PDA

View Full Version : It's done... (updated 10/5)

LOKNLOD
09-25-08, 20:29
Update: Added more details and range report.

Been working on this one for a quite a while. Really liking the overall feel of this setup so far.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/LOKNLOD/carbine2.jpg

BCM mid-length upper ("1st gen" :p)
Shaved pinned gas block
Troy rear BUIS, LT/Troy Front BUIS
Trijicon TR21R in Larue SPR-E
Larue 12.0 rail
Magpul XTM panels
Tango Down vertical grip (no, it doesn't match, I know!)
BFG Vickers sling w/ QD swivel ends
Charles Daly Defense "blem" lower w/ G&R Parts kit
Magpul MOE grip
Magpul UBR stock
Surefire G2L in VTAC light mount

10/5/08 update:
Got to hit the range yesterday and get it roughly sighted in at 50 yards. I say "roughly" sighted because it wasn't an exact range and not the best ammo. But it is a workable zero for now. I fired 120 rds of Win Q3131 (not "A) and 60 rounds of Wolf -- so at least we know it runs on the weak stuff. I plan to get it fine tuned with better quality ammo soon.

No surprises though:
The TR21R is versatile. It's not the ideal CQB optic but its very workable at close range and the 4x setting is a big help at longer ranges. It's a compromise but it works for me. This is a general purpose carbine, and I think its well suited to this role. My environment ranges from suburban to rural and I'm not likely to be kicking any doors with this thing.

The UBR balances the package out nicely. The very consistent cheek weld regardless of stock position is nice when coupled with the optic. It's not forgiving of misalignment like an Aimpoint so anything that helps is good in my book.

Everything else is pretty well tried-and-true. The BCM upper, G2L at 11 o'clock, Larue rail, Vickers sling, those are known commodities in the AR world. I'm certainly not reinventing the wheel here.

So far I'm very pleased and looking forward to getting a chance to run it a little harder.

SeriousStudent
09-25-08, 20:40
Very nice! How do you like the UBR?

canucklehead
09-25-08, 20:42
How is the eye relief with the scope mounted so far forward? I'm guessing you're a 'nost to the charging handle' type shooter eh? :D

VERY nice build - I'm jealous!

LOKNLOD
09-25-08, 20:44
Very nice! How do you like the UBR?

It's only been installed for a couple hours, so take this for what it's worth, but so far, I'm very pleased. It is a little heavy, but it does balance out this rifle very well.

Eye relief is a big issue with the Accupoint, and the UBR is very well suited to that. The cheekpiece never moves, and I'll be able to set the preset to get the right length quick and easy.

Pilgrim
09-25-08, 20:50
Not sure it could get any better than this!

At least not for my needs.

Boy would I love to spend a day at the 400 yard range with this baby....

Pilgrim
09-25-08, 21:05
It's only been installed for a couple hours, so take this for what it's worth, but so far, I'm very pleased. It is a little heavy, but it does balance out this rifle very well.

Eye relief is a big issue with the Accupoint, and the UBR is very well suited to that. The cheekpiece never moves, and I'll be able to set the present to get the right length quick and easy.

I have the SPR-1.5, and really wish I'd gotten the SPR-E. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the 1.5, but with some traditional variable scopes, the scope could be just slightly too far back for "nose to charging handle types" like me.

Next LaRue mount will be a SPR-E. I am very sold on the concept of traditional grass optics being mounted on my AR's. Could be the fault of my aging eyes?

LaRue is one of the few companies that just seems to do everything right.

PRGGodfather
09-25-08, 21:38
Beautiful stick, brother. Be sure to give us a range AAR!

usp45ss
09-25-08, 22:29
Very nice build. My 6.8 build is going to be something similar. Look forward to a range report.

Jeffy
09-25-08, 22:33
That's how I wanted to build my AR before I went the M4gery route. :eek:

Looks great!

Centerfire
09-27-08, 09:25
Looks great. How do you like the Trijicon and what reticle are you running?

bushy
09-27-08, 14:43
Awesome stick!

bluedog
09-27-08, 18:42
Sweet set up. All dressed up and going places...

docsherm
09-27-08, 23:13
That is a great set up. That is one of the most versatile designed rifles that has been posted here. I can not wait for the range report.

Has anyone tried to use the Trijicon TR21R in a CQB setting? If so what did you think?

LOKNLOD
10-05-08, 21:05
Updated the original post w/ range report.

docsherm
10-05-08, 22:13
Great report. Thanks for the info.

A_shizzle
10-05-08, 22:51
Hell ya thats a nice rifle!

beau1911
10-06-08, 13:19
Looks great! I also zeroed a TR21 this weekend and almost couldnt believe it. Mounted in a Larue SPR- E, it was only 3 inches high at 50yards right out of the box! I never even had to touch the windage. Easiest zero of my life.

LOKNLOD
10-06-08, 13:33
Looks great! I also zeroed a TR21 this weekend and almost couldnt believe it. Mounted in a Larue SPR- E, it was only 3 inches high at 50yards right out of the box! I never even had to touch the windage. Easiest zero of my life.

Mine was way off...but only because I had previously zeroed it with my .22 upper to do some close range plinking and do some comparisons to my Aimpoint.

My only complain on zeroing was that when went to put the up/down cap back over the knob, I had it cocked and it hung on the knob, and I spun it about 10-15 clicks when I tried to tighten the knob. I felt like a dumbass, and had to get everything back out and go back and reconfirm my zero. :rolleyes:

beau1911
10-06-08, 14:12
I was able to do a little longer range shooting also, so heres some info for you. At 100yds with 55gr ammo, impact is right at the bottom of the triangle. At 200 I was right on with about 1in holdover. All in all I think the TR-21 is a very versitile optic and a great value. My only qualm is its a little heavy but overall it gets a thumbs up.

LOKNLOD
10-06-08, 14:25
I was able to do a little longer range shooting also, so heres some info for you. At 100yds with 55gr ammo, impact is right at the bottom of the triangle. At 200 I was right on with about 1in holdover. All in all I think the TR-21 is a very versitile optic and a great value. My only qualm is its a little heavy but overall it gets a thumbs up.

How did you zero? If you're on at 50, it ought to be a little high at 100, then back on out at 200 or so. I zeroed for the tip of the triangle at 50 yards, but didn't shoot for groups at 100 (just plinked a old tank from a mini-compressor).

Charles Daly
10-06-08, 16:41
Very nice build! I'm glad to see we are in the heart of it! :)

Stickman
10-06-08, 19:55
Has anyone tried to use the Trijicon TR21R in a CQB setting? If so what did you think?

I've got a similar setup with a carbine and TR21. I've used it in training CQB, but never taken it out on a patrol rifle or other real world settings. Overall, its probably the best bang for the buck variable optic out there.

docsherm
10-06-08, 21:56
Thanks for the input Stickman. I was thinking about getting one.