriced like a lot of gun lubes. For gun parts (things that rotate, or I can't reach well, or for pouring into AR's) that need oil I use automobile engine oil. I really prefer grease. Stays on the part and takes carbon and gunk with it when it's wiped off.

BrigandTwoFour
04-15-17, 09:47
Grease for the win!

I'm also a fan of grease, and have been using S2K weapon grease for a while.