PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations: entrepreneurship/business books

elephant
04-20-17, 14:00
Has anyone read any books by:

Jim Collins: Good to Great, Great by Choice, Built to Last etc.

Dale Carnegie: How to Win Friends and Influence People, Stop Worrying and Start Living

John C Maxwell: Laws of Leadership, How Successful People think, 25 Ways to Win People etc

Or do any of you have any recommendations on leadership/entrepreneurship/business?

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-20-17, 18:57
Michael Porter, On Competition is probably the most concise way to get into his theories on business strategy. His Five Forces model for if you want to actually be in a business area and I still like SWOTs, when done right, for how to compete.

The Prince by Machiavelli. More of a reflection and big picture for managing nasty, tough times when you are at a disadvantage and not the stronger party. Blue Ocean strategies are about as realistic as Disney Pirates. The company I work for has kicked ass over the past decade and we are trying to figure out what to do next. On the title page of my Recommendations I had Machiavelli quoting Dido from the Aeneid with the passage that starts "Res dura...." and loosely means that hard times and the newness of her kingdom with enemies all around mean that you have to watch all your borders.