PDA

View Full Version : Just or the heck of it... Weirdest thing you've ever *personally* done to an AR?

Diamondback
04-10-17, 13:03
This thread isn't for stuff you've seen, or heard, but personally done yourself--like the title says, what's the weirdest (strange, funny, odd, any way you choose to interpret it) thing you've ever done to one of your own AR's?

In my case, I'm gonna say three-way tossup:
1. Assembling a lower without even getting out of bed other than to haul the armorer's vise, parts and tools up.
2. Bathroom Photography Studio.
3. Starting to complete an 80% receiver blank with *no power tools* just for the LULZ... and to prove the point to the Lefties that when you can turn a blank into a live receiver with only hand tools (admittedly, polymer lowers make it easier) not only is the genie out of the bottle, but the bottle done been so thoroughly smashed to pieces there's nothing LEFT to try to cram said genie back into.

Honorable Mention, not yet done but considering: Looking for a way to attach a couple mag carriers to a pistol buffer-tube, SIG or Shockwave brace without turning it into a "functional stock" and without having it come out Bubba or worse Mall Ninja. (The goal with an AR-pistol build I'm considering is "break up the shape so it doesn't print as 'gun' against duffel side, so I'm thinking having a couple 30's strapped on as ready reloads might help compensate for only a ten up the well.)

Don't take this too seriously, it's meant to be a thread for good-natured fun laughing at ourselves, each other and the things we've done.

Firefly
04-10-17, 13:56
Try assemblling an A2 rear sight without profanity, blasphemy, and hard feelings toward all living things.

ETA and burst FCG, seriously. Screw. That.

fallenromeo
04-10-17, 14:31
Not an AR, but on an AK. My former best friend bought a WASR 10 here in CA when they were still about $350 around 7 or 8 years ago. He didn't realize until he got it home that it was a single stack gun, and he had a bunch of double stack mags for it that he got at the gun show during his 10 day wait. So I assisted him as he pulled out the dremel and grinded out the mag well of his rifle so he could fit the mags. It wasn't pretty, but the thing actually worked, and never once has a failure.

Doc Safari
04-10-17, 14:58
The weirdest thing I ever did to an AR was to not change a single thing on it.

GH41
04-10-17, 15:19

I've got the opposite problem. I have one with absolutely nothing from the original rifle left. Not even the receivers!

Kain
04-10-17, 15:23
Put together an AR lower with nothing but a screw driver once. Seriously, nothing but a screwdriver, no hex head, no punches, just a flat head screw driver. Used the handle end to push in the roll pins. Actually turned out pretty good, minus the castle nut, but that has been replaced. Still have that lower. And it still works. Not sure if that is weird, or just a sad achievement.

On a side note, took me like 2 hours to get it together with that screwdriver. Took me about 15 minutes to put one together recently with the proper tools.

kirkland
04-10-17, 15:35
Probably the weirdest/dumbest thing I've ever done with it is assemble the BCG without the firing pin and jammed the rifle up all to hell. That was certainly a lesson.

Beyond that, just my own version of torture testing. Thrown the rifle down in the dirt to see if it would jam or fail, dropped it right on the aimpoint to see if it would lose zero or fail, not cleaned it for 1000's of rounds. Not sure if most people do this kind of silly stuff haha.

travistheone
04-10-17, 15:53
created a dildo that was based around a a2 flash hider. big black veiny one. it threaded on and off with ease.

did it to mess with the LGS. took gun out of case and it started flopping around, they couldn't contain themselves.

RobertTheTexan
04-10-17, 16:33
created a dildo that was based around a a2 flash hider. big black veiny one. it threaded on and off with ease.

did it to mess with the LGS. took gun out of case and it started flopping around, they couldn't contain themselves.

Annnnnnnnd YOU good sir, win the prize for:

"Not being right in the head" award

I can't believe you actually beat Firefly. This is a monumental day on the forum.
:jester:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondback
04-10-17, 16:36
Annnnnnnnd YOU good sir, win the prize for:

"Not being right in the head" award

I can't believe you actually beat Firefly. This is a monumental day on the forum.
:jester:

Yup, we might as well all hang it up, he won the thread. *backs away slowly*

lol

Firefly
04-10-17, 18:19
Actually, I am dead dang serious in technical forums. He is free to win. That is TOS crap.

Honestly, I wish this thread was more "difficult" things done during AR assembly.

If anyone knows of an easier time to re-assemble A2 sights or a burst FCG; I'd like to hear it. Lots of woe, especially when you lose the little bearing ball

MistWolf
04-10-17, 18:33
This is certain to be anticlimactic after the unusual muzzle device, but what the heck.

While waiting for Sig brace for my pistol lower, my brother was busting my chops my shorty AR. He said "what's it going to be, when it grows up?"

I sent him a photo with the 20" precision upper and big Leupold attached and said "a sniper pistol".

The LOP of the Sig brace was too short with a pistol RE, so I got rifle RE. To make it work, I had to tap the hole in the back of the receiver for the detent pin and spring and install a screw. I didn't cut the screw short enough and snapped the head of the screw off.

The diameter of the rifle RE was too small. I wrapped it in gaffer's tape so the brace would fit. Redneck engineering at its finest, but it worked.

Mounted a Surefire light to the upper receiver. Not to the handguard. The receiver.

Took a section of rail and cut & shaped it to fit at the end of a Slimline handguard to mount a light.

Used a stack of shims and a crush washer to space an A2 out far enough to make a 14.5" barrel 16" until I could come up with a better solution.

Shortened a low pro gas block to work with a handguard cap to fit Magpul handguards to my shorty AR.

Wrapped the pistol RE with gaffer's tape to fit a Sig Galil arm brace.

Use a South African R4 sling on a Colt SOCOM.

Installed a Franklin Armory Binary Trigger in the shorty

MisterHelix
04-10-17, 18:41
It's not the weirdest thing I've ever seen, but I tried a 56mm trijicon on a 10.5" sbr for a minute.
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l506/dubhelix556/Mobile%20Uploads/BBFC480C-2906-4EEC-9BF9-0289843CE879.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/dubhelix556/media/Mobile%20Uploads/BBFC480C-2906-4EEC-9BF9-0289843CE879.jpg.html)

RobertTheTexan
04-10-17, 23:48
It's not the weirdest thing I've ever seen, but I tried a 56mm trijicon on a 10.5" sbr for a minute.
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l506/dubhelix556/Mobile%20Uploads/BBFC480C-2906-4EEC-9BF9-0289843CE879.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/dubhelix556/media/Mobile%20Uploads/BBFC480C-2906-4EEC-9BF9-0289843CE879.jpg.html)

No, but that does look pretty weird. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
04-11-17, 01:51
Actually, I am dead dang serious in technical forums. He is free to win. That is TOS crap.

Honestly, I wish this thread was more "difficult" things done during AR assembly.

If anyone knows of an easier time to re-assemble A2 sights or a burst FCG; I'd like to hear it. Lots of woe, especially when you lose the little bearing ball

Right, and that makes sense when discussing technical details, responding to a question etc. But this is still a GD thread, so nothing wrong with having a little fun. IMO
I've never taken a front sight apart before, but I did shred a barrel but so bad once that it was more round than with teeth. Sent it off to get Cerakote a few months later and had forgotten about the ol' round
b-nut, when my cerakote guy called me and was like, "How the @$%{+*£?!did you out that barrel nut on and with what?? I spent TWO HOURS getting your barrel nut off. I re-dremeled new grooves in it so I could get a barrel nut off, but I'll be a mother*******, son of a ****** if you ******* think I'm putting that ********** barrel $&@€%>#*}! Nut on a ****** gain.
By this time I can't even hold my phone because I'm laughing at all the new cuss words my friend invented while talking to me. I felt horrible for not remembering to tell him upfront or for not dealing with it myself before I did the hand off. He did tell me this....."I learned a few things about myself while getting that barrel nut from Satan off. Not all of them were good though." Lol we laugh about it now, and I bought a new, good barrel wrench.
I have that barrel nut and a rear takedown spring that's been mangled to death, right on my workbench in my shop. They are constant reminders: 1) Take my time when working on a build. 2) Take my time when working in a build. 3) Use the right tool for the right job, no matter how small. Maybe Mr. Screwdriver up there (Kain, that be you.) learned a little of that last lesson along with me. Lol

tylerw02
04-11-17, 07:43
The weirdest thing I ever did to an AR was take pictures of it and post it on m4c.

Paladinius
04-11-17, 08:47
That's just crazy talk.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Scrubber3
04-11-17, 13:47
Does an M16 in BCT count? If so, have a seat. I've got a few weird things to discuss with you.

RobertTheTexan
04-11-17, 13:53
Does an M16 in BCT count? If so, have a seat. I've got a few weird things to discuss with you.

Grabs popcorn.

RobertTheTexan
04-11-17, 13:56
That's just crazy talk.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm offended by his out of control craziness!!! I think he's about to just blow the M4C servers to smithereens.

Kain
04-11-17, 18:49
Maybe Mr. Screwdriver up there (Kain, that be you.) learned a little of that last lesson along with me. Lol

Hey now. It was a one time thing. Mostly. And it didn't involve a dremil tool! Ha! Which speaking of which, why hasn't anyone's stories involved dremil tools yet? We should have some good ones of that, or am I think about the gunsmithing thread? Lol.

Anyway, I have since learned well and good to use the proper tools. It is why I haven't messed around with working on upper receivers since I currently don't have a good solid bench to mount a vise too, tongue wrenches, and other things that I would want to do things PROPER!

But, one does need to learn somehow, and sometimes the best ways of doing that is to try. At least I didn't do like one guy and post pictures of a castle nut wrench stuck to his rifle, asking what was wrong since he couldn't remove it since he put the castle nut on backwards. I think that one might have escalated up to him actually calling the manufacturer before someone pointed out the nut was on backwards and had trapped the wrench because of it.

Diamondback
04-11-17, 19:12
Kain, good to know I'm not the only one stuck with only buying complete uppers for that reason...

Addition: Anybody else here ever use model-airplane supplies on an AR build? (Contour putty--think weak, thin Bondo--to fill in inappropriate "Auto" selector marks on a polymer blank, transparent-red spray-paint to add color to an engraving.)

Kain
04-11-17, 19:15
Kain, good to know I'm not the only one stuck with only buying complete uppers for that reason...

Addition: Anybody else here ever use model-airplane supplies on an AR build? (Contour putty--think weak, thin Bondo--to fill in inappropriate "Auto" selector marks on a polymer blank, transparent-red spray-paint to add color to an engraving.)

You're in good company regarding the uppers. Don't you worry.

As far as the model airplane supplies, the only thing I've ever used in that regard was paint for witness marks on optic and light mounts to ensure that nothing was working it's way loose.

RobertTheTexan
04-13-17, 00:10
Hey now. It was a one time thing. Mostly. And it didn't involve a dremil tool! Ha! Which speaking of which, why hasn't anyone's stories involved dremil tools yet? We should have some good ones of that, or am I think about the gunsmithing thread? Lol.

Anyway, I have since learned well and good to use the proper tools. It is why I haven't messed around with working on upper receivers since I currently don't have a good solid bench to mount a vise too, tongue wrenches, and other things that I would want to do things PROPER!

But, one does need to learn somehow, and sometimes the best ways of doing that is to try. At least I didn't do like one guy and post pictures of a castle nut wrench stuck to his rifle, asking what was wrong since he couldn't remove it since he put the castle nut on backwards. I think that one might have escalated up to him actually calling the manufacturer before someone pointed out the nut was on backwards and had trapped the wrench because of it.

Wow.... Now there is dumb and there is dumbass. I think he qualified for the latter. To be honest, I think there is some value in knowing how to repair/replace parts on your weapon using non-standard tools and maybe even parts. I don't encourage guys starting out to do that, but I do know that if you shoot enough you'll run into a situations where you need to make a field expedient repair and may not have the torque screwdriver or the exact right hex wrench. So I think it pays off on knowing how to deal with those weird situations.
I just had a small little shop built (with a lot of sweat equity in it.) I put in a long 10' work bench with 8' of peg board . I have enough room for a small mill and so I'm kinda debating that. Lord knows if I get a mill, I will be dicking up some shite left and right, but having fun doing it! In also looking for an industrial sewing machine, so I can start making some of my own kit, modding some existing stuff. Normally I send it it Tactical Tailors custom shop and they add my mods, but I'm ready to do my own stuff.
I should have taken my VA meds, I got way off topic.

sevenhelmet
04-13-17, 09:04
You're in good company regarding the uppers. Don't you worry.

As far as the model airplane supplies, the only thing I've ever used in that regard was paint for witness marks on optic and light mounts to ensure that nothing was working it's way loose.

I chipped the coating on a painted lower once when I was installing the trigger-guard roll pin. I used some Testors model paint to patch it, because it was on hand and convenient. Worked pretty well, it actually adhered better than the rattle-can stuff I used on the rest of the gun. #CoolStoryBro ;)

Diamondback
04-13-17, 12:40
To be honest, I think there is some value in knowing how to repair/replace parts on your weapon using non-standard tools and maybe even parts. I don't encourage guys starting out to do that, but I do know that if you shoot enough you'll run into a situations where you need to make a field expedient repair and may not have the torque screwdriver or the exact right hex wrench. So I think it pays off on knowing how to deal with those weird situations.
QFT. I think now that I know that I *could* cut a lower using only hand tools if I really had to, finishing this one waits until my little cordless box of goodies from Mr. DeWalt arrives. Any quick suggestions on a handheld drill that'll put a 3/8" hole through 1.25" of 7075-T6 aluminum and 7/16" through a similar thickness of plastic? (Since you mentioned tooling, I'm starting to stock mine--Porter-Cable PCE6435 router with 5D Tactical jig and mill bits for metal lowers, EP Armory jig and bits with a cordless for working polys.)

Kdubya
04-13-17, 18:09
At least I didn't do like one guy and post pictures of a castle nut wrench stuck to his rifle, asking what was wrong since he couldn't remove it since he put the castle nut on backwards. I think that one might have escalated up to him actually calling the manufacturer before someone pointed out the nut was on backwards and had trapped the wrench because of it.

Wait. He put the damn thing on wrench first??? That's beyond only being a gunsmithing fail.

RobertTheTexan
04-13-17, 20:11
QFT. I think now that I know that I *could* cut a lower using only hand tools if I really had to, finishing this one waits until my little cordless box of goodies from Mr. DeWalt arrives. Any quick suggestions on a handheld drill that'll put a 3/8" hole through 1.25" of 7075-T6 aluminum and 7/16" through a similar thickness of plastic? (Since you mentioned tooling, I'm starting to stock mine--Porter-Cable PCE6435 router with 5D Tactical jig and mill bits for metal lowers, EP Armory jig and bits with a cordless for working polys.)

I think any good 18vdc or so would handle it. My Rigid is just a beast. For heavy jobs I have a 1/2" drive. It doesn't have the higher RPM's but it has the torque.
I would recommend you having some drill oil on hand. No matter what drill, going through hat thick of metal is going to generate a lot of heat. Might pay to have your compressor handy, if not some cans of air. There is definitely a huge difference in milling a polymer lower vs 6061 or 7075.

What are you freehand drilling on your lower?

MistWolf
04-13-17, 20:27
I think any good 18vdc or so would handle it. My Rigid is just a beast. For heavy jobs I have a 1/2" drive. It doesn't have the higher RPM's but it has the torque.
I would recommend you having some drill oil on hand. No matter what drill, going through hat thick of metal is going to generate a lot of heat. Might pay to have your compressor handy, if not some cans of air. There is definitely a huge difference in milling a polymer lower vs 6061 or 7075.

Boelube

http://www.bing.com/search?q=boelube&qs=n&form=QBLH&sp=-1&pq=boelube&sc=5-7&sk=&cvid=22696EB260A94E44B3BDB51085A40137

Diamondback
04-13-17, 21:21
Already did the selector hole straight-across by hand power alone, slowly working two holes down through for the ends of the trigger slot. It's a little unconventional, but I'm doing things backward so that when I open up the FCG pocket the mill bit will debur the other holes automatically as part of removing material. (This is a "Zombie Green" EP Armory that was $20 on St Pat's Day sale, figured that if I was gonna screw up two or three learning how to do the work better to bugger El Cheapos than to mess up a good Tennessee Arms Liberator or a quality metal blank--and if any come out usable, Krylon is cheap or maybe I'll just use the can of OD Rustoleum I already have.)

Why am I freehanding? Because I can't set up a drill press due to lack of room and Butthurt Bitchy Neighbors who make noise complaints about every little thing imaginable, and because I want to make a Political Statement to the pinko Commie turds turning this place into Hellifornia Del Norte that no matter what they do us gunpeople will ALWAYS find a way to have that which they seek to unConstitutionally deny us.

Gunfixr
04-13-17, 22:22
It wasn't an AR, but once in the mountains in January, with close to a foot of snow, a guy couldn't get his sks to fire.
Bolt still full of cosmoline.
Took it apart with a large knife and a nail, IIRC, total disassembly, and boiled it all in some guys coffee pot, then put it back together with the same "tools".
It was a weekend outing.
Worked fine.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
04-13-17, 22:33
Already did the selector hole straight-across by hand power alone, slowly working two holes down through for the ends of the trigger slot. It's a little unconventional, but I'm doing things backward so that when I open up the FCG pocket the mill bit will debur the other holes automatically as part of removing material. (This is a "Zombie Green" EP Armory that was $20 on St Pat's Day sale, figured that if I was gonna screw up two or three learning how to do the work better to bugger El Cheapos than to mess up a good Tennessee Arms Liberator or a quality metal blank--and if any come out usable, Krylon is cheap or maybe I'll just use the can of OD Rustoleum I already have.)

Why am I freehanding? Because I can't set up a drill press due to lack of room and Butthurt Bitchy Neighbors who make noise complaints about every little thing imaginable, and because I want to make a Political Statement to the pinko Commie turds turning this place into Hellifornia Del Norte that no matter what they do us gunpeople will ALWAYS find a way to have that which they seek to unConstitutionally deny us.

You rebel you....

RobertTheTexan
04-13-17, 22:36
It wasn't an AR, but once in the mountains in January, with close to a foot of snow, a guy couldn't get his sks to fire.
Bolt still full of cosmoline.
Took it apart with a large knife and a nail, IIRC, total disassembly, and boiled it all in some guys coffee pot, then put it back together with the same "tools".
It was a weekend outing.
Worked fine.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Your round eye self name you gunfixr

From now we can you Gunbo, like Rambo but with gun.
Kimo Sabe?

(You have to say it like they used to make the white Indians talk in the old TV westerns.)

RobertTheTexan
04-13-17, 22:38

I did some polymers from TA as my "training lowers". But I was not happy with their jig, some holes where wobbly. I used a B.A drill press.

GallagherRayS
04-14-17, 01:47
My weirdest thing is currently in progress. I'm going to try and make an AR Pistol with 10.3" barrel, Maxim Defense Brace, and Fostech Echo trigger all play nice together. I do not have high hopes but am hedging my bets by using the heavy buffer.

I am fully aware that it will probably not work out which is why I have another build going for that Echo and an ACT on standby for the pistol. It should be fun to play with and try to get running though, and imagining it working makes me tingly inside hahaha.

-Ray