PDA

View Full Version : Dunkirk: new feature length film

Moose-Knuckle
04-23-17, 05:32
2017 is turning out to be a banner year for new movies.

I can't remember a year in recent memory that has more movies of interest to me.

Amazing cast as well . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-eMt3SrfFU

Pilot1
04-23-17, 06:13
Certainly not a Hollywood type production. Kenneth Branagh is usually associated with quality stuff. A truly amazing story when Brits actually fought back.

Campbell
04-23-17, 07:03
I may go to the theatre for this one👍

Dienekes
04-23-17, 09:54
Count me in.

Can I bring my Lee-Enfield #1 MkIII * into the theatre with me?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-23-17, 10:20
Ive been waiting for this one since I heard rumors of it's filming.

TaterTot
04-23-17, 19:36
Looks epic!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

eightmillimeter
04-23-17, 20:19
With a score by Hans Zimmer it will be one for the ages.

SteyrAUG
04-23-17, 23:59
Hope they did it justice.

donlapalma
04-24-17, 08:37
I have high hopes for this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Watrdawg
04-24-17, 09:25
Definitely one I'm going to see.

titsonritz
04-24-17, 12:04
I saw the preview when I went to see Logan, looks real good.

usmcvet
04-24-17, 14:06
This looks like it will be a good movie.

DirectTo
05-05-17, 11:58
Bump this to add another trailer that just came out.

https://youtu.be/T7O7BtBnsG4

Moose-Knuckle
05-06-17, 04:06
^ Badass.

Good to know it's getting an IMAX release.

Benito
05-07-17, 00:23
Hmmmm, interesting.
I wonder how Hollywood producers/propagandists are going to sh1t on Hitler and da eeeevil Nazis here. I mean, if he was so evil/bellicose/insane, then surely he would have finished off the British.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll think of something.

Arik
05-07-17, 08:07
Hmmmm, interesting.
I wonder how Hollywood producers/propagandists are going to sh1t on Hitler and da eeeevil Nazis here. I mean, if he was so evil/bellicose/insane, then surely he would have finished off the British.

Neh he was a good man. Just misunderstood. Why did the US go to war against Germany?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Benito
05-07-17, 09:25
Neh he was a good man. Just misunderstood. Why did the US go to war against Germany?

It might have something to do with bankers and big $$$, the driving force behind most/all modern wars.

Arik
05-07-17, 09:49
Right. Like I said. A good man! Meant well for everyone

Pilot1
05-07-17, 09:54

One of Hitler's biggest mistakes (of many) was declaring war on the U.S. after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, being allies in the Axis with Japan, and Italy,

Arik
05-07-17, 09:56
One of Hitler's biggest mistakes (of many) was declaring war on the U.S. after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, being allies in the Axis with Japan, and Italy,
I know. It wasn't my point. If the Nazis were such nice people there wouldn't have been a war.

Pilot1
05-07-17, 10:02
I know. It wasn't my point. If the Nazis were such nice people there wouldn't have been a war.

I understand. Yes the Nazi leadership, and their henchmen were ruthless, and needed to be dealt with. We would have been fighting in Europe no matter what, but Pearl accelerated the act.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-07-17, 10:30
Hmmmm, interesting.

Serious question, are you a facist? Unless I am missing some real dark/dry humor, you seem to be constantly advocating for facism and now sticking up for ol Adolf.....

Benito
05-07-17, 11:42

If you think "we" went to war against Germany because Hitler was a "bad man", then why did we ally with Stalin/USSR/Bolsheviks?
Stalin killed 10 times more people than Hitler, even if you accept the numbers put forward by the propagandists.

It is a but juvenile and historically naive to believe nations go to war because people are bad and good.

Serious question, are you a facist? Unless I am missing some real dark/dry humor, you seem to be constantly advocating for facism and now sticking up for ol Adolf.....

I'm sticking up for facts. You can read into that all you want.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-07-17, 20:14
If you think "we" went to war against Germany because Hitler was a "bad man", then why did we ally with Stalin/USSR/Bolsheviks?
Stalin killed 10 times more people than Hitler, even if you accept the numbers put forward by the propagandists.

It is a but juvenile and historically naive to believe nations go to war because people are bad and good.

I'm sticking up for facts. You can read into that all you want.

No, you're right. Hitler was cool, Nazi's were a'ight, and facism is the way to go! I always assumed you're real name was simply Benito, I did not think it stood for your admiration of Mr. Mussolini.

I don't agree with your stance or worldviews, but I support your right to hold the, and tell us about them.

Benito
05-07-17, 20:53
No, you're right. Hitler was cool, Nazi's were a'ight, and facism is the way to go! I always assumed you're real name was simply Benito, I did not think it stood for your admiration of Mr. Mussolini.

I don't agree with your stance or worldviews, but I support your right to hold the, and tell us about them.

You evaded my point, so I will ask/state it again.
The disproportionately Jewish Soviet leadership murdered far more of its "own" people and those it conquered than even the highest estimates of Germany's.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-07-17, 21:09
You evaded my point, so I will ask/state it again.
The disproportionately Jewish Soviet leadership murdered far more of its "own" people and those it conquered than even the highest estimates of Germany's.

MR. CHARGE D'AFFAIRES:

The Government of the United States having violated in the most flagrant manner and in ever increasing measure all rules of neutrality in favor of the adversaries of Germany and having continually been guilty of the most severe provocations toward Germany ever since the outbreak of the European war, provoked by the British declaration of war against Germany on September 3, 1939, has finally resorted to open military acts of aggression.

On September 11, 1941, the President of the United States publicly declared that he had ordered the American Navy and Air Force to shoot on sight at any German war vessel. In his speech of October 27, 1941, he once more expressly affirmed that this order was in force. Acting under this order, vessels of the American Navy, since early September 1941, have systematically attacked German naval forces. Thus, American destroyers, as for instance the Greer, the Kearney and the Reuben James, have opened fire on German submarines according to plan. The Secretary of the American Navy, Mr. Knox, himself confirmed that-American destroyers attacked German submarines.

Furthermore, the naval forces of the United States, under order of their Government and contrary to international law have treated and seized German merchant vessels on the high seas as enemy ships.

The German Government therefore establishes the following facts:

Although Germany on her part has strictly adhered to the rules of international law in her relations with the United States during every period of the present war, the Government of the United States from initial violations of neutrality has finally proceeded to open acts of war against Germany. The Government of the United States has thereby virtually created a state of war.

The German Government, consequently, discontinues diplomatic relations with the United States of America and declares that under these circumstances brought about by President Roosevelt Germany too, as from today, considers herself as being in a state of war with the United States of America.

Accept, Mr. Charge d'Affaires, the expression of my high consideration.

December 11, 1941.

RIBBENTROP.

I do believe that is the exact text of the German declaration of war on the United States, which was issued PRIOR to the declaration of war on Germany by the United States....

Seventy-Seventh Congress of the United States of America; At the First Session Begun and held at the City of Washington, on Friday, the third day of January, 1941.

JOINT RESOLUTION Declaring That a State of War Exists Between The Government of Germany and the Government and the People of the United States and Making Provisions To Prosecute The Same

Whereas the Government of Germany has formally declared war against the Government and the people of the United States of America: Therefore be it Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the state of war between the United States and the Government of Germany which has thus been thrust upon the United States is hereby formally declared; and the President is hereby authorized and directed to employ the entire naval and military forces of the United States and the resources of the Government to carry on war against the Government of Germany; and, to bring the conflict to a successful termination, all of the resources of the country are hereby pledged by the Congress of the United States.

(Signed) Sam Rayburn, Speaker of the House of Representatives
(Signed) H. A. Wallace, Vice President of the United States and President of the Senate
Approved December 11, 1941 3:05 PM E.S.T.
(Signed) Franklin D. Roosevelt

Hitler being a "bad man" was revealed later on in the war, and in details that surfaced years later. I think we went to war because we were suddenly a world at war. We had been surprise attacked by a Japanese foe that was aligned by a nation now making a serious declaration of war against us.

M Sadler
05-08-17, 07:27
I'm going to guess this movie will be nothing more than revisionist history by Chris Nolan. Never understood why anyone would want to make a movie about defeat.

Churchill on Dunkirk: ‘We must be very careful not to assign to this the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations’.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-08-17, 08:04
I'm going to guess this movie will be nothing more than revisionist history by Chris Nolan. Never understood why anyone would want to make a movie about defeat.

Churchill on Dunkirk: ‘We must be very careful not to assign to this the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations’.

I don't see it that way at all. I think it will display a victory for the human spirit and condition amid a terrible military defeat.

Voodoochild
05-08-17, 09:22
Well I can see no one wants to step away from the keyboard and go get a little sun today so this thread is closed. Knock it off.