PDA

View Full Version : Jeep = Junk

Doc Safari
04-19-17, 10:52
This is the second one now that has left me stranded needing a tow out of the blue.

In 2009 I bought a Jeep Patriot. I chose it over any other vehicle (example: Ford Escape) because it was several thousand dollars cheaper than the next four wheel drive SUV above it.

Within 3000 miles, the safety interlock failed and locked up the ignition, transmission, and even the ability to remove the key from the ignition. I was left stranded on a Sunday afternoon and had to have it towed to the dealership on Monday. It was only then that I discovered an entire chapter in the manual on what to do if the safety interlock fails.

So I got it fixed and it was pretty much trouble-free when I got rid of it in 2016. I hadn't planned to get another Jeep Patriot, but I got such a low quote on a new one through AAA that I decided to check it out. I asked the dealer if Chrysler fixed the safety interlock problem, and they said that Chrysler had. They pointed out the manual no longer has a chapter on it. They thought the problem was only for certain model years, and since my trade-in was over seven years old I believed them.

So this past weekend my 2016 Patriot locked up on me and I had to have it towed. This time the security system's module failed, so I couldn't start it at all.

This is the last straw with me and the Jeep brand. Probably the Chyrsler brand, too.

I feel like a sucker for ever taking a chance on a second Jeep Patriot, but Triple A got me such a good deal and I thought surely after seven years they've improved them that I went for it.

No more Jeeps for me. I just want to tell the world that if you buy a Jeep it WILL eventually leave you stranded.

SIGguy229
04-19-17, 10:53
Patriot = not really a "Jeep"...except for the plastic letters on the outside.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-19-17, 10:56
The ergonomics on my 2000&2003 GJC were awesome. Two rocker switches on the back of the steering wheel to control pretty much all the radio functions. Genius.

The Heating system flapper gate that will eventually fail in all Jeeps and means the whole dashboard needs to be pulled for a big buck repair. That wasn't much fun.

It was pretty much impossible to get stuck in snow though.

Ergonomic and 4WD, awesome. Engineering past that, not so much.

Doc Safari
04-19-17, 10:57
Patriot = not really a "Jeep"...except for the plastic letters on the outside.

I'd have to disagree there. Maybe it's not "trail-rated", but the four-wheel drive has gotten me out of some pretty hairy situations, like an axle-deep flooded road and having to traverse rocky terrain to bypass the rest of it. The four-wheel drive is actually better than a friend's Honda Ridgeline, believe it or not.

But I digress. Any vehicle that leaves me stranded can't be trusted. As soon as it's paid off it's gone.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-19-17, 11:01
Yep, mine stranded me too. Drive line sensor fail? About 10 years ago so I forget. Had done a 12,000 mountain pass with the fam the weekend before. Come out from lunch and ---- nothin. Did keep that one much longer.

soulezoo
04-19-17, 11:15
Jeep as a brand has not had good quality or reliability ratings for decades. It is an iconic nameplate that brings the corporate owners (research for yourself how many ownership changes there have been) mucho profit but they haven't as a whole made a quality reliable product for a very long time. That said, I'd build up a Rubicon for myself or even take a trailhawk.

Honda and fwd? Just no. It is pretend fwd.

Vandal
04-19-17, 11:19
The only current jeeps worth having are the Wrangler Rubicons. Even then, only for the trade in value a few years later when you get sick of it.

Doc Safari
04-19-17, 11:23
Jeep as a brand has not had good quality or reliability ratings for decades. It is an iconic nameplate that brings the corporate owners (research for yourself how many ownership changes there have been) mucho profit but they haven't as a whole made a quality reliable product for a very long time. That said, I'd build up a Rubicon for myself or even take a trailhawk.

Honda and fwd? Just no. It is pretend fwd.

I concur on the Honda 4Wd. I've seen first hand it's an illusion.

I was attracted to the Jeep brand because my mom and dad had two Jeep Wagoneers that they drove until the things literally started falling apart. I think the last time I drove my dad's Jeep Wagoneer the glass from the gear indicator fell out!

I was unaware until my own experiences that they had fallen that far down. I remember researching my 2008 Patriot and it had a fair-to-middlin' reliability rating IIRC. Guess I should have taken that as a negative rather than a positive. There were so many other vehicles that did worse and not a lot that rated significantly higher that I thought I was pretty safe with a Jeep. Wrong.

Ned Christiansen
04-19-17, 11:25
I see Jeeps I like the look of but after my first (and last) ownership experience with Chrysler, I will now never own a Jeep. Damn shame that these companies just flat out refuse to make a quality product and when you want some answers of God forbid warranty support, nobuddy no's nuttin' or, "Oh, they're all that way".

So nothing more from that company. The next brand might not treat me any better but at least Chrysler won't have my money.

Det-Sog
04-19-17, 11:28
The only current jeeps worth having are the Wrangler Rubicons. Even then, only for the trade in value a few years later when you get sick of it.

This. Those Rubicons are pretty nice. I almost bought one, but snagged a Ford Raptor instead.

Dienekes
04-19-17, 11:39
Been driving Jeeps off and on for a LONG time; my first one was a 49 station wagon with a 4 banger. Current one is a 72 CJ5 that I rebuilt from a total wreck 25 years ago. The common factor has been that they were all essentially toys; any really serious work to be done was by a gnarly 3/4 ton Ford pickup with a pto winch and a 6 banger. Current 4WD is--horrors--an aging Toyota.

The awful secret was right there in the old Consumer Reports charts on vehicle RELIABILITY. Decade after decade, ANYTHING Chrysler (and especially Jeep) always came in at the bottom. "Black balls" everywhere...Toyota, all "red balls". Gee, whatever shall I do???

My CJ5 is quirky, but I know every part in it intimately and it IS reliable. For a toy.

I always get a kick out of the "It's a Jeep Thing--You Wouldn't Understand" window stickers.

RazorBurn
04-19-17, 11:44
One thing I learned after working at a transmission shop for nine and a half years. I will never own anything with a Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep badge on it.

Wake27
04-19-17, 11:49
I bought a new GC in 2013 and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMS951
04-19-17, 12:35
I work in the automotive industry. All I can say is never ever ever buy something produced by the Chrysler/fiat group.

Old old Jeeps are simpler and better. Think AMC days.

The fact a manual had a chapter on dealing with a failed major part is laughable.

soulezoo
04-19-17, 12:44
I work in the automotive industry. All I can say is never ever ever buy something produced by the Chrysler/fiat group.

The fact a manual had a chapter on dealing with a failed major part is laughable.

Now see, this is was I was talking about in an earlier post. Above: "Think AMC days" as if those were grand old glory days. That will make anyone who remembers AMC in those days shudder. Think "Pacer" or "Gremlin " (a car that could not be more aptly named) Quality of those times were on an epically bad level. Point is, that's how long Jeep has been bad. What's next? Is someone now going to long for the "good old days " when Harley-Davidson was owned by AMF?

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-19-17, 13:20
Jeep "Engineering"

Doc Safari
04-19-17, 13:29

I can only go by my parents' experiences since I used to only drive Chevy's and Nissans (and one Mitsubishi). My dad had a Dodge Ram that had a leaky transmission, but otherwise was a fantastic truck. They also had a Dodge Stratus that was the shizzle until it had a couple of problems at nearly 100,000 miles. My mom's PT Cruiser seemed to be fine except the suspension looked really fragile to me. I'd never want to drive it down a dirt road.

I guess this is my problem. My parents ran their Wagoneers until they were ready for the junkyard. That impressed me as a kid.

Absolutely happened. They were no doubt banking on the fact that new car buyers don't ask to see the manual when looking to purchase a vehicle. Had I read that chapter beforehand I might have bought the Ford Escape instead.

But there I was, on a Sunday afternoon...reading the chapter on safety interlock failure while waiting for the tow truck.

I'll add this:

I absolutely support, praise, and dedicate my life to keeping my AAA membership. On a Saturday of Easter weekend they got me a tow truck and a rental car with no problems AT ALL. And I saw people standing in line at the rental car place who weren't going to get a car that day.

HeruMew
04-19-17, 13:37
My Buick Rendezvous has amazing four wheel drive. However, dont use that 4 wheel offroad because a log or rock could destroy the c305 module underneath the drivers seat facing down towards the ground...
Yeah, I got stranded as the power pin to my fuel pump corroded itself to nothing this last year thanks to Minnesota snow and salt. I pulled that connector and water poured out. Just idiotic engineering to face such a vital connector down towards the ground without any shielding.

Sorry, I used this as a vent thread as I wait for a new wiring harness to cut up and straight wire this crap.

Eurodriver
04-19-17, 15:32
Makes me glad I went with a 4Runner over a Jeep! I was back and forth forever!

wildcard600
04-19-17, 15:38
I've had good luck with Jeep personally for the last 15 years. But, all have been Wrangler's with the exception of my old M38 Willys.

I wouldn't touch anything else made by Chrysler/Fiat though.

Wake27
04-19-17, 16:53
Not trying to derail this thread entirely, is there a car company that is actually good? It seemed to me they all have major flaws of some type.

Slater
04-19-17, 17:34
Those of us that are old enough can remember Detroit's substantial QC problems from the 1970's and '80's. They really put out some turds in those days.

lowprone
04-19-17, 17:34
2006 was the last year of reasonably reliable jeeps.

Eurodriver
04-19-17, 17:38
Not trying to derail this thread entirely, is there a car company that is actually good? It seemed to me they all have major flaws of some type.

Toyota trucks.

RazorBurn
04-19-17, 17:59

In my personal and professional opinion and in no particular order; Honda, Toyota, and Subaru make the best vehicles on the road.

Dienekes
04-19-17, 18:34
As a family we've had three 80s Toyota pickups; an '80 and '87 2WD, plus my 87 4WD with 165K and I expect it to be the last. The other two were bought used, "rode hard and put away wet" as my kids' first wheels. All were tough as an old boot. the '87 2WD came off the rodeo circuit and went 275K. As time went on there were two other of those small pickups, plus an '01 MR2 Spyder and an '06 Corolla. Also in the mix have been an older Cressida, a Supra, and a Lexus sport convertible. All outstandingly solid. The one exception, a Tundra (fortunately NOT owned by me.)

But enough of what I think. Check out all 3 parts of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

The outlier was a Tundra pickup which was garbage. Fortunately, not mine.

FlyingHunter
04-19-17, 18:39
I've owned one Chrysler product. It cured me from ever owning another one.

Redhat
04-19-17, 19:04
OP,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. IMO, I believe manufacturer's have good and bad models within the brand. RE Jeep...I bought a 2000 Cherokee 4WD in '02, used with 30k on it and drove it until around 2014 with over 130k before I traded it in. Great car and never had any major problems out of it. I now have a '04 Expedition with 130 k on it. Bought used in '09 and it has been great as well but not as good as the Jeep. I have no desire to buy another though Jeep since FIAT entered the picture. My advice, is research the models well and try your best to make an informed choice.

OH58D
04-19-17, 19:10
That's what a lot of Jeep enthusiasts say. The TJ Series, 1997-2006. However, I have never owned one except for a 1993 repo Jeep Islander I bought. It was yellow with a bikini top. Sold it three days later for a $3000.00 profit.

wildcard600
04-19-17, 19:42

05/06 were some of the worst actually. Oil pump drive assemblies were problematic and if not caught early your engine would be trash in short order. Lots of reports of cam gear problems on those years as well. Somehow Chrysler took a near bulletproof engine (the 4.0 inline 6) and broke it in 05/06.

Then there are the issues common to all of the TJ series (some fixed on rubicon, some not) weak drag link and tie rods, weak ass D35 axle, and shitty control arm brackets. Though non of those are an issue unless you actually take the thing off road.

I used to shun the JK, but now having owned one for a few years you couldn't give me back my TJ unless half the parts were upgraded aftermarket.

RazorBurn
04-19-17, 19:53
But enough of what I think. Check out all 3 parts of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

Holy sweet mother of pearl. I've never seen that. I'm not surprised in the least though.

MegademiC
04-19-17, 19:56

Acura.

I fully intend to purchase a Rubicon to cruise the woods and roads doors off, top off, widshiled down... outside of that, I'll be sticking with acuras. My 05 tsx got traded in when the transmission died at 230K. There was a small leak I didn't catch till the damage was done.

So I bought another 05 tsx with 85k. We'll see how it goes.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-19-17, 22:01
Bought a brand new TJ in 06. Nothing about it impressed me. I enjoyed the topless/doorless driving. Beyond that, it was an awful vehicle.

Wake27
04-20-17, 01:41
In my personal and professional opinion and in no particular order; Honda, Toyota, and Subaru make the best vehicles on the road.

Subaru's sedan looks pretty good but I'm not a fan of the looks of a single other model from any one of those brands.

Scrubber3
04-20-17, 05:33
Toyota 4Runner.

Chrysler has been making garbage for years. The dealerships count on you coming back for warranty work and WILL treat you like a red headed step child when you come in for repairs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Slater
04-20-17, 09:46
The Korean brands (Hyundai, Kia) seem to be reasonably reliable.

JackFanToM
04-20-17, 10:36
Owned 2 jeeps, and driven dozens from rental agencies, and they all suffer from steering wheel play.

MegademiC
04-20-17, 11:12
Toyota 4Runner.

Chrysler has been making garbage for years. The dealerships count on you coming back for warranty work and WILL treat you like a red headed step child when you come in for repairs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I watched a friend pull another friends Patriot out of a creek with his 4-runner. Quite funny.

RetroRevolver77
04-20-17, 11:21
I've owned Jeeps for decades. The Patriot isn't a Jeep.

Doc Safari
04-20-17, 11:25
I've owned Jeeps for decades. The Patriot isn't a Jeep.

I think Consumer Reports described it accurately. When I bought my first Patriot in 2009 their description was (roughly) that it was an SUV made to be used on pavement most of the time, with limited off-road and four-wheel-drive capability. That description to a 'T' was what I was looking for and was one reason I bought it. I needed it for muddy and rough dirt road conditions at the ranch, but mostly it would be used in town.

I always considered it a cross between a city vehicle and a 'real' Jeep. I have not been the least dissatisfied with the 4-wheel drive, or how much power it has. Sure, I'd never go rock-crawling with it, but it has never failed me on a flooded road, rough terrain, or a just plain crappy dirt road.

But leaving me stranded is an unforgivable sin. No more Jeeps.

Arik
04-20-17, 11:47
I always thought that the old 4.0ltr jeeps were indestructible. Both Wrangler and Cherokee sport

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Scrubber3
04-20-17, 12:12
I think Consumer Reports described it accurately. When I bought my first Patriot in 2009 their description was (roughly) that it was an SUV made to be used on pavement most of the time, with limited off-road and four-wheel-drive capability. That description to a 'T' was what I was looking for and was one reason I bought it. I needed it for muddy and rough dirt road conditions at the ranch, but mostly it would be used in town.

I always considered it a cross between a city vehicle and a 'real' Jeep. I have not been the least dissatisfied with the 4-wheel drive, or how much power it has. Sure, I'd never go rock-crawling with it, but it has never failed me on a flooded road, rough terrain, or a just plain crappy dirt road.

The Patriot has a CVT which is a no-no for anything more than a dirt road which is why they told you off pavement.

Go to the Toyota dealership. Ask to test drive a 4Runner. Say goodbye to ever being stranded anywhere ever again. The price of admission isn't cheap, but it is the closest thing to an investment you can make with an automobile. The trade-in value is off the charts. Which is expected for such a long lasting, offroad worthy vehicle.

RetroRevolver77
04-20-17, 13:00

If you buy a Jeep get either a TJ wrangler with the 4.0 inline six cylinder or the 2014 or newer wrangler with the Pentastar V6. My TJ is going on fifteen years old and still going strong. The inline six cylinder for an every day driver vehicle will last forever.

fallenromeo
04-20-17, 13:08
im surprised by all the hate in this thread. I have a 13 wrangler and I absolutely love it. I bought it mainly to get me out to the harder to reach spots to go shooting, and it hasn't let me down once. I even have some fun romping around on trails out there while I am at it. Once it is paid off, I intend to build it up and relegate it to weekend duty. Dana 60s and pitbull rocker 41.5" tires. I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

RazorBurn
04-20-17, 14:53
I always thought that the old 4.0ltr jeeps were indestructible. Both Wrangler and Cherokee sport

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They were the exception to the rule as they had Toyota (Aisin Warner) running gear in the standard and automatic transmissions. Those were damn good vehicles.

RazorBurn
04-20-17, 14:56
im surprised by all the hate in this thread. I have a 13 wrangler and I absolutely love it. I bought it mainly to get me out to the harder to reach spots to go shooting, and it hasn't let me down once. I even have some fun romping around on trails out there while I am at it. Once it is paid off, I intend to build it up and relegate it to weekend duty. Dana 60s and pitbull rocker 41.5" tires. I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

Your local driveline shop will appreciate all the driveshaft and u-joint work (among other things). Have fun!

1_click_off
04-20-17, 16:22
Ahh, the AMC jeep days. Spent many a summer vacations stranded on the side of the road in a 77 wagoneer. Not sure we ever made a trip over 500miles without meeting new strangers willing to run us into town to get parts. Toolbox was a must to go anywhere far. 401cu in with quadtra-trac. Hate it, but sort of miss it too.

JC5188
04-20-17, 16:42
Now see, this is was I was talking about in an earlier post. Above: "Think AMC days" as if those were grand old glory days. That will make anyone who remembers AMC in those days shudder. Think "Pacer" or "Gremlin " (a car that could not be more aptly named) Quality of those times were on an epically bad level. Point is, that's how long Jeep has been bad. What's next? Is someone now going to long for the "good old days " when Harley-Davidson was owned by AMF?

Heyyyyyy.....I have an AMF era Harley....I (My brother actually) chopped off most of the Harley parts:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170420/116d2e36556e4400a0364bd698ed3915.jpg

And now it's.....still a piece of shit.

RazorBurn
04-20-17, 19:56
Heyyyyyy.....I have an AMF era Harley....I (My brother actually) chopped off most of the Harley parts:

And now it's.....still a piece of shit.

I had an SX-175 Street and Trail. Learned to ride on that bike, and gave it pure hell through the 80's.

MAUSER202
04-20-17, 21:04
I have had 3 Rubicon's since 2010 each traded before 70k. The only issues besides the normal door seal wether leaked that all 3 had was the 2011 burned oil, 1 at per 1k miles. I loved all 3, awesome off road just not practical enough for me at this point in like.

Doc Safari
04-21-17, 09:04
So....the problem with mine was that somehow the security module failed. They replaced that computer under warranty but there was a "software upgrade" that cost me $65.00

What do you want to bet the computer failed because it needed the software upgrade in the first place?

Ned Christiansen
04-24-17, 23:31
The 09 Liberty a friend had should have cured me of wanting anything Chrysler. Tranny failure, no warranty help. Chronic window motor failure, oops no warranty help. VALVE STEMS made from ( looks like) die-cast metal, with the tire pressure sensor that rides inside the rim. Valve stem tip is just barely below the sidewall of the tire, so, go up against a curb? Broken valve stem, flat tire, expensive repair because you have to buy the whole F-king unit with the pressure sensor / sender. Wash your car too vigorously? Broken valve stem, flat tire, etc. My local oil change place has a sign, we will check your tire pressure but cannot be responsible for broken / leaking valve stems on certain models having a pressure sensor / sender.

A hundred years plus making cars and they give us this crap. There should be a class action suit on the valve stem thing alone. I've worked with them (Big 3) and I can assure you it's because they will do anything, I mean anything, to save fifty cents a car, safety and reliability be damned. It's fugging criminal.

A new key for my Nitro is, I'm told. at least $125. Thanks, Chrysler.