PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Scopes for 3-Gun

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-11-17, 00:38
So it seems the way to go is the 1-X scopes, but I'm behind the times on the current offerings. Haven't shot 3-gun in about 4 years because of kids. When I bought my CQBSS, it was about the only one out there and the S&B and others were vaporware. A few years later and it seems like everyone has one. Not looking to replicate the CQBSS, but looking for one for a scope to get my son into 3-gun. The range-blocker has become my range-ticket. Anyone care to handicap the scopes out there? I'm assuming FFP, 1-6 at least, Daylight reticle with out breaking the bank. I have a BCM SS 16inch Middy upper and parts kit and a lower that I'm going to work with him to get a gun going.

Kenneth
04-11-17, 03:59
Strike eagle 1-6
Primary arms 1-6
Strike eagle 1-8
Viper PST Gen II 1-6
Razor GenII 1-6

Those are pretty much the choices depending on how much money you want to spend. Farther you go down the list the more money it's gonna cost.

The top three are all about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Failure2Stop
04-11-17, 08:31
Daylight bright is not necessarily essential, depends on reticle. Some reticles do need high illumination to be fast on target, some have bold reticles that need no illumination.

Swarovski Z6i BRT is still great.
Kahles K16i SM1 or G4B are solid
Razor Gen 2 JM-1
Leupold VX6 FireDot BDC
Leupold Mk6 CMR-W

Tuukka
04-12-17, 08:30
Daylight bright is not necessarily essential, depends on reticle. Some reticles do need high illumination to be fast on target, some have bold reticles that need no illumination.

Swarovski Z6i BRT is still great.
Kahles K16i SM1 or G4B are solid
Razor Gen 2 JM-1
Leupold VX6 FireDot BDC
Leupold Mk6 CMR-W

The Z6i has been the main choice for top IPSC rifle shooters here in Europe. One not on the list is the Zeiss V8.

I used the K16i with the G4 B reticle for several seasons in national and international level matches.

The only reason it is not on my AR anymore, is the Z8i with BRT-I reticle, which is everything that the Z6i / Kahles K16i were and more ;)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Treeni_.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/swaro.jpg

I am sure the Z8i will be also prominent at the upcoming IPSC Rifle World Shoot in Russia in June.

zzhawk
04-12-17, 09:03
The Vortex Razor HD 1-6 is very popular in our matches. The guys that run this scope love it.

If you need a little more magnification, one of the best kept secrets in my opinion is the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8.

Both scopes have clear glass, have huge eye-boxes, and are daylight bright if you find that necessary. Both scopes are built like tanks, but are also are heavy. The Primary Arms offers the ACSS reticle, if that is your thing. People tend to love it or hate it.

There are a lot of good suggestions so far in this thread. One thing to note, there is a big difference between a premium scope, and a budget scope - especially when it comes to eye box.

Pic of me with the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8 in action:

Kenneth
04-12-17, 12:46
Some of you missed "without breaking the bank" statement lol.

It's like anything OP how much money do you want to spend?

That's why I listed the "cheaper" options first. There are tons of guys running the mid range 1-6's without any issue.

The glass won't be as clear but it will work for what you need. Then later on you can upgrade if your looking for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-12-17, 14:58
Pretty much not CQBSS money... that was a 'one and done'.

Seems like going to $1300 gets a pretty good range of scopes- but I'm not afraid of too much lower or used scopes. I like daylight bright because we basically have sandy/clay soil and twigs for landscape and my TMR CQBSS gets a little ill-defined at times as reticle and scrub brush merge.

Tuukka
04-13-17, 02:45
Pretty much not CQBSS money... that was a 'one and done'.

Seems like going to $1300 gets a pretty good range of scopes- but I'm not afraid of too much lower or used scopes. I like daylight bright because we basically have sandy/clay soil and twigs for landscape and my TMR CQBSS gets a little ill-defined at times as reticle and scrub brush merge.

IIRC someone mentioned here in the optics forum that the Kahles can be had at $1800, of all the options listed here, for that money I would jump on that.

jstalford
04-13-17, 11:10
For "not breaking the bank, I would check out the

Burris XTR II 1-5
Vortex PST II 1-6
Leupold VX6 1-6 Firedot

Otherwise, if you want to really just get a cheap optic, get a strike eagle and upgrade later if you feel like it.

ETA: I started typing this before you mentioned budget could be like $1300.

For that money you could get a second hand Vortex Razor HD II and a mount or a second hand Leupold MK6.

I have also seen the Kahles as cheap as $17xx with a mount, so you could do that as well. Any of those options will be "one and done" quality but still significantly cheaper than the CQBSS.

gunnerblue
04-13-17, 12:46
For around $1300 I see lots of Vortex Razor 1-6 and Leupold VX-6 at our matches. I run a USO SR4C and have been looking hard at the Accupower 1-8

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-19-17, 16:53
Anyone play with the Trijicon Accupower 1-8?

Every time I hear "Strike Eagle" I think of the Top Gear episode with the 'Thrust Eagle' POS hybrid car that almost killed them.

ExplorinInTheWoods
04-22-17, 15:46
I have run 2 different Trijicon TR24's and I love them one is a green triangle and the other green german crosshairs, they are light daylight bright, clear glass and durable. I have also ran my VCOG which has a great reticle, glass, and you won't break it but is not that bright. my buddy has two TR25's and he loves them. I just got the 1-8 Accupower in red MOA and it is daylight bright. I personally love Trijicon products and that's what I promote. I believe in good glass, I use it on my work gun, my race guns and my go bag guns. I would look hard into the TR25 with a triangle or moa/mil dot. Lightweight can be had for under 1k on gunbroker and they are durable and bright. I know people love the Vortex Razor but for the weight and price get the Accupower 1-8. Red is for sure bright, green is iffy. I don't like how small the razor dot is. People say it's bright and I looke through my friends and it's bright I think.....sort..... the dot is just so small it doesn't draw your eye to the center like my trijicon stuf does

carbine357
04-30-17, 13:27
why do ur shoots seem to mount the smaller red dot on the LEFT instead of the right??
unless they are left handed
i have seen it done in the military but have tried it and it is not for me. the reason i ask is i have an old mans bi focals and astigmitism
and i am looking for a better "mouse trap"

tia
357 carbine

Jesse Tischauser
05-01-17, 00:14
The scope that best fits your needs is the vortex viper pst gen ii if you can find one.

mack7.62
05-01-17, 08:12
why do ur shoots seem to mount the smaller red dot on the LEFT instead of the right??
unless they are left handed
i have seen it done in the military but have tried it and it is not for me. the reason i ask is i have an old mans bi focals and astigmitism
and i am looking for a better "mouse trap"

tia
357 carbine

Yeah I noticed that, I am wondering if he is using his left eye if going to the RDS?

ExplorinInTheWoods
05-02-17, 16:43
Anyone play with the Trijicon Accupower 1-8?

Every time I hear "Strike Eagle" I think of the Top Gear episode with the 'Thrust Eagle' POS hybrid car that almost killed them.

1-8 is ice

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-02-17, 18:51
1-8 is ice

I've been chilling since Friday ;).

Got a green one, going to take it to a match this weekend.

Tuukka
05-23-17, 05:22
Having now used the Z8i 1-8x for some time, I can honestly say it has made a difference compared to a 1-6x scope.

Off hand shooting at 17 c, / 6.6" plates at 100 meters is very doable with the scope ( the new comp I am using and the aluminium bolt carrier of course being a part of this combo )

Best strings range c. 3.3 - 3.8 seconds from the beep for 3 shots/hits.

If I mess up, then the times are in the 5-8 second range with 4-7 shots usually.

So I would say the biggest diffence is the improved ability for off hand shooting at longer distances and not compromising anything in other shooting types ( low magnification, closer targets, shooting on the move etc )

Tuukka
07-19-17, 06:17
Here is how the first IPSC Rifle World Shoot looked like with the Swaro / T1 combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDM1z5RsscM

CRT2
07-19-17, 06:30
May want to rethink the FFP. As an example, the Vortex Razor HD GEN II 1-6 is second focal plane.

Jesse Tischauser
07-23-17, 20:27
May want to rethink the FFP. As an example, the Vortex Razor HD GEN II 1-6 is second focal plane.

You are correct 99% of 3-gunners use second focal plane scopes.

everready73
08-04-17, 19:31
Don't think the stiener p4xi has been mentioned yet. I don't own one, but have read a lot of positive things. It's a 1-4 and has daylight bright reticle for sound 500

mgrs
10-27-17, 23:08
Don't think the stiener p4xi has been mentioned yet. I don't own one, but have read a lot of positive things. It's a 1-4 and has daylight bright reticle for sound 500

It is a lot of scope for the money. You usually get a decent throw lever with it as well. Pretty much the only <$500 low power variable worth owning I think. If I was buying a scope to get someone into the sport, that would be it.

For the rest, Kahles and Swarovski are kings of the hill. Had a Kahles K16 and a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 for a while, and found the K16 much better for this use and kept it around. The Vortex Razor is excellent, but heavy and the zoom ring is very stiff.

Would like to try the newer Trijicon Accupower 1-8. Looks like sensible reticle options with decent illum that at the same time don't require illumination to be useful.

Jesse Tischauser
10-28-17, 09:41
If I was shooting my first match next weekend I would start with the Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24 or the or the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24.