PDA

View Full Version : FNP-9 vs. G17 vs. XD-9

bwhughes
09-26-08, 03:16
I've been shooting as a hobby for a little while now, and as the laws in my state have allowed, I am now eligible to purchase my first handgun. I don't have a lot of experience in the handgun realm (which is why I have been doing quite a bit of research) as far as different models go, since the only ones I have shot are a G17 and a Ruger SR9, but I think I have my choices narrowed down to three.

The Glock 17 is the only handgun out of the three I have actually fired. I've heard some great things about Glock reliability and durability, which I like. I certainly won't be out in the desert anytime soon, but its nice to know you've got a piece of hardware that will hold up if anything were to happen. I liked the feel of the gun in my hands, but I've heard some negative things in regards to accuracy. I don't think with my first handgun I would for the life of me push it to its limits of accuracy by any means, but its still something I've read on more than one forum.

The Springfield XD-9 is very similar to the Glock 17 (at least to me) but I like the trigger feel and the grip angle a little better, and one thing I really like about it is the sear in the back of the gun that sticks out when there is a round chambered. I have always been taught to shoot with safety in mind at all times, but I really like this feature of the gun. My only hesitation at this point is the lack of available aftermarket parts due to the lifetime warranty. I'm not opposing the warranty by any means, I just think that after I build my comfort level with the gun, I'd want to do some tinkering, and that is something I like about the G17 is its upgradability options over the XD-9.

The last gun I've been looking at is the FNH FNP-9. I've really come to enjoy and admire FNH firearms over the years, and was actually quite shocked to not really find much information on the FNP's. A few people I know in law enforcement (friend's father and fellow officers we regularly shoot with) carry Glocks as duty guns but FNPs off duty and at the range. They have begun to swear by them, and I really liked the way it felt in my hand, and the overall finish and quality it seemed to exude when looking at it. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information or aftermarket parts for it, but I've been told it is a solid platform and shoots great "out of the box" so that is why I am considering it as well.

So that is where I am at, and I would really appreciate anything information or advice you would care to throw my way. I've been to a few gun stores recently, gathering info, holding guns, and trying to figure out what would work best for me. All the above seem to be what I'm looking for and all are around the same price. I have been lurking around on these forums for a while and decided to finally post, so if you could offer any help, I would be truly grateful. I'm sure I'll probably get a few M&P9 suggestions has well, but I haven't held one or done much research on it, so if you could, try to stick to the aforementioned unless you're uncontrollably in favor of something else, I would appreciate that too. Thanks.

ToddG
09-26-08, 08:01
If you've shot the Glock and it works for you, and you don't have the opportunity to shoot the others before making a decision: buy the Glock. The accuracy thing is a red herring. Even assuming that Glocks are on average less accurate than other guns, that means nothing in this context. You're as likely to get an exceptionally accurate Glock as you are to get an exceptionally inaccurate XD or FNP (or anything else). Furthermore, as a beginner, the gun is not going to be the main factor in your shooting performance.

If you can find some way to test drive other guns first: spend as much time as possible shooting as many options as possible before making a decision. Focus more on how well you shoot rather than how well the gun feels in your hand ... because that comfort could be hiding things you don't have the experience to assess yet.

Don't be in a rush. Measure twice, cut once.

crowkiller
09-26-08, 08:43
When I first handled a Glock 23 I was skeptical about the grip I bought it anyway and after shooting one for a while I have come to really like the mid-size Glocks grip alot. I shoot just as well if not better with my Glock23 as I do with my Glock 35 Im still not sure exactly why though.. On the other hand I bought a Walther P99 .40 cause I luved the grip so much at the store but when I shot it I didnt luv it so much and have since put a Hogue handall grip on it. I do think that part of the Walther's problem is it doesnt do so well taming the .40 recoil it might be fine in 9mm. Anyway the moral of this is shoot them if you get a chance and go from there. I have been toying with the idea of going to a plastic 9mm for CCW and right now it would either be a Glock19, M&P 9mm or an H&K P30 but that is my personal opinion. If money was no object it would be the P30 ;) heck if money was no object Id get all three and some. :D

JonInWA
09-26-08, 09:29
I would recommend the Glock for several reasons; first, it's very much a known and established quantity, and parts (if needed) are readily available and easily installed, factory support, both to individuals and organizations is superb, and the gun itself is excellent-not perfect, but excellent.

In the current 3rd Generation iteration of the G17, Glock has quietly instituted some product improvements, beyond the visible finger grooves and light rail. Barrel-to-slide fit is tightened, increasing accuracy (which was never horrible to begin with), the receiver has been strengthened (due to an extra pin and increased rear slide rail length-both measures adopted for other caliber use in the same frame, and subsequently carried over to the entire line in that frame size-more for manufacturing efficiencies, but also providing a side-benefit of a strengthened frame for 9mm G17s), and the trigger reset spring has been provided increased longevity.

I find the Glock to be comfortable, ergonomic, and easy to shoot, and quite weather impervious. Magazines are equally durable and reliable, and easily available-and relatively inexpensive.

Glock also sponsors a series of matches throughout the country each year aimed at all levels of users, through their Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF). The matches have easily understood and executed courses of fire, and are also challenging and fun. As a side benefit, each match will have a Glock Armorer present, who will be happy to examine your gun, do corrrective maintenance, and provide any factory upgrades and spot repairs needed-at no charge.

The 9mm Glocks, particularly the G17 and G19 are often considered to be the contemporary "gold standard" of combat (and sport) handguns, for good reasons.

I have nothing against the other guns you're considering (particularly the XD), but I think you'll be very pleased with a Glock 17, particularly as a first gun.

Best, Jon

Beat Trash
09-26-08, 18:49
Out of the three you list, I'd go with the Glock 17. But I'd try to shoot one of each first before you buy.

I would also add another choice for you to consider, the S&W M&P 9mm. I have been issued one for almost 3 years now. I rank the M&P right up there with the Glock 17. Both are excellent guns that could easily last you a lifetime.

I have no experience with the XD series, so I can't comment on them.

No matter what gun you end up with, i would also recommend you seek out competent and professional training and instruction.

DocGKR
09-26-08, 19:22
G17 or M&P. The FN is an unknown at this time. The XD is a no go for several reasons already discussed on this forum.

RogerinTPA
09-26-08, 21:27
If you like the Glock, I'd get the G19 for it's compactness, otherwise, I'd go with the M&P9c. You should, as Todd suggested, fire all of the weapons before purchasing IMHO.

citizensoldier16
09-26-08, 22:17
Having owned or fired all three that you mention, I choose the Glock. It's time-tested and has more proponents than the other two combined. Be wary of people saying that Glocks are less accurate than other pistols. I've owned 3 different Glock models and all three could put an entire mag through just about the same hole...right out of the box.

Honestly, it comes down to what you like. If you say you like the S&W grip angle, go shoot one. Personally, I found the recoil of the XD series to be unnecessarily harsh compared to a Glock, and thus, the pistol was less controllable for follow up shots. Are there any gun ranges in your area that rent pistols? If so, shoot a box through all three and buy the one you like best.

Thats really the key in buying a handgun. True, everyone wants the coolest thing they can buy, but if it doesn't fit them mechanically (how your body meshes with the gun to form a fighting unit) then it's worthless. I think the Desert Eagle .50 is about the coolest pistol out there, but its heavy as s*** and I can't grip it well...so I don't have one.

Pick something you like, something that fits you well, and that you feel comfortable operating and go with it.

ralph
09-28-08, 08:20
G17 or M&P. The FN is an unknown at this time. The XD is a no go for several reasons already discussed on this forum.

What's wrong with the XD?? I did a quick search, and could'nt find much..

Alpha Sierra
09-28-08, 11:09
Why would you not consider an M&P?

HK45
10-05-08, 12:48
I know a lot of people really like the Xd and I suppose I can see why but for me it's too "busy" a pistol. i don't want or need half the parts on the thing plus I understand it's till very difficult to get parts and that you pretty much have to send it to Springfield to get anything fixed. The FNP is too new. You simply can't go wrong with a Glock 17 or 19 for that matter. Whoever told you it is less accurate than other pistols is wrong btw. Plus it's so widely used there are a ton of accessories like holsters etc. available for it as well as parts and you can easily get it fixed or fix it yourself if you need to. You might consider the 19 though if you also plan on carrying. I will third or fourth the idea that you should take a long look at the M&P 9mm as well. Very ergonomic and Smith takes good care of their customers. I don't agree that it is as proven as the Glock 9mm's but Smith has made a lot of subtle improvements to it over the fairly short time it has been around compared to the Glocks.

HK45
10-05-08, 12:53
Ding ding ding! Love the HK P30. But it is considerably higher priced, plus HK is not nearly as ubiquitous as the Glocks or M&P's and their customer service is not something you should put a newcomer through.

If money was no object it would be the P30 ;) heck if money was no object Id get all three and some. :D

scubie02
10-05-08, 19:01
huh, well, I guess I'm going to have to be the rebel here and recommend the XD :D

I've owned all sorts of polymer pistols, and personally I have found the XD to be the most accurate and easiest to shoot. I have 3 now and the two service models will keep up with or better most of my 1911's. I have nothing against Glocks, but if you get a glock, you might as well just plan to shoot other Glock's IMO because the grip angle is totally different than pretty much anything else you are going to shoot. Since I shoot 1911's the XD is my polymer gun of choice because the grip angle is very similar, and also since I shoot 1911's I have no probem with grip safeties, in fact I rather like the extra safety. Mine have never failed to go bang with any sort of ammo, from cheapo plinking stuff to any sort of hp. The only negative I can think of is the blocky design compared to a nice slim 1911 (but then nothing carries as nice as a 1911) but any of the other polymer's are just as blocky.

I have handled the FN though never fired one, and have to say it felt nice and it seems like they get good reviews. I would suspect they might be harder to find holsters for than the other two though.

I doubt you'll go wrong with any of them in terms of reliability or accuracy. Just depends on what works for you. I;d try handling both an xd and a glock and try pointing them (unloaded) and see which one points naturally for you--VERY different grip angle. Then grab the one that works for you.

HK45
10-05-08, 22:30
I don't know anyone that is true for including myself.

[QUOTE=scubie02;228288I have nothing against Glocks, but if you get a glock, you might as well just plan to shoot other Glock's IMO because the grip angle is totally different than pretty much anything else you are going to shoot. [/QUOTE]

DocGKR
10-05-08, 23:11
In general, grip safeties are fine. There have been some annoying small parts failures when XD's (particularly the .40's) are run hard, but my main problem with XD's is the inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety--this makes one-hand injured operation very difficult. This is a no go for me.

drsal
10-12-08, 19:55
I have owned all three models mentioned. All are excellent reliable weapons. However, I sold the Xd and Fn and kept the Glock 17. If I had to choose a single handgun to own (thankfully I don't:)) it would be (actually is) a Glock. But get whatever you shoot best with!

forgiven
10-13-08, 14:36
I have owned all three models mentioned. All are excellent reliable weapons. However, I sold the Xd and Fn and kept the Glock 17. If I had to choose a single handgun to own (thankfully I don't:)) it would be (actually is) a Glock. But get whatever you shoot best with!

+1.................

Grey
10-13-08, 22:05
I think the G17 and G19 would be my first choice and as a matter of fact they are. They are very easy to work on and replace worn parts at a user level and they work well in a variety of conditions.

dcsansiraq
10-15-08, 15:00
Well I have to agree with scubie02. I cut my teeth on a 1911 and that is in part why I am partial to the XD. I shoot it very well and do not find follow up shots difficult. The one hand operation may well be a valid point to but I must admit I am not overly concerned with. If I am expecting to get into a fight I will bring my FAL! I would say if you go Glock stay Glock do to the grip angle. If I were to go to the range now and do some point shooting I would be high do to the grip angle. I have shot many Glocks and I respect and admire them for their smiplicity and durability but I do not own them. So my vote is for the XD. If you want something to tinker with and mod then nothing beats a 1911. But a 1911 may not be the best for an inexperience shooter. YMMV

.357sigger
10-15-08, 15:35
I have a brand new still in the box unfired XD-9 w/5 mags that I think I am going to sell or trade in on a glock 19...

dcsansiraq
10-15-08, 15:45
I have a brand new still in the box unfired XD-9 w/5 mags that I think I am going to sell or trade in on a glock 19...

How much and where is it located. I may be interested. Thanks

.357sigger
10-15-08, 16:16
You have a PM dcsansiraq

gringop
10-15-08, 16:40
I have nothing against Glocks, but if you get a glock, you might as well just plan to shoot other Glock's IMO because the grip angle is totally different than pretty much anything else you are going to shoot.

I can switch between my Glock, M+P and 1911s and be up to full speed after about 30 minutes or less of dry fire. After a certain point of training, shooting pistols is less about grips and grip angles and more about vision and trigger control.

PS. Out of those 3, get the Glock.

Gringop

ToddG
10-16-08, 10:17
The Handguns section is not intended as a place to announce products for sale. If you have items for sale, put them in the Member Sales Forum. Thank you.

ToddG
10-16-08, 10:20
The one hand operation may well be a valid point to but I must admit I am not overly concerned with. If I am expecting to get into a fight I will bring my FAL!

If I'm expecting to get into a fight, I won't bring a FAL, I'll bring a dozen of my buddies with their FALs (or whatever). The point is, any weapon you carry for possible use in a dynamic situation needs to work, and it needs to be workable SHO and WHO.

.357sigger
10-16-08, 10:26
How much and where is it located. I may be interested. Thanks

CHeck the for sale forum

.357sigger
10-16-08, 10:32
The Handguns section is not intended as a place to announce products for sale. If you have items for sale, put them in the Member Sales Forum. Thank you.

I was merely making a comment that I was thinking about selling my xd for a glock at my DEALER....which is why I posted nothing further in regards to any transaction, price, anything other than look in the for sale area. The previous poster was asking me about selling it to him.

ccmdfd
10-16-08, 10:51
and it needs to be workable SHO and WHO.

SHO and WHO? Those are new ones for me, can you elaborate?

Thanks

ToddG
10-16-08, 10:58
SHO: Strong Hand Only
WHO: Weak Hand Only

dcsansiraq
10-16-08, 12:06
If I'm expecting to get into a fight, I won't bring a FAL, I'll bring a dozen of my buddies with their FALs (or whatever). The point is, any weapon you carry for possible use in a dynamic situation needs to work, and it needs to be workable SHO and WHO.

I was afraid that would get people riled up. I know you can't always plan when you are going to get into a fight! If it was a pretty good bet that rounds would be fired I would bring everyone I know to it:cool: For the record I carry my SA TRP when ever possible and it is ambi friendly;)

rat31465
10-16-08, 12:18
I have helped many first time buyers with the purchase of a first handgun and I am usually the first to say don't take my opinions as Gospel. They are my opinions and experiences that have worked best for me.
First off..I disliked the Glock line of Firearms in the beginning and was a hard sell on thier reputation. I currently own and carry a Glock 17daily and have full trust in its capability.
My first experience was in the way of a live fire Demonstration from a Glock rep who came to the Gunshop/Firing range where I worked at the time. He convinced me to give them a try.
Since then I have owned numerous models of Glocks and have found them to be every bit as accurate/reliable as other similiarly priced handguns on the market. And despite my having smaller hands. I found that the double stack mags of the Glocks fit my hands very well and were natural pointing shooters.

That brings me to my point....at the very least you need to handle all three of the firearms you mention here as being interested in purchasing.
Pick the one that feels best in your hand and gives you a natural and consistent sight picture when you draw it.

I can't take the credit for this system as I have seen it in print many times over the years...but it does work.

(pick a spot on the wall as you hold the gun loosely with your weak hand.
Dont be in a hurry as you draw it but make sure you have a firm grip. Pull the pistol to eye level and pay close attention to how the sights align for you. Are the front and rear aligned or not. Side to side as well as up and down? Do you have to make changes in how you grip the gun or is it solid in your hand?)

With some firearms aftermarket grips will help which is the only downfall that I see with the Glock...

When you discover which of the three mentioned points the most natural for you....you will have the answere to your question. As a natural pointer is going to be easier to shoot well...ESPECIALLY for a beginner.

Again....this simple test has worked for me in helping many with a first purchase...and honestly I can't recall anyone complaining that I steered them wrong in almost 12 years of selling guns.

ToddG
10-16-08, 12:48
The problem with the "natural point" approach is that a newb who doesn't know the proper way to hold a gun isn't really in a position to figure out which gun fits him the best.

His grip/technique will almost certainly change under stress.
His grip/technique will almost certainly change if he practices a few times.
His grip/technique will almost certainly change if he gets formal training.
His grip/technique will almost certainly change when he is firing a live weapon as opposed to holding one at the store.

The only reliable way to determine which gun works best for you is to shoot each of the three, preferably incorporating one handed shooting, reloads, malf clearances, shooting from cover, etc. in your evaluation.

Barring that, the reality is that as long as you're buying a gun with a good reputation for reliability, everything else is minutiae that matters a lot more in online discussions than it will if you're ever in a fight.

rat31465
10-16-08, 14:55
I agree that actual hands on shooting is the best and most reliable approach to finding the best firearm for a beginner.

...if however, shooting each is not an option as it doesn't seem to be for this gentleman nor many of the first timers I have helped....doesn't it make sense that a handgun (of quality) that is a natural pointer for the shooter...regardles of thier experience level, would be a good standard starting point.

I recently went on the hunt for a handgun myself and the reality of the situation (at least in my area of S.W. Missouri.) is that most gunshops now are keeping only minimal stock levels and thus are relying more on special ordering firearms as a way to keep thier overhead down. Even finding a shop with all three of the listed firearms in stock to handle might be a daunting and impossible challenge to anyone.

And yes...I agree wholeheartedly that with experience, the stress of a real life combat situation and or training with a quality instructor that preferences may change. But this thread was started by someone with little to no experience with handguns at all.
And while this may be an 'Old School train of thought, I hold to it steadfast and have practiced it myself for almost 25 years.

That ones performance and the resulting probability of hits to the vitals will increase in such stress induced situations with a firearm that points like a natural extension of the arm.

ToddG
10-16-08, 15:42
I understand where you're coming from, and I understand it sounds like a better solution than "just pick the one that looks prettiest." No question. But for a completely unskilled person it won't make a big enough difference, and for anyone with a reasonable amount of practice and skill it won't make a big enough difference.

Glocks and SIGs point much differently, yet thousands upon thousands of LE/mil folks are trained to use one or the other without concerns for which points best.

In the hierarchy of priorities, "natural point" just doesn't rank high in my book.

exitinyourhead
10-16-08, 15:54
i know this is a horribly expensive way to go about choosing a handgun but, for me, it's the approach that works best.

I purchase a hangun on recommendation of forums, friends, periodicals and to some extent advertising. I bring the gun home and put multiple rounds through it during multiple shooting sessions and try and gauge my comfort with the way the pistol shoots, my accuracy and the guns reliability. If the firearms suits me, I'm reasonably accurate and it functions correctly I consider it something to move forward with. If these criteria aren't met I trade or sell the gun back to the gun store. It's expensive and I usually take a hit on whatever I purchase but I feel like i'm in a better place to make a decision.

I can't hold a gun in a gunstore and know if it's going to be a great pistol. I can't even spend a few hundred rounds in an indoor range at the gunstore and feel confident. I need to put a pistol through paces over a period of time to understand how I will shoot with it and how the gun will perform.

To me, and it's just me, the 100 dollars or so hit I take on a handgun that isn't reliable, or that I don't shoot very well is money WELL spent. For example, i purchased a G17 mostly on what I've read on this forum. I held the gun at the store and thought about how different it felt in my hand and how it didn't seem like a "naturl pointer." After about 7 or 8 hundred rounds I found myself going back to it over and over. I've become accurate with the pistol, it never has an reliability issue and I've become accustomed to any "ergonomic deficiency" it may or may not have. It points just as naturally as my M&P9 or HK45. This is a pistol I never would have purchased by feel and didn't feel comfortable with for the first 2 or 3 hundred rounds.

In answer to the OP here I can recommend the G17 (round count around 1500 now.) I can't offer any opinion on the other 2 candidates here because I've never owned them. The G17 that I own is reliable, accurate and easy to maintain. I'd also suggest the M&P9 into your shopping list. Of the 9's I've had the glock and the m&p have been my favorites. I won't be taking a hit on either of those.

ToddG
10-16-08, 23:29
rat -- I think we're discussing minutiae at this point so I hope you'll indulge my counter-point, even though odds are neither of us thinks it's worth arguing about. We seem to agree that the best way to assess a gun is to shoot it, after all. So this is really just an intellectual exploration ...

As for the natural point, my comment about it being unimportant for newb/unskilled shooters is that [i]regardless of whether it's pointing right on target or a few inches high, lack of situational awareness, a warrior mindset, and even proper trigger control make those few inches essentially unimportant. So for the unskilled shooter, pointability still rates low on my personal scale. A gun that is reliable, safe, ease to load and unload, easy to conceal, etc. are far more important.

rat31465
10-17-08, 20:52
Todd,
Naw...I dont see this as an arguement at all. If it really came down to it I would have to defer to your advice and experience as it far exceeds my own. I prefer to think of it as a debate if you will?:)
I like to believe that I know enough to know when to just shut my mouth and learn from those in the know.
I actually appreciate the advice/debate/corrections from those more knowledgable in the craft of armed combat than am I anytime I can get it. I look forward to chatting more in the future.

boltcatch
10-20-08, 00:42
If you like the feel of the Glock in your hands, have fired it, and already know that you can use it... then it is very hard to come up with a reason to choose the FN or XD over the Glock.

Spare parts for the Glock are extremely cheap and extremely plentiful, and replacing them is a breeze. It is easy to find mags, accessories, etc.