PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 Light Use

tower59
04-13-17, 22:01
Hey gang- what's the preferred light for carry with the Glock 26? Specifically, what do you guys think about the Streamlight TLR-6? Does it stay put? What holsters will work with this? Looking at trying the Alien Gear 3.0. Thanks for any suggestions!

Aragorn77
04-14-17, 02:01
Glock 26/27 do not have a rail, so the light is a no go. You need at least a Glock 19 or Glock 30 sized gun to get the rail. My current EDC is a Glock 30s/Surefire XC-1/Bravo Concealment holster. I have a TLR1-HL. It's a nice light, but the compact size of the XC-1 makes it much easier to use in a CCW setting.

ggammell
04-14-17, 05:41
Glock 26/27 do not have a rail, so the light is a no go. You need at least a Glock 19 or Glock 30 sized gun to get the rail. My current EDC is a Glock 30s/Surefire XC-1/Bravo Concealment holster. I have a TLR1-HL. It's a nice light, but the compact size of the XC-1 makes it much easier to use in a CCW setting.

TLR-6 is not a rail mounted light. So in fact it is a "go" on the G26.

Aragorn77
04-14-17, 06:01
TLR-6 is not a rail mounted light. So in fact it is a "go" on the G26.

Geez, just when I think I know the answer. Guess I should have paid better attention in class ;) The TLR-6 looks like a great alternative to the rail mounted XC-1 and it's much more price friendly. Hopefully someone can give some actual feed back and I'll learn something else.

tower59
04-14-17, 07:57
Yeah, it's a no rail Glock. I knew that when I bought it and just had to accept the fact that as a "baby Glock" I had to forgo a light. But now, with the new release of the TLR6, a light may be a viable option. Interested to hear reports from actual users on the G26. Is it tough enough? Does it stay put? Reliable? Does it impact one's ability to carry in any way? Holster options? Thanks!

Uprange41
04-14-17, 09:47
I tried the TLR-6 and decided that a handheld was just better for my needs.

I'm sure it's not a bad thing to have a TLR-6 on the gun, but I didn't find a ton of value in it. Dim, awkward switching, didn't add weight to help keep the muzzle flatter the way an X300 does. I ended up ditching it.

El Cid
04-15-17, 13:19
I have a TLR-6 on my G43 and am very happy with it. Sure it's not X300 level bright, but a 43 (or 26) is a defensive weapon. If I'm hunting armed thugs I use a proper size weapon. My G26 is a BUG and if my agency permitted I'd put a TLR-6 on it.

HardToHandle
04-16-17, 10:36
I tried the TLR-6 and decided that a handheld was just better for my needs.

I'm sure it's not a bad thing to have a TLR-6 on the gun, but I didn't find a ton of value in it. Dim, awkward switching, didn't add weight to help keep the muzzle flatter the way an X300 does. I ended up ditching it.

Accurate assessment, but I kept the TLR 6 on my G26. Very lightweight, as noted, and the 100-ish lumens does not compare with recent tac lights, but I remember when a mini-maglight was considered high speed. I still carry a backup tactical light with my spare mag, so I am now in 1+1 zone. That results in a significant set of new options for me, which is good for a defensive gun.

I wish it had a grip type switch option. The long reach, constant on activation is suboptimal. The laser does nothing for me but waste batteries.

My assessment is the TLR 6 is harbinger of the future, when a WML is pretty much standard, even on concealed pistols. We have seen that move on duty weapons, which is generally positive. Streamlight deserves some applause on really prototyping the concept in the mass market - $100/100 lumens. Lots of room to improve over time, but innovation is incremental.

Treehopr
04-16-17, 11:09
The TLR6 does what it's supposed to do which is provide a low profile weapon mounted light on compact guns. My first Surefire was an incandescent G2 with 65 lumens so the 100 lumens may not be a lot but it's better than what I EDC'd a few years ago.

If you really want an X300U or TLR-1 light, get a Glock 19 and have the grip chopped to a G26 length.

Uprange41
04-16-17, 13:46
Accurate assessment, but I kept the TLR 6 on my G26. Very lightweight, as noted, and the 100-ish lumens does not compare with recent tac lights, but I remember when a mini-maglight was considered high speed. I still carry a backup tactical light with my spare mag, so I am now in 1+1 zone. That results in a significant set of new options for me, which is good for a defensive gun.

I wish it had a grip type switch option. The long reach, constant on activation is suboptimal. The laser does nothing for me but waste batteries.

My assessment is the TLR 6 is harbinger of the future, when a WML is pretty much standard, even on concealed pistols. We have seen that move on duty weapons, which is generally positive. Streamlight deserves some applause on really prototyping the concept in the mass market - $100/100 lumens. Lots of room to improve over time, but innovation is incremental.

I agree on much of this. WML's being standard, I'm onboard. Ditching the laser is also something I wanted. Maybe it'd afford stellar battery life, or perhaps more light for the same battery life, or even clear enough space in the body for a deeper/longer reflector. No idea if that's how it'd work out, but I felt like the laser was wasted space. And the switching left something to be desired on my end as well. I completely understand the design goals and limitations, having nice big X300 switches on the side of the gun kills the whole concept of not changing the footprint, but still, I just didn't like the switch. I'm sure there's a more effective way to employ a TLR-6 than just carrying over the same methods I use with X300's, though.

I only had one for a week, and I shot ~100 rounds each night while I had it, just trying to get a feel for it and comparing my performance with it vs. my performance with an EB1. Overall, I thought it seemed like a good idea from a one-is-none standpoint, considering the shear lack of weight and bulk added, and I would want it for sure if my G26 was also used for home defense. That said, it just didn't feel like a compelling enough piece of gear for me to want to hang onto it. Though to be honest, I was partly holding out for the possibility of a light-only version, partly just lazy about buying new holsters to facilitate something that didn't really make much difference in my ability to shoot at night.

tower59
04-16-17, 17:12
Anyone have any suggestions for holsters with this? Do you think AlienGear 3.0 will work with the G26 + TLR-6? What about Crossbreed Supertuck? Others? Thanks!

Uprange41
04-16-17, 19:36
Anyone have any suggestions for holsters with this? Do you think AlienGear 3.0 will work with the G26 + TLR-6? What about Crossbreed Supertuck? Others? Thanks!

I borrowed a friend's holster from TR Holsters. It was built fine and did the job. I think he got his when they had a TLR-6 + holster deal so see if they're still doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Cid
04-16-17, 20:26

I have an Incog, a regular IWB (off Amazon), a Raven OWB, ankle and a couple pocket holsters. Don't have pics of all of them. These are for the 43, but most are available for the 26/TLR-6.
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsepltny0w.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9043_zpsrg8hab6e.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsa144ds2v.jpg

HardToHandle
04-16-17, 20:35
I have an AIWB TLR-6 holster from Warrior Concealment. Chunkier than a non TLR-6 holster.

mkmckinley
04-30-17, 13:29
Skip the TLR-6 and ger a CT Laserguard Pro. The activation switch is much, much better than other lights. You can also make it come on with just the light or light+laser. I've had one on my G43 and it's pretty great but they supposedly just came out with models to fit the other Glocks.

RobertTheTexan
05-08-17, 15:55
I have an Incog, a regular IWB (off Amazon), a Raven OWB, ankle and a couple pocket holsters. Don't have pics of all of them. These are for the 43, but most are available for the 26/TLR-6.
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsepltny0w.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9043_zpsrg8hab6e.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsa144ds2v.jpg

El Cid,
Thanks for posting those pics. I'm favoring the Incog., but that's just with my eyeballs which means nothing for carry comfort and ease of draw. Do you happen to have a favorite? Comfort or ability to make a clean, quick draw or are the about the same?

WickedWillis
05-08-17, 16:30

I have an Alien Gear 3.0 for my Glock 26, and I feel like I am constantly fighting with it. Even with a gun belt on. It's comfortable, but its's very slick on the back and flimsy. I have been waiting for 6 weeks now on my Incog, I love the one I have for my G19, and the 26 should be no exception. The Alien gear is a cheap, decent holster, but it didn't work for me carrying 9 hours a day at work

RobertTheTexan
05-08-17, 16:54

Tower,
Caveat: I don't own an AlienGear w/light option. Because their light options are horrible. They don't have an option for G26 w/TRL-6. (Nor do they have an option for a G19 w/TRL-1XX) You can run a Crimson Trace or a Veridian light and I'm not interested in either. I did just check their website and even chatted with a support guy. He put in a "request" for both configs and said that the market demand drove the options available. I guess I didn't realize there were so many people running lasers on pistols and some Veridian brand I've never heard of.
Were you under the impression AG had a G26 w/ TRL-6 option?
I do believe that design-wise you can do better, especially when you throw a WML in the mix, but I cannot complain about their customer service. It is without a doubt one of the best in the tactical industry. They will swap your shell for a new shell if you change guns, and their warranty has always been spot on for me. I will say that time has a way of wearing out the belt clips and the nylon "spring plate" in the soft part of the holster. Send those parts in and they will replace them no problem, so you have that option. I would prefer a holster that I didn't have to swap parts out every few years. It is also a super comfortable holster with good retention and for me a fast, smooth draw.
Another issue may be placement. Ideally the AG holster, for "concealability" is worn at4-5 o'clock, closer to 5, depending on body type. Some guys likes different carry zone. I carry at 4 and I'm good with that. But worth a mention.

tower59
02-24-19, 22:08
Lights seem to be evolving quickly. Anyone have any new preferences for a Glock 26 light in 2019?

02-25-19, 06:48
I’ve got the TLR-6 on both my 26 and 43. I bought them on sale about 3 months ago. So far, I find them to work well for their purpose on these subcompact guns. I do not know what happens if they get wet or beat on, however. I use a Dara holster with curved clip and 7^ cant.

My EDC lately is a G19 with a grip chop to G26 length and a Inforce APL-c. A chopped down G19 is the best CCW that Glock never made in my opinion.

tower59
02-25-19, 17:04
Crimson Trace has a new option- Lightguard, model 777. I've been pretty happy with Streamlights and most people seem to share those sentiments, so I'm sort of leaning towards the TLR-6. Just wondering if there are any other options out there that should also be considered.

titsonritz
02-25-19, 17:57
I'm sure if it has been mentioned but the Viridian REACTOR RTL Gen 2 is another option and it comes with an "instant-on" holster.

tower59
02-28-19, 17:29
Thanks for the input. TLR6 came in today and installation was a breeze. Five minutes later, it was good to go. Initial impressions: fit and finish are good, looks like it's designed for the G26 rather than an afterthought. Activation button takes a conscious reach and extension of the index finger, but it's totally doable. Light is only 100 lumens which will probably be adequate, but not what I'd want if I'm outside investigating a threat. May report back after some night testing and zeroing the laser this weekend, weather permitting.

UTShooter71
03-01-19, 09:31
Lights seem to be evolving quickly. Anyone have any new preferences for a Glock 26 light in 2019?

I have been given a TLR-7. I am going to experiment with a ReCover Tactical rail and this light on my Glock 27. I have a TLR-6 on it now but it is going to my G26 if the new set up looks promising. I will say that my TLR-6, for me, was/is a great addition. I just don't need the 7 on anything else.

tower59
03-01-19, 20:31
Cool, hadn't seen the Recover rail system before. Looks like a slick way to use standard rail mount lights. I think the TLR6 is a smaller system that might be better for concealed carry. Once installed, it looks like it's truly part of the gun from the factory.

I got the TLR6 zeroed tonight at the range on the G26. I have never shot with a laser before, and let me just say that it's a huge plus in the dark. When it gets harder to see your sights, the laser is really easy to acquire. The light is acceptable for standard pistol ranges, but really not ideal for much past 50 yards. But, I don't anticipate using a pistol defensively at that range anyway. Really happy with the purchase!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-03-19, 01:17
FWIW, I had a TLR 6 on a 43 and did not like it at all. I sold it here for a loss.

UTShooter71
03-03-19, 16:32
FWIW, I had a TLR 6 on a 43 and did not like it at all. I sold it here for a loss.

That is too bad. I have one on my Glock 27 and really like it. It has been more than enough light to clear a house on a warrant service and a read life saver. I'm just messing will the TLR7 and my Glock 26 because it is a safe queen I don't really shoot it to much anymore.

UTShooter71
03-19-19, 13:59
I just wanted to add that this was a no-go. The light would not fit the rail. Although after some back and forth with ReCover they came out with a video showing how to mod one of the TLR7 keys to work with their rail but, to me, it looks kind of goofy. The rail seems nice but now I have to find a tiny light to go on it. They recommend a Olight PL-2 Valkyrie.