PDA

View Full Version : Mandela Effect Films

Firefly
04-15-17, 00:31
We have a lot of movie threads lately because when we aren't being the Lord's Own badasses; We like our VHS/Netflix and Chill.

But I propose a different topic. Movies you remember, googled, and cant figure out what you watched yet left an indelible mark on your psyche. And hopefully one of your fellow M4Cers of certain ages has a better memory or video library.

Mandela Affect is a term in which, for whatever reason, your brain has got you remembering something that is close but not quite there. Named after people who thought Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 90s as opposed to dying free in the 21st century.

This is even worse give.n the sheer amount of Z movies pumped out on VHS from the mid 80s on.

Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I give four films/shows/TV films/whatever that left a mark but I can't get a handle on what the hell it was:

1. This is my main one. It was a home invasion movie that looked like it was made in the 80s. It was on VHS. The main guy is a sheriff or whatever and he has his friend and his girlfriend over. Friends GF is blonde and meets up with main guy in the barn and they just have sex out of nowhere. Not graphic but boobs come out. Then he goes back to working on something and the girl goes back into the house to help cook. Wife picks suspiciously straw out of girl's hair but the infidelity is never addressed as later these biker/hoodlums invade the house, kill the friend, beat on the kids, and molest the women. The guy can't get to his gun but he goes to his shed and fabricates this body armor and helmet out of steel and makes improvised stabbing weapons. And one by one he kills off the thigs looking like a black knight from hell.

2. Cannot remember the plot but these kids get a package with T Shirts and being kids they think "gee wow free stuff!" and put then on but they have an irritant or something on them and they start burning and screaming.

3. These kids in high school are sick of gangs taking over. So they somehow get UZIs, CAR-15s, M60s, M203s, and grenades from a Vietnam Vet dad and start killing off gang members every night.

4. This guy was in Vietnam and he always says "Airborne! Mess with the best....Die like the rest!" He is an older SNCO in charge of green Joes. Somehow they trigger his PTSD and he puts on Tiger Stripes while they have Woodland and he comes up out the woods like Jason on them and catches them up in bear traps and tiger cages. This young guy ends up beating him by catching him in a trap and throwing a grenade at him saying "Mess with the best, Die like the rest" implying he might go crazy one day too.

10-13 year old me would love it if anyone knows what I am talking about.
Share yours as well.

Koshinn
04-15-17, 01:24
Important distinction, the Mandela Effect is about things that actually don't exist but people "remember" it as if it does exist. Films that you just don't remember the name of don't qualify for the Mandela effect. An example is a movie in the early 90s called Shazam, featuring Sinbad as a genie. People believe this movie exists, remember plot details, and even the poster. It doesn't exist.

There was a TV show I remember watching once and I always remembered, but not the name. I eventually found it a month or two ago. It was about this modern day kid that get sent into some alternate universe where the technology is medieval or so. This guy tried to make a paper airplane but it fails, so he helps and it flies well, but then the local LEOs see it and arrest him and the villager because only they can fly. And when they shoot electricity at him, his rubber shoes protect him or something and he makes it out. It was a TV show called Spellbinder. Kind of terrible show to be honest.

SteyrAUG
04-15-17, 02:10
So many made for cable / straight to video films in the 80s and somehow I missed all of these. Google search now officially sucks. Used to be you could google the most esoteric and little known things and BAM there it is. Now I just get 80% advertisements and 20% news stories.

But in my efforts to track down any of these, I did find Tuff Turf with Kim Richards which I had completely forgotten about. Man was she hot.

Firefly
04-15-17, 02:36
Google is communist. A bit of insomnia and a brain hankling had me googling weird stuff until I found 3 and 4.

3 was Young Warriors and the trailer is on youtube. I wish I could watch it again. I kinda liked the whole revenge fantasy and post apocalyptic stuff in the day. I did not know Ernest Bornine and Shaft were in it.

4 has multiple titles: Private War/Operation Paratrooper/The Paratrooper. And apparently Junior the jive black power guy from Platoon was in it though I dont remember him in it. It was like Friday the 13th with a Paratrooper.

1 and 2 elude me. I think 2 was an NBC movie of the week or something or a short lived cop show.

1 was a VHS rental and while it is likely better in my memory, it seemed really far out and almost medieval.

@Koshinn, I stand humbly corrected, sir. Thanks for clarification on proper usage of Mandela Effect. I too thought Sinbad was in a genie movie too. Weird. Also I saw Spellbinder too and it was odd.

Its weird, from 1995 to present it seems like everything is on record or archived yet there are still some parts of media like movies or shows that get kinda 'videodrome' the further you look.

I remember staying up north and me and some cousins would stay up and watch/record horror movies on the UHF channel. After 1 am they were uncensored. Gore and cussing intact exvept they would cover breasts with a pink fleshy blob so they still looked nude. Then they'd play weird local commercials and every so often between commercials a voice would say "Are you scared yet? You're not? You must be a real sicko". In this deep, raspy voice. Or something like "Mmmm That girl was so pretty...until she lost her head!". No host. Nothing. Just a blood font We'll be back after these messages" title card and some weird disembodied voice.

Then after the movie was over the screen went blank. They showed s Bible verse, and played the National Anthem.

Moose-Knuckle
04-15-17, 04:02
I once found a complete list of all the 80's action-adventure TV shows that EVER aired (think Riptide, Streethawk, The Highwayman, etc.) and for the life of me I cannot find it again.

Anyway there was a show on for only one season about an Aussie SAS cat who would come down through skylights on the baddies. I've never been able to find the name of it again.

Outlander Systems
04-15-17, 06:03
Holy ****ing shit.

Dude, I remember that cheesy assed Sinbad genie movie, because it was right around the same time that the Lion King came out.

And I remember when the cheesy assed Shaq genie movie came out it everyone thought it was a Shazam ripoff.

Then the internet tells me that shit never happened?!

What dafuq. There's some freaky quantum entanglement shit going on here...

Important distinction, the Mandela Effect is about things that actually don't exist but people "remember" it as if it does exist. Films that you just don't remember the name of don't qualify for the Mandela effect. An example is a movie in the early 90s called Shazam, featuring Sinbad as a genie. People believe this movie exists, remember plot details, and even the poster. It doesn't exist.

eodinert
04-15-17, 12:35
I think the ultimate 'Mandela Effect' movie moment for me is the Bond film 'Moonraker'... I remember the scene as Jaws meet's Dolly (a fellow evil minion), and the bond over their smiles; him with his 'grill', and her, with braces.

All traces of her braces seem to be erased from the collective consciousness.

docsherm
04-15-17, 14:19
I think the ultimate 'Mandela Effect' movie moment for me is the Bond film 'Moonraker'... I remember the scene as Jaws meet's Dolly (a fellow evil minion), and the bond over their smiles; him with his 'grill', and her, with braces.

All traces of her braces seem to be erased from the collective consciousness.

You are not the only one that thinks this:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/moonraker-dolly-did-not-wear-braces

Firefly
04-15-17, 18:02
I'll be damned.....I thought she had braces too. The bad guy was going on about his perfect space master race needing perfect human specimens and Jaws is RIGHT THERE and he talks about people not being too tall or too short, nearsighted et all so Jaws beats his ass.

For those wondering how a Jaws/Dolly pairing plays out in real life....it is awkward and weird.

Outlander Systems
04-15-17, 19:59
Does anyone remember in a New Hope when Han Solo blew Greedo to hell? I could have sworn that happened.

SteyrAUG
04-16-17, 00:15
You are not the only one that thinks this:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/moonraker-dolly-did-not-wear-braces

Wow, I feel like part of a government subliminal experiment. Could have sworn she had braces.

sgtrock82
04-16-17, 09:19
Does anyone remember in a New Hope when Han Solo blew Greedo to hell? I could have sworn that happened.

I sure thought he did but its been so long since I saw any of the original movies that hadnt been fuct with by Lucas in the late 90s, that I can't recall all of the changes. I wish he would have let them be.

scooter22
04-24-17, 23:09
Some of you may enjoy this. Mandela Effect at 6:40. Video in link:

http://m.disclose.tv/news/smartest_kid_in_the_world_believes_our_universe_was_destroyed_by_cern/138662

Official Kremlin Transmission

glocktogo
04-25-17, 09:56

Holy ****ing shit.

Dude, I remember that cheesy assed Sinbad genie movie, because it was right around the same time that the Lion King came out.

And I remember when the cheesy assed Shaq genie movie came out it everyone thought it was a Shazam ripoff.

Then the internet tells me that shit never happened?!

What dafuq. There's some freaky quantum entanglement shit going on here...

The movie was Kazaam and it was Shaq. People confuse Shazam with Kazaam and Sinbad with Shaq. It's a mind trick for sure. :)

Outlander Systems
04-25-17, 10:02
Negative. The Shaq movie was a ripoff of Shazam.

The movie was Kazaam and it was Shaq. People confuse Shazam with Kazaam and Sinbad with Shaq. It's a mind trick for sure. :)

glocktogo
04-25-17, 11:30
Negative. The Shaq movie was a ripoff of Shazam.

Proof? :)

Scrubber3
04-25-17, 11:31

You are missing the point here sir...

Outlander Systems
04-25-17, 11:34
None, other than going back in time/parallel universe and interviewing me and my buddies about how gay the Shaq genie movie was.

Outlander Systems
04-25-17, 11:39
Pretty much.

Look, I don't know when the hell the Berenstein Bears turned into the Berenstain Bears, or how the hell Nelson Mandela rose from the dead, or why they ripped off a Sinbad movie with one starring Shaquille O'Neill, but Even 11 year old Outlander knew the difference between Shaq and the Parachute Pant King, Sinbad, bruh.

You are missing the point here sir...

Firefly
04-25-17, 11:39
Sinbad used to genuinely cheer me up as a youth. He had this TV show. It ruled.

Who remembers the creepy old lady at the end of Hellraiser 1? Like this bone dragon from Hell flies off at the end and there was this creepy old lady talking to her cat about how great the movie was....a movie about old demons from Hell that steal your soul.

Everybody thinks I'm on acid but I saw it on VHS. Back when you had to rent a VCR and it looked like a nuclear suitcase bomb