PDA

View Full Version : Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

MSparks909
04-20-17, 16:33
Its abundantly clear that as times have changed, so have firearm preferences. This year saw the adoption of the Sig P320 as the next US Military sidearm, ending a 116 year period of using hammer fired sidearms as the "official" sidearm. I'm not much one for nostalgia, but I do find the trend interesting. It's clear that the market demand for striker fired guns is at an all time high, with CZ, Beretta and FN introducing new models in the past 6 months alone. We also have Sig, Walther, HK, Canik, Steyr, Ruger, Remington, (insert favorite brand here) that have all introduced their ideal version of the "Glock killer" striker fired handgun.

I'm curious how many of you in here still carry and prefer to shoot hammer fired guns? I'm not limiting this to one category; it could be a 1911, a DA/SA (any brand), HK LEM, whatever. If you do carry a hammer fired gun, regardless of what it is, I'd be curious to hear your specific reasons why.

On the same token, if you carry a striker fired gun, regardless of brand, I'd also like to hear why as opposed to a DA/SA or 1911. I'd like to leave "fanboy-ism" out of this thread if possible.

If all you've ever shot is striker fired guns and have never tried a hammer fired gun please post up as well.

I personally grew up shooting Glocks, and I began seriously training about 4 years ago. I dipped my feet into DA/SA Berettas, and now they are my primary carry. I still own Glocks, but prefer a hammer gun for day-to-day carry and competitive shooting. I like the extra safety margin I have with the long DA first shot, and I like how every shot after that is a nice, crisp SA break. I like thumbing the hammer as I reholster (I carry appendix). I incorporate the press-out into my draw and like that I can be more aggressive with my DA first shot as I have a longer trigger travel, as opposed to a striker fired gun. Those are my reasons and I'd like to hear yours.

Clint
04-20-17, 17:07
I still own Glocks, but prefer a hammer gun for day-to-day carry and competitive shooting. I like the extra safety margin I have with the long DA first shot, and I like how every shot after that is a nice, crisp SA break. I like thumbing the hammer as I reholster (I carry appendix). I incorporate the press-out into my draw and like that I can be more aggressive with my DA first shot as I have a longer trigger travel, as opposed to a striker fired gun. Those are my reasons and I'd like to hear yours.

^ This pretty much sums up my thought process as well.

Cocked and locked 1911 style may be safe enough, but requires manually flipping off the safety, something that could be screwed up in a panic situation. (even though men that carry .45 don't panic)

Striker fired is ready to go and even a t-shirt getting caught in the trigger can result in the loss of your favorite parts when carrying AIWB.

DA/SA strikes a nice balance of no external safety to manipulate and long first trigger pull from a decocked hammer.

Thumbing the hammer makes it impossible to fire.

The combination is very safe, yet very easy to deploy.

_Stormin_
04-20-17, 18:31
You didn't put up the option for a mix of carry so I selected "Yes" because I carry a hammer fired pistol along with striker fired from time to time. I have a blend of Sig/1911/G19 in rotation and really feel that I am confident with each firearm in any situation. For a while all I carried was the G19, but I am more accurate with my 1911s and the decision to rotate them back in was made.

SomeOtherGuy
04-20-17, 20:53
I personally grew up shooting Glocks, and I began seriously training about 4 years ago. I dipped my feet into DA/SA Berettas, and now they are my primary carry. I still own Glocks, but prefer a hammer gun for day-to-day carry and competitive shooting. I like the extra safety margin I have with the long DA first shot, and I like how every shot after that is a nice, crisp SA break. I like thumbing the hammer as I reholster (I carry appendix). I incorporate the press-out into my draw and like that I can be more aggressive with my DA first shot as I have a longer trigger travel, as opposed to a striker fired gun. Those are my reasons and I'd like to hear yours.

I started shooting with DA/SA Rugers, got 1911, then moved into the striker-fired world and mostly shot Glocks for 5-6 years. I am now moving back to DA/SA for exactly the reasons underlined. Also, I hate plastic triggers, and only a few striker-fired guns have metal triggers.

Although plenty of DA/SA guns have terrible DA pulls, a good selection have very good to excellent pulls. In my experience the discontinued Ruger P-series have really great DA pulls. The CZ-75, quality clones, and Beretta 92 all seem to have very good DA pulls as well. I'm not entirely a fan of how the CZ-75 doesn't have the hammer fully down when decocked using the lever (on my CZ-75BD or a P-07); I prefer the hammer fully down so it can't snag or get something wedged between hammer and firing pin.

There is more to trigger pull than just the weight to break. The smoothness of pull, friction and bumps or lack thereof, trigger shape and stiffness all seem to matter for accurate shooting. I hated the flimsy hinged trigger on a M&P even though its pull weight wasn't too heavy.

I like 1911s for range use but prefer not to carry cocked and locked or to worry about the grip safety, and I've finally fully rejected chamber-empty carry for all the obvious reasons.

RND
04-20-17, 21:18
"Broken record."

amd5007
04-20-17, 21:21
HK p2000 in traditional DA/SA. I have been carrying a G19 for awhile, but the p2000 handles much better for me.

SpecWired
04-20-17, 23:23
I don't think it really matters if you commit to training and proficiency.

On a commercial side, obviously Glock's success is something many companies want to tap into so they intro their own competing products to siphon off Glock sales.

I'm sure the simplified manufacturing and new mags or increased demand for existing mags with new striker pistols increases company margins as well.

Personally I happen to like CZ DA/SA pistols and largely don't give much thought to the striker or hammer debate.

seant8
04-21-17, 01:32
I was introduced to shooting in Law Enforcement and my first pistol was a Glock 31. Since then I've been able to shoot Sigs, 1911s, and a few other manufacturers' guns. I appreciate them all for different reasons, but I still run a Glock 17. I must be the rare human they designed the Glock grip for, because it suits me perfect finger grooves and all. I'll probably run a Glock 17 with talon grips and Warren Tactical fiber optic sights until laser guns are a thing. I prefer the consistent trigger pull and the simplicity of it. I run my concealed carry at 4 o'clock. I can understand why appendix carriers would want to run a DA/SA gun, although I think striker fired guns are fine in that position too with due diligence from the shooter.

C-grunt
04-21-17, 03:58
I voted yes even though I really dont carry a hammered gun very often. Not because I think my Glock is better, but more that my Glock is my duty gun and if I shoot someone off duty with it (as long as it's a good shoot) I will be covered by the department. Hell I just picked up a H&K USP9 Compact today.

sasquatchoslav
04-21-17, 06:00
I don't think it really matters if you commit to training and proficiency.

The 'ol P226 probably won't ever fall out of favor with me, but I do like the G19. Picked one up last year, fed it all kinds of ammo eats it all just like my Sig which is great. I don't recognize any benefit over my Sig simply b/c of muscle memory at this point ~ 25 years. I think if I used the G19 for as long as the Sig it very well could become my go to. I didn't buy the Glock b/c I have any reservations with my ability to perform with the Sig, but rather b/c of a sweet deal. If I 'had' to carry one or the other I'd feel just as confident. Both great handguns.

bear13
04-21-17, 06:17
I started with striker guns. Had some hammer fired along the way, but mostly carried striker. I really started to get into tda guns for carry. I prefer the redundant safety and the smoothness of a good da pull. I have moved to the px4cc and it is awesome. Everything I want in a carry gun it does. I just could not shoot striker guns as well.

Arik
04-21-17, 07:23
I was introduced to shooting in Law Enforcement and my first pistol was a Glock 31. Since then I've been able to shoot Sigs, 1911s, and a few other manufacturers' guns. I appreciate them all for different reasons, but I still run a Glock 17. I must be the rare human they designed the Glock grip for, because it suits me perfect finger grooves and all. I'll probably run a Glock 17 with talon grips and Warren Tactical fiber optic sights until laser guns are a thing. I prefer the consistent trigger pull and the simplicity of it. I run my concealed carry at 4 o'clock. I can understand why appendix carriers would want to run a DA/SA gun, although I think striker fired guns are fine in that position too with due diligence from the shooter.

I'm the same way. I find the Glock grip, especially the 19 perfect...finger grooves and all.

Started with Ruger P89 in 2001 didn't know anything about guns. They were all the same to me so I picked one that was priced right. Couldn't hit shit with it. Today when I pick one up I don't know how I even bought it. Feels all wrong in the hand and horrible triggers. Anyway, had a bunch of different random guns untill I finally stopped accumulating them and started to get more serious about carrying and shooting. Bought a G19 in 2008 and since then all my striker fired guns have been Glocks. I own a few hammer fired guns but I can't just go and order one like I would with Glock. They all feel inconsistent to me, even in the same brand. Pick up a dozen different Sigs and one or two will feel smoother and lighter than the rest. Same with CZ and Beretta. For a while I was into 3rd gen S&Ws. Had the 5906, 4566/06, 1006/26. I found them to have the best trigger pull. Despite being rated at 10# they didn't feel like it. Sold them all eventually. I still have HKs, P2000 40sw LEM, USP9 LEM, and a few other USPs that I'm hoping to turn into LEM. I find them to be the closest to striker fired. I'd really like to find a P2000 9mm in light LEM. And I have an old 226 along with a 2022

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MStarmer
04-21-17, 15:49
Although my preferred sidearm is a 1911 cocked and locked I still edc a striker fired pistol without a safety. Mainly due to one reason that for some reason a lot of people don't consider. While my wife is a fairly advanced shooter with many training classes and hours behind her (along with many quals with duty gun and level III holster) a thumb safety / decocker just isn't her thing. Although she carries her own pistol I still want her (or my adult daughter) to be able to use my pistol in the event I'm down and out of the fight. In a stress situation either one of them would be more than able to return fire instantly with a striker fired Glock/M&P/320 etc.. Anything with a safety, not so much. The same goes for a DA/SA gun, although again proficient enough with them, the practice of de-cocking is foreign and just not practiced. Now a DAO hammer fired gun could fit the bill if I really wanted to carry a hammer gun.

Jermedic
04-21-17, 20:05
I carry a 1911 either government or officers size. I shoot them well and have trained a lot with them. I have entertained carrying my G19 off and on for the past several years due to the increased capacity, but I can't shoot it anywhere near as well as a 1911. I have medium size hands and for the life of me I can't get my hand comfortable on the grip and always shoot well to the left (6 inches). I have been focusing on training with it more for the past month and plan to continue to do so. I'm also contemplating doing a grip reduction and finger bump removal on it as a last ditch try to get better with it. For me it comes down to having 8+1 rounds that I can hit with vs 15+1 rounds that I can miss with.

1986s4
04-21-17, 21:16
Smith M13 3" or SIG P225. I like the added margin of safety of the longer trigger pull.

ndmiller
04-22-17, 08:24
I have both and prefer both (Glock, CZ, Sig, HK). I carry my Glocks because I've trained with them and am more proficient with them. Going to training later this year and will bring CZ P-07 and will start carrying that depending how I feel with it after the class.

Talon167
04-22-17, 08:42
And here I thought I was the only one!

Through my shooting style, plain and simple, I shoot hammer guns better than striker guns. However, I am not a big fan of DA/SA so I always carried/trained with an HK in condition one. That is, until I discovered LEM. To me it's the best of both worlds: consistent trigger pull every time; no safety to worry about; and hammer fired. Now I carry a P30 and train with a P30L.

I still like condition one type of pistols, though, over striker. One of my current favorites is my 226 SAO. Will hopefully be adding a 226 Legoin SAO one of these days.

WillBrink
04-22-17, 08:53
I like the extra safety margin I have with the long DA first shot, and I like how every shot after that is a nice, crisp SA break. I like thumbing the hammer as I reholster (I carry appendix). I incorporate the press-out into my draw and like that I can be more aggressive with my DA first shot as I have a longer trigger travel, as opposed to a striker fired gun. Those are my reasons and I'd like to hear yours.

I'm the opposite, I prefer trigger press to be consistent, be it DA or SA, but not a fan of DA/SA. I CCWd, competed, etc 1911s for a decade or so, and love the platform, but made the switch to polymer wonder pistol via the M&P with APEX kit, which I suspect was the set up that finally drew more 1911 shooters over to the dark side than any other.

Phillygunguy
04-22-17, 09:49
I mostly carry Glock, but on occasion I carry a p30 lem
I like the p30 more. actually I love my p30, but the Glock is easier to shoot

graffex
04-22-17, 10:11
I wouldn't touch a hammer gun with a 10 foot pole.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-22-17, 10:32
Do you have a gun? Do you dry fire that gun? Do you train with that gun? Do you carry that gun? Have you put that gun through it's paces enough to know it's going to work? Well then, regardless of DA/SA-SAO-Striker-Etc it must be the gun for you.

I've been an LEO for 5 years now, and prior to that I spent 4 years in the USMC. I carried an M9 every once in awhile in the Marine Corps, I got very little trigger time behind it and couldn't shoot it very well. I transitioned to LE and carried a LEM P30 through the academy and for my first year. It was a wildly different setup (paddles, LEM trigger) than anything I'd ever carried, but I trained so much with it that I became very efficient with it. I then got some strange bug up my ass, bought a Colt Rail Gun, sent it to MARS, and then started carrying it on duty. Ive carried and trained with that same 1911 for 3 or 4 years now. I know it inside and out, and contrary to what a poster said, the 1911 safety is of no issue to anyone who trains with the platform.

With all that said, I love my Glocks, my Shield, and my VP9's. In fact, I have a Glock 34 on order that I think I will transition to on duty sometime this year. Why? Not because I shoot it any better than my 1911, but because I carry 4 WC 8rd 1911 Mags, and that still doesn't equal 2 of the fullsize Glock mags. In the current climate of anti-LE, more rounds seems better to me...

MountainRaven
04-22-17, 13:53
It seems to me that I shoot hammer-fired pistols better than striker-fired pistols, whether they're DA/SA or SAO (1911s, BHPs).

It seems that I have reached the point where I can say - without being snarky - that when I want to carry a gun, I carry a 1911. And I carry a Glock - a 43 - when I'm not carrying a gun. I suppose if I trusted SiG or Kimber more, I might carry one of their 'roid-rage Mustang clones in 9mm, instead.

Cocked and locked 1911 style may be safe enough, but requires manually flipping off the safety, something that could be screwed up in a panic situation.

Then you're doing it wrong.

I prefer the hammer fully down so it can't snag or get something wedged between hammer and firing pin.

SOP for most DA/SAs is for the decocker to drop the hammer to half-cock. Walther (PPs, PPKs, P38s, P01s, all discontinued), Beretta, and Ruger (discontinued) pistols are the only two that I'm aware of that drop the hammer all the way. SiG, CZ, and H&K double-actions - all current production - all drop them to half-cock. I honestly don't remember whether my S&W 4506 dropped the hammer to half-cock or not, but I'm reasonably certain that it did (the 3913TSW I've handled much more recently was a DAO and the hammer returned to half-cock after each shot, IIRC), and I think the Makarov drops the hammer to half-cock as well (I've only briefly handled one that belonged to a friend, so I don't properly recall).

In any event, I wouldn't let it bother me, if H&K post-USP, SiG P22x, and CZ pistols all do it.

dusterdude
04-22-17, 18:35
I currently have a striker fired pistol but i do miss my 1911

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
04-22-17, 19:02
SOP for most DA/SAs is for the decocker to drop the hammer to half-cock. Walther (PPs, PPKs, P38s, P01s, all discontinued), Beretta, and Ruger (discontinued) pistols are the only two that I'm aware of that drop the hammer all the way. SiG, CZ, and H&K double-actions - all current production - all drop them to half-cock. I honestly don't remember whether my S&W 4506 dropped the hammer to half-cock or not, but I'm reasonably certain that it did (the 3913TSW I've handled much more recently was a DAO and the hammer returned to half-cock after each shot, IIRC), and I think the Makarov drops the hammer to half-cock as well (I've only briefly handled one that belonged to a friend, so I don't properly recall).

Interesting. Since Ruger and Beretta are close to half my DA/SA experience, that colors my view.

However, you said that Sig P22x pistols drop to half cock. I'm not sure if I have an oddball, but I have a 1989 manufacture (per serial # research) "West Germany" Sig P226 that seems to have a rebounding hammer that drops to the one and only fired position when the decocking lever is used, and I haven't noticed a half-cock hammer position in manual cocking. Is this not how they are today? Do I have an ordinary one from 1989 or something unusual?

MountainRaven
04-22-17, 20:46
Interesting. Since Ruger and Beretta are close to half my DA/SA experience, that colors my view.

However, you said that Sig P22x pistols drop to half cock. I'm not sure if I have an oddball, but I have a 1989 manufacture (per serial # research) "West Germany" Sig P226 that seems to have a rebounding hammer that drops to the one and only fired position when the decocking lever is used, and I haven't noticed a half-cock hammer position in manual cocking. Is this not how they are today? Do I have an ordinary one from 1989 or something unusual?

The hammer on the SiGs rebound to a de facto half-cock notch.

Mysteryman
04-22-17, 21:08
Its abundantly clear that as times have changed, so have firearm preferences. This year saw the adoption of the Sig P320 as the next US Military sidearm, ending a 116 year period of using hammer fired sidearms as the "official" sidearm. I'm not much one for nostalgia, but I do find the trend interesting. It's clear that the market demand for striker fired guns is at an all time high, with CZ, Beretta and FN introducing new models in the past 6 months alone. We also have Sig, Walther, HK, Canik, Steyr, Ruger, Remington, (insert favorite brand here) that have all introduced their ideal version of the "Glock killer" striker fired handgun.

I'm curious how many of you in here still carry and prefer to shoot hammer fired guns? I'm not limiting this to one category; it could be a 1911, a DA/SA (any brand), HK LEM, whatever. If you do carry a hammer fired gun, regardless of what it is, I'd be curious to hear your specific reasons why.

On the same token, if you carry a striker fired gun, regardless of brand, I'd also like to hear why as opposed to a DA/SA or 1911. I'd like to leave "fanboy-ism" out of this thread if possible.

If all you've ever shot is striker fired guns and have never tried a hammer fired gun please post up as well.

There is no additional margin of "safety" with a hammer fired gun. If you aren't shooting and/or haven't made the decision to fire, then your finger should be nowhere near the trigger. SA, DA, DAO, DA/SA it doesn't matter, if your finger isn't on the trigger the gun doesn't go off. This is a training issue.

^ This pretty much sums up my thought process as well.

Cocked and locked 1911 style may be safe enough, but requires manually flipping off the safety, something that could be screwed up in a panic situation. (even though men that carry .45 don't panic)

Striker fired is ready to go and even a t-shirt getting caught in the trigger can result in the loss of your favorite parts when carrying AIWB.

DA/SA strikes a nice balance of no external safety to manipulate and long first trigger pull from a decocked hammer.

Thumbing the hammer makes it impossible to fire.

The combination is very safe, yet very easy to deploy.

Catching a garment in your trigger guard is unlikely and is again a training issue. Doing so is no more difficult than forgetting to decock your DA/SA gun. So you're trading one so called negative for another.

A striker fired gun like a Glock is the easy choice. Simple, light weight, large capacity and works when needed by simply pressing the trigger which has a consistent trigger pull for every single round fired unlike a DA/SA gun.

By comparison a Glock has the following going for it that a DA/SA gun does not.

lighter
smaller(dimensions)
Fewer parts
Lower bore axis
Consistent trigger pull
No manual safety/decocker
Equal or more capacity(dependent on model)
Cross compatible magazines(and often holsters) from full size to compact and sub compact

MM

ubet
04-25-17, 08:11
I like the feel and shoot 1911s the best of anything I've shot. Have a sig p220 da/sa that was my first semi auto. Don't like the trigger on it, nor how it feels in my hands especially when compared to a mid to high end 1911.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

556BlackRifle
04-25-17, 10:06
I usually carry a striker fired weapon however, I've trained extensively with hammer fired and would be totally comfortable carrying one if need be. My primary is a G19.

Diamondback
04-25-17, 10:10
For me,. it's that the 1911 fits my hand as if Browning and whoever designed the A1 mainspring arch sculpted it and the bones of my hand around one another. Glocks don't naturally "point" right for me, Berettas hurt my wrist to just hold never mind fire, and while the time-span is much shorter than some here it's what I've been carrying almost every day of my adult life.

The fact that that carry started because of a young lady with a nasty stalker problem being entrusted to my overwatch, paired with the fact that at the time I lived in the Meth Lab Capital of the USA, prompted the members of the local SWAT team who I was usually sharing the range with to tell me "get your CPL and nothing less than a .45, and we'll teach you what you need to know to keep that girl safe." (For clarity, I had been shooting with them using rental iron, I didn't start packing until I had the permit.) It worked, neither of us have seen A**wipe Stalker Ex since where 911 and Restraining Order failed... that was around fifteen years ago, and we've long parted ways, but it's the reason this particular 1911 will only leave my hands when it's pried from them cold and dead.

MSparks909
04-25-17, 11:11
There is no additional margin of "safety" with a hammer fired gun. If you aren't shooting and/or haven't made the decision to fire, then your finger should be nowhere near the trigger. SA, DA, DAO, DA/SA it doesn't matter, if your finger isn't on the trigger the gun doesn't go off. This is a training issue.

Catching a garment in your trigger guard is unlikely and is again a training issue. Doing so is no more difficult than forgetting to decock your DA/SA gun. So you're trading one so called negative for another.

A striker fired gun like a Glock is the easy choice. Simple, light weight, large capacity and works when needed by simply pressing the trigger which has a consistent trigger pull for every single round fired unlike a DA/SA gun.

By comparison a Glock has the following going for it that a DA/SA gun does not.

lighter
smaller(dimensions)
Fewer parts
Lower bore axis
Consistent trigger pull
No manual safety/decocker
Equal or more capacity(dependent on model)
Cross compatible magazines(and often holsters) from full size to compact and sub compact

MM

I own 8 Glocks. I shoot them fine and have carried them in the past. I know the benefits they have going for them, but for my personal use I've switched to a DA/SA gun (mostly Berettas) and feel they more adequately meet my needs and wants in a carry gun.

There's very select occasions where I'll reach for a Glock over a Beretta or Sig, and that's only because of how easy it is to detail strip a Glock if I were to get it wet or muddy, etc. It's a pain to detail strip a Beretta or Sig, but I still reach for a TDA for 95% of my carry situations.

MegademiC
04-25-17, 12:11
I went the other way, started with da/sa cz. Changed it to a sao with a sweet trigger.

Got tired of lack of aftermarket support ( was a 75 compact 40), especially magazines for carry. Got tired of training to make sure I didn't miss the safety. It only happened once in a few thousand rounds, but I still didn't like it. One less thing to worry about.

Went with an m&p 40, quit worrying about triggers and have been happy. My shoozing improved. I still think about a g19 sometimes.

I'd like to have a nice sti 2011, but it will never happen.
For safety, I use a vg2 and 3 for carry, so no worry about shooting myself during a reholstering.

lowprone
04-25-17, 13:52
I never really warmed up to striker fired pistols, except for the HK P7 PSP.

Jormungandr
04-27-17, 02:03

MM

You can use a P226 mag in a P229 or a P224. Same with holsters, I carry a P224 in a P226 holster.

Pilot1
04-27-17, 07:02
I grew up with hammer fired guns, so that is all I knew, and became comfortable with them at an early age. The only striker fired guns I've owned, and still own are a HK P7M8, and P7 PSP that I was fortunate enough to acquire many years ago before the prices got crazy. I still carry the PSP, but less, and less as I gravitate to my hammer fired, DA/SA CZ PCR so much which I have also owned for 17 years. It works for me, so I don't fool with much else these days for concealed carry at least. For HD it is its big brother a 75B, or 75 pre-b.

So yes, I still like a hammer on my gun, and all metal construction. Nothing wrong with striker fired, polymer, just not my cup of tea.

Canonshooter
04-29-17, 13:40
I regularly carry a Walther PPS because it's easy and comfortable to conceal, and I can shoot it well enough for SD. But I also have a 5906 that I bought new, immediately sent back to S&W for some tweaking but has otherwise been a safe queen. I dug it out today to become reacquainted with the "old gal" which at this point probably has less than 400 rounds through it. It was original acquired for my wife, she fired it once and that was it.

So, 25 years later how can I shoot it compared to the Walther and my G17 (I shoot both about the same)? Would it be worth buying some nice leather for?

Manchester Firing Line (https://www.gunsnh.com/), NH

All shooting conducted at maximum range distance of 60 feet, unsupported standing 2-hand.

Ammo used = Blazer 124 grain FMJ Aluminum

No warm up, no practice, 21 shots total "slow fire."

Targets in order of shooting (top to bottom);

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/5906target-1.jpg
5906, SA only, 5 shots

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/5906target-2.jpg
5906, DA only, 5 shots

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/5906target-3.jpg
5906, DA first shot, SA follow-up shot, 6 shots (2-shot pairs)

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/5906target-4.jpg
PPS, 5 shots

Obeservations;

Huge smiles - the 5906 is an absolute joy to shoot!

I achieved the best precision consistency with SA.

Having participated in the 80s in a PPC league with a Model 14, I truly enjoy shooting DA! With some work, I could probably eliminate the DA flyers with the 5906.

The DA-SA trigger transition is not difficult but I need work manipulating the de-cocker.

I can shoot a few magazines with the PPS well enough for SD, but I fatigue very quickly with it. It feels "snappy" in the hand compared to the 5906.

Yes, the old gal is going to look mighty hot in her new Milt Sparks 55BN tan holster!

Mysteryman
04-30-17, 19:23
I own 8 Glocks. I shoot them fine and have carried them in the past. I know the benefits they have going for them, but for my personal use I've switched to a DA/SA gun (mostly Berettas) and feel they more adequately meet my needs and wants in a carry gun.

There's very select occasions where I'll reach for a Glock over a Beretta or Sig, and that's only because of how easy it is to detail strip a Glock if I were to get it wet or muddy, etc. It's a pain to detail strip a Beretta or Sig, but I still reach for a TDA for 95% of my carry situations.

Can you elaborate on the bold please.

MM

bear13
04-30-17, 20:39
Can you elaborate on the bold please.

MM

I would imagine. Size, holster position carry, hammer for holstering, shootability, capacity, accessories

MSparks909
04-30-17, 22:27
I would imagine. Size, holster position carry, hammer for holstering, shootability, capacity, accessories

Pretty much. I carry appendix so I like placing my thumb on an external hammer. I'm aware of the Striker Control Device for Glocks, but that wasn't around 2 years ago when I switched to hammer guns. I prefer the DA first shot. I roll through it as I complete the press out portion of my draw. I personally find the ergonomics of the Beretta TDA guns (both the 92 series and PX4 series) to fit me better than any other gun I've tried. Never have a failure to lock open caused by riding the slide release (which I sometimes do with even the factory Glock lever). I find them more shootable than Glocks and other striker guns. Once I get through the first DA pull, which on my particular guns is 8-9# and butter smooth, I have a nice crisp 4# SA for the remaining shots. Compared to a spongy crappy 6-7# actual weight Glock trigger press, I'll take the TDA guns every day.