PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi Power premature slide lock / won't return to battery

noonesshowmonkey
04-12-17, 09:34
Fellas,

I'd picked up an Israeli surplus FN Hi Power (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?194709-Current-Browning-FN-Hi-Power), and it's been a fun project.

Currently, I am trying to diagnose a problem. The slide stop prematurely locks into the up position, locking the slide on a charged magazine. I am attributing this to my high-tang, thumbs-forward grip. However, the behavior is still exhibited when firing single handed, and is also present with other shooters, so it appears as though it is just a 'feature' of this particular pistol.

Since getting it, I have:
- stripped it to the frame twice, giving it a thorough cleaning
- purchased an additional two MecGar 15 round magazines (which also produce the same behavior, meaning that the failure is magazine-independent)
- replaced the main hammer spring with a 26 lb. spring (shipped with a 32, original P35s had a 26)
- replaced the recoil spring with an 18.5 lb spring (up from a 17 lb stock spring)
- replaced the extractor spring

Additionally, I have been going at the slide stop arm that impinges against the magazine follower with 180-320 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and 600/1000 grit stones, taking down some material in an effort to get the slide stop arm to not run as close to the rounds coming off of the magazine follower. I can't quite tell if the amount that I've taken off is enough--the behavior still exists, despite my most recent visit to the range with sandpaper--and I am a bit nervous about taking off too much material overall.

I am thinking that I'll replace the recoil spring guide rod (which has a small spring-loaded ball bearing that bears against the slide stop, and maybe provides tension to keep it in the 'down' position?), return to a 17 lb recoil spring, and maybe get a new slide stop? Basically, if I replace all of the parts associated with the behavior, maybe it'll clear up?

Unfortunately, Numrich just dried up of the $30 recoil spring guides. I'd had one in my cart maybe two weeks ago, but didn't buy it. What a moron I was! Between the recoil spring guide and the slide stop, I'm looking at ~$100 in parts in an attempt to fix this. All without knowing if that will even do it.

Any gunsmiths / armorers / BHP aficionados out there that can lend a hand with this one?

Andrewsky
04-12-17, 10:13
Keep filing until it works. That is actually the correct procedure.

gaijin
04-12-17, 10:28
You shooting ball/FMJ? It seems to be a bigger offender than JHP with this issue- due to profile of, and length of nose.

Take the slide off frame. Reinsert slidestop.
Stick a loaded magazine in the frame. With magnification and strong lighting- observe where the ogive of bullet is in relation to the slidestop shelf (that engages follower to lock back slide).
Does the SS touch/"kiss" the bullet? If so, remove material from the SS shelf until there is adequate clearance (.010-.015").

noonesshowmonkey
04-12-17, 11:12
Thanks for the reassurance that I was on the right track.

After getting a bit more aggressive with the 180 grit sandpaper, I have taken down enough material that there is ample clearance from the slide stop arm and the incoming round off of the follower. I've only been shooting this pistol with FMJ/ball target ammo, and as gaijin pointed out, it is a bit fatty and long in the nose as compared to most JHPs.

The result is quite a bit more clearance than when I started. At first, the slide stop was definitely 'kissing' the round, and now there's at least .015" clearance. If anything, I may have taken off too much, and now the slide won't reliable lock back on a Browning 13 round magazine (they have a much narrower follower than the MecGars) when hand cycling. Who cares. It locks up like a vise on the MecGar 15 rounders, and if anything, I'll just grab a couple more of those and/or replace the Browning follower with a MecGar one.

gaijin
04-12-17, 11:22
Great, glad you sorted it out.
This is a fairly common issue with both the P-35 and 1911.
Fix is same for both.

FWIW; I use the 15 RD Mecgars exclusively, with their 20 rounder as reload.
Pity they are apparently no longer produced.

Enjoy your BHP.

noonesshowmonkey
04-12-17, 11:28
Great, glad you sorted it out.
This is a fairly common issue with both the P-35 and 1911.
Fix is same for both.

This is my first of the John Moses Browning designs that I own personally. My grandfather's National Match 1911 was too finicky for my tastes, and I've just kept with whatever I've been issued. We'll see how well the filing I did on the slide stop arm works out. Hopefully, this solves the problem. I'm planning on sending the firearm off to get QPQ melonited, and need to get it running 100% before bothering with a refinish.

FWIW; I use the 15 RD Mecgars exclusively, with their 20 rounder as reload. Pity they are apparently no longer produced.

Yeah, with a company as good as MecGar making 15 rounders, why even bother with the 13s? If they are no longer in production, I guess I'll have to grab a couple more sooner rather than later. Thanks for the heads up.

gaijin
04-12-17, 11:34
Was referring to the 20's, not the 15's- they're still in production.

And by all means get it running 100% and make any and all mods before Melonite (or Hard Chrome).
It's next to, if not impossible to alter a gun with either finish.

Dienekes
04-12-17, 19:42
Late to the party. I have one of the Mk. III Israelis, plus a couple of other BHPs. Your fix sounds right. Brownell's has some BHP parts, and I hear that going direct to Browning (USA) is a good source for reasonably priced parts. Good guns.

BTW Steve Camp's book on BHPs is excellent. Available here: http://hipowersandhandguns.com/Products5.html

gaijin
04-12-17, 20:24
Browning USA is much cheaper than Brownells for BHP parts, IF they have them stock.

notorious_ar15
04-13-17, 21:14
Fellas,
I am thinking that I'll replace the recoil spring guide rod (which has a small spring-loaded ball bearing that bears against the slide stop, and maybe provides tension to keep it in the 'down' position...

I had the same issue of the slide locking back prematurely on a surplus BHP (ordered new 13rd. mags, different ammo, etc.)

Replacing the recoil spring guide, which you describe above, fixed the problem. I ordered straight from Browning. Part was out of stock & it took about three months to arrive, but in the end it was totally worth it.

HTH

Gunfixr
04-13-17, 22:26
Yes, the ball in the recoil spring guide does keep the slide lock down.
But, rounds catching the stop as they come up will override the detent ball.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Yooperboy
04-14-17, 01:21
My question is why are you filing so hard on a proven hammer gun? 9 chances out of 10 it's something so simple. I have one and would never resort to the stuff you have been doing unless it was zombie apocalypse shit! Generally is something simple. It's not a colt yo! It's a original! Simple kiss stuff! Replacing stuff gets really expensive!

zachsm
04-14-17, 03:07
Yeah, with a company as good as MecGar making 15 rounders, why even bother with the 13s? If they are no longer in production, I guess I'll have to grab a couple more sooner rather than later. Thanks for the heads up.

Most people often recommend the 13 round over the 15 round magazines. I have never had an issue with a 13, but I never could get a 15 round magazine to lock back consistently. I never had an issue with function with either. I still have one left that I have shot maybe 2 full magazines through; if you're interested in a trade for a 15 for your 13, let me know.

Yooperboy
04-14-17, 05:23
Clean clip n break it down! If not just bad juju". Clip feed = loves it when people
Ramp ok u good to go. Rest is clip retention. If cycles bad after first bang, bad recoil spring. Re place.

Yooperboy
04-14-17, 05:43
It worked well before u got it yes" how many parts in make? Get new springs n quit grinding shit! Ah an arggg
I hate this stuff. Please stop grinding to make it work

40Arpent
04-15-17, 19:05
My question is why are you filing so hard on a proven hammer gun? 9 chances out of 10 it's something so simple. I have one and would never resort to the stuff you have been doing unless it was zombie apocalypse shit! Generally is something simple. It's not a colt yo! It's a original! Simple kiss stuff! Replacing stuff gets really expensive!

Clean clip n break it down! If not just bad juju". Clip feed = loves it when people
Ramp ok u good to go. Rest is clip retention. If cycles bad after first bang, bad recoil spring. Re place.

It worked well before u got it yes" how many parts in make? Get new springs n quit grinding shit! Ah an arggg
I hate this stuff. Please stop grinding to make it work

BARFcom reject?

26 Inf
04-15-17, 21:30
BARFcom reject?

No, I think so far North in Michigan he may as well be a Canadian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci4R6SdWht8

Yooperboy
04-19-17, 04:48
BARFcom reject?
Argggg . I ran into a similar problem with a lama single action yooo know. It was at a wrong ramp angle with a weak action spring. Stuff runs like crappola in da far north. It wasn't cycling fast enough. Just a thought boys, it works fine now ya betchya.

Yooperboy
04-19-17, 04:49
Love dat video ! Reminds me of home and Red Green. Lol.