PDA

View Full Version : BCM or Aero upper?

Krp7894
04-10-17, 21:05
Hey all
Back again this time trying to debate what to choose as my upper on my current build. The lower is done minus the buffer tube and stock which is on its way. The only reason I wanted to go with Aero for the upper Jan because the M4E1 upper is designed to fit flawlessly with any of their handguards and if I decided to I wanted to put the quad rail in FDE to match my stock and grip. However I am going with the BCM bcg as well as the gunfighter charging handle and BCM chrome lined M4 barrel. BCM is obviously the better company and I think they only make the keymod hand guards and I guess I could just get FDE rail adapters for the hand guards for accessories. But what do you guys think?

RHINOWSO
04-10-17, 21:23
I have 2 complete BCM uppers and 1 complete AP upper.

I only bought the Aero to match an Aero lower, plus I got the Aero Midlength 16" upper / FSB, BCG, and CH for <$350 shipped on a great sale

I like the Aero but it's really just a basic rifle and for training / serious work the BCMs do it for me.

Plus I had an issue with the AP lower (uber tight magwell) that they resolved, sort of - it's still tight, just not as tight as it was. Kind left a meh taste for me when it comes to AP, but when the mags fit the rifle worked fine for function and general accuracy.

Krp7894
04-10-17, 21:43
Yeah the more I think about it the more I think I want a full BCM upper. I'm also considering getting a mid length barrel and gas system since I already have a carbine length rifle. Would a 12" free float hand guard suffice?

Rogue556
04-10-17, 22:30
BCM is obviously the better company

You answered your own question right here. BCM all week and twice on Sunday, especially considering the options.

Krp7894
04-11-17, 05:34
You answered your own question right here. BCM all week and twice on Sunday, especially considering the options.

I agree I was just factoring Aeros pricing into the decision and wondering how good their parts are. I do like BCMs new lightweight keymod Handguard but I'm having a hard time figuring out what size to get for a 16" mid length barrel.

Tigereye
04-11-17, 06:44
Here you go. https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-ENHANCED-Light-Weight-Upp-p/bcm-urg-mid-16-bfh-elw-kmr-a15.htm
I have this one with the 15" KMR not the Alpha but I would get the Alpha today and save a few dollars. 13" or 15" is probably personal preference.

RHINOWSO
04-11-17, 07:28
I have the 13" KMR-A with the 16" Midlength Enhanced Lightweight Barrel. It's great.

Bomba07
04-11-17, 07:59
Nothing wrong with Aero, but between the two I would get the BCM. Their KMRs are awesome.

tehpwnag3
04-11-17, 08:11
I own 3 complete BCM uppers and they are great. Look out for BCG bundle deals from them as well. IIRC, I got two for like $69 each. Ridiculous value.

SiGfever
04-11-17, 15:43
BCM, buy a complete upper and you will not be disappointed. My 14.5" ELW w/13"KMR is one sweet shooting rifle, plus it is stupid light. Plus mine came with a free BCG.

Krp7894
04-11-17, 16:29
I'd love to go with the 14.5" but SBRs are illegal in NY without a tax stamp I think. Although I am a LEO it's still a pain for me to get. I would much rather get the BCM complete uppers but for the sake of saving money I may wait to get a BCM upper once they're available again and put a BCG, charging handle, and barrel from BCM and just get one of the Aero handguards. Decisions, decisions. I think I can get a stripped upper easily and just piece add the dust cover and foreword assist myself. How much worse could that be than assembling a lower?

mballz23
04-11-17, 16:40
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/777cf275d9aa4f57d95e9ce8d23831c3.jpg

My 16" BCM with a 13" KMR.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/b856db003be00a0c3a9413a1b80e993f.jpg

A buddy's 16" BCM with a 15" KMR. Don't pay attention to his safety[emoji23]

There's a comparison for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaLEOjd
04-11-17, 16:40
It doesn't matter where you are, SBR's need a stamp. It wouldn't be any more difficult for you than it is for anybody else to own a SBR.

Pappabear
04-11-17, 17:55
you could buy brand x and get brand x quality. One tight magwell that had to be sent in with this very small population of readers. Just save your money and don't buy cheap parts and you will not regret it. plane and simple. Save , wait an extra month or two if you need because you will never love it like you will a BCM, Colt , LMT , DD caliber gear.

The complete uppers by BCM are hard to beat in price and if they have problems, BCM will take care of you.

Any manufacture can have problems, but its much less likely and you will cherish that killer rig.

PB

Krp7894
04-11-17, 18:01
you could buy brand x and get brand x quality. One tight magwell that had to be sent in with this very small population of readers. Just save your money and don't buy cheap parts and you will not regret it. plane and simple. Save , wait an extra month or two if you need because you will never love it like you will a BCM, Colt , LMT , DD caliber gear.

The complete uppers by BCM are hard to beat in price and if they have problems, BCM will take care of you.

Any manufacture can have problems, but its much less likely and you will cherish that killer rig.

PB

I think I may wait. For now I don't see the BCG coming free with the complete upper. If that comes back I'll jump. If I bought BCM parts without getting the complete upper do they still cover it all?

Pappabear
04-11-17, 18:20
I think I may wait. For now I don't see the BCG coming free with the complete upper. If that comes back I'll jump. If I bought BCM parts without getting the complete upper do they still cover it all?

Hard to say, but with great probability they will help you if you bought all BCM stuff. They might not be obligated to, but they have been known to go over and beyond their requirement to help people. More important, you will less likely need them.

Good luck.

mballz23
04-11-17, 21:26

Don't hold your breath on that one. I got my upper with the free BCG. That was in 2014. I haven't seen it since otherwise I'd have picked up a 11.5 by now

JB2000
04-11-17, 21:34
If you go with the 14.5" barrel with a permanently installed BCM Mod 1 comp it will be above the legal requirement of 16".

Krp7894
04-11-17, 21:39
If you go with the 14.5" barrel with a permanently installed BCM Mod 1 comp it will be above the legal requirement of 16".

Now that could be a possibility then. Wouldn't mind a short rifle. What makes it permanent and, well, how would the ATF know?

mballz23
04-11-17, 21:43
Now that could be a possibility then. Wouldn't mind a short rifle. What makes it permanent and, well, how would the ATF know?

The muzzle device being pinned and welded would make it a permanent attachment to the barrel therefore allowing it to be part of the overall barrel length. They wouldn't unless you were at a range and an ATF agent decided to inquire because he was there too. Or if you admit it online, i.e. here and mr. Gov. notices and decides to knock on your door. Better to be safe than sorry. Especially since you said you're a LEO.

Krp7894
04-11-17, 22:53
The muzzle device being pinned and welded would make it a permanent attachment to the barrel therefore allowing it to be part of the overall barrel length. They wouldn't unless you were at a range and an ATF agent decided to inquire because he was there too. Or if you admit it online, i.e. here and mr. Gov. notices and decides to knock on your door. Better to be safe than sorry. Especially since you said you're a LEO.

Nah I wouldn't. In my lower I have an H2 buffer, would that be too heavy for a 14.5" mid length barrel? If it helps I shoot American eagle 5.56 typically which is 55 grains.

Kenneth
04-12-17, 00:13
I run an H2 in a DD 14.5.

I have shot all kinds of ammo without any problems.

I'm currently researching going to an A5 system with a A5H2.

mballz23
04-12-17, 00:33
Nah I wouldn't. In my lower I have an H2 buffer, would that be too heavy for a 14.5" mid length barrel? If it helps I shoot American eagle 5.56 typically which is 55 grains.

Wellllllll common advise is H. But you'd be able to get away with it. 14.5 mids can be finicky. That is enough dwell time with a BCM 14.5 mid, it's a .750 gas port, but you might get some odd ejections. I'd run a H, and throw that H2 in the spare parts bin. H2 is the heaviest I've shot in a 14.5 mid, and it functioned just fine just some weird ejections. Never hiccuped but it was almost like it was short stroking. Throwing brass pretty far back. But it never failed to feed so I don't know. My buddy went back to a H.

Kenneth
04-12-17, 02:27
Wellllllll common advise is H. But you'd be able to get away with it. 14.5 mids can be finicky. That is enough dwell time with a BCM 14.5 mid, it's a .750 gas port, but you might get some odd ejections. I'd run a H, and throw that H2 in the spare parts bin. H2 is the heaviest I've shot in a 14.5 mid, and it functioned just fine just some weird ejections. Never hiccuped but it was almost like it was short stroking. Throwing brass pretty far back. But it never failed to feed so I don't know. My buddy went back to a H.

I wonder what an A5 setup would do for recoil over the H2 in running.

I also wonder what buffer I could get away with.

A5H0
A5H1
A5H2

mballz23
04-12-17, 02:35

A5H0
A5H1
A5H2

My guess would be a A5H0

PM Robert, Robert the Texan, I'm pretty sure he runs all A5s

Krp7894
04-12-17, 05:44
How would a carbine length 14.5" barrel or a mid length 16" fair with the H2 buffer?

mballz23
04-12-17, 05:45
How would a carbine length 14.5" barrel or a mid length 16" fair with the H2 buffer?

Good. I run a H2 in my midlength 16". Good ejection pattern.

Bomba07
04-12-17, 08:03
I'd love to go with the 14.5" but SBRs are illegal in NY without a tax stamp I think. Although I am a LEO it's still a pain for me to get. I would much rather get the BCM complete uppers but for the sake of saving money I may wait to get a BCM upper once they're available again and put a BCG, charging handle, and barrel from BCM and just get one of the Aero handguards. Decisions, decisions. I think I can get a stripped upper easily and just piece add the dust cover and foreword assist myself. How much worse could that be than assembling a lower?

Assembling an upper is really easy. You might even save a couple bucks too!

tehpwnag3
04-12-17, 08:41
I would venture to guess that all of those buffers would work for you. If running 5.56 spec ammo exclusively, go with A5H3. Unless you tuned your gas port, I'd probably stay away from H0.

A5H0
A5H1
A5H2

tehpwnag3
04-12-17, 08:45
Assembling an upper is actually easy, but it has to be done correctly. Also, finding a good barrel that has a pinned gas block, for me, is a must. If you were going to cobble together upper parts from BCM (including the barrel), you would have to have a GB pinned by someone like ADCO. You'll save money just going with a complete upper.

556BlackRifle
04-12-17, 10:31
The Vltor A5 kit comes with the spring and an A5-H2 buffer. In my experience, it's worked most of the time with M193 Ball and is a great starting point. If your rifle is over gassed then an H3 with a Springco Green Rifle action spring is a good option.

Krp7894
04-12-17, 14:01
So I think I'm going with this BCM mid length upper setup.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-16-Mid-Length-ENHANCED-Light-Weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16elw-kmr-a-13.htm

Just under $600. My lower is complete so all I'd need are sights, the BCG, and charging handle. My lower is a spikes lower with enhanced LPK, spikes 6 pos buffer tube and ST2 buffer tube. That should be OK with the mid length system right?

tehpwnag3
04-12-17, 14:09
Good choice and it should be fine.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-16-Mid-Length-ENHANCED-Light-Weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16elw-kmr-a-13.htm

Just under $600. My lower is complete so all I'd need are sights, the BCG, and charging handle. My lower is a spikes lower with enhanced LPK, spikes 6 pos buffer tube and ST2 buffer tube. That should be OK with the mid length system right?

mballz23
04-12-17, 15:43
I would venture to guess that all of those buffers would work for you. If running 5.56 spec ammo exclusively, go with A5H3. Unless you tuned your gas port, I'd probably stay away from H0.

The Vltor A5 kit comes with the spring and an A5-H2 buffer. In my experience, it's worked most of the time with M193 Ball and is a great starting point. If your rifle is over gassed then an H3 with a Springco Green Rifle action spring is a good option.

Even in a 14.5 mid-length? Wouldn't a A5 system with a A5H2 in it cause short strokes since a A5H2 weighs 5.33oz. A standard ("std" from here on) H2 weighs 4.6oz, more in line with a A5H1 buffer. If a std H2 buffer in a 14.5 mid, ejects like it's short stroking, and a std H3 would cause a short stroke (fail to eject or fail to feed) in a 14.5 mid, wouldn't a A5H2, which weighs almost the same as a std H3 (5.4oz) cause short strokes too?

SiGfever
04-12-17, 16:14

Take a look at this model, great URG with a cold hammer forged barrel and a 15" KMR-Alpha handguard. My son-in-law just bought one and it is one fine shooting rifle.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-ENHANCED-Light-Weight-Upp-p/bcm-urg-mid-16-bfh-elw-kmr-a15.htm

tehpwnag3
04-12-17, 16:19
Generally speaking, it been my experience that the A5 is more forgiving, and if an GI H2 runs then the A5H2 will run better. It's not exactly apples to apples in regard to buffer weight because the spring rates of the two systems are not the same. However, if your 14.5" mid with H1 is ejecting at about 4 o'clock with 5.56, you might want to start with an A5H1 (even though I would bet the A5H2 would run just fine).

Even in a 14.5 mid-length? Wouldn't a A5 system with a A5H2 in it cause short strokes since a A5H2 weighs 5.33oz. A std H2 weighs 4.6oz, more in line with a A5H1 buffer. If a std H2 buffer in a 14.5 mid, ejects like its short stroking, and a std H3 would cause a short stroke in a 14.5 mid, wouldn't a A5H2, which weighs almost the same as a std H3 (5.4oz) cause short strokes too?

Kenneth
04-12-17, 16:23
Generally speaking, it been my experience that the A5 is more forgiving, and if an GI H2 runs then the A5H2 will run better. It's not exactly apples to apples in regard to buffer weight because the spring rates of the two systems are not the same. However, if your 14.5" mid with H1 is ejecting at about 4 o'clock with 5.56, you might want to start with an A5H1 (even though I would bet the A5H2 would run just fine).

My 14.5 ejects about 3:30 - 4:00 with a carbine H2.

I could set a bucket there and most of them will land in the bucket. It will eject them all in a small pile.

mballz23
04-12-17, 16:26

Ah okay I see, thanks for the clarification.

tehpwnag3
04-12-17, 16:32
Then (to sorta confirm your earlier post) the standard A5 kit should work very well for you.

My 14.5 ejects about 3:30 - 4:00 with a carbine H2.

I could set a bucket there and most of them will land in the bucket. It will eject them all in a small pile.

tehpwnag3
04-12-17, 16:35
You betcha. I'll add that reliability is paramount, so starting light and working your way up to account for varied temps, dirty action, lack of lube, etc. is probably best.

Ah okay I see, thanks for the clarification.

556BlackRifle
04-12-17, 18:08
Even in a 14.5 mid-length? Wouldn't a A5 system with a A5H2 in it cause short strokes since a A5H2 weighs 5.33oz. A standard ("std" from here on) H2 weighs 4.6oz, more in line with a A5H1 buffer. If a std H2 buffer in a 14.5 mid, ejects like it's short stroking, and a std H3 would cause a short stroke (fail to eject or fail to feed) in a 14.5 mid, wouldn't a A5H2, which weighs almost the same as a std H3 (5.4oz) cause short strokes too?

As I said, in my experience it's a great starting point. You may need to tune it up or down or you may not need to at all. It depends largely on gas port size and the ammo that you're shooting. As others have mentioned, the A5 system is very forgiving. (One size fits all doesn't always work out perfectly. :) )

titsonritz
04-12-17, 18:18
My BCM 14.5" mld-length runs fine with an A5A2 buffer, but all I shoot is 556.

Krp7894
04-12-17, 18:42
Not to get off topic but here are some pics of my completed lower. I even staked the castle nut using a ball peen hammer and center punch. How did I do? It's the Spikes Punisher lower, spikes 6 pos stock with ST2 buffer, spikes enhanced Lpk, and Magpul SL stock.

pag23
04-12-17, 19:37
Is this a duty gun or personal?

Oops.. I forgot the SAFE Act doesn't apply to active LE

Krp7894
04-12-17, 19:39
Is this a duty gun or personal?

Oops.. I forgot the SAFE Act doesn't apply to active LE

Just personal. It'll be my 3rd AR and my first build. I currently just have my LE6920 as I also had an M&P15 but sold that.

pag23
04-12-17, 19:43
I would just get the BCM 16 inch Midlength...old reliable!

Krp7894
04-12-17, 19:52
I would just get the BCM 16 inch Midlength...old reliable!

Plan to. My only final concern is how it would fit this lower. I tested out my Colt upper and it's not as snug a fit and it's a bit wobbly. Also the markings on the upper and lower don't match up.

pag23
04-12-17, 19:56
The gun is a tool... Get an Accuwedge if the wobble bothers you.... The AR I lost in a MidAtlantic boating accident was a BCM upper and lower bought separately had a slight wobble but performed flawlessly....now she lays at the bottom of the sea...:shout:

Krp7894
04-12-17, 19:59
The gun is a tool... Get an Accuwedge if the wobble bothers you.... The AR I lost in a MidAtlantic boating accident was a BCM upper and lower bought separately had a slight wobble but performed flawlessly....now she lays at the bottom of the sea...:shout:

Damn. Sorry to hear that.

pag23
04-12-17, 20:16
Damn. Sorry to hear that.

You know I am kidding.....lol

tehpwnag3
04-13-17, 08:06
Some pairings fit tight, some loose, some not at all (somewhat rare).

Plan to. My only final concern is how it would fit this lower. I tested out my Colt upper and it's not as snug a fit and it's a bit wobbly. Also the markings on the upper and lower don't match up.

Bomba07
04-13-17, 08:13

I have a BCM lower that I paired with a BCM upper. There was some wobble, but it wasn't terrible. I know where you're coming from though, lower and upper wobble bothers me a little bit even though most ARs out there have it.

Bomba07
04-13-17, 08:23
Some pairings fit tight, some loose, some not at all (somewhat rare).

I just bought a stripped noveske upper to match my noveske lower and that MFer had to be hammered into the lower in order to seat properly. After opening/closing it about 10 times and applying some oil it fits perfectly.

mtlung87
04-18-17, 20:11
Tough to beat the BCM name.

hdrolling
04-21-17, 20:09
I just ordered a complete BCM Standard 16" Mid Length (ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ BCM KMR-*ALPHA* 15" Handguard, added the BCG and ambi charging handle as well. This will go on my complete BCM lower that I had on my DD, picked up a DD lower last week so now I'll have the correct uppers matching the lowers.

I tried to price BCM parts to build a BCM upper and everywhere I looked the cost to build still ended up being more than just buying complete from BCM.

tehpwnag3
04-21-17, 21:36
Smart move.

Noveske Tiger
04-22-17, 18:31
BCM for me. Love the KMR