PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman Dies at 83

D.O.B.A
09-27-08, 11:25
-----Paul Newman has died at 83 from Cancer. Sad to hear, I met him once in New York, at a Racetrack of course! He was a nice guy, and seemed very down to Earth for a "Hollywood Icon" ------- R.I.P Paul.

Cold Zero
09-27-08, 12:17
R.I.P.

He made some good movies and salad dressing, past sauce and lemonade the proceeds from which he donated to charity.

Voodoochild
09-27-08, 13:19
R.I.P. Cool Hand Luke..

Robb Jensen
09-27-08, 13:25
R.I.P. :(

MarshallDodge
09-27-08, 14:03
:(

Unfortunately he leaned toward the liberal side but he was a pretty cool guy. He did do a lot of good for charity, much more than I will probably ever be able to do.

RogerinTPA
09-27-08, 14:23
One of the greatest actors of all time. I liked all his movies. I saw him at the Signature FBO (across the runway from orlando international airport) when I landed there years ago. As he walked by our aircraft, I yelled out, "Hey Paul, love your salad dressing man!" He laughed and gave me a thumbs up. RIP :(

Detmongo
09-27-08, 14:29
One of the greatest actors of all time. I liked all his movies. I saw him at the Signature FBO (across the runway from orlando international airport) when I landed there years ago. As he walked by our aircraft, I yelled out, "Hey Paul, love your salad dressing man!" He laughed and gave me a thumbs up. RIP :(

he supported a cop killer

JoshNC
09-27-08, 15:05
An outstanding actor and very generous philanthropist. Unfortunately, he was also a very BIG supporter of restrictive gun control measures.

R.I.P. Paul Newman; I will miss your talent on the silver screen.

KintlaLake
09-27-08, 15:16
A man's man. Solid in what he believed, unapologetic and thoughtful. Gave more than he got.

If only that were so of all of us.

Godspeed, "Racer Boy." :cool:

bruce_hxc
09-27-08, 15:32
"That's my darling Luke. He grins like a baby but bites like a gator."

RIP

Hersh
09-27-08, 19:53
"Get mad at 'dem damned eggs!"

RIP

Erick Gelhaus
09-27-08, 21:19
Let's see ... this Newman guy is an actor?

And he supports what? http://www.freemumia.org/intro.html

HAMMERDROP
09-27-08, 23:16
... You think you used enough dynamite there Butch ? !

Michael

chadbag
09-28-08, 12:49
While his politics left a lot to be desired, he was a great actor. And probably one of the few liberals who actually did a lot of charity...

KintlaLake
09-28-08, 13:55
While his politics left a lot to be desired...one of the few liberals who actually did a lot of charity...

I'm not so sure about that, but I doubt the kids care if he was liberal, conservative or Martian.

Having spoken with Paul Newman and worked directly with Kyle Petty, I'm glad that at least two Americans were able to put aside irrelevant political differences for a much greater good.

On the day Mr. Newman died, and coincidentally, Kyle and Pattie announced the site of the second Victory Junction Gang Camp, in Kansas City.

Kindness knows no politics, and generosity trumps differences. If only we could figure that the hell out, our nation would be better off.

JoshNC
09-28-08, 14:18
I'm not so sure about that, but I doubt the kids care if he was liberal, conservative or Martian.

Having spoken with Paul Newman and worked directly with Kyle Petty, I'm glad that at least two Americans were able to put aside irrelevant political differences for a much greater good.

On the day Mr. Newman died, and coincidentally, Kyle and Pattie announced the site of the second Victory Junction Gang Camp, in Kansas City.

Kindness knows no politics, and generosity trumps differences. If only we could figure that the hell out, our nation would be better off.

You are a class act, Kintla.....and right on the money.

chadbag
09-28-08, 17:46

No doubt.

Overall studies show that Red states outgive Blue states by a sizable margin in charitable giving and if you look at the tax returns of Obama and Biden, it is very clear that they believe in doing their good works with other people's money and not their own.

But there are good people across the spectrum. People whose contributions are greatly appreciated by those who benefit as well as all of society. Paul Newman was obviously one of the great Americans when it comes to helping his fellow man.

I in no way was trying to demean his contributions to society.

As an aside: when I first saw his line of products I avoided them as I did not want to support a liberal gun grabber. However, once I understood that all the profits from his food lines went to charity I dropped that objection and had no problems purchasing Newman's Own products.

Amen

C4IGrant
09-29-08, 11:57
Nice guy. Met him at a fish house in RI when I worked for SPAWAR. Just as down to Earth as one could be.

C4

chadbag
09-29-08, 12:15
Newman, along with actors like Heston, Reagan, Fonda (Henry), and the other old guard, no matter what their personal politics, were all gentlemen and all around nice guys. That is the difference between the gentlemen actors and most of todays idiots.