PDA

View Full Version : Quick access "safe"

dmaxfireman
04-21-17, 16:22
I read some of the older threads on quick access "safes" but am wondering what those of you with kids are using nowadays. I have my first due in just a couple days and sometime in the next year I will have a curious mini-me getting into everything he can get his little paws on.

The most recent thread I could find was 3-4 years old and am looking to see if technology has changed or advanced at all.

Ideally looking for 2 safes one for a pistol and another for a long gun. I prefer a mechanical lock, simplex style. One will be bolted to the side of the bed frame and hold a G17 with light and a spare mag. And a second I would like to mount in a closet, preferably between studs, and hold either a carbine or shotgun.

nml
04-21-17, 16:30
Can't you just put it up out of reach

Pi3
04-21-17, 16:38
I came across this, but have no experience with it.

http://www.nashvillesafehouse.com/product/v-line-closet-vault/

Sensei
04-21-17, 17:01
Can't you just put it up out of reach

Jesus Christ. You must not like kids. That folks is why your pediatrician asks you about unsecured guns...

I read some of the older threads on quick access "safes" but am wondering what those of you with kids are using nowadays. I have my first due in just a couple days and sometime in the next year I will have a curious mini-me getting into everything he can get his little paws on.

The most recent thread I could find was 3-4 years old and am looking to see if technology has changed or advanced at all.

Ideally looking for 2 safes one for a pistol and another for a long gun. I prefer a mechanical lock, simplex style. One will be bolted to the side of the bed frame and hold a G17 with light and a spare mag. And a second I would like to mount in a closet, preferably between studs, and hold either a carbine or shotgun.

This is what I have under my bed.

http://www.amsecusa.com/product/dv652/

Like all other quick access storage devices, it is a deterrent to kids less than 12 that offers no real burglary or fire protection. A determined robber or Columbine Kid WILL gain access if you give them a hammer, crow bar, and 10 minutes.

WickedWillis
04-21-17, 18:06
Jesus Christ. You must not like kids. That folks is why your pediatrician asks you about unsecured guns...

Like all other quick access storage devices, it is a deterrent to kids less than 12 that offers no real burglary or fire protection. A determined robber or Columbine Kid WILL gain access if you give them a hammer, crow bar, and 10 minutes.

Mind me asking what those range in price Sensei?

Rayrevolver
04-21-17, 18:21

Too much, I am sure! Amsec is nice though, I have a BF series.

I really want to get one of these FAS1 safes and mount it to my bed frame. They have models that accept suppressed pistols as well. But I have zero experience with them and to be honest can't remember how I got on their email list.

http://www.fas1safe.com/

Suppressed Pistol:
http://products.fas1safe.com/product.sc;jsessionid=6EF2330D6D68517DE314AFC0D433E37E.p3plqscsfapp004?productId=16&categoryId=1

I bet they have a 4th of July sale on the order of 10-15% off.

nml
04-21-17, 18:49
Jesus Christ. You must not like kids. That folks is why your pediatrician asks you about unsecured guns...So your concern is the baby climbing to the top of the bookshelf in the middle of night and finding his carry gun? He made it sound like he was looking for somewhere to put his pistol at night where it was easy to get to when he needed it.

Sensei
04-21-17, 20:00

About $400 including shipping on Amazon.

FlyingHunter
04-21-17, 20:39
Go ahead and invest in a real safe. The time it takes to gain access is nominal. That time also allows you a chance to gain a safe level of situational awareness. Buy a model one size bigger than you think you will need. Security for your family should be layered and designed in a manner that promotes early threat detection. Congratulations on the new family member.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-22-17, 09:04
Go ahead and invest in a real safe. The time it takes to gain access is nominal. That time also allows you a chance to gain a safe level of situational awareness. Buy a model one size bigger than you think you will need. Security for your family should be layered and designed in a manner that promotes early threat detection. Congratulations on the new family member.

This isn't quite the best advice. I have a real safe, but it was too big to bring into the upstairs master so it lives in my garage. I have also been looking for something a little more quick access to keep either a rifle or pistol in my bedroom. No need to spend another $2k for one gun storage.

dmaxfireman
04-22-17, 09:09
Already have a full size, thanks anyway. I started this thread asking specifically for a small quick access safe to prevent a child from having access to, a ready to go, pistol and long gun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JoshNC
04-22-17, 13:20

Exactly. As gun owners we have a duty to properly secure our firearms. If everyone would see this, it would take some of the wind out of the collective sails of the gun prohibition movement.

Rayrevolver
04-22-17, 16:03
About $400 including shipping on Amazon.

Ok, thats not bad considering the $300 for the smaller safe I linked.

Hmm, the AMSEC might be the thing to keep the suppressed SBR in the bedroom. The battery powered locks make me nervous though.

Sensei
04-22-17, 18:56
Ok, thats not bad considering the $300 for the smaller safe I linked.

Hmm, the AMSEC might be the thing to keep the suppressed SBR in the bedroom. The battery powered locks make me nervous though.

Call AMSEC because there are multiple lock options including the Group II Combination lock.

I'm fine with the electronic lock. It runs off a 9 volt battery. I change mine every 9 months or so, and I open the safe at least twice daily. It will chime at you if it gets too low. The lock has a lockout feature and will not allow entry for 15 min if you enter the combination wrong more than 5 times in a row.

Buckaroo
04-22-17, 22:50
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/secureit-tactical-harrier-fast-box-firearm-storage?a=1784635

SecureIt Tactical Harrier Fast Box Firearm Storage - 621475, Gun Cabinets & Racks at Sportsman's Guide $260 for non-members

Don't have one but this thread prompted me to look.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

dmaxfireman
04-23-17, 17:19
OK I'm leaning towards the FAS1 for the pistol. Now I am still looking for the long gun. Still prefer in a closet between the studs. Does anybody have experience with one of these? Specs make it look a little flimsy. But I have not handled one to know for sure. http://vlineind.com/ProductDetail.php?product_id=70

RWK
04-23-17, 18:58
OK I'm leaning towards the FAS1 for the pistol. Now I am still looking for the long gun. Still prefer in a closet between the studs. Does anybody have experience with one of these? Specs make it look a little flimsy. But I have not handled one to know for sure. http://vlineind.com/ProductDetail.php?product_id=70

Manage your expectations. Anything other than a truly burglary-rated safe is going to be a "residential security container", at best. It will not stand up to an attacker with a modicum of time and basic hand tools. It's simply a container to keep little hands from having easy access to a firearm.

Ryno12
04-23-17, 19:30

I have a similar cabinet. It works well for what it is. I have little kids at home too & it's perfect for my needs.

Install it in a closet, paint it gray, and put a "Square D" or "Cutler Hammer" emblems on it. No one will be none the wiser. [emoji6]

26 Inf
04-23-17, 19:37
Thought this was interesting, found it in the reviews here: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...rage?a=1784635

The flaw: A common hack for opening electronic safes is to fish a bent metal rod, bar, or stiff wire around the door, hit the reset button, then reset the access code and open the safe. The same can be done with the Fast Box as it has numerous mounting holes on each side and vent holes on the back.

The fix: Take off the cap of any plastic soda or drink bottle and use a hack saw to cut off the threaded top. Even out the bottom of the threaded top with sandpaper, then use JB Weld to glue that threaded top around the red reset button inside the cabinet -- be sure that you can still close the door without interference. Let it cure and you're done. Take the cap and screw it onto the threads. Now someone can poke around all they want and they won't be able to reset the code, and with a screw top cap you'll have access to change the code whenever you want. A few cents and few minutes invested.

Buckaroo
04-23-17, 19:52
Thanks 26 Inf! That's great information

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

dmaxfireman
04-24-17, 08:30
I have a similar cabinet. It works well for what it is. I have little kids at home too & it's perfect for my needs.

Install it in a closet, paint it gray, and put a "Square D" or "Cutler Hammer" emblems on it. No one will be none the wiser. [emoji6]
Now that is they type of info I'm looking for. I love the "hidden in plain sight" idea.

usmcvet
04-24-17, 13:46
This isn't quite the best advice. I have a real safe, but it was too big to bring into the upstairs master so it lives in my garage. I have also been looking for something a little more quick access to keep either a rifle or pistol in my bedroom. No need to spend another $2k for one gun storage.

Is it bolted down? I need to bolt mine down.

I won't buy an electronic quick access box yet. I wish my large safe was push button. The next one I buy may have the dual dial, electoonic and standard. I have this VLine under my bed for a long gun. https://www.amazon.com/V-Line-Quick-Access-Keyless-42-Inch/dp/B000T2A6BW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1493059182&sr=1-1&keywords=V-Line+31242-SA+Rifle+Case

I have an AmSec pushbuton pistol safe I bought in 1992. The foam fell apart but the safe is still good to go. I would buy this one of these today if buying just for a pistol.

https://www.amazon.com/Fort-Knox-Handgun-Safe-Pistol/dp/B00V6TDX4E/ref=pd_sim_60_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00V6TDX4E&pd_rd_r=7XAHG1S4FTTNGJE89P05&pd_rd_w=rFCnk&pd_rd_wg=s9Xnh&psc=1&refRID=7XAHG1S4FTTNGJE89P05

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0075QMCNK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_18?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3UAGYSEPP3KE4

That's a great idea.

BrigandTwoFour
04-25-17, 20:56
I have one of the FAS-1 safes within reaching distance of my bed. I like it a lot. My main "must have" requirement was no batteries and the ability for me to open the safe with one hand, in the dark. The cypher lock configuration lets me do that.

Moose-Knuckle
04-26-17, 03:50
For those of you who keep a primary handgun for home defense in a dedicated handgun safe in your bedroom, what do you do if say your watching a movie on the couch in the living / family room?

Wear a holster while gun is on person?

TF82
04-26-17, 12:56
For some handguns, I've had really good luck with my Viking biometric that I got off of Amazon. I've actually been meaning to do a review on it. It seems that if you treat the fingerprint set up like setting up an iPhone fingerprint ID and just use like 4 fingers it works pretty well. The only time it ever has rejected my fingerprint is when I was really lazy about pressing my finger on it. It also has a battery life indicator and a light inside as well as a set of emergency back up keys. I keep it bolted onto a Stack On eight gun. Neither of these are legit burglary resistant safes but they keep the kids out and should hold up to the quick and unprofessional burglaries that go on where I live.

skywalkrNCSU
04-26-17, 12:58
For those of you who keep a primary handgun for home defense in a dedicated handgun safe in your bedroom, what do you do if say your watching a movie on the couch in the living / family room?

I take the incredibly small likelihood of someone not only breaking into my house at that time but breaking into it so fast that I can't run to the bedroom into account and leave my gun in the bedroom.

26 Inf
04-26-17, 17:03

I have one dog right now, generally we've had two.

I don't arm up to watch TV, although I don't disarm myself if I come in and sit right down.

Moose-Knuckle
04-27-17, 04:25
I take the incredibly small likelihood of someone not only breaking into my house at that time but breaking into it so fast that I can't run to the bedroom into account and leave my gun in the bedroom.

I can't find it now, but there is a home CCTV video from May 5th 2011 where SIX burglars all ARMED with handguns kicked in a locked door to commit a home invasion. It took them nine seconds to kick in the locked door and file into the house. It happens that quick.

Luckily in that case the home owner was armed and met them with a volley of fire.

Years ago when my wife and I had a conversation about such things I told her that if she left her G19 in the bedroom, even out on the nightstand and not locked in our handgun safe that she would still not have time to run to the bedroom and get it before the invaders would be on top of her.

Security is about layers, giving you time before they get to you. Putting enough obstacles they have to defeat between you and them to give you time. A good door with the proper hardware and frame will not simply be kicked in like we see in all these viral videos.

Even though I have multiple layers in place, I still always have my dedicated G17 house gun with in arms reach while chalaxing in my casa.

skywalkrNCSU
04-27-17, 08:20
I can't find it now, but there is a home CCTV video from May 5th 2011 where SIX burglars all ARMED with handguns kicked in a locked door to commit a home invasion. It took them nine seconds to kick in the locked door and file into the house. It happens that quick.

Luckily in that case the home owner was armed and met them with a volley of fire.

Years ago when my wife and I had a conversation about such things I told her that if she left her G19 in the bedroom, even out on the nightstand and not locked in our handgun safe that she would still not have time to run to the bedroom and get it before the invaders would be on top of her.

Security is about layers, giving you time before they get to you. Putting enough obstacles they have to defeat between you and them to give you time. A good door with the proper hardware and frame will not simply be kicked in like we see in all these viral videos.

Even though I have multiple layers in place, I still always have my dedicated G17 house gun with in arms reach while chalaxing in my casa.

And almost all home invasions like that are drug or crime related, not just random hits. The chances of someone busting down your door at random is so incredibly slim it is statistically zero. Do you ever take a shower when your wife is gone? Seems like that would leave you rather vulnerable.

ace4059
04-27-17, 23:45
I was in the same boat a few years ago. I have a good fire rated safe but needed a quick access gun storage to keep the kids out.

I got a Barska biometric pistol safe. It works and does its job. Nothing great but no complaints. It is bigger than I expected and will not fit in my dresser drawer. It is heavy so it might do a number of the hardware of a drawer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004FO37AC/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1493354199&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=barska+biometric+safe&dpPl=1&dpID=41qdWjghJFL&ref=plSrch

You might look at this. I'm thinking about the secure it brand for a cheap closet safe.
https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/best-hidden-gun-safe/

Moose-Knuckle
04-28-17, 03:05
And almost all home invasions like that are drug or crime related, not just random hits. The chances of someone busting down your door at random is so incredibly slim it is statistically zero.

YouTube alone has hundreds of such videos where the victims of such burglaries/robberies were not "drug dealers". Not to mention the crime data available online.

Do you have . . .

A smoke alarm?

A home owners insurance policy?

Fire extinguisher(s)?

Seat belt?

Locks on your door?

Why bother with any of that, statistically you won't need them.

Do you ever take a shower when your wife is gone? Seems like that would leave you rather vulnerable.

Your quip indicates to me you're of the "bad things don't happen to good people" and or "it won't happen to me" mindset, that's cool.

skywalkrNCSU
04-28-17, 08:13
YouTube alone has hundreds of such videos where the victims of such burglaries/robberies were not "drug dealers". Not to mention the crime data available online.

Do you have . . .

A smoke alarm?

A home owners insurance policy?

Fire extinguisher(s)?

Seat belt?

Locks on your door?

Why bother with any of that, statistically you won't need them.

Your quip indicates to me you're of the "bad things don't happen to good people" and or "it won't happen to me" mindset, that's cool.

The crime data shows that it does happen overwhelmingly to people involved in the drug trade and in criminal activity. If I thought bad things don't happen to good people I wouldn't have quick access weapons in my home, I'm just not paranoid enough to think someone is going to bust down my door before I can either run out the back and escape or run to where I have my gun. Again, do you shower with a firearm?

I have smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher because they are cheap and easy insurance policies. I don't have a fire extinguisher in every room and I don't keep one on my belt while watching a movie because it's more than likely unnecessary.

I don't really care if you're decked out in body armor 24/7, that's your deal, if you look at the statistics and use some common sense you will see that it is an incredibly rare thing unless you are involved in illegal activities.

Scrubber3
04-28-17, 08:46
do you shower with a firearm?

I do! I shower with a firearm!

Well, depending on what your definition of "firearm" is.. Personally, I call it a cannon.

skywalkrNCSU
04-28-17, 08:51
I do! I shower with a firearm!

Well, depending on what your definition of "firearm" is.. Personally, I call it a cannon.

This. This is an excellent comment. Touché sir.

26 Inf
04-28-17, 09:20
The crime data shows that it does happen overwhelmingly to people involved in the drug trade and in criminal activity. If I thought bad things don't happen to good people I wouldn't have quick access weapons in my home, I'm just not paranoid enough to think someone is going to bust down my door before I can either run out the back and escape or run to where I have my gun. Again, do you shower with a firearm?

I have smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher because they are cheap and easy insurance policies. I don't have a fire extinguisher in every room and I don't keep one on my belt while watching a movie because it's more than likely unnecessary.

I don't really care if you're decked out in body armor 24/7, that's your deal, if you look at the statistics and use some common sense you will see that it is an incredibly rare thing unless you are involved in illegal activities.

I believe people tend to accentuate the risks related to intentional violent acts more than other risks regardless of statistical significance. At least that is the way I take it.

As a young officer I observed that many officers were focused on the dramatic rather than solid, low key professionalism in tactics and demeanor. The same holds true of the general population.

I know a couple of folks who won't leave home without a gun, and of course their Marlboro's. IDK which is riskier, running around nekkid without a gun or smoking, as a never smoker I have my thoughts on the matter.

I have a friend that logs over 20,000 miles a year on his motorcycle, but will not fly because it is too dangerous. We are could ALL be described as irrational on some subject.

Moose-Knuckle
04-29-17, 04:55
The crime data shows that it does happen overwhelmingly to people involved in the drug trade and in criminal activity.

Could you provide a link to this crime data you speak of showing the vast majority of victims of home invasions are "in the drug trade and in criminal activity"?

If I thought bad things don't happen to good people I wouldn't have quick access weapons in my home, . . .

Your definition of "quick access" is peculiar.

I'm just not paranoid enough to think someone is going to bust down my door before I can either run out the back and escape or run to where I have my gun.

Um, well you see the whole of idea of personal firearm ownership and home defense in general is so one does not have to, as you put it "run out the back and escape".

Again, do you shower with a firearm?

Well if I told you, I'd have to . . . well you know.

So statistically speaking you might just have a need for those items . . . huh.

Who said anything about body armor? Since you broached the subject matter, you do realize that you are on M4C right? Anyone who has spent more than a month on here reading threads would realize that we have members who have full kit; PCs, canned SBRs, IR, and NODs for their home defense set-up.

Common sense dictates that I have a firearm within reach while I'm in my home and not upstairs in a safe or clear on the other side of the house. It also demands that I don't "run and escape out the back" thus abandoning my wife, child, and Earthy possessions to the savage hoard.

skywalkrNCSU
04-29-17, 06:54
I'm not going to go research and pull data to try to convince you of something you clearly don't care about. If you actually care you can do the leg work, and no, the fact that YouTube videos exist don't make it a common occurrence. If a murderous hoard of bad guys descends upon my quiet, unassuming, middle class home with very few non-firearm valuables close by to other homes of much higher wealth I'll be sure to say you told me so.

Eurodriver
04-29-17, 08:11
Oh no. Who set the Moose loose?

I washed my bike out in my front yard today - while all of my firearms are in my safe.

According to M4C I should be raped, HIV+, and dead right now.

dmaxfireman
04-29-17, 08:13
And this thread is officially porked