PDA

View Full Version : H&k Experts need your input

white spaniard
09-26-08, 22:42
Hi I am in the market for a new.45, and the two choices are the H&K USP .45 and the H&K45. They look and feel siminlar but the hk45 is about 150.00 more is the hk45 worth the extra $$?

IrishDevil
09-26-08, 23:34
HK45 all the way, the USP45 is years behind in ergos. The HK45 is an improved USP45. With the HK45, P30, and P2000 out there, the USP series is obsolete.

ToddG
09-27-08, 10:45
The HK45 is worth far more than $150 over a USP45. The extra cost will be invisible over the course of the gun's service life, but the improvements in ergonomics and capability will be with you every single time you pull the trigger.

No brainer: HK45

FlyingHunter
09-27-08, 19:47
HK45 all the way. It has replaced my 1911 as primary carry. Great ergo's, goes bang every time with no mods, 2nd strike capable. Get a holster from the Malabar front - Jay the owner is GTG and his holsters are the bomb.

John_Wayne777
09-27-08, 19:49
There's no comparison for me: The HK45 is a vastly superior option to the USP .45. The USP .45 has the ergos of a brick. The HK45 fits the hand much better than the USP .45.

Face_N_The_Crowd
09-27-08, 20:36
Can you set up an H&K .45 as a single action only (USP V9 IIRC)?

BushmasterFanBoy
09-27-08, 21:21
Can you set up an H&K .45 as a single action only (USP V9 IIRC)?
Currently, NO.
But they are coming I believe. The funny thing is, I've never accidentally de-cocked my HK USP .40 S&W (Variant 1), but I have accidentally de-cocked my HK45 once.

As to the original poster, the HK45 in my opinion, is the best feeling handgun I have ever held so far. It fits my particular hand very well and my pistol has yet to experience a malfunction; aside from the slide slamming shut when you forcefully insert a loaded magazine :D.

Joe R.
09-27-08, 22:16
aside from the slide slamming shut when you forcefully insert a loaded magazine :D.

This is common on several polymer frame pistols. It most often occurs due to seating the magazine at an angle IE: the palm of the support hand is striking the mag base pad at a forward angle rather then straight into the gun. This allows the slide to dislodge from the slide stop. I can do it on demand in a Glock and HK USP. The problem is that the slide will NOT always pick up a round from the mag, especially after the mag springs start to get a bit worn. As a result I do NOT recommend training this in as a way to avoid manually cambering a round.

Of course then there's the point that you only need to seat the mag firmly enough to allow the mag catch to lock, not hard enough to drive the mag through the slide...

ToddG
09-28-08, 09:41
Of course then there's the point that you only need to seat the mag firmly enough to allow the mag catch to lock, not hard enough to drive the mag through the slide...

Bingo! Every time I teach a class, invariably there will be one or two students who've "learned" this "cool trick" that works "every time" with their Glock/M&P/HK. And just as invariably, during the course of the class, either the slide won't auto-forward during a timed test or it will fail to pick up the top round on the magazine, costing the student time and bragging rights.

Something that works 99% of the time when you're calm having fun on a square range is going to work 9% of the time under stress. :cool:

Face_N_The_Crowd
09-28-08, 11:24
Currently, NO.
But they are coming I believe. The funny thing is, I've never accidentally de-cocked my HK USP .40 S&W (Variant 1), but I have accidentally de-cocked my HK45 once.

I have been casually looking for one of these in a store to check out but to date I have never seen one. I might be interested if it could be C&L and if someone like Teddy Jacobson could yard all of the slack out of the trigger and give it a 4# break. That and if I could read several reviews of mine has 50k or 75k through it and here is what I have experienced; along with - it took a dump and here is what H&K did for me.

BushmasterFanBoy
09-28-08, 14:15
Something that works 99% of the time when you're calm having fun on a square range is going to work 9% of the time under stress. :cool:

Yea that's why I added the smiley.
It's a fun little trick to show friends on the range, but I certainly don't make a habit of doing it. I've heard the same thing that you mentioned from numerous other internet posts, and I agree that something could easily go wrong with it. I'm honestly surprised the pistol doesn't suffer some sort of malfunction from doing it, but so far it has worked the ten or so times I've done it. But, that doesn't mean it always will and that's why I don't do it when I am "practicing".

white spaniard
09-28-08, 17:02
Thanks everyone for replys will be looking at getting the HK45.

HK45
10-04-08, 00:54
Not just polymer frame pistols.

This is common on several polymer frame pistols.

HK45
10-04-08, 00:56
Go to CDNN for the best price. I have seen them as low as $750.

Also the HK Forum is here;
http://hkpro.com/forum/index.php

The HK 45 grip is much better than the USP but the slide has also been reshaped so it is not as wide and blocky. I was never much of an HK guy until the HK 45, HK 45c, and P30 came out. Now I can't think of any other pistol I would rather own and shoot.

Thanks everyone for replys will be looking at getting the HK45.

ghideon
10-04-08, 01:10
Dunno diddly bout HK vs USP, but I have a USP9c and a P2000 9mm, and they are very similar to each other (same holsters, mags, etc). The P2K feels noticeably better in hand than the USPc. I can only imagine that the difference is even more noticeable between the HK and the USP full sized models.