PDA

View Full Version : McAfee offers "World's first truly private smartphone" (**NSFW**)

WillBrink
04-25-17, 15:55
Via John MCafee:

"The John McAfee Privacy Phone, by MGT - first prototype. World's first truly private smartphone. You gonna love it."

Details are scarce, but:

"MGT Capital Investments, Inc. (OTC: MGTI) is in the process of acquiring and developing a diverse portfolio of cyber security technologies. With industry pioneer John McAfee at its helm, MGT is positioned to address various cyber threats through advanced protection technologies for mobile and personal tech devices, as well as corporate networks.

Also as part of its corporate efforts in secure technologies, MGT is growing its capacity in mining Bitcoin. Currently at 5.0 PetaHash, the Company’s facility in Washington state produces about 100 Bitcoins per month, ranking it as one of the largest U.S. based Bitcoin miners. Further, MGT is in active discussions with financial partners to grow Bitcoin output materially.

Lastly, MGT stockholders have voted to change the corporate name of MGT to "John McAfee Global Technologies, Inc." Following a dispute over ownership and permitted usage of the name McAfee, The Company and Intel have agreed to a mediation process to avoid unnecessary legal costs."

Source:

https://www.mgtci.com/

Big A
04-25-17, 16:22
If it connects to any telecommunications network then it will not be private.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
04-25-17, 17:09
While I agree...

...if any living human has the potential to produce a legitimately secure commercial device, it's JM.

WillBrink
04-25-17, 17:40

Way out of my lane, but I had thought things like end to end encryption and other methods done by people who know their chit (and JM is the LAV of dudes who know their chit in that realm) would make for a level of security no seen in phones used today. I'll be interested to see how that goes and may grab a few shares for chit and giggles should it pop.

ramairthree
04-25-17, 17:51
It comes with a stylus that doubles as a coke straw, room in the battery compartment for a "survival" razor blade and a condom, the back is a "signal" mirror, and the other end of the stylus is a handcuff key.

he is like Charlie Sheen with a 99.99 percentile IQ.

Outlander Systems
04-25-17, 17:55
If he conjures forth a strong enough, proprietary, crypto algorithm with a sufficient bit count it would, at least through unclassified channels, be a MOTHER****ER to break. Elliptic Curve Diffie Hellman Ephemeral, for example.

I want to believe in the conspiracy that there's a lab with a Quantum computer somewhere, but I'm not buying that one yet.

WillBrink
04-25-17, 17:55
It comes with a stylus that doubles as a coke straw, room in the battery compartment for a "survival" razor blade and a condom, the back is a "signal" mirror, and the other end of the stylus is a handcuff key.

he is like Charlie Sheen with a 99.99 percentile IQ.

Don't make me post the video

Firefly
04-25-17, 19:00
I'll stick to burners, dead drops, and Navajo code.

I dont care if the gov knows what sick shit I look at

THEY DONT KNOW MY LIFE

Co-gnARR
04-25-17, 19:28

THEY DONT KNOW MY LIFE
The AI's working the personality type algorithims will correctly assess your perceived threat level, no matter how invalid the inputs are.

Outlander Systems
04-25-17, 19:31
You joke...

The AI's working the personality type algorithims will correctly assess your perceived threat level, no matter how invalid the inputs are.

Eurodriver
04-25-17, 19:54
You joke...

Is that really a thing?

Outlander Systems
04-25-17, 20:04
...Russell Tice knows more about it than I do but...

http://www.krannert.purdue.edu/academics/mis/workshop/ac2_100606.pdf

Is that really a thing?

Co-gnARR
04-25-17, 20:39
You joke...

In all honesty I meant to /sarc that shizz, but that bitter irony bit me...it was a joke, but the too close to being true to be funny.

Sorry for the buzz kill...

Moose-Knuckle
04-26-17, 03:44
Smartphone?!

Hell, I just wished my remote would stop spying on me (Amazon Fire stick with the Alexa voice remote) and I don't even use the ****'n voice app on it.

I tried an experiment, I told my wife while we were in the living room that we really should take a trip to XYZ country *wink*wink*. In reality I have no interested of ever visiting XYZ country. Low and behold my social media and email gets data mined ads for XYZ country. Never once Googled said country much less ever purchased anything pertaining to it via a CC.

We're so over the barrel and have been for a LOOOOOOOOONG TIME . . .

Outlander Systems
04-26-17, 05:37
Meh. It is what it is. Maybe the machines will keep us around...

...as pets.

In all honesty I meant to /sarc that shizz, but that bitter irony bit me...it was a joke, but the too close to being true to be funny.

Sorry for the buzz kill...

Digital_Damage
04-26-17, 08:07
A fool and his money... my guess is they are going to try some VOIP nonsense being routed to their network. The issue with that it their network now becomes a easy target.

Alex V
04-26-17, 08:36
Smartphone?!

Hell, I just wished my remote would stop spying on me (Amazon Fire stick with the Alexa voice remote) and I don't even use the ****'n voice app on it.

I tried an experiment, I told my wife while we were in the living room that we really should take a trip to XYZ country *wink*wink*. In reality I have no interested of ever visiting XYZ country. Low and behold my social media and email gets data mined ads for XYZ country. Never once Googled said country much less ever purchased anything pertaining to it via a CC.

We're so over the barrel and have been for a LOOOOOOOOONG TIME . . .

This happens all the time. At first I thought it was a coincidence then is started getting creepy. For example; the wife and I are in the car discussing X topic. We are unsure of the right answer. Of coarse, the passenger goes to look it up on Google. As soon as we type the first letter of the first word of the questions, the whole thing comes up in the suggested search. WTF!

Or when I used to get in the car in the morning and my phone would light up telling me how long the trip to work would be. On Friday nights I would get into my car and my phone would light up telling me how long the ride to the place where I play hockey would be. Come on!

We are so screwed.

Co-gnARR
04-26-17, 09:03

...as pets.
The singularity just needs to happen already.

Zim
04-26-17, 09:24
This isn't new or original. Blackphone's been doing the secure smartphone thing for a few years already. I'm fuzzy on the specifics, but it uses proprietary voip servers and vpn's for secure communications.

Outlander Systems
04-26-17, 09:28
I vote against the Singularity.

"The machine neither loves you, nor hates you; it simply has more efficient uses for the atoms you're composed of." -Yudkowsky

The singularity just needs to happen already.

Co-gnARR
04-26-17, 14:35
I vote against the Singularity.

"The machine neither loves you, nor hates you; it simply has more efficient uses for the atoms you're composed of." -Yudkowsky
Again, a bitter sarcasm that maybe didn't translate. But once it happens, at least that part is over with. Enough with the dreaded anticipation already :sarcastic:

Honu
04-26-17, 17:08
maybe he can do a show where he goes down to Belize to show us how safe it is :)

WillBrink
04-26-17, 17:55
maybe he can do a show where he goes down to Belize to show us how safe it is :)

That's it. It must be posted, quite possibly the best vid on YT. For those who have not seen it: NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

SeriousStudent
04-26-17, 22:35
This isn't new or original. Blackphone's been doing the secure smartphone thing for a few years already. I'm fuzzy on the specifics, but it uses proprietary voip servers and vpn's for secure communications.

They are good. Not bulletproof, but quite good.

Moose-Knuckle
04-27-17, 04:30

...as pets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE3OuHukrmQ

Moose-Knuckle
04-27-17, 04:36
This happens all the time. At first I thought it was a coincidence then is started getting creepy. For example; the wife and I are in the car discussing X topic. We are unsure of the right answer. Of coarse, the passenger goes to look it up on Google. As soon as we type the first letter of the first word of the questions, the whole thing comes up in the suggested search. WTF!

Or when I used to get in the car in the morning and my phone would light up telling me how long the trip to work would be. On Friday nights I would get into my car and my phone would light up telling me how long the ride to the place where I play hockey would be. Come on!

We are so screwed.

I have had a few Mandela effect-esque style moments when it has come to searches. I've had more than a few where I wanted to look up something that I was thinking about and the first letter or two pulled up the exact f'n thing with out me saying a word.

Bastards.

Big A
04-27-17, 08:22
Way out of my lane, but I had thought things like end to end encryption and other methods done by people who know their chit (and JM is the LAV of dudes who know their chit in that realm) would make for a level of security no seen in phones used today. I'll be interested to see how that goes and may grab a few shares for chit and giggles should it pop.

The phone itself I'm sure will be quite secure for the most part. I'm no expert in the field of cyber security but I'm not convinced that whatever data transmitted via a telecomm network is secure while on the network. Plus, where is the phone made and by whom? Do we really trust the government of some countries(China) not to try and sneak in some kind of back door access code?

WillBrink
04-27-17, 09:29
The phone itself I'm sure will be quite secure for the most part. I'm no expert in the field of cyber security but I'm not convinced that whatever data transmitted via a telecomm network is secure while on the network. Plus, where is the phone made and by whom? Do we really trust the government of some countries(China) not to try and sneak in some kind of back door access code?

Above my pay grade but those were all issues he was addressing during the whole Imac/FBI fiasco. If there's anyone who could produce such a phone damn near impossible (I refuse to believe anything is 100% un breakable) to hack, he'd be the guy.

Co-gnARR
04-27-17, 10:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE3OuHukrmQ

Beat me to the punch! I was going to link that, then thought, meh...

Co-gnARR
04-27-17, 10:34
Nevermind....

WillBrink
04-28-17, 10:53
More on the phone:

http://www.newsweek.com/john-mcafee-privacy-phone-smartphone-590373

Honu
04-28-17, 17:14
and yet the gov/fbi could not brute force the terrorists iPhone ?

SO the worlds most secure ? are we holding the nuke codes ?

IMHO todays phones can be secure enough for all of us IF we used proper setup etc..

proper I.E. new samsung do not use the face recognition !

WillBrink
04-28-17, 17:29
and yet the gov/fbi could not brute force the terrorists iPhone ?

SO the worlds most secure ? are we holding the nuke codes ?

IMHO todays phones can be secure enough for all of us IF we used proper setup etc..

proper I.E. new samsung do not use the face recognition !

Mcafee offered to do it for free stating the FBI had idiots for techs and generally embarrassed them. Assuming it's true, the FBI ultimately got it done by bringing a white hat like Mcafee in...

FBI paid professional hackers one-time fee to crack San Bernardino iPhone

The FBI cracked a San Bernardino terrorist’s phone with the help of professional hackers who discovered and brought to the bureau at least one previously unknown software flaw, according to people familiar with the matter.

The new information was then used to create a piece of hardware that helped the FBI to crack the iPhone’s four-digit personal identification number without triggering a security feature that would have erased all the data, the individuals said.

The researchers, who typically keep a low profile, specialize in hunting for vulnerabilities in software and then in some cases selling them to the U.S. government. They were paid a one-time flat fee for the solution.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-paid-professional-hackers-one-time-fee-to-crack-san-bernardino-iphone/2016/04/12/5397814a-00de-11e6-9d36-33d198ea26c5_story.html?utm_term=.6422eb614e01

Honu
04-28-17, 19:52
Mcafee offered to do it for free stating the FBI had idiots for techs and generally embarrassed them. Assuming it's true, the FBI ultimately got it done by bringing a white hat like Mcafee in...

FBI paid professional hackers one-time fee to crack San Bernardino iPhone

The FBI cracked a San Bernardino terrorist’s phone with the help of professional hackers who discovered and brought to the bureau at least one previously unknown software flaw, according to people familiar with the matter.

The new information was then used to create a piece of hardware that helped the FBI to crack the iPhone’s four-digit personal identification number without triggering a security feature that would have erased all the data, the individuals said.

The researchers, who typically keep a low profile, specialize in hunting for vulnerabilities in software and then in some cases selling them to the U.S. government. They were paid a one-time flat fee for the solution.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-paid-professional-hackers-one-time-fee-to-crack-san-bernardino-iphone/2016/04/12/5397814a-00de-11e6-9d36-33d198ea26c5_story.html?utm_term=.6422eb614e01

exactly my point though :)

the FBI could not do it the majority of folks can not do it ! what can be done can be undone !

and security moves forward to !

again who needs and what are the needs for a so called secure device ?

its only secure till someone needs the info and to what lengths will they go to get it

Jellybean
04-28-17, 22:06
I feel like this is an appropriate place to post this:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/security.png

..It's only secure till someone needs the info and to what lengths will they go to get it...

Buckaroo
04-28-17, 22:31
Bahahahahahahahahahaha indeed, a $5 wrench is totally efficient

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Honu
04-29-17, 05:16

YUP !!

SomeOtherGuy
04-29-17, 10:49

Bahahahahahahahahahaha indeed, a $5 wrench is totally efficient

#firstworldproblems
#checkyourprivilege
#whateversjwstupidity

A zero-cent rock would also work just fine, if you're not some kind of torture-snob-yuppy.

SeriousStudent
04-29-17, 10:51
I have a copy of that xkcd cartoon blown up as a poster in my lab at work. It's a reminder to the minions that an elegant solution is often different from a workable solution.

We often refer to it as the "Jack Bauer" option.

Outlander Systems
04-29-17, 10:52
Rubber-hose Cryptanalysis flat out WORKS!

Firefly
04-29-17, 11:39
The only thing anybody would get out of me before I swallowed my tongue and broke my own neck would be "See you in Hell".

Dead. Serious.

Eurodriver
04-29-17, 17:35
The only thing anybody would get out of me before I swallowed my tongue and broke my own neck would be "See you in Hell".

Dead. Serious.

My favorite scene, including a line I copy quite frequently, is in the movie shooter where they rig up the suicide gun contraption.

"What kind of asshole would think of a thing like this?"

WillBrink
04-29-17, 18:22
I have a copy of that xkcd cartoon blown up as a poster in my lab at work. It's a reminder to the minions that an elegant solution is often different from a workable solution.

We often refer to it as the "Jack Bauer" option.

Hope the added NSFW label not due to the vid I posted. Remove as needed. Didn't think about the NSFW aspect.

Firefly
04-29-17, 18:35
My favorite scene, including a line I copy quite frequently, is in the movie shooter where they rig up the suicide gun contraption.

"What kind of asshole would think of a thing like this?"

That was a classic. I'd even gorgive the pop bottle over the .22 barrel spiel. That was actually not a bad movie.

Bribery and Torture gets stuff done

Kain
04-29-17, 18:36

THEY DONT KNOW MY LIFE

Shit, give things another 10-20 years and letter written in cursive will be the most secure method of communication since no one will know how to read the crap. Many can't now.

Firefly
04-29-17, 18:46
Shit, give things another 10-20 years and letter written in cursive will be the most secure method of communication since no one will know how to read the crap. Many can't now.

This.

I domt have kids but have been told they dont teach it anymore. I had to learn it in 4th(?) grade. I hated it and thought it was girly stuff.

But I am glad I learned it as A. Girls eat it up if youbwrite them anything in Cursive and B. It really is a hallmark of literacy and penmanship.

Sometimes I like to look up old handwritten letters in cursive and it just looks pretty.

Kinda like the Japanese have that Katakana that looks aggressive and that Hiragana that looks more loopy and passive

jpmuscle
04-29-17, 19:40
This.

I domt have kids but have been told they dont teach it anymore. I had to learn it in 4th(?) grade. I hated it and thought it was girly stuff.

But I am glad I learned it as A. Girls eat it up if youbwrite them anything in Cursive and B. It really is a hallmark of literacy and penmanship.

Sometimes I like to look up old handwritten letters in cursive and it just looks pretty.

Kinda like the Japanese have that Katakana that looks aggressive and that Hiragana that looks more loopy and passive
No joke, my stepfather's penmanship is like this. He could have been the guy who transcribed the Declaration of Independence or Constitution. It's just crazy elegant.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Co-gnARR
04-29-17, 20:09
Guy was telling me people he was doing business with in London were surprised he could 'link letters'. They thought he was a high born Ivy Leaguer, since in UK cursive is apprently only tought in public schools. And, just to clarify, in England, public schools are private elite academies.

Kain
04-29-17, 20:39
This.

Shit man, I was dating a chick a few years ago who was like 21 at the time who couldn't write in cursive or read it. She used to bitch at me when I'd scribble a note in cursive and give it to her at which she'd look at it funny and go, "WTF is this, english mother ****er do you write it." I also had a professor in college bitch at me because I took my notes in an amalgamation of cursive, print, short hand, jargon, and Cyrillic russian, but that is another story.

Hell, I used to bounce the idea off a friend of mine about writing a story about some assassin in the future and one of the scene having him getting picked up going into NYC and them grabbing his personal notebook and being confused as hell because they couldn't read it. Coming to him going, "What kind of code is this." and him looking at them like they were retarded, "Don't you read cursive?" Then later on when he is asked what is in the note book, "It's my personal cook book." Or something like that.
Kind of a cyber noir mix with Blade Runner with the main guy being this sarcastic fatalistic character who has just gotten to the point of not caring. With a lot of twisted humor.

Guy was telling me people he was doing business with in London were surprised he could 'link letters'. They thought he was a high born Ivy Leaguer, since in UK cursive is apprently only tought in public schools. And, just to clarify, in England, public schools are private elite academies.

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that, but then again not much surprises me. My handwritting honestly, can be pretty shitty if I don't take my time. I usually. USUALLY. Can read it if I rush my notes, but sometimes I have a hard time deciphering it. I good if I actually take my time though, but I'll never win any awards.

MegademiC
04-29-17, 21:00
I have had a few Mandela effect-esque style moments when it has come to searches. I've had more than a few where I wanted to look up something that I was thinking about and the first letter or two pulled up the exact f'n thing with out me saying a word.

Bastards.

A few years ago Glenn Beck interviewed guys from Google. They said the goal was to have the computer know what you were going to ask before you knew what you were going to ask.

Moose-Knuckle
04-30-17, 04:28
A few years ago Glenn Beck interviewed guys from Google. They said the goal was to have the computer know what you were going to ask before you knew what you were going to ask.

No doubt, YouTube Ray Kurzweil. He is Google's chief futurist, some scary shit is on it's way and it will be welcomed with open arms.

turnburglar
04-30-17, 10:01
Ray Kurzweil is nothing but Sci-Fi.

The singularity is NEVER gonna happen much less in our lifetime.

2040..... yea right.

Co-gnARR
04-30-17, 10:25
Ray Kurzweil is nothing but Sci-Fi.

The singularity is NEVER gonna happen much less in our lifetime.

2040..... yea right.

IDK...FaceBook is developing a technology that can scan brainwaves and interpret words, without ever having physical interface with the brain. Current technologies require some form of implant to receive signals from the brain, and I think they are limited to simple directional movements, ie, scrolling a mouse. And this is all public information- what is really happening behind the scenes?

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/19/facebook-brain-interface/

Building 8 is just another form of skunk works, only it is a totally private corporation that exits for its own benefit, vice defense contractors working to further national security for the benefit of the nation.

turnburglar
04-30-17, 12:54
without trying to write a novel from my phone let me debunk kurzweil: this guy believes that in 2040 there will be some kind of technological traffic accident between Moore's law and self governing artificial intelligence making humans into nothing more than a house pet incapable of competing. Umm sorry but no. Really look into it: Moore's law has already been broken, and has been for a very long time. It's an old hypothesis at this point that just gets repeated as Internet myth. The silicon transistor cannot just infinitely improve forever, and we have already reached the diminishing returns on that technology.

Lastly the idea that AI can outclass us on creativity: you know the stuff needed to innovative and invent: is silly. Humans have dragged ourselves out of the dirt and our brains FAR out class anything made of silicone. AI has shown it can learn faster and act tactically but you have to remember this one fact: this new AI lives (learns) in a human world. It's mimicry will seem very very familiar.

I'm about as trans-human as they come, and believe many aspects of our bodies can and will be greatly improved with tech. kurzweils's singularity gets way too much media hype. I might show up at Google and eat his lunch some day.

Co-gnARR
04-30-17, 13:09
without trying to write a novel from my phone let me debunk kurzweil: this guy believes that in 2040 there will be some kind of technological traffic accident between Moore's law and self governing artificial intelligence making humans into nothing more than a house pet incapable of competing. Umm sorry but no. Really look into it: Moore's law has already been broken, and has been for a very long time. It's an old hypothesis at this point that just gets repeated as Internet myth. The silicon transistor cannot just infinitely improve forever, and we have already reached the diminishing returns on that technology.

Lastly the idea that AI can outclass us on creativity: you know the stuff needed to innovative and invent: is silly. Humans have dragged ourselves out of the dirt and our brains FAR out class anything made of silicone. AI has shown it can learn faster and act tactically but you have to remember this one fact: this new AI lives (learns) in a human world. It's mimicry will seem very very familiar.

I'm about as trans-human as they come, and believe many aspects of our bodies can and will be greatly improved with tech. kurzweils's singularity gets way too much media hype. I might show up at Google and eat his lunch some day.
I don't disagree with you, and in fact share much of your skepticism. Advances in computing outside of silicon-based transistors is an active field, though, so once that barrier is broken, all bets are off IMO, regarding the limitations we think we know.

turnburglar
04-30-17, 14:25
I don't disagree with you, and in fact share much of your skepticism. Advances in computing outside of silicon-based transistors is an active field, though, so once that barrier is broken, all bets are off IMO, regarding the limitations we think we know.

getting past the silicon transistor still doesn't equate to singularity. When I'm not traveling I'll do a better job of referencing my claims. Just think about it this way: the BEST data storage and fastest processing power we know of is still DNA and neurons.

Honesty my biggest issue with a 'singularity' future is that when you take into account the size and age of the Milky Way or the universe as a whole, you really gotta start answering the fermi peridox.

I don't believe we are first or special.

Kain
04-30-17, 17:11
Well considering the direction of this thread, this comic is relevant today.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/Kain8719/dt170430.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/Kain8719/media/dt170430.jpg.html)

Co-gnARR
04-30-17, 23:07
getting past the silicon transistor still doesn't equate to singularity. When I'm not traveling I'll do a better job of referencing my claims. Just think about it this way: the BEST data storage and fastest processing power we know of is still DNA and neurons.

Honesty my biggest issue with a 'singularity' future is that when you take into account the size and age of the Milky Way or the universe as a whole, you really gotta start answering the fermi peridox.

I don't believe we are first or special.

For starters, the fermi paradox is the first point I think of when I look at claims that intelligence will radiate out ward from earth after the singularity. IMO it just seems a bit egotistical to claim that universal awareness will originate here- it totally discounts the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. I'm not sure I buy that humans on earth are the only intelligent, sentient beings in existence.
As for silicon-based computing, I perhaps should have stated integrated circuits instead. Moore's law is not broken, either, but the intial doubling rate of 18-24 months in the 70's is closer to 30 months. The pace is slowing, but the potential to reduce transistors to half the current size is possible. And Moore's law is really an observation of trends, not an actual law of nature, like gravity. Even if the doubling rate slows or stops, there is nothing defining the limitations of increasing computational power. That is really where the future lies with computer science.
My comment about advances in computing outside of silcon-based (integrated circuits) was addressing the research in things like DNA computing and quantam computing. As the technologies advance, the ability to map the human brain and understand the intricate interconnections of neurons and synapes will help refine the AI technology and the construction of computers to enable these AI's to mimic human thinking. Now imagine, something that can process data faster than a human, but capable of interpreting the results as a human would is truly powerful. Maybe that is not a true defintion of singularity, but machines capable of thinking-I mean actually creating outputs based upon an understanding of concepts, pattern recognition, and therefore capable of learning- is a sort of evolutionary step forward in intelligence.

Moose-Knuckle
05-01-17, 04:17
IDK...FaceBook is developing a technology that can scan brainwaves and interpret words, without ever having physical interface with the brain. Current technologies require some form of implant to receive signals from the brain, and I think they are limited to simple directional movements, ie, scrolling a mouse. And this is all public information- what is really happening behind the scenes?

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/19/facebook-brain-interface/

Building 8 is just another form of skunk works, only it is a totally private corporation that exits for its own benefit, vice defense contractors working to further national security for the benefit of the nation.

In his farewell address Ike warned We the People about the Military Industrial Complex, that now encompasses the Military Industrial Academic Complex which funds research projects to universities like MIT, CalTech, et al. to the tune of BILLIONS of dollars.

It has been said by MIC whistle blowers and insiders alike that they are on average 40 calendar years ahead of the rest of civilization in regards to technology.

As for the AI side of the debate, for fun read up on gray goo theory.