PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to your AR(s) today?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

hdrolling
04-27-17, 14:53
Thought I would start a thread for those that want to share what they did with their AR today. Sometimes you do just a little that your proud of but it's not enough of a big deal to start a new thread to talk about. Post it here! Replace parts, buy new parts, clean or modify existing parts let's here about it.

I'll start off with a couple of new goodies I ordered for the new BCM 16" I finished yesterday.

Picked up a EO Tech ESPS3-0 for $372 shipped and a G33 STS for $454 shipped, they should fit well on top of the BCM. Also ordered a BCM KAG Grip, it looks light and it was cheap so I thought I would try it out.

Post pics if like.

What did you do o your AR today?

officerX
04-27-17, 15:01
Thought I would start a thread for those that want to share what they did with their AR today. Sometimes you do just a little that your proud of but it's not enough of a big deal to start a new thread to talk about. Post it here! Replace parts, buy new parts, clean or modify existing parts let's here about it.

I'll start off with a couple of new goodies I ordered for the new BCM 16" I finished yesterday.

Picked up a EO Tech ESPS3-0 for $372 shipped and a G33 STS for $454 shipped, they should fit well on top of the BCM. Also ordered a BCM KAG Grip, it looks light and it was cheap so I thought I would try it out.

Post pics if like.

Where'd you get the EOTech for that price?

vicious_cb
04-27-17, 15:05

Post pics if like.

I shot it...

MisterHelix
04-27-17, 15:41
Re-zeroed the 16" with the new direct thread dedicated can. Started stripping the paint of one of the SBR's. Ugh.

hdrolling
04-27-17, 15:48
Where'd you get the EOTech for that price?

I found it on Ebay, the G33 is new and the seller has sold 133 of them. The 3-0 was an open box return.

MistWolf
04-27-17, 15:52
I approved the artwork for an engraving on a lower

hdrolling
04-27-17, 16:12

Care to post a pic of what it's going to look like?

Started stripping the paint off one of the SBR's. Ugh.

Having never painted an AR, do you strip all the old paint every time? You can't just paint over it?

RobertTheTexan
04-27-17, 16:15
I built a Noveske lower. W/ goodies from KAC, DSG, Troy, Magpul & a sweet FDE Vltor eMod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joekjr
04-27-17, 16:40
Cleaned my 3 gun AR.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hdrolling
04-27-17, 16:44
I built a Noveske lower. W/ goodies from KAC, DSG, Troy, Magpul & a sweet FDE Vltor eMod.

I was actually heading out to pick up a stripped KAC lower today until I ran across the EO Tech stuff at a decent price finally. There goes my May monthly spending allotment!

I'm still in the research and planning phase anyways, KAC stripped lower is the only part I've decided to use for sure. And I'm leaning on having the completed rifle being a 300 BLK, haven't decide on 16" or SPR. I'm guessing I could turn in a form 1 for an SBR using the ser # off the KAC and then just use a low barrel length number like 8-9". I think I read if I do that I can always go longer just not shorter, I'm just not sure if I send it off as a 300 BLK SBR if it has to saty 300 BLK if that's what the stamp says?

Lots of research before I buy to much......

Grip
04-27-17, 17:10
purchased a 4oz bottle of Slip 2000 EWL that BCM recommended to me after I smelled how good their bolt carrier groups smell when new.

RobertTheTexan
04-27-17, 18:44

Whatcha for cooking?

26 Inf
04-27-17, 19:16
Sorted AR mags. I keep them in FAT 50 ammo cans 28 mags per can, 28 rounds per mag. I have four FAT 50's and some random mags - including some five and 20 rounders. I use one can until all the mags are empty, then start on another. When two are empty I take the mags from the bucket, sort them and check them over.

Raining, so did not go to shoot my AR. If I don't have to go out, I don't go out. Nice to have that choice.

Otherwise, I'm in the process of media blasting a Browning slide from a surplus Hi-Power I bought to play with and sometimes carry when I shot one of my AR's. I just removed the Heinie Straight 8's from the side. The LOL is that I sent the slide to Don Williams at The ACtion Works to have him cut the dovetails and install them. Now I've taken them off before the slide was even back on the gun.

I completely and heartily recommend Mr. Williams and his work. Pleasant man to deal with, quick turnaround, honest to a fault, and great work. The Action Works http://www.theactionworks.com/

hdrolling
04-27-17, 19:18
purchased a 4oz bottle of Slip 2000 EWL that BCM recommended to me after I smelled how good their bolt carrier groups smell when new.

You should have splurged and grabbed the Slip 2000 ETL, then you could have lubed/degreased and killed all your carbon!

I'm in the process of media blasting a Browning slide from a surplus Hi-Power I bought to play with. I just removed the Heinie Straight 8's from the side. The LOL is that I sent the slide to Don Williams at The ACtion Works to have him cut the dovetails and install them.

Am I the only one that had to google all this to decipher what it means?

Sounds like a nice new toy! You know what we say about the rain in the Infantry...........

MistWolf
04-27-17, 19:23
Whatcha for cooking?

Since I've been asked by two different members- I'm having a two bullet icon engraved in the third selector position for a binary trigger

Jwknutson17
04-27-17, 19:25
Took all my WML lights batteries out and tested them with my volt meter.

ScottsBad
04-27-17, 20:01
Am I the only one that had to google all this to decipher what it means?

Sounds like a nice new toy! You know what we say about the rain in the Infantry...........

I didn't have to google, and its not about ARs which is what this thread was supposed to be about.....

Anyway, I pulled out two stripped lowers to assemble this weekend.

And read all 32 pages of the NRA/CRPA lawsuit filed against the AR ban in Commiefornia. First good news here in a long time.

I also did some more research on the Trijicon 1-8X.

bamashooter
04-27-17, 20:18
Big deal today. Installed rail covers port / starboard on carbine. Have a pair of angled sights enroute for same. And a Sparc AR on its way for BiL which I'll install, zero, etc

hdrolling
04-27-17, 20:24
Big deal today. Installed rail covers port / starboard on carbine. Have a pair of angled sights enroute for same. And a Sparc AR on its way for BiL which I'll install, zero, etc

You didn't order the SPARC from PSA did you? I did and it still hasn't shipped and it's been 4 days going on 5, still says processing on their page even though the payment cleared the same day I ordered it.

Now that I bought the EO Tech gear today (already shipped) I might call and see if I can cancel my order for the SPARK AR.

So I'm going to vent about the USPS, I ordered an new QD sling that was suppose to be here today. It arrived at our post office yesterday.
Last night it left our post office and was sent to the USPS an hour and a half away.
Today it left that post office and was sent to an office that is 2 1/2 hrs away.

So I could have spent today walking around the house with an AR strapped to myself with a shiny new sling but instead I had to carry it in my hands while walking around the house doing reflexive firing drills. Not as fun.

Vent complete.........

26 Inf
04-27-17, 21:02
I didn't have to google, and its not about ARs which is what this thread was supposed to be about......

I edited my post to conform.

RobertTheTexan
04-27-17, 21:10
I was actually heading out to pick up a stripped KAC lower today until I ran across the EO Tech stuff at a decent price finally. There goes my May monthly spending allotment!

I'm still in the research and planning phase anyways, KAC stripped lower is the only part I've decided to use for sure. And I'm leaning on having the completed rifle being a 300 BLK, haven't decide on 16" or SPR. I'm guessing I could turn in a form 1 for an SBR using the ser # off the KAC and then just use a low barrel length number like 8-9". I think I read if I do that I can always go longer just not shorter, I'm just not sure if I send it off as a 300 BLK SBR if it has to saty 300 BLK if that's what the stamp says?

Lots of research before I buy to much......

Research is one of the keys brother... but be careful of "analysis paralysis"... It got me on an optic once I barely made it out alive. Lol

ScottsBad
04-27-17, 21:27
I edited my post to conform.

I wasn't intending to be seriously critical, just poking.

Firefly
04-27-17, 22:12
Mx pro and CLP pm.

Made pew pew noises with SP1 while listening to CCR.
Parade slung aforementioned SP1 and put it back in vault.

26 Inf
04-27-17, 23:00
I wasn't intending to be seriously critical, just poking.

I wasn't sure, but I tried to poke back. :D

scooter22
04-27-17, 23:04
Threw a Proctor Sling on my primary. I think she's "the one".

mark5pt56
04-28-17, 05:22
I shot it...

Best answer! no whiz bang crap added and no follow on thread about it not working.

bighawk
04-28-17, 09:47
Swapped optics around on my SBRs and went to the range to re-zero them.

Changed out all my batteries on lights, lasers and optics.

RobertTheTexan
04-28-17, 09:50
Threw a Proctor Sling on my primary. I think she's "the one".

Scooter - what doing did you use before the FP?
I'm taking a couple of grey ghost slings our this weekend to give them a go. But I've heard really good things about the Proctor sling. Interested to hear your feedback.

Jwknutson17
04-28-17, 10:45
Mounted a Arisaka CMR offset scout mount on my MWS with Surefire M300C and SR switch. Had to very slightly open the holes on the CMR mount to work on the MWS. Thanks Will (from Arisaka) for the useful info before purchasing.

Fordtough25
04-28-17, 11:03
Mounted my Vtac sling to my KAC m4 sr15 and loaded up a couple 20 round mags with some of the 75 gr Hornady I picked up last weekend.

Yooperboy
04-28-17, 15:39
Cleaned my weapon, since I went shooting yesterday. Then I put on my Magpul ASAP sling mount. After that I unpackaged my new spec ops mamba single point sling and attached it to my weapon and adjusted it up. Man, I really appreciate the padded sling. Its nice to not have webbing cutting into ones neck and shoulder.

brown3345
04-28-17, 16:20
Sent a BCM back because I was unable to zero the rifle. Windage came to a stop.

Kdubya
04-28-17, 21:00
Was stuck at home with a sick child. So, I spent the day messing with a Holosun that I purchased last week. Tested the auto-off and auto-wake every few hours. So far, it works as advertised. Also did a quick once over with some Tuf Glide on a couple ARs and a carry pistol.

We did make a trip to my grandfather in-law's. He's been wanting to give me some reloading stuff. Little did I know that "stuff" included two progressive presses, dies, a case trimmer, a wet/dry tumbler, media, etc. However, it's mostly shotgun related, and I'm not sure that the presses can even be used for anything else. He threw in a garbage bag full of shells, waddings, and a huge canister of shot. To top it all off he gave me two scopes. One 36x fixed. Can't remember what the other is; both BNIB. I know most of the stuff isn't really AR related, but it's not everyday someone hands you $1000+ in shooting equipment.

RobertTheTexan
04-28-17, 22:24
I picked up a scope alignment tool and used it to level the new-to-me scope on my SPR. Headed to zero it tomorrow.

TaterTot
04-28-17, 23:23
I picked up my main squeeze and told her she was a sexy beast and we could operate operationally any time. Then I tried to change her buttpad. But we live in a metric world and she wanted standard wrenches...

Jormungandr
04-29-17, 01:27
I picked up my main squeeze and told her she was a sexy beast and we could operate operationally any time. Then I tried to change her buttpad. But we live in a metric world and she wanted standard wrenches...

If only you had a situation to operate in! :cool:

Locutus
04-29-17, 05:56
As I was taking guns out of my safe to get to my cowboy guns, I hugged my AR. I think it hugged back... :D

Shellen25
04-29-17, 06:26
Since I have parts ADD, I changed all my buffer assemblies to the PWS EBT Mod 2... really happy with it.

Also trying a Scout M600U. I was always running P2X/P3X... I like that it's smaller, i dislike the lower output.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hdrolling
04-29-17, 07:53
Well my package finally arrived with my new Magpul MS4 GEN2 dual QD sling, fits on all my QD mounts!. I needed one for now, I'll check out other brands later for the other two rifles.

AndyLate
04-29-17, 22:15
I changed an A5 H0 buffer to an H2. Easy peasy, although I was a bit nervous when I started.

Tomorrow, I am installing a barrel, gas block + tube and comp, unless I lose my nerve.

Update - 20" Faxon Gunner, pinned Faxon gas block, gas tube, BRT Covert Comp, ALG barrel nut, and 15" gray ALG MLOK V1 rail installed. Plus my Aero mount, currently securing a craptastic Tasco 3-9 scope that came on a 45-70 I bought years ago.

Andy

RobertTheTexan
04-30-17, 01:21
Well as my post last night said, I leveled my DMR scope and so today I needed to verify zero. I had to make a small adjustment in azimuth, which I believe was due to the leveling adjustment. This is my first time using calipers so not sure if I'm exactly right. Those of you in central Texas know what the wind was like today too. At the range I measured 8-9 KT constant with gusts up to 15.8 knots, blowing about 15-20 degrees off my lane.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170430/325c514354126dc37acf38b51b0484a5.jpg

Locutus
04-30-17, 06:01
Well as my post last night said, I leveled my DMR scope and so today I needed to verify zero. I had to make a small adjustment in azimuth, which I believe was due to the leveling adjustment. This is my first time using calipers so not sure if I'm exactly right. Those of you in central Texas know what the wind was like today too. At the range I measured 8-9 KT constant with gusts up to 15.8 knots, blowing about 15-20 degrees off my lane.

What you're doing works well enough, or you could measure outside to outside which is a little easier to eyeball and subtract one bullet diameter to get center-to-center.

That's a sweet group! What distance?

JoshNC
04-30-17, 07:12
I didn't have to google, and its not about ARs which is what this thread was supposed to be about.....

Anyway, I pulled out two stripped lowers to assemble this weekend.

And read all 32 pages of the NRA/CRPA lawsuit filed against the AR ban in Commiefornia. First good news here in a long time.

I also did some more research on the Trijicon 1-8X.

Have a link to the lawsuit?

Jwknutson17
04-30-17, 08:15

Robert, that is some awesome shooting. Very impressed. Well done.

Jwknutson17
04-30-17, 08:19
Took a Norah handstop and drilled the screw pockets slightly deeper and ground flat the bottom Mlok tabs to make it compatible on a LMT MWS.

RobertTheTexan
04-30-17, 09:19
What you're doing works well enough, or you could measure outside to outside which is a little easier to eyeball and subtract one bullet diameter to get center-to-center.

That's a sweet group! What distance?

100 yards. I had planned on going out to 400 but with all the rain the grass was about 3' high in the back 40 in shoot on and I didn't have a clear target. So I ran several 1-5 drills with my primary weapon.

RobertTheTexan
04-30-17, 09:20
Robert, that is some awesome shooting. Very impressed. Well done.

Thank you sir! I'm trying.

HMM
04-30-17, 21:36
I put the PRS QD Footman's Loop on my 308 AR and went to the range to try out my new suppressors. 9mm with 3 lug mount for my 9mm AR and then the 30 cal Surefire for the 5.56 and 308 ARs. Had a blast! Guy next to me showed up to try his new Franklin Armory Binary Trigger (shoots on the pull and the release). I got to run a mag through it while he ran mags through mine. Was neat to try even tho I don't think I ever want one. All in all a good day, just took forever to clean them afterwards...

hdrolling
05-01-17, 12:34
Had my Vortex SPARK AR arrive today, mounted it on my BCM that had an Aimpoing Pro on it. Fits okay and seems like an alright optic for the price, I picked it up on sale at PSA for $139.

I'm still waiting for my EOTech to arrive, after it gets here I want to head to the range and test the three optics out (EO Tech EXPS3-0 w/ G33, Aimpoint PRO, SPARC AR) and see which one's suit me better.

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 13:06
Took a Norah handstop and drilled the screw pockets slightly deeper and ground flat the bottom Mlok tabs to make it compatible on a LMT MWS.

Thad beautimus right there Brother. Pure dee beautimus.

Vegas
05-01-17, 13:32
Some case prep and load a couple of hundred is the plan. Currently in replenish my loaded stock mode.

bfoosh006
05-01-17, 13:35
Deleted

Evel Baldgui
05-01-17, 13:41
Changed my surefire flashlight battery.....after 3 years.

Tigereye
05-01-17, 16:41
Shot my first local rifle match yesterday. Basically a USPSA style match with a rifle. Loads of fun.

dpete
05-01-17, 19:33
Got this one out to take pictures of new camo.

bamashooter
05-01-17, 19:40
Sparc AR arrived today for BiL's AR. Hope to dial it in tomorrow.

scooter22
05-01-17, 23:13
I was using the BFG Vickers Padded Slings.

I found them to be rather bulky.

While I do like the pull tab on the Vickers, the Proctor's simplicity and minimalist design works better for me.

I may eventually check out the Haley sling, as it seems to have the best of both worlds.

Scooter - what doing did you use before the FP?
I'm taking a couple of grey ghost slings our this weekend to give them a go. But I've heard really good things about the Proctor sling. Interested to hear your feedback.

Official Kremlin Transmission

WTF?Shane
05-02-17, 01:00
I thought about changing the EXPS-3 to Micro T-1. Waiting for a mount I just purchased.

Other than that, I haven't fired it in 2 months and forgot the last time I properly cleaned it or lubed it.

hdrolling
05-02-17, 06:20
I thought about changing the EXPS-3 to Micro T-1. Waiting for a mount I just purchased.

Any reason for the change? I have the same EOTech coming Thur, are you talking about a mount for the EXPS or T-1?

Well I've been trying all morning to "like" the Vortex SPARC AR and it's just not happening. Figured if I left it on over night and picked up my BCM with the SPARC attached this morning that it might not be so bad, it just doesn't align with my eye very good.

It's light and all the functions work okay, mounts easy enough with the star tool it came with and the covers fold onto each other out of the way. But no matter how far back or forward I mount it or which mount I use I always have to find the lens so I can see through it.

With my Aimpoint, as soon as I bring my rifle up the optic is there and I don't have to adjust the weapon to see.

So I have to ask, are all micro style red dots like this? I've been looking at the T/H 1/2 from aimpoint, but if they are the same for all the micro's then I'll be happy with my PRO even though it's not a s light weight.

The SPARC AR does have the little blob where the red dot comes from, but that doesn't seem like it would be an issue for me. Anyone tried this optic and found a better mount maybe that helps bring the optic to the correct position when you bring up the weapon?

I also installed a BCM KAC handstop, lightweight comfortable and functional. It's a keeper! The Stike handstop I have on my DD looks cool(to me) and works okay but my big old yeti hands don't fit with it as well as I would like.

It's been a good day, EOTech G33 arrived today. Very nice, not as big and heavy as I thought. Just as clear as my Nikon P223, IMO.

Tried the tall mount first, well the screw got welded into the thread because of the locktight they use and I stripped the phillips head screw. I tried heating up the screw with a soldering iron but it wouldn't budge, so it looks like the tall mount it is. The bad thing is I think the low mount would have been the perfect height for me and now it's a touch tall. I'll
play with getting the screw out later, I was getting frustrated and didn't want to cause any further damage.

Kdubya
05-02-17, 19:58
...So I have to ask, are all micro style red dots like this? I've been looking at the T/H 1/2 from aimpoint, but if they are the same for all the micro's then I'll be happy with my PRO even though it's not a s light weight...

Speaking from the same experience of recently adding a micro RDS (Holosun) to the lineup, I understand the initial lack of enthusiasm. The first attempts at acquiring the dot in extreme low-light were pretty disappointing. I've been grabbing the AR it's on randomly throughout each day for a week or so, and it's become much more natural. It really came down to familiarity. It'll never be quite as forgiving as an Eotech when trying to acquire a sight picture. But that's okay. After just a little bit of time with it, the difference is negligible.

YMMV

bamashooter
05-02-17, 20:36
Installed the PSA great price Vortex Sparc AR on Bil's AR yesterday. 139.99 shipped. Got it dialed in today. Installed it at absolute co-witness. Very nice red dot for the money. Full sun with target in partial shade. Only set the brightness at 3 or 4 out of 11 levels. Excellent sharpness of dot.

WTF?Shane
05-02-17, 22:15
Any reason for the change? I have the same EOTech coming Thur, are you talking about a mount for the EXPS or T-1?

Trying to do a replica build CQBR Block II airsoft gun. It is almost impossible to find a tan EXPS-3 with old logo at the moment, so I'm gonna borrow it from my AR.

Diamondback
05-03-17, 01:03
Slowly getting parts ordered to build the Gremlin... this round was parts for the forearm.

Oh, and gave the blank a few more passes at drilling--yeah, yeah, I said I'd wait for my cordless drill to arrive, but I got bored waiting for a numbskull client to take me off Hold. If he has budget for my time to leave me sitting on hold, I need to rethink his position on the Billing Rate Chart, as it means my hourly isn't set high enough...

Locutus
05-03-17, 04:37
OK, technically it was yesterday, but I FINALLY got the right combination of weather and free time to go test my last build. It's an Aero E1 upper/rail and Aero lower with a Faxon Gunner barrel and Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. It took about 20 rounds before I found the point that kept the bolt locking back reliably with my 55 grain reloads and then went one click past for good measure. CINC-House is getting me a Leupold scope for my birthday, so the next time out I'll see just how accurate she is. :D

hdrolling
05-03-17, 06:14
CINC-House is getting me a Leupold scope for my birthday, so the next time out I'll see just how accurate she is. :D

Does she know she is getting you the scope for your Birthday? My DW is very thoughtful, buys me Birthday gifts all year long!

Locutus
05-03-17, 06:57
Does she know she is getting you the scope for your Birthday? My DW is very thoughtful, buys me Birthday gifts all year long!

Definitely! My youngest has four mouths to feed on a Bureau of Prisons paycheck, so he took a second job at Gander Mountain and he gets a 60% discount with Leupold. CINC-House is going to wire him the money a couple of weeks before my birthday. She lets me buy other stuff all year 'round, but this one is a bit pricier than most. I built this last rifle piece by piece, one paycheck at a time to keep her pucker factor low. ;)

bamashooter
05-03-17, 07:01
Well I've been trying all morning to "like" the Vortex SPARC AR and it's just not happening. Figured if I left it on over night and picked up my BCM with the SPARC attached this morning that it might not be so bad, it just doesn't align with my eye very good.

It's light and all the functions work okay, mounts easy enough with the star tool it came with and the covers fold onto each other out of the way. But no matter how far back or forward I mount it or which mount I use I always have to find the lens so I can see through it.

With my Aimpoint, as soon as I bring my rifle up the optic is there and I don't have to adjust the weapon to see.

So I have to ask, are all micro style red dots like this? I've been looking at the T/H 1/2 from aimpoint, but if they are the same for all the micro's then I'll be happy with my PRO even though it's not a s light weight.

The SPARC AR does have the little blob where the red dot comes from, but that doesn't seem like it would be an issue for me. Anyone tried this optic and found a better mount maybe that helps bring the optic to the correct position when you bring up the weapon?

I also installed a BCM KAC handstop, lightweight comfortable and functional. It's a keeper! The Stike handstop I have on my DD looks cool(to me) and works okay but my big old yeti hands don't fit with it as well as I would like.

Sorry to hear that. I have two micros and the Bil's Sparc AR. No problems as you are experiencing. When you red dot, are both eyes open? And I have one red dot that's rather large. I've read of the emitter in the lower right and didn't even notice it on the Sparc. My BiL has never red dotted. With his first look through he asked, "What's that thing in the lower right?". Either I am losing my observation skills or I'm more focused and not easily distracted. I hope it's the latter.

Korgs130
05-03-17, 20:19
Installed a Geissele Super 42 Braided Wire Buffer Spring and Buffer on my BCM CBQ11 KMR. Replaced one of the steel weights with a tungsten weight to make the buffer and H2. Shot a quick 100 round function check with several types of magazines (GI, TD ACR, DD & PMAG Gen 3) Works as advertised.

1toughdog
05-03-17, 20:39
ACOG purchased for one and LaRue MBT added to a another. A good day.

TactiCool1976
05-03-17, 21:02
i looked at her today and told her to get back in her case and stay there till called upon..... lol

i did buy her a couple hundred rounds of Norma USA match grade ammo monday.... so i guess that counts

hdrolling
05-03-17, 22:22
Sorry to hear that. I have two micros and the Bil's Sparc AR. No problems as you are experiencing. When you red dot, are both eyes open? And I have one red dot that's rather large. I've read of the emitter in the lower right and didn't even notice it on the Sparc. My BiL has never red dotted. With his first look through he asked, "What's that thing in the lower right?". Either I am losing my observation skills or I'm more focused and not easily distracted. I hope it's the latter.

Yes, both eyes open. I tried it again today and fooled around with where I set my buttstock, if I move it a little closer I seem to be able to pick up the dot faster. When I put on my Aimpoint PRO I can pick up the dot in either setting but it feels better being further back.

I'm going to remove the Nikon form my Sport II tomorrow and try the SPARK AR on it and see if a different buttstock makes any difference. The PRO and the Spark both work well with the EOTech G33, but the PRO and G33 combines is awful long and bulky.

I'll have a chance to try everything this weekend.
I did put a BCM KeyMod Rail Panel Kit on today, great feel. Much better than the no-name brand I had bought for it.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8382_zpsfedmznw4.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8383_zpsjghy76va.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8401_zpsoidkkuh6.jpg

EO Tech ESPS3-0 arrived tonight, very nice compared to the ones I used years ago in the military. For $372 shipped I was worried it might have been an air-soft type optic but it's the real deal, hopefully the weather will clear up so I can hit the range in the morning.

This optic feels much better on my BCM, I think the Aimpoint Pro is going back on my sport II and the nikon will have to wait for another rifle.

bamashooter
05-05-17, 21:28
EO Tech ESPS3-0 arrived tonight, very nice compared to the ones I used years ago in the military. For $372 shipped I was worried it might have been an air-soft type optic but it's the real deal, hopefully the weather will clear up so I can hit the range in the morning.

This optic feels much better on my BCM, I think the Aimpoint Pro is going back on my sport II and the nikon will have to wait for another rifle.

Good deal. I'm simulating installing those offset MBUS sights I have yet to receive. If it ain't here Tuesday I'm gonna call Optics Planet and tell them it's theirs. I could have low-crawled to Atlanta in that amount of time.

http://i.imgur.com/vZvIiyJ.jpg

Vegas
05-05-17, 21:52
Optics Planet are a joke imo. I've made two purchases that were in stock, wait, nope, item is back ordered.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

hdrolling
05-05-17, 22:23
Good deal. I'm simulating installing those offset MBUS sights I have yet to receive. If it ain't here Tuesday I'm gonna call Optics Planet and tell them it's theirs. I could have low-crawled to Atlanta in that amount of time.

Are you kidding, I thought the one time I ordered from them was a long wait. You hands down have the record now. I plan to zero and test out my offsets tomorrow, as well as the Eotech, SPARK AR and a nikon P223.

Last time I went to the range was with my FIL and all I had time to do was zero my Vortex Viper on my DD and zero the irons on my sport II as well as the Aimpoint PRO. I wasn't to happy that he had me drag him along and then only wanted to stay an hour.

After I zero and test everything in the morning I want to hit the 200 range and try out some Black hills 77gr in my DD M4V11 PRO, I've only shot 55gr at the 50 so far.

Diamondback
05-05-17, 22:29
Optics Planet are a joke imo. I've made two purchases that were in stock, wait, nope, item is back ordered.

And their prices aren't exactly great either. Even with a percent-off code... my best purchases with them were with my "First 3 Orders 15%-Off" coupon at Jet.com.

OTOH, Brownells right now is telling me my delta-ring assembly has shipped on their site, but they haven't posted a tracking number or sent an On The Way confirmation... and you should see how UPS and FedEx, particularly on their "SmartPost" partnerships with USPS, bounce all over the Puget Sound area--I once watched a package for a friend in Olympia take a day each starting first day off the plane in Federal Way going to first Tacoma, then Kent, then Lakewood, spent A DAY in Lakewood being "tendered to USPS," THEN finally in Olympia the next day. It took longer to get from the plane to her house than from the shipper all the way across the country to the airport here! How's THAT for "Department of WTF?!"? :( )

It reminds me of things from the family's days working for the Vanderbilts on the old New York Central... it takes longer to get across Chicago than the entire rest of the country, thanks to the municipally-owned and civil-service-sloppy Belt Railway of Chicago. (Which was so horrid, we went 60/40 with the Milwaukee Road building our own separate belt-line OUTSIDE the BRC, the Indiana Harbor Belt running from South Bend to Zearing and connecting with every single rail line into Chicago.)

Jwknutson17
05-05-17, 22:40
Bought a Tangent Theta 3-15 for my SR25 APC.

Spin Drift
05-05-17, 22:50
Bought a Tangent Theta 3-15 for my SR25 APC.

That's not your typical Bass Pro Shop optic…

Initial impressions?

Which reticle?

From whom?

Ever have a Premier?

And yeah, pics would be nice!

Jwknutson17
05-05-17, 23:35
That's not your typical Bass Pro Shop optic…

Initial impressions?

Which reticle?

From whom?

Ever have a Premier?

And yeah, pics would be nice!

I don't shop at bass pro.. ;)

TT is much different then Premier. Greg from Primal Rights did a quick write up here if you want a little background on TT vs Premier. http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/optics/44693-tangent-theta-professional-marksman.html Much more tech stuff out there that shows the optics side by side with turrets off, etc.

I ordered it from EuroOptic. I got the TT315P gen2Xr reticle linked here.. http://www.eurooptic.com/tangent-theta-3-15x50mm-illuminated-rifle-scope-34mm-28mrad-01-mrad-adj-gen-2-xr-reticle-800101-00.aspx . On the 3-15 its a little thicker then the 5-25 gen2xr reticle from what I am told, but I wanted a finer reticle over the Steiner M5xi MSR thats on there now. It arrives on Tuesday. I have looked through a sample of one (TT525P), and it was the best looking glass and feel of an optic that I have felt/seen.. ever. It was just that nice. It impressed me enough to make a switch. And the M5Xi 3-15 is no slouch of an optic either. I spent a few hours up at Mile High looking at S&B's and I could not find anything that impressed me more then the TT. Just a few nit pick things the S&Bs did that I did not care for. They (S&B) do have many more reticles and IMO better reticles then the gen2xr so that is my only reservation with this optic coming is the reticle. Other then that, I know I personally made the best choice for me. I rarely shoot on anything under 8x on this rifle currently so I don't think Ill have any issue with the Gen2xr. We shall see. Either way, I dont think I have ever been this excited for a scope to show up.. ever!

Rogue556
05-05-17, 23:54
I may eventually check out the Haley sling, as it seems to have the best of both worlds.

Not to get off topic, but I have the HSP D3 sling on one of my rifles. It's low profile and is kept out of the way easy when not in use, but that's really the only upside it has vs the BFG Vickers slings. It's not nearly as easy to adjust as the BFG slings are. Using the pull tab it loosens up nearly as easy, but tightening it up takes way too much effort as it basically requires two hands to tighten it up. I'd definitely try one before you buy one. I prefer the vickers 221 sling to the D3 sling.

zubrato
05-06-17, 00:01
Jeebster, well I did research on gas blocks since I bought a faxon pencil barrel, aero no forward assist upper, looked up cheap but light free float tubes like ALG Defense. Waiting on the GWACS MKIII polymer lower.

And I'm someone who loves my AR but knows I don't need more than one. I feel like if one has glass I can keep another pure irons.

RobertTheTexan
05-06-17, 00:45

Not AR related but I was looking for some Propper Polos. The colors I wanted were back ordered by 2 weeks. So I rethought my wardrobe (clothes were for work) and ordered a shirt they had in stock plus the two shirts on 2 week B/O.

Well the shirt they had "in stock" arrived 2 weeks after the shirts that were back ordered which took three weeks to get here. Took so long I forgot I even ordered them. Thought someone was being nice to me like my wife...then I remembered. Oh wait I did. Over a month ago.

hdrolling
05-06-17, 18:26
Had a great day at the range.
1) Was able to zero and test my Magpul PRO 45 deg offset sights on my DD.
2)Was able to fire for the first time my new BCM, aslo zeroed the Magpul MBUS.
3)Zeroed my new EOTech on the BCM (Love it!)
4)Tested and zeroed my Nikon P223 on my S&W sport II, works great but need a QD mount. I hate the I have to slide it off the rails to remove, no BUIS when it's installed.
5) Reconfirmed my zero with the Aimpoint Pro on the sport II, still dead on at 25yds.
6) Tested and zeroed my new SPARC AR on the sport II, I have to say I really like it now that I've had it for a while and was able to shoot with it today. Initially out of the box I hated it, now it's going to stay on the Sport II. Lighter and smaller footprint than my PRO, I only use it at the range so the battery life isn't an issue for me.
7)Tested my new Vortex Razer HD 50mm spotter scope at the 100yd and 200yd line, could see holes in paper easily.
Overall a very good day!

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/18301530_10155192317490786_4895094412305756205_n_zpskyfccuvl.jpghttp://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/18342357_10155193246520786_3854434599594357293_n_zpsqq4l3oda.jpghttp://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/18221946_10155193246515786_5156416348049066417_n_zpstogmlqgn.jpghttp://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/18222322_10155193246525786_5530378282298041455_n_zpsghnpo20l.jpg

bamashooter
05-06-17, 19:38
Had a great day at the range.
1) Was able to zero and test my Magpul PRO 45 deg offset sights on my DD.
2)Was able to fire for the first time my new BCM, aslo zeroed the Magpul MBUS.
3)Zeroed my new EOTech on the BCM (Love it!)
4)Tested and zeroed my Nikon P223 on my S&W sport II, works great but need a QD mount. I hate the I have to slide it off the rails to remove, no BUIS when it's installed.
5) Reconfirmed my zero with the Aimpoint Pro on the sport II, still dead on at 25yds.
6) Tested and zeroed my new SPARC AR on the sport II, I have to say I really like it now that I've had it for a while and was able to shoot with it today. Initially out of the box I hated it, now it's going to stay on the Sport II. Lighter and smaller footprint than my PRO, I only use it at the range so the battery life isn't an issue for me.
7)Tested my new Vortex Razer HD 50mm spotter scope at the 100yd and 200yd line, could see holes in paper easily.
Overall a very good day!
Looks like you had a great day. Glad to see the Sparc AR has found your love. :cool:

AndyLate
05-06-17, 20:45
I mounted a Leupold vx-2 2-7x on the 20 inch rifle I finished building last week. If the weather is decent at all tomorrow, I will fire it for the first time and then zero it. I'm pretty stoked, it's my first full build.
Andy

Kdubya
05-06-17, 23:36
Had a great day at the range...

Tested and zeroed my new SPARC AR on the sport II, I have to say I really like it now that I've had it for a while and was able to shoot with it today. Initially out of the box I hated it, now it's going to stay on the Sport II. Lighter and smaller footprint than my PRO, I only use it at the range so the battery life isn't an issue for me.

...Overall a very good day!

I told you the micro sights would grow on you. Glad to hear your experience has mirrored mine with the Holosun. I wanted to get it out and zeroed on a new AR today, but the weather didn't cooperate. Went to Gander Mountain instead to check out their liquidation sales. After about 5 minutes in there, it's pretty clear why they're closing their doors for good. Even the "closeout" prices were outrageous.

Gen 2 Pmags for $18. Is there a limit, or can I buy them all??? Now, everyone knows mags need ammo, so how about $13 for some AE 55gr boxes of 20? I don't enjoy seeing people lose their jobs. But, as a firearm enthusiast, I don't know how one could sell things for those crazy prices and not feel they're ripping everyone off.

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow so I can zero this Holosun.

hdrolling
05-07-17, 14:41
I told you the micro sights would grow on you. Glad to hear your experience has mirrored mine with the Holosun. I wanted to get it out and zeroed on a new AR today, but the weather didn't cooperate. Went to Gander Mountain instead to check out their liquidation sales. After about 5 minutes in there, it's pretty clear why they're closing their doors for good. Even the "closeout" prices were outrageous.

Gen 2 Pmags for $18. Is there a limit, or can I buy them all??? Now, everyone knows mags need ammo, so how about $13 for some AE 55gr boxes of 20? I don't enjoy seeing people lose their jobs. But, as a firearm enthusiast, I don't know how one could sell things for those crazy prices and not feel they're ripping everyone off.

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow so I can zero this Holosun.

I'm glad it went from a hate / love scenario rather quickly, I almost never took it back out of the box until others mentioned having the same initial impression. I'm also impressed how well these optics all hold their zero rather well after removing and reinstalling.

Today has been a cleaning day, normally I just use breakfree and Dobbs, thinking about ordering some SLIP 2000 products to try. The SlIP stuff seems to get mentioned on the different forums quite often so I figure it's worth a try.

bamashooter
05-08-17, 13:36
Are you kidding, I thought the one time I ordered from them was a long wait. You hands down have the record now. I plan to zero and test out my offsets tomorrow, as well as the Eotech, SPARK AR and a nikon P223.

Last time I went to the range was with my FIL and all I had time to do was zero my Vortex Viper on my DD and zero the irons on my sport II as well as the Aimpoint PRO. I wasn't to happy that he had me drag him along and then only wanted to stay an hour.

After I zero and test everything in the morning I want to hit the 200 range and try out some Black hills 77gr in my DD M4V11 PRO, I've only shot 55gr at the 50 so far.

Sights arrived today. Maybe zero tomorrow.

Pappabear
05-08-17, 15:52
Remounting my T1 Aimpoint after they fixed it and replaced a broken switch. It would either be full on starburst or nada. Aimpoint did the right thing and fixed it.

Now to rezero !

PB

bamashooter
05-08-17, 16:51
Sights arrived today. Maybe zero tomorrow.

Jinxed from the get go.

Took too long to receive pkg (imo).
Had "read" they were ambi (lefty mostly / long story).
They are ambi if reverse installed.
Doesn't impact sighting. Flip forward; no problem
Peep sight pulls down to shooter (which I kinda like).
Anti-glare flat on rear sight is now forward (no biggie).

I "assumed' (I know, I know) that the apertures within the mounts were reversible. Nope.
So I said what the heck, I'll just mount to the right and rotate weapon left. Totally lose cheek weld so I installed on left side.

Stout little buggers. Windage knob is very tight.

For a 150.00 roll of the dice, I can see their practicality.

Seems like so much shat hung off the little carbine that I'm heading toward either this 40+ pounds love machine

http://i.imgur.com/BNKkubZ.jpg

or with a set of wheels this Filipino jeepney. :rolleyes:

http://i.imgur.com/MC6irlm.jpg

Kdubya
05-08-17, 17:10
Today has been a cleaning day, normally I just use breakfree and Dobbs, thinking about ordering some SLIP 2000 products to try. The SlIP stuff seems to get mentioned on the different forums quite often so I figure it's worth a try.

I've used the traditional Slip EWL for years. It's an excellent product and one I highly recommend. Recently, I have been thinking of trying either EWL 30 or their EWG (grease). Not that I've had any issues with plain old EWL, but I'm looking for a lube that stays in place a little longer on some specific components. Mostly trigger sears and parts of the BCG. I've heard equally good things about EWL 30 and EWG. Just can't decide which I want to try...will probably end up with both :)

RobertTheTexan
05-08-17, 17:29
I've used the traditional Slip EWL for years. It's an excellent product and one I highly recommend. Recently, I have been thinking of trying either EWL 30 or their EWG (grease). Not that I've had any issues with plain old EWL, but I'm looking for a lube that stays in place a little longer on some specific components. Mostly trigger sears and parts of the BCG. I've heard equally good things about EWL 30 and EWG. Just can't decide which I want to try...will probably end up with both :)

I like Slip EWL and use it if I'm not going to fire a weapon for a whole. But my oil I use when hitting the range is nothing but Machine Gunners Lube. I don't know what you call the property that makes it stay on a metal object longer, but whatever it is, it has it.
Here's the link if you have a hankering to try it. I use their springs and you get a little bottle with each order, but I like it enough that I just buy the bigger bottle. I'll see in my shop, I think I have a small little bottle from my LR-308 spring order that I haven't opened. I'll send it to you if you want to try it. PM me your address. And no while they are in fact about 45 minutes from me, down in Austin, they don't even know I exist. Except for a customer number in their database. :)

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

Scroll all the way down.

Kdubya
05-08-17, 20:17
I like Slip EWL and use it if I'm not going to fire a weapon for a whole. But my oil I use when hitting the range is nothing but Machine Gunners Lube. I don't know what you call the property that makes it stay on a metal object longer, but whatever it is, it has it.
Here's the link if you have a hankering to try it. I use their springs and you get a little bottle with each order, but I like it enough that I just buy the bigger bottle. I'll see in my shop, I think I have a small little bottle from my LR-308 spring order that I haven't opened. I'll send it to you if you want to try it. PM me your address. And no while they are in fact about 45 minutes from me, down in Austin, they don't even know I exist. Except for a customer number in their database. :)

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

Scroll all the way down.

Thanks for tip, RTT! I've seen it before on Sprinco's website but never gave it much thought. I always appreciate your perspective and opinions. If you say it's good stuff, I'd imagine it's worth trying. Even greater than your perspective has always been your generosity. You've revived and kept alive the PIF thread a number of times.

If you're offering, I'll gladly take a sample. I'll send a PM shortly.

Is it the viscosity you're trying to describe with the Machine Gunners Lube? Does it seem thicker than EWL?

Again, thanks for your generosity. You're a stand up guy.

Diamondback
05-08-17, 20:40
Had an educational day with the Gremlin's EPL and my new cordless drill...

FCG-pin holes: Punched all the way across the unmilled blank, smooth as if the drill was riding on oiled glass rails.
Trigger slot ends: Took some doing, but doing a pilot bore with my 3/32 bit, then the 1/4 then the 5/16 got 'em. Useful lesson learned: 'Reverse' has more use than just screws, it can also be used to extract debris, or the bit, from the bore.
Trigger slot, space between ends: OOPS. Little web between the holes is putting up a BIG fight, only have it knocked down to about 1/3 of the way through. Lesson learned: drill pilot hole at slot center in addition to ends, and start boring it first.

All in all, a fairly productive lunch-hour... even though power tools seem a lot harder work than the last time I used one in Shop class 20 years ago.

battlestage
05-08-17, 20:49
Installed the new barrel properly. Didn't have proper tools before so it was just on there.

Benito
05-08-17, 23:25
Played around with my adjustable gas block and zeroed after an optics swap.
Discovered that group size shrinks in half when the gas is turned off. Interesting.

XM15M4Guy
05-09-17, 05:35
Added a Geissele Super Charging handle to my 6920

RobertTheTexan
05-09-17, 08:34
Thanks Kdub, it's funny oils are like triggers or barrels. Some people are pretty passionate about it. Me? I'd use Can risco shortening if it kept me in the fight. I have a friend that uses GAA (Grease, Automotive, Artillery) on his AR. Basically wheel bearing grease.
Anyway your package is on the way.. A "battle bottle" it's tiny but hopefully you can determine if it works for you.

Eurodriver
05-09-17, 08:54
Ran it over with a truck.

hdrolling
05-09-17, 10:27
Ran it over with a truck.

Was it in the road protesting?

xeero
05-09-17, 18:56
Attached Blue Force Vickers sling and reinstalled Steiner PX4i.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Diamondback
05-09-17, 19:15
Lunch Hour EPL Machining, Day 2.

Trigger-slot web between end holes taking forever to go down. Next time, center FIRST then ends. Ditto "tail" of FCG pocket--next time "unguided" front-half first, then finish with jig-guided rearmost section.

End mill bit plus cordless drill = No Bueno. Must remember to pick up drill stand and small vice.

Drill is getting heavy and tiring. But I wouldn't be doing this if it were EASY...

Evening update with new parts in hand: after some measuring to verify Pmag 40 fit (it'll clear the folded buffer tube, if it'll rack into the carrier!) left-front (had to use a 5" to fit the mag carrier as far forward as possible, was hoping I copuld get by with a shorty to save weight) and bottom-rear (I want that PTK snugged up right up to the magwell) are installed. Need to check some clearances to see if two 30's or a 30 and a 40 on the right will clear the ejection path... which I can't do until mags and carriers come in.

Locutus
05-10-17, 04:27
Ordered a Leupold VX-R (https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-3-9x40mm-30mm/) last night. Youngest son works part time at Gander Mountain (his daytime job is Bureau of Prisons) and he gets a 60% discount. Figured I'd better take advantage of this before Gander goes under in September.

This will go perfect with my Frankengun (Aero receivers/Faxon Gunner barrel)! :D

556BlackRifle
05-10-17, 09:20
Ordered a Leupold VX-R (https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-3-9x40mm-30mm/) last night. Youngest son works part time at Gander Mountain (his daytime job is Bureau of Prisons) and he gets a 60% discount. Figured I'd better take advantage of this before Gander goes under in September.

This will go perfect with my Frankengun (Aero receivers/Faxon Gunner barrel)! :D

That should be a nice setup. At 60% off, you could set up a side business. ;)

I have a Mark AR 1-4x with the FireDot and it has been a pleasure to shoot. I went with an ADM QD mount. Return to zero is not great but it's close enough that rezeroing is quickly accomplished.

Zim
05-10-17, 09:56
I bought a pair of Mega Forged Uppers to replace a pair of VLTOR uppers currently in use that don't play nice with Mega Forged Lowers and anything that isn't a USGI mag.

BadgerPeak
05-10-17, 11:59
But an adjustable gas block on a friend's badly overgassed AP gun.

Runs like it should now, but that shouldn't be required on a complete factory gun. Grr.

Jwknutson17
05-10-17, 16:46
Went totally OCD on leveling an optic on my APC. Using tinfoil to shim the KAC bubble level to match the receiver and matching the optic to that. Could not use my arisaka optic leveler on the Geissele mount with the TT as there is no clearance. If you breath on this starrett level the bubble moves drastically. But its dead nuts on.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah294/jwknutson17/IMG_2562_zps45iqsglt.png (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/jwknutson17/media/IMG_2562_zps45iqsglt.png.html)

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah294/jwknutson17/IMG_2563_zpswlef1heo.png (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/jwknutson17/media/IMG_2563_zpswlef1heo.png.html)

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah294/jwknutson17/IMG_2564_zpsxjumob9d.png (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/jwknutson17/media/IMG_2564_zpsxjumob9d.png.html)

Diamondback
05-10-17, 17:13
Lunch Hour Lower, Day 3:

So, using my fancy-ass end-mill bit won't work without further tool purchases. Workaround: Do it just like the early 80-percenters did, with lots of little holes. Have starters for a ring of 3/32's all the way around the FCG pocket and pilots for 1/4's at the corners, and at the same time I'm going to work out from the bored-through trigger-slot hole using my 5/16 and 3/8 bits. If all the end-mill has to do is smooth out the bottom, that shouldn't be too much work, right?

Onward. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!

hdrolling
05-11-17, 08:32
Picked up some more BCM keymod rail covers for my DDM4V11 PRO, love how thin they are. Tried them on my BCM last week at the range and for such a cheap mod figured it was worth it for my DD.

Also picked up some Butler Creek flip covers for my Vortex Viper scope, I've read they break a lot but figured I'd give them a try since their a cheap option. I hate having to keep removing the bikini cover that came with the scope.

Ordered a SLIP2000 2oz sampler pack with the EWL/725 gun degreaser cleaner/carbon killer bore cleaner. Should be here today, already cleaned the rifles but I'll give them a try after the next range day.

I have a Magpul PRO front sight arriving today to replace the gen II that is on the front of my BCM now, didn't like that I needed a tool to adjust the gen II and the used one I bought didn't come with one. I tried the bullet like an A2 front sight post but couldn't get it to move. So it had to go, also I like the lower profile of the pro sight.

And the best deal of the day today was I found a like new used Aimpoint T1 micro (no mount) for $400 shipped. I think it's going on my BCM, moving the EOTech 3-0 and G33 to my DD. That will keep my BCM nice and light, the DD is already heavy so alternating between the scope and the Eotech depending on what I'm doing at the range won't matter much.

Also debating removing the PRS stock from my DD, it looks cool and balances out the rifle but makes the rifle very heavy. Not sure the extra weight is worth it since I don't use the cheek riser or rear adjustment. I can't decide what I prefer......

bamashooter
05-11-17, 15:45
Good stuff. I've had several sets and single Butler Creek flippers and never experienced breakage or anything negative. These have been the older design without the auto-button.

Diamondback
05-11-17, 16:16
Lunch Hour Lower, Day Four:

Turns out the end-mill is still very necessary, just that wen spinning in a cordless it needs a warm-up band (lots of little holes from smaller bits) before the Main Event hits the stage. If you think you have enough of those smaller holes, DRILL MORE ANYWAY. Everywhere you can.

As of right now: buttload of 3/32, 1/4 and 3/8 holes to 31mm depth--yes, I KNOW TDP is 1.249" from top deck; I wanted to be close but short to leave a little for "final polish" since you can always take material off but never put it back on. FCG sorted into four distinct "sections" each taken down about halfway to goal: trigger-tail (full depth) behind trigger slot, trigger slot and before TS. Each are separated by thick webs of plastic where I should have drilled more pilot holes.

Stillmaing headway, still learning--"this works, that coulda been thought out/done better."

hdrolling
05-11-17, 17:31
Good stuff. I've had several sets and single Butler Creek flippers and never experienced breakage or anything negative. These have been the older design without the auto-button.

They fit perfect, my eye piece has the yellow trigger to auto flip. Seem to work well enough, I don't plan to do any IMT or other battle drills with this rifle so I should be good.

Now the hunt is one for a QD mount for the T1, so far I have my eye on the LaRue, the Bobro and the Scalarworks. I like the light weight Scalarworks but it seems everyone but Scalarworks has them in out of stock. Waiting to find a discount on one of the three and that will be who I go with I'm guessing.

TexHill
05-11-17, 18:49
I installed a Geissele SD-C trigger in my new Daniel Defense M4v7LW.

Rogue556
05-11-17, 19:38
Went totally OCD on leveling an optic on my APC. Using tinfoil to shim the KAC bubble level to match the receiver and matching the optic to that. Could not use my arisaka optic leveler on the Geissele mount with the TT as there is no clearance. If you breath on this starrett level the bubble moves drastically. But its dead nuts on.

That's awesome. Not sure it would make much of a difference over all, but I plan to level my NXS on my SPR just like this. What level is that your using on the receiver? I've got the Geissele mount and KAC rail mounted level as well, but still need a small accurate bubble level.

Kdubya
05-11-17, 21:07
Came home to find a sample of Machine Gunners Lube. Thanks again Robert! Looking forward to trying this out.

bamashooter
05-11-17, 22:05
Ordered the basic M&P 15-22 today along with 4 additional magazines (25 round capacity each). Ordering a red dot for it probably during Memorial Day sales. Got it to begin training my 7 yr old grandson and 12 year old granddaughter on evil black guns. Hope to have a summertime full of shooting it, my 10/22, and Colt/Walther/Umarex (LoL) 1911 .22lr with the kids. Then proceed from there.

Tigereye
05-12-17, 05:48
I finally built the Mega lower with A5 extension, Geissele G2S, and BAD ambi selector. Need to pick up a B5 stock. Will add this to a BCM blem upper with Faxon Gunner barrel with ALG hand guard.

Krazykarl
05-12-17, 07:07
Been sitting on 500 rds of IMI mk 262 for several months. Finally zeroed my HD carbine with it. Colt upper with pinned 14.5 barrel. Maybe 1 moa lower. But definitely 4 moa to the right compared to m193. Group size similar in both produced 4 moa with ten shot strings. Rifle has an ancient trijicon acog reflex on it. My brother's hand me down patrol optic...

I also shot same ammo through a 20" BM with fixed 8x Leopold scope. This rifle was purchased month after the assault weapon non sense sunsetted away. The bushmaster loves 55 gr handloads 10 shot strings 1.75 moa. The mk262 shot 2 moa groups. Shifted high and left at 11:00. 5 moa away from m193.

I am late transitioning. But I have now evolved to a better ammunition with superior terminal ballistics.

cl2
05-12-17, 08:25
I took the 16" barrel of my 6920 and installed a 14.5" barrel, ris ii rail, and a surefire flash hider. I'll test fire everything on my SBR lower this weekend, and if everything is good, pin the flash hider.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/cb7b71aa6ccfe8528038da4c2b3d21da.jpg

Diamondback
05-12-17, 12:51
Lunch Hour Lower, Day Four (yesterday's entry):
End-mill still required, just needs some warm-up acts before the Main Event. Missed spacings on a few of the Swiss-cheese holes, so having to SLOWLY grind those down until I can chisel and pry-bar them down.

Other than two annoyingly determined cross-bars of plastic, one behind the trigger slot and the other at the front of the trigger/safety "tail," down to about 1/3 of the FCG pocket to go. Yep, whole lotta lessons learned for #2, #3 and #4 before I get to cutting on "good stuff"...

hdrolling
05-12-17, 13:31
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/cb7b71aa6ccfe8528038da4c2b3d21da.jpg

Rain Bird WR2 Wireless Rain/Freeze Sensors for your sprinkler system were just on sale for $50 shipped from lowes, saw you didn't have one.......Our water company gives us a $50 credit on our bill for buying and installing one so it was pretty much free. Something to look into.

Also the new barrel looks sick, hope it performs well!

Diamondback
05-12-17, 15:34
Lunch Hour Lower, day 5:

Entire FCG pocket milled to 34mm depth aside from a few problem areas. "Webs" between pocket sections gone. Front section ready for hammer install... trigger area needs to come down four more mm minimum. (I'm working to "minimum parts clearance plus a hair of movement room" rather than AR TDP... I DO NOT trust this lower, especially with some early mistakes I made machining it, and am hoping that extra material will add some structural strength to help compensate.)

hdrolling
05-12-17, 18:16
Picked up some new parts, I like the magpul BAD but it blocks the trigger pins. Going to try a phase 5 extended bolt catch, now that I have used the magpul on two of my rifles I'm sold. The phase 5 will be going on my BCM.

The only extra butt stock I had to replace the the GI style on my BCM was a magpul SL-K, I hate how much it rattles! So I grabbed a CTR and the .70 enhanced butt pad for it.

Decided on a Bobro 1/3 lower mount for my Aimpoint T1, ordered it today so I should have it Mon.

officerX
05-12-17, 19:15
Picked up some new parts, I like the magpul BAD but it blocks the trigger pins. Going to try a phase 5 extended bolt catch, now that I have used the magpul on two of my rifles I'm sold. The phase 5 will be going on my BCM.

The Tactical Link EBAL is my favorite but they don't make it any more. I've tried the Troy version but it doesn't stick out enough on the right side for me.

Fordtough25
05-13-17, 08:46
I ran a couple hundred through my recce Noveske yesterday with barricades and transitions. Loving the Leopold patrol scope it's slick!! Ran the a2 clone as well and remembered that irons work great for quick work.

Locutus
05-13-17, 09:00
I ran a couple hundred through my recce Noveske yesterday with barricades and transitions. Loving the Leopoldo patrol scope it's slick!! Ran the a2 clone as well and remembered that irons work great for quick work.

Is that the VX-R Patrol model? I've got one on its way.

Fordtough25
05-13-17, 09:34
Is that the VX-R Patrol model? I've got one on its way.

Sure is! Best scope I've ever had and works great in the leupold mount. I'm a fan for sure.

Locutus
05-13-17, 09:47
Sure is! Best scope I've ever had and works great in the leupold mount. I'm a fan for sure.

Excellent. My son got it on a 60% discount and he says it will arrive next Friday. I'm glad to hear you like your so much. I bought a fixed Weaver cantilever mount and I figured I'd get offset BUIS and never remove the scope.

Fletch10
05-14-17, 00:37
Ordered an Atlas bipod with a Larue QD mount a couple weeks ago. Received and installed on my SPR. It's my first experience with an Atlas bipod, I must say I'm very pleased with the design and build quality. Only time will tell how I like it at the range.

hdrolling
05-14-17, 14:35
My Bobro mount arrived today, that's some fast shipping! My Aimpoint T1 is due to arrive tomorrow, curious to see how it differs from my Vortex SPARC AR.

Tacbear
05-14-17, 15:30
I just put a Velocity 3# trigger in.....best $135.00 you will ever spend. The owner of Velocity worked at Timney for years and it shows!!

hdrolling
05-15-17, 21:35
Installed the Phase 5 extended bolt catch on my BCM today, love it! It feels more solid than the magpul BAD that I have on my other two rifles, still the BAD works well enough for now since the price of the the Phase 5 is almost double. I do like that if I need to do any trigger swaps I'll be able to keep the phase 5 on, the magpul BADs have to be removed to get to the trigger pin.

I traded out the Magpul SL-K for the CTR , no more butt stock wiggle!

Decided the weight of the PRS stock on my DD wasn't going to work for my, put the OEM buffer tube and butt stock back on. I'll keep the Harris bipod and Vortex scope to use at the range, but for now I'm going to keep the EOTech w/ G33 on my M4V11 PRO.

So with the arrival of my Aimpoint T1 today I was able to compare to my SPARC AR, the SPARC is like a cross bread of the T1 and T2. I couldn't see much difference in size or weight, but the red dot is there when I pull my rifle up. With the SPARK I had the adjust the rifle to get the red dot correct. I still see no issue with the SPARC,but I had to train myself to grab my rifle a certain way to get it to come up n target for me (yes with both eyes open). With the Aimpoint T1 everytime I brought up my rifle where it felt natural the red dot was there, that's what I need.

Decided to put the SPARC AR back in my safe for now and put the Aimpoint PRO back on my S&W sport II for now.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8477_zpsaazccmux.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8479_zps7uhfzs8l.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8473_zpsovw6creb.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8474_zpsxxtps4yb.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8480_zpsa1pzxno6.jpg

Diamondback
05-15-17, 22:11
Lunch Hour Lower, Day Six: NOTHING accomplished. No machining operations due to the Evil Old Crab deciding to telecommute from home and insisting on absolute silence, never mind me having MY OWN business to do. "Why can't you go to your office like a civilized person?"

Stickman
05-15-17, 22:53
Used the new AImpoint military 3X and 6X models to aid in sighting in some RDOs.

hdrolling
05-16-17, 11:51
Mounted the Magpul PRO BUIS on the front today, if the GEN II sights weren't given to me I would be kicking myself for not just getting the PRO in the first place. Slimmer profile and thinner needle, looks and feels much better looking down the barrel of my BCM. And no tool or bullet to adjust the front sight!

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8482_zpse18zpp8s.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8483_zpsdjipusd4.jpg

Diamondback
05-16-17, 17:43
Lunch Hour Lower, Say 7: FINALLY! FCG pocket done enough for parts fit (passed function check). Iraqgunz would toss me outta his class if I showed up with this and Stickman would probably consier it unfit to shoot other than as a target, hell *I'm* not proud to call this my work, but considering this is a first-time blank done freehand with a cordless drill and not even a vise, it came out less junk than I expected. Not something I'd ever bet anyone's life on, but just might be OK for Range Use only rather than the Crunch-and-Can I was expecting. (The little white spot is putty... I put a 3/32 bit just barely through the side there, and while I have no delusions about any structure it's just meant to keep outside crud out.)

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/Diamondback6/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-05/20170516_145311_zpsg3qeigvh.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/Diamondback6/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-05/20170516_145316_zpspp3lehlm.jpg

hdrolling
05-20-17, 16:39
Zero'ed the Aimpoint T1 today, on my BCM. Very nice optic, I had asked earlier when I bought my SPARK AR (that I didn't like) if all micro red dots were the same. They are not, I could get use the the SPARK but the T1 is great right out of the box.

Shot my Daniel defense with the original buffer tube and stock, I shot the same as I did with the PRS butt stock. But now the rifle is 2-3 lbs lighter.

MegademiC
05-20-17, 17:03
Installed a bcm vfg mod3 on the urxiii. So far it seems a lot more natural than the grip stop. Timer will tell.

Jpoe88
05-20-17, 18:08
Sent parts with a friend to have assembled into a rifle. Don't have the stuff to do an upper yet, so I just let him do the whole thing.

wigbones
05-21-17, 17:29
Today I swapped the Vltor A5 receiver extension on one of my rifles for the new Magpul 10 position receiver extension. Then I used the Vltor extension to replace a regular mil spec extension on one of my spare lowers. I'd been wanting to do this for over a month now and today it finally got done.

hdrolling
05-21-17, 18:06
Today I swapped the Vltor A5 receiver extension on one of my rifles for the new Magpul 10 position receiver extension. Then I used the Vltor extension to replace a regular mil spec extension on one of my spare lowers. I'd been wanting to do this for over a month now and today it finally got done.

Being new to aftermarket parts and reading how popular this mod is I have to ask what the benefit is? Just to adjust your butt stock a little more?

wigbones
05-21-17, 18:17
In this particular case I was already planning to swap out the mil extension on my spare lower for an A5 extension. Nearly all my lowers run an A5 for the sake of consistency and a wider range of operation. The biggest reason I put the Magpul extension in place of the Vltor extension on the rifle I'm using is because of the 3 extra position holes.
This particular rifle is the shortest one I own and the extra 3 position adjustments should come in handy when trying to size it comfortably, for my wife especially.

RobertTheTexan
05-21-17, 18:31
Today I swapped the Vltor A5 receiver extension on one of my rifles for the new Magpul 10 position receiver extension.

As soon as I read this I was like where is the E&E post?? lol. Glad you got some time to work on your own stuff.

wigbones
05-21-17, 18:39
[QUOTE=RobertTheTexan;2495390]As soon as I read this I was like where is the E&E post?? lol. Glad you got some time to work on your own stuff.

Haha thanks. It took me longer than it should have to get around to doing this. I also added a Magpul SL stock I recently bought to one of my lowers.

RobertTheTexan
05-21-17, 19:02
[QUOTE=RobertTheTexan;2495390]As soon as I read this I was like where is the E&E post?? lol. Glad you got some time to work on your own stuff.

Haha thanks. It took me longer than it should have to get around to doing this. I also added a Magpul SL stock I recently bought to one of my lowers.

Have you got your hands on the SL-S? You know I love my Vltor Emod's but that SL- S is growing on me. I pulled off one of my LMT stocks and replaced it with one. The battery compartment access is finally in the right spot. It's like an improved STR. Lock up is very nice and tight and it's really working out on my CQ AR's.

RobertTheTexan
05-21-17, 19:21
Well this weekend I received a brand spanking new KAC trigger guard since I had to take my last one to the drill to get it to work with my first KAC stripped lower. So I popped that in, replacing the DSG Arms trigger guard on every single other build. I pulled off my last Magpul BAD lever and replaced it with Troy's ambi bolt catch, which I prefer . That will be going on the E&E along with
a few other items. Oh and I pulled out a CMC curved trigger, an extremely complex monumental task I know. And replaced it with a Hiperfire EDT2
Which I really REALLY like.

wigbones
05-21-17, 19:24
I haven't tried the SL-S yet but I've been eyeing one for a short while now. That's probably going to be my next acquisition. I have one STR that I really like but it has a slight wobble even with the friction lock. If the SL-S locks as tight as the SL I may find myself replacing a couple of my current stocks.

RobertTheTexan
05-21-17, 20:04
If the SL-S locks as tight as the SL I may find myself replacing a couple of my current stocks.

I have two now and other of them lock up as tight as any of my other stocks and I've tried a few. I'm going to continue "testing" it but I think I will end up pulling all my LMT's off and replacing them with the SL-S.
My Emod's are safe and secure though. It's still my favorite.

Long Range Trigger Monkey
05-21-17, 20:26
This past week I did some reconfiguring on my two AR's so that basically there was a greater distinction between the two and I didn't simply have two similar looking recce rifles. My 2-gun rifle was rebuilt into my "DMR" with new Rainier Arms 18" barrel and a slew of BCM parts that just came in while my former DMR is going to be taking over recce duties with a LPV and some other BCM parts.

Now the trouble is that I have the old 16" ML barrel, BCG, gas block, gas tube, an old charging handle, and a couple muzzle devices. Shoot who knows, maybe I'll build another upper just for fun.

MistWolf
05-21-17, 21:30
Got the receiver back from the engraver's and re-assembled the Wolf Pup.
The engraver's did a nice job of engraving the double bullet icon in the third position for the binary trigger
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/DSC_0420_zpszejro3zg.jpg

Next will be to fix the paint job

Vegas
05-21-17, 22:05
Shot my 12.5 Noveske mid length barreled upper today. Dinged a couple of hits on a 3 inch steel plate at 225 with a 1-6. This AR is easily my favorite set up now.

RobertTheTexan
05-22-17, 05:43
Shot my 12.5 Noveske mid length barreled upper today. Dinged a couple of hits on a 3 inch steel plate at 225 with a 1-6. This AR is easily my favorite set up now.

What 1-6 do you have mounted on that laser? :-)

Diamondback
05-24-17, 03:55
Latest round of fitting on the Gremlin. Note that there is still no barrel or BCG, this is just test-fitting and getting a general feel for parts placement--I want the "dazzler" light mounted so a flick of my thumb blinds everybody in the room, but not so close I'll light it off by accident. (Hence two lights on opposite sides with two different button systems, so I know by feel which one I'm flipping on.) The tape and Coast PX20 light are just to mock up position--the PX20 will mount on the other side as my low-power "general navigation" light with an Vltor Scout Mount on the left FSB-mount, with similar mounting on the right for the blinder. KAC rail-panel marks intended mounting location for right-side mag carrier; Indian Creek BFD flashcan will extend another two inches past end of handguard, which will hopefully be enough to protect the mag and ammo. (You can bet I will be testing with dummies before I put a live magazine anywhere near that close to the muzzle!)
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/Diamondback6/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-05/20170524_003439_zps2bkmn1dx.jpg

Charging handle and Shockwave Blade ordered--black was the only color that was on the sale, so either I'll hit it with my can of OD Rustoleum or I'll have my pro smith Cerakote it when he does the upper parts for me. And now bonehead me has to go find a replacement port-cover spring...

JC5188
05-24-17, 05:15
Latest round of fitting on the Gremlin. Note that there is still no barrel or BCG, this is just test-fitting and getting a general feel for parts placement--I want the "dazzler" light mounted so a flick of my thumb blinds everybody in the room, but not so close I'll light it off by accident. (Hence two lights on opposite sides with two different button systems, so I know by feel which one I'm flipping on.) The tape and Coast PX20 light are just to mock up position--the PX20 will mount on the other side as my low-power "general navigation" light with an Vltor Scout Mount on the left FSB-mount, with similar mounting on the right for the blinder. KAC rail-panel marks intended mounting location for right-side mag carrier; Indian Creek BFD flashcan will extend another two inches past end of handguard, which will hopefully be enough to protect the mag and ammo. (You can bet I will be testing with dummies before I put a live magazine anywhere near that close to the muzzle!)
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/Diamondback6/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-05/20170524_003439_zps2bkmn1dx.jpg

Charging handle and Shockwave Blade ordered--black was the only color that was on the sale, so either I'll hit it with my can of OD Rustoleum or I'll have my pro smith Cerakote it when he does the upper parts for me. And now bonehead me has to go find a replacement port-cover spring...

I must be missing something?

You are going to have two lights and a mag/mag carrier mounted forward by the muzzle? On a pistol?

Pic is kinda hard to make out.

Diamondback
05-24-17, 05:48
I must be missing something?

You are going to have two lights and a mag/mag carrier mounted forward by the muzzle? On a pistol?

Pic is kinda hard to make out.

It's about the best my crappy phone can do.

Two lights was explained in another thread; I have very light-sensitive eyes (as in, have to wear polarized lenses almost all the time) so if I mount a typical tactical light and pop it on I'm going to be as blinded as if someone popped a flashbang unless I'm extremely careful. Hence a low-power red beam like the PX20 there for a "nav/location light" and then something else for "leveling the playing field by fricasseeing every eye in the room." Coast may not have the name or pricetag or MilSpec-appeal of Surefire or Streamlight, but their stuff's always taken everything I had to throw at it and asked for more, so until I find something lighter weight that my budget can work with... I may not even throw the second light on. And actually, the muzzle will be about 2.5"-3" ahead of the handguard end, by the time the flash suppressor and blast deflector are taken into account...

Besides, that way I also have two lights in my bag that I know exactly where they are... the mag carriers are to keep a ready reload handy, since the operating environment requires this thing to only start with a ten-round in the well I want the next 30 or 40 right there with it if the beast has to come out of the bag to ruin some Jihadi Jerkoff's day. The idea is a discreet-carry bottom-of-briefcase PDW, something that first and foremost should it print against bag side the bulge says "nope, not a gun, nothing to see here, these aren't the droids you're looking for, go about your business, move along." That A2 is only or mockup; a folding grip and LAW Tactical sidefold adapter are going on before it's cleared for range testing, and of course that gaudy-awful lime green color is going away before then too--I have no qualms about buying a discounted-for-inventory-reduction color like the recent 90%-off-on-pink SIG Braces and hosing it down with a quick spritz from my trusty can of Olive Drab Rustoleum.

This also explains why the AFG is snuggled up right to the magwell, other than my short stubby little arms; trading ease of takedown (though it seemed to have enough range-of-motion in limited testing) for "break up the gun outline."

I should note that this is only a concept-development piece with full intention of trial-and-error refinement; for real defensive work I have a 5" 1911 I'm far more comfortable with and know a heck of a lot better than I do any AR because it's been with me almost my entire adult life.

hdrolling
05-24-17, 10:02
Finished my finally cleaning from last weekends range time. The slick2000 carbon killer seems to work okay but once it's all used I think just using CLP works fine for my use.

Getting a little tired of burning my hands on my S&W sport II bayonet stud, trying to decide if I want to drop in a 12" Troy extended hand guard in it or just remove the A2 front sight post and put a low pro gas block and full free float. The sport II is my beater rifle and will be passed down to my oldest Son when I think he's ready. I'm guessing the cost for either hand rail and gas block would run about the same, if I leave the A2 on I'll maintain the warranty. Still researching.....

Kdubya
05-24-17, 13:03
Finished my finally cleaning from last weekends range time. The slick2000 carbon killer seems to work okay but once it's all used I think just using CLP works fine for my use.

Getting a little tired of burning my hands on my S&W sport II bayonet stud, trying to decide if I want to drop in a 12" Troy extended hand guard in it or just remove the A2 front sight post and put a low pro gas block and full free float. The sport II is my beater rifle and will be passed down to my oldest Son when I think he's ready. I'm guessing the cost for either hand rail and gas block would run about the same, if I leave the A2 on I'll maintain the warranty. Still researching.....

Have you considered simply grinding/cutting off the lug? It'd be a lot more cost effective and would be an interim solution that saves your hand while you figure out what you actually want to do won the HG/GB.

hdrolling
05-24-17, 16:03
Have you considered simply grinding/cutting off the lug? It'd be a lot more cost effective and would be an interim solution that saves your hand while you figure out what you actually want to do won the HG/GB.

I had thought about chopping the entire front sight post to make it a low pro gas block, but if I leave it intact I will have it in the event I need to re install for warranty issues.

Tigereye
05-24-17, 18:04
Got a B5 stock for the lower that I finished this week.

IndianaBoy
05-24-17, 20:04
Shot a raccoon with distemper with the AR pistol.

Shot the 3-gun rifle and suppressed carbine at steel @568 yards to check zero because there was no wind.

First round pings from cold bore. 8/10 hits with both rifles. I was satisfied with that.

JC5188
05-25-17, 07:07
It's about the best my crappy phone can do.

Two lights was explained in another thread; I have very light-sensitive eyes (as in, have to wear polarized lenses almost all the time) so if I mount a typical tactical light and pop it on I'm going to be as blinded as if someone popped a flashbang unless I'm extremely careful. Hence a low-power red beam like the PX20 there for a "nav/location light" and then something else for "leveling the playing field by fricasseeing every eye in the room." Coast may not have the name or pricetag or MilSpec-appeal of Surefire or Streamlight, but their stuff's always taken everything I had to throw at it and asked for more, so until I find something lighter weight that my budget can work with... I may not even throw the second light on. And actually, the muzzle will be about 2.5"-3" ahead of the handguard end, by the time the flash suppressor and blast deflector are taken into account...

Besides, that way I also have two lights in my bag that I know exactly where they are... the mag carriers are to keep a ready reload handy, since the operating environment requires this thing to only start with a ten-round in the well I want the next 30 or 40 right there with it if the beast has to come out of the bag to ruin some Jihadi Jerkoff's day. The idea is a discreet-carry bottom-of-briefcase PDW, something that first and foremost should it print against bag side the bulge says "nope, not a gun, nothing to see here, these aren't the droids you're looking for, go about your business, move along." That A2 is only or mockup; a folding grip and LAW Tactical sidefold adapter are going on before it's cleared for range testing, and of course that gaudy-awful lime green color is going away before then too--I have no qualms about buying a discounted-for-inventory-reduction color like the recent 90%-off-on-pink SIG Braces and hosing it down with a quick spritz from my trusty can of Olive Drab Rustoleum.

This also explains why the AFG is snuggled up right to the magwell, other than my short stubby little arms; trading ease of takedown (though it seemed to have enough range-of-motion in limited testing) for "break up the gun outline."

I should note that this is only a concept-development piece with full intention of trial-and-error refinement; for real defensive work I have a 5" 1911 I'm far more comfortable with and know a heck of a lot better than I do any AR because it's been with me almost my entire adult life.

Wasn't dogging your choice of gear...hey, we have what we have.

Was genuinely curious as I've never seen a setup with mags/couplers and multiple lights mounted so far forward, as to require muzzle blast shielding.

One light, even forward of the MD, I've seen.

Diamondback
05-25-17, 08:01
Amigo, wasn't trying to be snappish, my apologies. The BFD actually went on the spec-sheet before anything else, since AR pistols have a rep for being rather nasty in the blast department, so it's not "adding a collar to protect mounted crap" so much as "exploiting existing resources and capabilities." :)

As I compare a PMag-30 to the mockup in folded position, I'm not sure a 40 will fit on the left side with only an inch or so between tube end and receiver front. So maybe use the CASV slant surface as thumbrest, repurpose the thumbrest into a front handstop (which it's also designed to work as), and see if a 40 on the right will clear the ejection port--the only things I'm really married to here are "start with Mk 18 engineering*, fixed front sight to reduce unfold time, blast mitigation system, fold as short as possible while meeting other requirements, break up outline so nobody knows it's a gun until it leaves the bag," the idea having come from a buddy in local LE and I discussing counter-Active Shooter scenarios and options.
*Hence the CASV--the upper spec is basically an EOD Mk 18 Mod 0 upper with the shorter Mod 1 barrel swapped in. I'd have added their Arredondo magwell too, except that I'm not sure how well it plays with short-stacks and I'm not sure how much height it adds to know if it fits the "Break Up The Gun Shape" requirement.

EDIT: Checked out the Arredondo and it's WAY too long.

Fuzzy-Reticle
05-25-17, 08:03
Replaced the crunchy OEM trigger in my 6920 with an ALG ACT. Also added a BCM charging handle.

hdrolling
05-26-17, 21:39
Finished loading some mags for the range tomorrow, going to try some black hills 69 and 77gr rounds with my DD PRO. Almost time to order another 1000 rds of wolf gold 55gr, haven't had one misfire out of the 600-700 rds I fired so far.

Also wiped down all three rifles, that slip2000 lays on much heavier than I'm use to.

AR-n-Ky
05-26-17, 22:23
I add a GDI R-COM E-Model mount to my 2.5X scope today on my SBR. I haven't gotten to zero it yet, looks like next Friday might be the closest day.

bamashooter
05-26-17, 22:36
Kinda related. Assembled one of those 7 gun free standing vertical wooden rifle racks. Wanted to have good air circulation around ARs and others instead of sitting in cases.

T2C
05-26-17, 22:45
Fired 450 rounds through the carbine.

hdrolling
06-03-17, 07:39
Started my first build with a KAC lower.

From what I've seen the BCM LPK looks like the kit I'm going to use, it comes with the BCM pistol grip and trigger. I want a BCM pistol grip anyways and the BCM trigger I'm using on my sport II works okay so for now the one in the kit will work until I decide what trigger I want to really use.

Since this is going to be a pistol I'm looking at the Fab 5 pistol tube w/ spring and buffer kit. I need to get a form 1 done and sent off so I can start the process, going to be a long year but I'll still have it in pistol form until then.

JRHorne
06-03-17, 14:29
Picked up a complete BCM upper from Mooseman to go with my BCM upper. Slapped it on, stripped down my DelTon (removed KNS pins, MBT2S, etc) and sold the DelTon lower and a PSA complete lower I had laying around from last fall, pre-Hillary.

Ordered a Sionics complete upper from Western and received it. Took the DD rail off (almost) and will like go with a KMR or maybe URX, etc. Thinking of buying a stripped Sionics lower and sending the rail, lower, and upper off to be cerakoted dark burnt bronze.

Still have a stripped billet lower I am trying to decide what to do with. I am thinking Form 1 it and then do a Noveske 10.5" upper.

Tigereye
06-03-17, 18:09
Took a friend shooting today. Mainly pistols teaching him to shoot various pistols and calibers. But, I let him shoot a couple of different AR's. He had a big time shooting AR's for the first time and couldn't believe the accuracy of the platform.

czgunner
06-04-17, 10:43
Finally got my colt rifle receiver extension delivered and installed on my LaRue barreled rifle.
I can't seem to find the colt rifle buffer in stock anywhere. Right now it has a "Brownells", and that is probably dpms. [emoji849]
Using the flat coil spring that was in my parts box.

ElGancho
06-04-17, 16:43
Debated going to the range,wx was crap so I cleaned them instead.

hdrolling
06-05-17, 09:31
Loading mags for some testing this weekend, I picked up some more types of ammo to try out.

50 rds each of:

BLACK HILLS AMMUNITION - 5.56X45MM NATO 77GR OPEN TIP MATCH AMMO
BLACK HILLS AMMUNITION - REMANUFACTURED AMMO 223 REMINGTON 75GR HEAVY MATCH HOLLOW POINT
BLACK HILLS AMMUNITION - 5.56X45MM NATO 70GR GMX AMMO
HORNADY - SUPERFORMANCE MATCH AMMO 5.56X45MM NATO 75GR HPBT
HORNADY - STEEL MATCH AMMO 223 REMINGTON 55GR HP

I plan to see what works best in each rifle and then order in bulk. My sport II is 1-9 twist and the other two are 1-7.

Also received my BCM LPK for my KAC lower so I'll get what I can installed today, still waiting on my phase 5 pistol buffer tube kit.

NothingClever
06-05-17, 12:34
Pulled off stock quad rail and installed an Aero Quantum mlok. Arisika mlok light mount. Rattle canned it to match.

Torquetard
06-05-17, 18:32
Zeroed everything dead ass then came home and decided to switch the optics around again

IndustrialHalo
06-05-17, 18:59
Set up a Geissele high speed national match trigger in the new build. Lower is done except bolt catch.

MegademiC
06-05-17, 21:24
Zeroed everything dead ass then came home and decided to switch the optics around again

I found that at some point I turned the elevation knob a full turn. Off the paper at 100yds. I was sure it was on, and I know how to shoot, so my heart started pounding until u shot the lower target and the group appeared on the paper above it. Still don't remember turning the knob.

graffex
06-06-17, 17:45
I actually installed a BAD-ASS ambi safety and a Geissele SSA trigger in my BCM 16" middy. She is now fully complete.

scooter22
06-06-17, 18:54
Suppressor burned through my Proctor sling. Back to the VCAS...

RichinVA
06-07-17, 13:36
SJC Titan comp

AR-n-Ky
06-07-17, 20:27
Well today I finally got to zero my SBR build! I had to adjust the Superlative Arms adjustable bleed off gas block, BUIS and scope.

I adjusted the gas block the same time I zeroed the BUIS.

The initial BUIS zero was on the 25 meter target.

After I got it on, I moved out to 50 yards and checked it. I got a good BUIS zero for 50/200 yards.

I sat up at 50 yards and got a good zero on the scope. Primary Arms instructions for the 2.5X ACSS is for a 50 yard zero.

I moved out to 100 yards and shot some groups and I'm quite pleased with how it shot. The Hornady American Gunner 55gr HP match did very well. Averaging 2" with acouple in the 1 1/2" range!

Low on ammo I checked it at 200 yards and the ACSS reticle was pretty much on.

After I got the Superlative Arms adjustable bleed off gas block adjusted, it functioned well and locked back after the last round. It piled the brass into a neat pile about 3 o'clock.

The Faxon 10.5" pencil weight barrel was a great shooter!

The barrel did well with the Federal Lake City XM193 load also, in the 3"+/- range.

I only had 200 rounds, 100 each but after adjusting the gas block it ran perfectly flawless.

I also find tuned the zero on my 16" twin build. It has a Primary Arms 1-6X ACSS reticle scope. I ran 20 rounds through it to find tune the zero.

A very productive day!

Vegas
06-10-17, 03:10
Put a lower together. Seem to be missing something. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/1e872fc4844080df3ac69f087fec3d2f.jpg

daniel87
06-10-17, 03:52
Put a lower together. Seem to be missing something. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/1e872fc4844080df3ac69f087fec3d2f.jpg

????were's WALDO??????

Aahhhha bellow the trigger.

5 points for me.

At least its an easy part to get ahold of
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

gaijin
06-10-17, 05:01
Installed B.A.D. levers and QD end plates on three range guns.

wigbones
06-10-17, 13:53
Today I fixed an issue with a buffer tube that was bothering me. When installed the buffer tube seemed to barely hold the edge of the retaining pin in place. I tried doing one more full rotation but the lip of the tube was rubbing against the pin and putting a lot of pressure on it. I had originally decided to leave it where it barely held the edge. Now a couple weeks later it was still on my mind.
I removed it today and sanded the lip of the buffer tube down until I could get one more full rotation from it without digging into the side of the retaining pin. Once I was satisfied, I tightened the castle nut and installed a new Magpul SLS stock I've been wanting to try.
Then I reassembled the rifle and went through a few dry fires. I think I'm really going to like the SLS over the previous STR.

HMM
06-10-17, 17:00
I swapped out my 6" 9mm barrel for a 4" barrel and now my suppressor isn't sticking out of my rail nearly as much...2 less inches to be exact...lol

titsonritz
06-10-17, 17:01
Just got my A5 RE, A5H3 buffer, and Law-Tactical folder in the mail, I'll be putting them on my pistol tonight.

titsonritz
06-10-17, 17:01

It's just winter glove ready.

RobertTheTexan
06-10-17, 17:03
Today I fixed an issue with a buffer tube that was bothering me. When installed the buffer tube seemed to barely hold the edge of the retaining pin in place. I tried doing one more full rotation but the lip of the tube was rubbing against the pin and putting a lot of pressure on it. I had originally decided to leave it where it barely held the edge. Now a couple weeks later it was still on my mind.
I removed it today and sanded the lip of the buffer tube down until I could get one more full rotation from it without digging into the side of the retaining pin. Once I was satisfied, I tightened the castle nut and installed a new Magpul SLS stock I've been wanting to try.
Then I reassembled the rifle and went through a few dry fires. I think I'm really going to like the SLS over the previous STR.

I'm slowly adding more SLS-S's (lots of S's) to the stable. Vltor EMod still is my go-to though.

I think. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
06-10-17, 17:13
Pulled the lower off my SPR, pulled off the PRS off FCG, selector switch and rear take down so I can send it off for engraving. Took my KAC lower, did some tweaks and replaced a few parts so it can pin up to my SPR upper. I had thought I was going to SBR my KAC lower, but it's going to the SPR instead and I don't think I'm going to re-install the PRS on the KAC. I think I'm going to run an A5 on it with a Vltor EMod. Lighten it up a hair.

dpadams6
06-10-17, 17:27
Uhh... Pictures,I want to see picture.

wigbones
06-10-17, 17:54
I'm slowly adding more SLS-S's (lots of S's) to the stable. Vltor EMod still is my go-to though.

I think. Lol

I'm still running 2 EMODs and I want to pick up one more SLS to throw on a spare BCM lower that currently has no stock.

hdrolling
06-10-17, 21:05
Picked up a DD BCG for my KAC/BCM pistol.

JRHorne
06-11-17, 13:26
Got one of the $350 Trijicon RMRs coming from Cabelas. I will most likely be using it on my SBR Scorpion, but that means I'll get to repurpose the MRO that is currently on it. Likely going on my PWS until I decide on which 1-6 I want for it.

_Stormin_
06-11-17, 16:25
Cleaned... Cleaned everything. Takes far too long these days, and on some weapons I haven't shot since the last time I cleaned them. Makes me feel like I am just needing to take a week or at least a few days and hit the range with everything in tow.

Kdubya
06-11-17, 17:44
Cleaned... Cleaned everything. Takes far too long these days, and on some weapons I haven't shot since the last time I cleaned them. Makes me feel like I am just needing to take a week or at least a few days and hit the range with everything in tow.

I've gone through a similar "struggle" as things have progressed over the years. When one first gets into shooting, every trip is one where the whole arsenal gets to come along. But, very quickly, that can be an unrealistic endeavor once you start adding new firearms to the safe. I stockpile ammo, mags, and "perishable" components. But with guns, I dont intentionally buy them just to have them. I want to shoot them. All of them. A lot :)

Every range session, I seem to wrestle deciding which ones get to make the trip. I have a pretty nice range bag that will fit 3 long guns and twice as many handguns. So, I can be generous with how many make the cut. However, that makes the bag heavy as hell! Then there's also the issue of finding the time to shoot all of them once I'm there. Sure I could just throw a bunch of lead downrange, but that's not really productive.

I really need to work on buying some land, and building that dream cabin the wife and I want...

Krazykarl
06-11-17, 18:00
I agree with you kdubya, 3 firearms are usually all that I can manage for 4 hours of range time. Too much support equipment, the danger in criss crossing ammunition types for different weapons, and the rushed feeling of having to get back to the youngins. 3 firearms works out just fine for relaxed productive trigger time.

Vegas
06-12-17, 03:09
????were's WALDO??????

Aahhhha bellow the trigger.

5 points for me.

At least its an easy part to get ahold of
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Found him...

http://i.imgur.com/cX2bkAK.jpg

Finished up the lower yesterday with the trigger guard and shot it today. It consists of an upper I picked up from PSA last week; 16" Nitride upper with 13" MLOK rail that's paired with a PSA lower the lower has an ALG LPK w/ QMS Trigger, BCM Gunfighter Grip and a spare Vltor Imod on a DSG Arms receiver extension I had in the parts box. For a cheap beater style setup, I am pretty impressed. I expected the rail to be made of pot metal or something like it, but it's got a solid feeling. So far my only beef is the chintzy charging handle. We'll see how the rifle holds up but on initial impressions, I'm optimistic.

hdrolling
06-12-17, 13:48
Put it together..

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/hdrolling/IMG_8576_zpsltx5oqol.jpg

hotrodder636
06-12-17, 13:50
Today I was able to go shoot my newly made SBR. Had no problem ringing steel out to 75 yards with an RDS.

artoter
06-12-17, 13:55
Gave it a hug. No, really. :o

bamashooter
06-13-17, 18:16
Removed newish (April) MBUS Pro offset sights on one AR and order complete upper (PSA) for same. No relationship between two actions. Well maybe a little. Going for little weight savings. If my red dot fails I'll throw it at them and run.:D

Diamondback
06-16-17, 02:59
Been quiet of late due to dead laptop, prepping it to go back to the shop then hauling the spare out of storage and recommissioning it.

Some new test fitting work, with carrier on, mag in it and Blade racked onto the tube. Sorry, crappy phone pics again. :(

Folded for the briefcase (tube position is best-guess and flipped A2 is to approximate FAB AGF-43S; remember, there will be another 2" of barrel and flashcan on the front)http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/Diamondback6/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-06/20170607_184509_zpsr8pjfn5e.jpg

Unfolded for action:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/Diamondback6/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-06/20170607_184625_zps94g9whdd.jpg

Before I put the Blade on--in fact, I even took it and the relevant parts into a different room away from everything else even though there's no barrel to make it a complete firearm yet--I had a harebrained idea for mounting another mag carrier. Turns out if you take the right rail of a CAA FSP15 front-sight rail, turn it upside down and thread two of its hex screws through the lower sling slot, then screw on hex-nuts, it'll mount securely and mount a CAA MPS stock-mount mag-carrier very comfortably. IF you're a left hander so your right hand can access the mag, and IF you're not building a "discreet carry" gun that needs to be kept as slim as possible. (The forward mag only works because it fits into width already needed for the folding tube, which is also what killed my right-side mag and a very comfortable thumbrest.) This was immediately disassembled to ensure "not turning the brace into a stock"--I sent CAA a note about this little bit of MacGyverizing, and while I feel pretty proud of myself for thinking of it I WILL NOT be doing anything like that again without an ATF Determination Letter one way or the other, especially since if ATF greenlights the IC13 Blade Protector I plan to mount one of those too.

hdrolling
06-16-17, 06:31
Went looking for a pistol brace last night to get my hands on one and see which one felt the best, no one had any. Looks like I'll have to just go by pictures and hope I like it when It arrives.

I did finally grab some ammo for my 300 blk to go test out the new build, 40 rds of Remington 120 gr to break in the barrel and test everything out. And I grabbed 100 rds of Hornady 125 gr "American Gunner" ammo for sighting in and target practice.

mr.tickle
06-16-17, 18:02
Added a paracord loop to the magpul butt stock so I can use a USGI web sling. (I know it was a long laborious day!) This is in preparation for my first Project Appleseed in a few weeks. I had previously used a Rhodesian sling but never felt quite right. I actually prefer the USGI sling on it.

hdrolling
07-02-17, 07:35
Finished and fired my AR pistol yesterday, with the Noveske KX5 I didn't see one fireball or think it was too overly loud with the 9" barrel. No over gas issues and everything ejected/fed/ and locked back correctly using the Lancer mags and Hornary supersonic ammo.

I also tested a bunch of expensive match grade ammo for my 5.56 rifles, black hills and Hornary 70gr/75gr/77gr in both 5.56 and .223 cal., for my 18" DD M4V11 PRO I'm going to stick with the Black hills 77gr. I was getting sub moa groups at 100 yds, the other ammo didn't perform well enough to justify paying the high prices.

The other two rifles will continue to use Wolf Gold .223 55gr, for my bench shooting this ammo works perfect and I can get 1000 rds for under $300.

Also ordered a 42" Drago double rifle bag since my 18" DD with PRS stock doesn't fit in my 36" bag and I grabbed another SSA-E trigger while the sales are going on.

Tigereye
07-02-17, 07:38
Shot one of the rifles in 3 gun yesterday and loaned one to a new shooter. It was a good day.

NYH1
07-02-17, 15:03
I fondled a few of mine!

Happy 4th weekend, NYH1.

556BlackRifle
07-02-17, 20:21
Two ARs, 600 rounds of M193, 8 LBS of Tannerite, 6 large watermelons, my sons, daughter, daughter in law and BLM land make for a great day. :D :D

jcalvert86
07-02-17, 21:36
12.5" upper on the way from Jwknutson, ordered a couple items from Geissele, deadair, Surefire, BCM to finish it up when it arrives.

hdrolling
07-04-17, 08:11
Added the front and rear Magpul PRO BUIS to my 9" pistol and swapped out the BCM trigger for the SSA-E I just bought during the 4th of July sale.

Tigereye
07-04-17, 10:09
Chopped the FSB on a BCM 11.5" and waiting on the ALG Defense 10" blem rail. The barrel nut will not break loose.

I had to cut the barrel nut to remove it. No problem

vandal5
07-04-17, 11:04
Just reassembled my lower from after having it engraved. Waring for my Geissele SMR to come in that I happened to ordered during their Independence Day sale.

Once I get that I'll pull apart my upper and send the barrel out to have it chopped!

VanceMMA
07-07-17, 07:16
I got a SMR MK2 during the sale and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Leaning towards doing an all fde 7.62x39.

Kdubya
07-10-17, 03:03
Managed to get out for a long overdue trip to the range today. Brought along two ARs wearing some new optics that needed zeroed. First optic is 2 moa TruGlo branded Holosun that's been assigned to a relatively new 10.5" AR pistol. I'd bought it about a month ago, and was so impressed with the look, features, and construction that I bought a second Holosun a couple weeks later. I love the ACSS reticle I have on a .308, so the second new Holosun is sporting that the same reticle. Primary Arms had a bundle deal going on for a 3x Magnifier and the ACSS Holosun; which seemed perfect for my favorite 16" carbine. So, that's two new optics, a magnifier, and a newish AR pistol. The pistol upper had already seen around 150 rounds, but the lower is brand new; due to an issue that needed to be corrected by the retailer.

After putting some rounds on them, I continue to be impressed with Holosun's offerings. Glass is clear. Both reticles are crisp. Awesome in the weight department. It was a lot of fun testing out the auto-wake feature; which worked perfectly. While I only fired a couple hundred rounds, both performed flawlessly. One of the mounts loosened up, but it was my fault for not torquing it down properly when deciding on the placement in relation to the magnifier.

The primary arms magnifier turned out to be a great compliment to the ACSS Holosun. The 3x really helps to squeeze out some much better precision in the intermediate range. Even close up its very useable. Like the optic, the glass is clear. It has good light transmission, and solid eye relief. Ironically, its mount loosened up as well. Again, user error when deciding upon its placement. After properly tightening each, neither came loose again. I'll end up using some blue Loctite once I'm satisfied with their location/orientation. Overall, the ACSS/magnifier combo is excellent. I'm really looking forward to testing out the BDC at some longer ranges.

The AR pistol is now approaching 500 rounds and has been an absolute blast. It was purchased for use as a plinking/range gun. For that reason, I spent next to nothing on it. So far, it's been flawlessly reliable. To be fair, the original lower had a defect with the reciever extension. However, it was identified prior to running any rounds and replaced by the mfg.

Others have discussed buying a cheap/inexpensive AR to see how well it'll hold up as the round count increases; and that's what I'm going to do with this particular AR. I plan to run it as long as I can without cleaning; only re-lubricating when it starts to get dry. At the point it loses reliability, and lube doesn't help. I'll clean it and then repeat the process. If perishable parts need replaced (springs, gas rings, etc) I'll change them out, make a note, and continue on. I'll start keeping a more detailed log, and will try to post updates after any major outing.

TL;DR - Zeroed two new optics. Magnifiers are pretty awesome. Started a reliability test on an inexpensive build.

Diamondback
07-10-17, 03:21
Final mockup on my PDW-pistol build while awaiting budget to order barrel group, LAW sidefolder and BCG. Keep waffling between a FailZero EXO NiB or a Toolcraft Black Nitride from Monmouth.

Being on a limited budget and planning for "upgrade and hand-me-down" to other builds, while I'm trying to keep this a Duty Grade build I keep waffling between the lower cost "faster to Initial Operating Capability" option of a prebuilt Andro Corp barrel assembly, then gradually picking up the pieces to put an FSB on a Daniel Defense DD-9072 as budget allows, and once the parts for the DD are all in-hand have my smith swap the Andro barrel onto a new upper (presently building around an Aero, but when budget allows considering a V Seven for weight savings and HMD'ing the Aero), or continuing my present armory of 1911 straight to 16" 5.56 carbine with no in-between as I acquire parts. (Everything I've acquired as "interims" on this build I intended for a plinker later, so that should offset "Buy Once Cry Once.")

Similarly, debating about optics and looking for Duty Grade candidates that'll fit on a CASV with co-witness, take whatever beating living in a laptop-bag can give and still be compact. Starting to wonder if a pistol holo like an RMR or Burris Fastfire might work, or if I'm stuck with tube-types like ACO/PRO or the various Aimpoint Micros and similar.

I'd post a pic, but F---youbucket is getting douchey about using them as an image host for website/forum-post pics. If you can't do that what's the point of having a photo-hosting site anyway?

Long Range Trigger Monkey
07-10-17, 08:34
Yesterday I replaced the Vltor A5H0 in my precision AR with a A5H2 and doped the gun out to a shade under 500 yards with 55 grain ball for the heck of it. The 1-2 o'clock ejection that I had with the A5H0 was solved and now cases eject out to 3-3:30. The rifle is a helluva shooter, even with 55 gr ball I was laying the hate to a steel plate in the standing with the rifle resting on a barricade at 463 yards.

hdrolling
07-22-17, 15:07
Added a Troy charlie hand guard to my carbine.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4301/35921159982_38e7dac2a3_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WJekow)IMG_8903 (https://flic.kr/p/WJekow) by hd_rolling (https://www.flickr.com/photos/22585324@N07/), on Flickr

RobertTheTexan
07-23-17, 14:40
Swapped out a SL-S stock for an UBR 2.0 on my 11.5 SBR. In my SPR I pulled out a KAC 2 stage and swapped in a SSA-E in and kn my 12" SBR I pulled out a Hiperfire and swapped in a SD-C hat a friend loaned me to try out. I will say hat SSA-E is hands down the best 2 stage trigger for precision guns I have ever pulled. I would NOT use it kn a battle rifle, but if you like 2 stage in your SPR or DMR, holy cow is it sweet.
The UBR 2.0 is GTG. The heavens didn't own up and an angelic choir didn't descend singing hallelujah, but it's still a good stock. I did get more spring noise out of it than the SL-S and I haven't really thought through that yet. The SD-C can run like a scalded cat if you want to run it that fast. But it was a very solid trigger now doubt. I am going to install my LaRue 2 stage in the 12" SBR with the UBR stock and compare them side by side this weekend. I think the SD-C felt similar to my LaRue, but I didn't think to bring that AR out with me to make a serious comparison.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170723/737c07dfb0dc0aa40cc93bb00c1b7319.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170723/4b2dcbfdee58039fc9919d431804b343.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170723/e31b786eb3bd5caeae3dd5a5f1fb3c4b.jpg

Achilles11B
07-24-17, 00:27
Today I got mine absolutely filthy the way only a suppressor can. Gotta love those conjugal visits in NFA jail.

hdrolling
07-31-17, 16:17
Installed one of the BAD badass ambi safeties, I'm not sure it's going to be a keeper. I'm right handed but my son is left handed so I tried it for him, the short lever hits my hand. I've thought about either trying a scalloped cut for the right side or just removing it until my son is old enough to own his own and then put it back in.

bigten109
07-31-17, 21:20
Finally knocked off the A2 front sight and Delta ring off my spikes tactical and put a Kinetic development group MLOK rail on it. Very light rail, comparable to my DD v7 mlok rail. Their stuff is underrated.

wigbones
07-31-17, 21:36
My new gen 2 UBR finally came in this weekend and today I got it installed. It's been a long wait.

itsmcgavinson
08-01-17, 21:59
Swapped my XPS2-0 with an Aimpoint T-1 with LT660 mount. Hopefully my bad eyes like it.

stevenravenscroft
08-03-17, 19:40
New Bcm light weight upper. Added a troy vtac rail after I cut the front sight down last night46812)

mr.tickle
08-11-17, 16:39
Swapped out my BCM Mod 0 stock for the BCM SOPMOD. I love it! Also replaced the pistol grip (was a BCM Mod 3 grip) with a Magpul MIAD. Didn't hate the BCM grip just couldn't get use to the angle. Also took it out to the range to try it out. Pretty satisfied with the updates. However going to an outdoor range at noon in Florida was a mistake!

titsonritz
08-11-17, 18:01
Started putting together my last SIONICS stripped lower.

The parts list:
Forward Controls ABC/R-AA
Forward Controls EMR/EMR-A
BAD-CASS selector
BAD-EPS
Geissele SSA-E
BCM A-5 RE
BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 grip
LMT Sopmod Stock

I think it going to be my new favorite.

nate89
08-11-17, 18:59
I got a DD V7Pro almost a month ago, and hadn't taken any time to go give it a try. My intent was to have an "SPR" that I could try out shooting at a longer distance and see how wind and other things affected the shot. 5.56 is plenty for the ranges I am able to shoot locally, and ammo is cheaper. I mounted a Trijicon optic with a Geissele mount, and swapped out the 3 gun trigger it comes with for a G2S. Rough sight in today at 25 on the indoor range I work at, now to get out and try it at distance..

loglew42
08-12-17, 15:15
I shot it...finally..after adding a new Ballistic Advantage 16" SPR barrel.

Kdubya
08-14-17, 02:35
I was reminded of why I do not frequent firearm ranges during peak hours...

My grandfather-in-law hasn't been shooting in years, so we finally followed through on plans to wipe the dust off of his rifles. He's got some amazing .22 target rifles. I mean serious five shot groups consistently in one ragged hole. I brought a couple ARs needing some final adjustments to their new optics. My final tweaks went well, and I'm really loving the 3x magnifier I recently purchased. My new(ish) "value" AR pistol is also still going strong. No cleaning, just lube, and not a single malfunction yet. It was really a great day. That is, until two younger guys set up right next to us...

It was moderately busy, but they could easily have picked a different shooting bay to keep things staggered between occupied and open. Almost immediately, both of them started blasting away with their AKs. Shooting from the same bay, each sitting on one side of a cement bench, they simultaneously unloaded on their target about 10 yards downrange. Normally, I wouldn't care. If wasting ammo is your thing, go for it. But they were spraying hot brass all over our bay. We'd get a short reprieve while they reloaded. Then back to raining brass.

Additionally, these two dingleberries apparently valued hearing and seeing as much as they did accuracy. They had to be reminded a few times by the RO that eyes and ears needed to be worn. Later I found that RO has dealt with them multiple times and always has problems with their courtesy and following basic range rules.

Fortunately they switched to some other guns after burning through the AK fodder. Those other guns being a Ruger Charger with a drum mag and (I think) a S&W SDVE. Again, marksmanship did not seem to be a focal point, which was surprising given that the guy had TWO optics, plus an integrated laser, sitting on top of the Ruger Charger. Then again, I don't know how accurate one can be with what was likely an airsoft scope/RDS/laser from the bottom of the Amazon barrel. As much as I love seeing a lot of people exercising their 2A rights, I could do without all the fudds and mall ninjas.

Oh, and just in case you didn't know, popped-collars and sandals are a sign of true tier 1 operators...

http://i.cubeupload.com//t/nFJqJD.jpeg (http://cubeupload.com/im/nFJqJD.jpeg)

Diamondback
08-14-17, 02:45
Barrel for the Gremlin ordered and on-the-way from Andro Corp. Expect to have some back-end tuning ahead with the .070 gas port and running permanently non-suppressed, but hoping the blast-deflector collar will create some suppressor-like back-pressure to mitigate it. (I coulda gone shorter with a Pistol Length gas system, but the concept was "discreet-carry pistolized Mk 18.")

Fordtough25
08-23-17, 11:16
I snagged a keymod QD mount and polymer accessory kit from Noveske for my NSR, I needed a front sling mount and I really like this style of hand stop!

stevenravenscroft
08-23-17, 23:10
I bought this for my new BCM elw

Diamondback
08-27-17, 02:13
A little fine-timing for ergonomics on support-hand accessories. That little light's button rests right under my thumbtip, and the KAC panel's a temp until I can shave down one side of a 5-rib to slot in between thumbrest and light.

Hopefully the blast deflector (not pictured, bayonet lug has to get Bobbitted first) will work letting me have a hand that far forward safely... then I need to figure out a 'filler' to fill the space between foregrip and magwell for intended 'break up the outline' effect.

Since the CAA sight-mount rails won't fit with the CASV, they and the dual high-power lights are being dropped; now I'm considering a small green-beam laser since this build is mainly meant for CQB.

beschatten
08-28-17, 00:04
Just installed a Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch on my 6920 OEM2.

Diamondback
08-28-17, 00:23
Started grinding down the rear face of my BFD mount... cordless drill, two nuts, a bolt and 100-grit sandpaper have taken a nice bite out of the aluminum.

Mercs
08-29-17, 14:23
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170829/d0597e59203fb3cd135a3f35f54fd1bb.jpg

Practiced firing it some more today

hdrolling
08-30-17, 17:48
Bought some new parts for my next build, 20" Faxon 6.5 Grendel barrel and a 6.5 bolt.

26 Inf
08-30-17, 20:21
Air brushed some FDE moly resin on a Pro-Fab Lower. Cured it in the oven. Put together the lower with a LaRue LPK & MBT, a Forward Controls Enhanced Mag Release Button, a Forward Controls Enhanced Mag Release Ambidextrous, and an ambi safety. For now I'm using the LaRue stock - it is solid.

The moly resin FDE didn't match perfectly with the LaRue upper and rail, but not too far off. I really like using the moly resin, I follow the instructions as far as preheating the part(s), air brush light coats, reheat the part as necessary for additional coats. At about 200 degrees the 'paint' dries almost as soon as it hits, so there aren't any runs. This will be my fourth project with the moly resin and each one has been better as I learn the idiosyncrasies of the air brush I'm using - an entry level Paschal (sp). Final cure at 300 degrees for an hour. let her cool down and assemble.

So the lower is complete, almost - I didn't have a FDE trigger guard, and I realized I also don't have a B5 Type 23 grip to put on it. I'll pickup up the trigger guard tomorrow on the way to Salina HD. I ordered the B5 grip from Brownells with some other stuff. I'll use the LaRue grip until the B5 arrives.

This is the completion of the LaRue 6.5 Grendel Upper Assembly Kit I bought in early August. It is my first 6.5 Grendel. Right now, in addition to waiting for parts, I'm looking for the six mags I bought and placed somewhere where I'd be sure to remember where they were.

For the time being I'm going to have to run a set of irons off another rifle, the oldest daughter started college and the optics budget went for books, which was an unexpected expense, she is scholarship and loaned up, so I figured she could use the excess loan money - nope.

TLDR: I put together a lower.

slowrx
08-30-17, 21:50
I got a cloud defense LCS for my pressure pad. Simple design but I love it, no more zip ties and double sided tape. Also impressed with how light it is.

Stickman
08-30-17, 21:56
Air brushed some FDE moly resin on a Pro-Fab Lower. Cured it in the oven. Put together the lower with a LaRue LPK & MBT, a Forward Controls Enhanced Mag Release Button, a Forward Controls Enhanced Mag Release Ambidextrous, and an ambi safety.

The moly resin FDE didn't match perfectly with the LaRue upper and rail, but not too far off. I really like using the moly resin, I follow the instructions as far as preheating the part(s), air brush light coats, reheat the part as necessary for additional coats. At about 200 degrees the 'paint' dries almost as soon as it hits, so there aren't any runs. This will be my fourth project with the moly resin and each one has been better as I learn the idiosyncrasies of the air brush I'm using - an entry level Paschal (sp). Final cure at 300 degrees for an hour. let her cool down and assemble.

I wrote up an article on how to use it a long time ago, and while I've used other finishes, the Moly Resin continues to impress me with how well it applies and holds up.

stevenravenscroft
08-30-17, 22:29
Ordered the gas block, 9" barrel, upper reciever and mod4 charging handle from BCM for my pistol build

26 Inf
08-30-17, 23:34
I wrote up an article on how to use it a long time ago, and while I've used other finishes, the Moly Resin continues to impress me with how well it applies and holds up.

Is the article available on a link?

RobertTheTexan
08-30-17, 23:59
Air brushed some FDE moly resin on a Pro-Fab Lower. Cured it in the oven. Put together the lower with a LaRue LPK & MBT, a Forward Controls Enhanced Mag Release Button, a Forward Controls Enhanced Mag Release Ambidextrous, and an ambi safety. For now I'm using the LaRue stock - it is solid.

For the time being I'm going to have to run a set of irons off another rifle, the oldest daughter started college and the optics budget went for books, which was an unexpected expense, she is scholarship and loaned up, so I figured she could use the excess loan money - nope.

When can you post some pics? Not sure I've seen moly resin before, or if I have I didn't know it. Did you order the pistol grip already? I think I have one I'm not using if your want it?

26 Inf
08-31-17, 09:13
I wanted to get the trigger guard and grip. I've got the grip on the way, thanks for the offer!

Kdubya
08-31-17, 09:54

Look at you, using the cool new age acronyms.

In for pics as well. I've not seen or heard much on moly resin either. Then again, I've never painted/treated any of my firearms. So it's not a topic I've researched all that much.

26 Inf
09-01-17, 15:24
Well, Robert and KDub here it is:

The lower is all I did. I got it close to the stock, which was laying on the picnic table next to where I was airbrushing. I should have the the upper out there instead, my bad.

The nice thing is that if I degrease the receiver, I can apply another, heavier, coat and darken it.

As you can see the neophyte has some degree of trouble getting the color to match between projects. The CZ was the first project I did. I painted it with a double action control harbor freight airbrush (from their deluxe compressor kit) which I couldn't run for crap, way too heavy on the coating. The second project was an old single shot shotgun, my son has it. The third project was the Browning slide, I was happier with it, but still was not comfy with the double action trigger control.

For this receiver I used an entry level Paasche I bought at hobby lobby. I'm going to upgrade to the Paasche H model and stay with that one for a while.

The nice thing about using Norrel's Moly Resin is that until you cure it at 300 degrees, it comes off with acetone or MEK.

Here are the instructions: http://molyresin.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/2017-01-24-Moly-condensed-Resin-brochure.pdf

sig1473
09-01-17, 15:39
Just got 2x brand new Toolcraft(1B1B6) carriers. The staking was pathetic. The screws were torqued down to spec which was a relief. I have a pointed punch so I had to "encourage" the staking. Just disappointed to say the least as I figured I would give them a try. I will stick to my Colt, FN, BCM, LMT BCGs.

26 Inf
09-01-17, 16:29
Just got 2x brand new Toolcraft(1B1B6) carriers. The staking was pathetic. The screws were torqued down to spec which was a relief. I have a pointed punch so I had to "encourage" the staking. Just disappointed to say the least as I figured I would give them a try. I will stick to my Colt, FN, BCM, LMT BCGs.

Did you happen to snap a picture of the staking? Is it possible they were acceptable, but just not aesthectically pleasing?

I am just asking because Toolcraft generally has a good rep with industry professionals on this forum:

Toolcraft is about as legit as they come. They make stuff for others in the industry without their CAGE on it.

sig1473
09-01-17, 17:19
Did you happen to snap a picture of the staking? Is it possible they were acceptable, but just not aesthectically pleasing?

I am just asking because Toolcraft generally has a good rep with industry professionals on this forum:

No, I didn't. I don't care about aesthetics when it comes to staking, but when the staking doesn't even touch the screws that is a NO-GO for me. I know what proper staking looks like as my 8xColt, 1xBCM, 1xLMT, 1xFN, 2xNoveske, 1xKAC, 1xCenturion all have proper staking.

hdrolling
09-01-17, 17:26
No, I didn't. I don't care about aesthetics when it comes to staking, but when the staking doesn't even touch the screws that is a NO-GO for me. I know what proper staking looks like as my 8xColt, 1xBCM, 1xLMT, 1xFN, 2xNoveske, 1xKAC, 1xCenturion all have proper staking.

Damn, I almost ordered one @ $65 + 5 shipping. Guess not now.