PDA

View Full Version : On pistol barrels: M9 vs others

Slater
09-25-08, 22:11
This is to somewhat piggyback on a previous topic about the M9. Regarding the M9's barrel, it's my understanding that this particular handgun has a chromed-lined barrel (as do the M9A1 and 90Two).

I've heard several folks opine that a chromed barrel really doesn't make that much of a difference on a pistol, and (as far as I know) SIG, Glock, Colt, and others don't use such a feature. I would imagine that it extends barrel life to some degree, however small.

Was Beretta given extra points for this feature during the original XM9 trials?

cathellsk
09-26-08, 00:21
I wouldn't call it extra points as its a military requirement. At least it was during the XM9 trials.

ToddG
09-26-08, 07:42
It depends, and it depends.

Depending on the steel, chrome lining the barrel can significantly improve its ability to withstand milspec corrosion testing.

Depending on the steel, chrome lining the barrel can significantly improve its durability in terms of high ( > 20,000) round count tests.

Chrome lining a barrel is a cost-intensive process involving hazardous materials. Most pistol manufactures no longer do their own finishing in-house, so chroming a barrel would be an additional vendor expense.

Beretta does not (or at least did not, as of '02) chrome line its stainless steel barrels.

Glock, with its tenifer & polygonal rifling, certainly manages to achieve substantial corrosion resistance and longevity in its barrels without relying on chrome lining.

When SIG created an improved version of the P220 to meet the moving target of the SOCOM45/JCP specification, it chose to chrome line the P220 barrel for better performance in the corrosion and durability tests.

markm
09-26-08, 09:27
Everything should be chrome lined. Gun related or not.