PDA

View Full Version : Me break things!

ToddG
09-27-08, 14:28
First, I noticed that the right ("ambi") lever on my M&P slide catch had broken off:

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/slidereleaseleverbroken.jpg

Then, while practicing, my CCC Looper came apart:

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/looperbroken.jpg

Slide catch: This is a known issue with the M&P and we expected it to happen eventually. They recommend the part be replaced as part of standard maintenance, I cannot remember but it's either every 10,000 or 20,000 rounds. Mine broke somewhere between 42,710 and 43,361 rounds. It's fired approximately 2,000 rounds since then without any problems, as the lever does not affect functioning of the gun ... unless, of course, you are handling the gun left-handed and want to use it to drop the slide.

Holster: It's clear from the breaking point that the holster cracked where I'd been a bit too aggressive reshaping it with a heat gun. When I first got the AIWB version of the Looper it rode just a bit too high, so I modified it. That was about seven weeks ago. Apparently, it was made brittle enough that over time ... snap. I was in the middle of a practice session when I drew the gun and the whole thing came out, holster body and all. To my mild enjoyment, the "loop" -- which is supposed to be unbreakable and the whole reason the holster was designed -- was still in one solid piece around my belt. :p

Just another lesson that anything can break, and eventually everything will. That's why we have backups and spares, right?

Detmongo
09-27-08, 14:38
me mongo me break things. ;)

Robb Jensen
09-27-08, 14:58
I've broken two slide stops myself on M&P9s. I'm guessing since the slide and barrel are torquing to the right when the pistol is fired that somehow it's stressing that sides lever. But the gun will continue to work even broken there.

RAM Engineer
09-27-08, 15:01
It's too bad the left side lever doesn't break off...I f'ing hate that thing!

markm
09-27-08, 15:03
You should have chose a Glock! :p

Sam
09-27-08, 16:22
Ouch.

And Rich is away from his work bench so he can't make you a new one until October. Glad you got a back up. My buddy Mike Benedict, he makes a few kydex holsters himself. He told me that you can bend kydex once while forming it before it cools. After it's cooled, there's a risk of weakening the plastic if you try to reheat it to manipulate its shape.

BigDog
09-28-08, 15:14
I've broken two slide stops myself on M&P9s.

Oh fine! Wait until after I buy my M&P to tell me this... :mad::D