PDA

View Full Version : OPM Selling contact information?

Digital_Damage
04-12-17, 12:13
Recently hit GS14 step 10, now I have been getting flooded with mail from car dealers thanking me for my service and offering active duty discounts... even tho I'm CIV and technically a contractor.

Only thing I can thing of is OPM is selling my details... WTF. anyone else having this issue?

dwhitehorne
04-12-17, 13:51
OPM I doubt it. Remember the Chinese got all of our background info a few years ago so who knows who has our info. My G phone has been hit with robo calls for months now. Congrats on the step 10. Now to work on that high three. David

sevenhelmet
04-12-17, 14:08
OPM gave away your details. And mine. And everyone else's. And nobody was jailed, fined, or even fired, AFAIK. :mad:

FWIW, GS pay scales are public record. Someone may have been able to correlate that to your job position, triggering a lot of calls based on your income. It wouldn't take a lot of digging through publicly available data to figure that out. My G phone gets sales calls too, even though I've never given that number to anyone outside of work, via work email.

elephant
04-12-17, 14:17
i doubt the OPM is selling your information. Your information is out there and huge data mining companies gather it from a huge pool of information.

Digital_Damage
04-12-17, 14:56
OPM gave away your details. And mine. And everyone else's. And nobody was jailed, fined, or even fired, AFAIK. :mad:

FWIW, GS pay scales are public record. Someone may have been able to correlate that to your job position, triggering a lot of calls based on your income. It wouldn't take a lot of digging through publicly available data to figure that out. My G phone gets sales calls too, even though I've never given that number to anyone outside of work, via work email.

Ya, all I got when that happened was a letter saying they would pay for a credit protection service...

Outlander Systems
04-12-17, 15:32
Pretty sure if you filled out an SF-86 in the last two decades, your dirt is out there floating around.

MegademiC
04-12-17, 16:54
What is OPM?

GTF425
04-12-17, 16:57
What is OPM?

The Office of Personnel Management.