PDA

View Full Version : Questions for any car tuners we may have here...

JC5188
04-14-17, 18:13
I know we have an incredibly diverse, technically accomplished membership of people here, that cover a range of topics.

Background...

I buy a performance type car about every 5 years. First thing I like to do is buy a tuner, and either use a canned 91oct tune, or try to find decent 93 and run the 93 tune.

I've done this with a 2006 Monte Carlo SS (the all aluminum LS4 V8 version with the LS6 heads) using a Diablosport. It was great on the power, but with no transmission support at the time, it was incomplete. Didn't really like doing runs on the highway with a laptop, in lieu of a dyno, but...whaddya gonna do?

Sold that car and bought a 2011 challenger, super track pack car. Went a different direction with a hypertech interceptor tuner. It plugged into different sensors to trick the CPU into different settings. It also came with a throttle pedal accelerator, to do away with the subdued throttle response from the pedal.

Nice gains, especially down low, and was easy to use...just buy 91 or 93 oct and it did its thang.

Now, I have a 2016 mustang GT Premium with the performance package. Anyone have experience tuning on these? Which tuner is best for the coyote?

This is my first mustang.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex V
04-14-17, 20:05
There are some guys that make very fast Mustangs in NJ. http://www.teamjdm.com

The shop that built my car can tune GM/Ford/Mopar but specialize in GM. The tuner/engine builder uses HP Tuners mostly now a days but has also used LS1Edit and EFI Live. I think my car is done with HP Tuners now. He also tunes BigStuff 3 for the really fast stuff.

My car went from bolt on, to three different heads and cam setups, to heads can and nitrous, and is now a solid roller 347. Went from MAF to Speed Density back to MAF, single plane I take back to FAST 102. Been all over the place and no one other than Cartek has ever touched my car. If you still had an LS anything I would say go there, but JDM might be a better choice if you are anywhere near NJ.

1_click_off
04-14-17, 20:23
I have a 95 with a 347 and had a local shop tune it with a SCT chip. Nice thing with this is I have up to 4 tunes in it and can select which tune to use with a rotary dial.

VP race fuel
Nitrous tune
Dead tune

Dead tune prevents it from starting if someone decides to steal it.
I didn't finish the tune because I burned some pistons. Stock fuel rails couldn't keep up. I know, I know, dumb thing to skip, but I learned my lesson.

rjacobs
04-14-17, 21:11
custom tune all day long.

canned tunes in a plug in tuner are shit.

BUT unless you are going to mod the car and take advantage of what a custom tune can bring, its honestly not worth it for the few HP that you would gain.

I see it in the Vette world all the time. Guy spends 600 for a custom tune for his $400 cold air intake and gains 10hp... hardly worth the money and the effort.

Most shops I believe are using HP Tuners now.

JC5188
04-14-17, 23:11
Thanks for the replies, guys. [emoji106]

JC5188
04-14-17, 23:23
custom tune all day long.

canned tunes in a plug in tuner are shit.

BUT unless you are going to mod the car and take advantage of what a custom tune can bring, its honestly not worth it for the few HP that you would gain.

I see it in the Vette world all the time. Guy spends 600 for a custom tune for his $400 cold air intake and gains 10hp... hardly worth the money and the effort.

Most shops I believe are using HP Tuners now.

I agree with you, and have thought about mods through Ford as they are warrantied.

My challenger had 20+ more torque, and with a 3.91:1 rear end, I'm missing it during daily driving. I'm really just trying to get torque lower in the RPM range, so I don't have to wring out to 7 grand to play around.

Not really concerned with the $$ to results at this point.

Thanks for the info, man.

rjacobs
04-14-17, 23:29
Put a roots style PD blower on the car. Instant torque.

http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/2015-mustang-supercharger.html

I believe this kit(the stage 1) is warrantied for 3/36k if you have a Ford dealer do the install. The Stage 2 kit is only a parts warranty I think.

Whatever you do research the shit out of it. I spent 3-4 months researching the build I did on my Vette. Made sure everything worked in harmony. End result was a car that made killer power, is a blast to drive, reliable, etc... Where as a lot of guys that throw shit together, it doesnt work right together, etc... and the car isnt fun anymore.

Same thing I did with a jeep I built a few years ago... spent months researching. When we went to build it, everything worked together perfectly and the build went off without a hitch(well one small one, but it wasnt due to parts not working together).

Ive owned almost 30 cars(I think I am at #28) and built quite a few fast cars. Its been a learning process. Now if I cant do a build damn near 100% from the get go, I just dont do it at all. Keeps from half assing things.

JC5188
04-14-17, 23:35
Put a roots style PD blower on the car. Instant torque.

http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/2015-mustang-supercharger.html

I believe this kit(the stage 1) is warrantied for 3/36k if you have a Ford dealer do the install. The Stage 2 kit is only a parts warranty I think.

Whatever you do research the shit out of it. I spent 3-4 months researching the build I did on my Vette. Made sure everything worked in harmony. End result was a car that made killer power, is a blast to drive, reliable, etc... Where as a lot of guys that throw shit together, it doesnt work right together, etc... and the car isnt fun anymore.

Same thing I did with a jeep I built a few years ago... spent months researching. When we went to build it, everything worked together perfectly and the build went off without a hitch(well one small one, but it wasnt due to parts not working together).

Ive owned almost 30 cars(I think I am at #28) and built quite a few fast cars. Its been a learning process. Now if I cant do a build damn near 100% from the get go, I just dont do it at all. Keeps from half assing things.

Lol...yeah you're WAAAAY beyond where I am right now, brother!

I toyed with buying a Shelby, I'm just not sure I want to live with a SC as the daily driver.

You got me thinking tho...[emoji106]

C-grunt
04-15-17, 03:48
Where are you located? I got a friend that tunes professionally that's in Southern California and comes here to Az a lot. He is more known for Subarus but recently started racing a GT350. I think he does Mustangs now too. If he doesn't he knows someone who does in the area.

BTW, I have two friends with supercharged Coyotes. Both ate putting out over 600 WHP.

SkiDevil
04-15-17, 04:06
I know we have an incredibly diverse, technically accomplished membership of people here, that cover a range of topics.

Background...

I buy a performance type car about every 5 years. First thing I like to do is buy a tuner, and either use a canned 91oct tune, or try to find decent 93 and run the 93 tune.

I've done this with a 2006 Monte Carlo SS (the all aluminum LS4 V8 version with the LS6 heads) using a Diablosport. It was great on the power, but with no transmission support at the time, it was incomplete. Didn't really like doing runs on the highway with a laptop, in lieu of a dyno, but...whaddya gonna do?

Sold that car and bought a 2011 challenger, super track pack car. Went a different direction with a hypertech interceptor tuner. It plugged into different sensors to trick the CPU into different settings. It also came with a throttle pedal accelerator, to do away with the subdued throttle response from the pedal.

Nice gains, especially down low, and was easy to use...just buy 91 or 93 oct and it did its thang.

Now, I have a 2016 mustang GT Premium with the performance package. Anyone have experience tuning on these? Which tuner is best for the coyote?

This is my first mustang.

Thanks guys

I would start at this website/ forum. There are many knowledgeable folks whom can guide you in the right direction.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/index.php

JC5188
04-15-17, 04:25
Where are you located? I got a friend that tunes professionally that's in Southern California and comes here to Az a lot. He is more known for Subarus but recently started racing a GT350. I think he does Mustangs now too. If he doesn't he knows someone who does in the area.

BTW, I have two friends with supercharged Coyotes. Both ate putting out over 600 WHP.

I'm in Oklahoma..

Yeah, the coyote is why I went with a mustang this time. I can have a roushcharger installed by a dealer and keep a factory warranty. Just not quite ready to do that yet.

JC5188
04-15-17, 04:35
I would start at this website/ forum. There are many knowledgeable folks whom can guide you in the right direction.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/index.php

Thanks, I'll check them out.

SkiDevil
04-15-17, 04:53
Thanks, I'll check them out.

You're welcome. I have the same car, Mustang GT 2015, in Metallic Grey. There are alot of aftermarket options.

I was initially looking at a Super Charger, but after driving it stock. I'm pretty content with the power for now.

This single Turbo kit looks promising. 5K with pretty much stock car, under the hood. Supposed to put out decent power. It is still in development stage.

I may go that route with a few minor modifications to the exhaust. I wouldn't mind an extra 100-150 HP and maintaining stock reliability.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71315

1_click_off
04-15-17, 07:23
I'm in Oklahoma..

Yeah, the coyote is why I went with a mustang this time. I can have a roushcharger installed by a dealer and keep a factory warranty. Just not quite ready to do that yet.

You are probably close enough to this guy http://www.murillomotorsports.com to make it worth a trip. I once trailered a friend from New Orleans area overnight to get there first thing in the morning to get a car tuned and then back to NOLA that evening. He had a fox body with a supercharged 4.6 with a 50 shot tuned. We had to stop when we started lifting the heads. Do some research on this guy, but he knows what he is doing.

Eurodriver
04-15-17, 07:37
I spent 3-4 months researching the build I did on my Vette. Made sure everything worked in harmony. End result was a car that made killer power, is a blast to drive, reliable, etc... Where as a lot of guys that throw shit together, it doesnt work right together, etc... and the car isnt fun anymore.

Eh, my 600 would smoke it.

:lol:

JC5188
04-15-17, 08:27
You are probably close enough to this guy http://www.murillomotorsports.com to make it worth a trip. I once trailered a friend from New Orleans area overnight to get there first thing in the morning to get a car tuned and then back to NOLA that evening. He had a fox body with a supercharged 4.6 with a 50 shot tuned. We had to stop when we started lifting the heads. Do some research on this guy, but he knows what he is doing.

I'll check him out thanks[emoji846]