PDA

View Full Version : Durability and reliability: G17 vs. G34

oldtexan
09-27-08, 17:42
I'd like to hear opinions here about whether the Glock 34 is as reliable and as durable as the uber reliable, uber durable Glock 17. How does the 34 bear up under sustained heavy use compared to the 17? I know they use the same frame, cartridge, and recoil spring, and as far as I can tell, the only differences are the slide, barrel, connector, slide stop lever, rear sight, and magazine release. What effect on long-term reliability and durability might the 34's longer, slightly heavier slide (with that cutout behind the front sight) have?

I did a search here for info on this topic but was unsuccessful in finding anything to answer my questions.

While we're at it, how does the G19 compare to the 17 and 34 in these terms? Were the Glock engineers really succesful in making the G19 as durable and reliable as the 17 despite having less slide mass to work with and a shorter recoil spring system?

Thanks in advance.

ST911
09-27-08, 18:10
I'd like to hear opinions here about whether the Glock 34 is as reliable and as durable as the uber reliable, uber durable Glock 17. How does the 34 bear up under sustained heavy use compared to the 17? I know they use the same frame, cartridge, and recoil spring, and as far as I can tell, the only differences are the slide, barrel, connector, slide stop lever, rear sight, and magazine release. What effect on long-term reliability and durability might the 34's longer, slightly heavier slide (with that cutout behind the front sight) have?

Due to the increased mass of slide and barrel, poor to marginal ammo sometimes doesn't function as well in the G34 as the G17 and G19. There are little to no differences in service life of the three, or the performance during.

G34/G35 differ from the G17/G22 only in slide and barrel in the standard model. The competition guns are where the connector and slide stop differences are found. G34/G35 uses the same OEM site height (6.5mm) as the 17/22/et al.

trio
09-27-08, 18:17
having owned more of each of these types of guns than I can remember, IMHO they are all equally reliable through my use...

my primary carry/HD/"tacticool" platform is the G19/17/34....i love the guns, shoot them well....

to me, they are the gold standard by which modern combat handguns are compared...

LOKNLOD
09-27-08, 20:16
I love my 34. So much so, I recently let my 17 go to fund some smaller Glocks more well suited to carry.

The only drawback to me is the hole in the slide. It's not a big deal, but it does seem to get a little more crud in there when I'm shooting in dirty condition (windy day on a sandy range, for example). Big issue? Probably not for most people and most situations. Not for me, at least. I shoot it a lot better I did my 17, so a little extra attention to keeping it clean is worth the tradeoff.

John Fettes
09-28-08, 11:41
"sustained heavy use"

May mean different things to different shooters.

I think that the G34 will hold up as well as a G17. To see a G34 with sustained heavy use, see the USPSA Production videos shown here:

http://www.sevignyperformance.com/gallery.htm

I have had a G19 for almost 20 years, and bought one of the first G34s to hit town. I never owned a G17, but recently added a LWD 9mm conversion barrel to my G31. I don't think that I, or most of us, have the time or money to wear these Glocks out. If something breaks with the use of factory ammo, Glock will most likely replace it.

Pat Sweeney's second Glock book and the gunzines have recounted Glock 9mms having fired hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammunition.

John

Paul45
09-28-08, 13:13
I have over 100,000 rounds thru my 34. Glock replaced the slide at 85000. My 17 has about 50000 - no issues other than normal maintanence. The 19 only has about 15000 rounds thru it but no issues. I have not had any major issues with any Glock. I had a 35 that had over 150000 rounds and still shot good. I traded it because I got a new one for my birthday. I sometimes wish I had the old one. The fit was better.
They are all good to go.

evilmonkey
09-28-08, 14:08
The single pin older style 34 have some problems cracking slides at the 20,000 to 30,000 mark but the newer double pin are good to go. Even if you have the single pin and the slide cracks glock will fix it for free. A buddy of mine was shooting and IDPA local match with me when his cracked and he didnt notice it till he shot a stage and all the targets had either all misses or just barely hitting the 3 zone.

LOKNLOD
09-28-08, 15:16
I have over 100,000 rounds thru my 34. Glock replaced the slide at 85000.

Why'd they need to replace it?

oldtexan
09-28-08, 20:25
All,

Great replies. Thanks much for the info and insights.

Oldtexan

citizensoldier16
09-29-08, 22:04
they are the gold standard by which modern combat handguns are compared...

AMEN!! :cool:

Robb Jensen
09-29-08, 22:12
The 9mms Glocks are the most durable of all Glocks. The difference between the G17 and G34 is probably not going to be very different or even really matter to most people. You're likely taking a different of about 5% if that.........I know a few people with G17s over 100K rounds.......The G34 will easily go that long too with proper care. Like all guns G34s should have their springs replaced are regular intervals for maximum life of the gun.

JonInWA
09-30-08, 16:04
Not really a durability issue, but I found when comparatively shooting a G34 against my G17 that while the slightly increased sight plane of the G34 made for slightly more easily attained shot accuracy, the slide reciprocation of the G34 seemed to be slightly more protracted/sluggish.

This characteristic can be easily dealt with by using slightly hotter ammunition, or by playing with spring rates. I'm cheap-I prefer to use relatively inexpensive WWB 100 round Value Pack ammunition for IDPA and GSSF, and I like how it performs in my G17/G19.

The G34 is a great gun; in IDPA its probably the most popular of the Glocks, but next in line (and pretty closely following) in popularity is the G17, judging by the gun selections evidenced in recent IDPA Nationals.

If you're going to use your selection as a carry gun, the G17 is probably slightly easier to carry-but let's face it; the G17 is about the same size as a Colt Commander, and the G34 (by no accident whatsoever) is commensurate in size to a Colt Government, both eminently carryable pistols.

Some shooters utilizing a "high thumb" shooting position have had some issues with the G35's extended slide release, resolved by replacing the component with the Glock flat piece, or by carving on the extended slide release pad.

Regarding the durability of the G19, I believe that the G17 and the G19 are viewed as being the two most reliable and durable Glocks, with the G17 enjoying a slight lead in this regard. Issues with both guns have long since been worked out; my thought is that you can buy either with confidence, choosing the one that you index/shoot the best with, or the one that provides the best combination of features and profile necessary for your situation. With either, I would recommend going with steel sights, and on the G19 you might want to replace the grooved trigger with a smooth G17 trigger; the triggerbars are interchangeable.

Best, Jon

markm
09-30-08, 16:17
The 9mms Glocks are the most durable of all Glocks.

Is it really that the 9mm glocks are any more durable than other models? Or is it that the 9mm round is less punishing on the weapon?

If we use the G17 vs G22 example... aren't they essentially the same gun? Isn't it just that the .40 beats the pistol to death?

Paul45
09-30-08, 16:50
I really don't know! My G35 lasted longer than my G34 without major repair.

dp509
10-03-08, 04:22
I have owned the 17 and 19. I currently own the 19. Best gun for duty and concealment.

I have extended slide release, jentra plug and trijicon night sights on mine.

Do not no what else needs doing ;)

Great gun :D

dp509
10-03-08, 04:25
Also,

The Glock 19 is the issue weapon for the Iraq Police. ;)

I think the only upgrade is steel fixed sights instead of plastic sights.

(not sure about that though).

markm
10-03-08, 08:20
Excellent info for the topic at hand! (17 vs 34) ;)

sbiggs
10-03-08, 08:27
I have owned a Glock 34,17, and 19 (love the 9's) for well over five years with thousands of rounds through each with no issues whatsover. The 34 stays in a Thigh Rig with an M3 light ready to go and the 19 is carried on duty everyday. My .02

Paulinski
10-03-08, 09:08
Excellent info for the topic at hand! (17 vs 34) ;)

LoL :p

HK45
10-04-08, 00:51
No, the G-22 slide is heavier.

If we use the G17 vs G22 example... aren't they essentially the same gun? Isn't it just that the .40 beats the pistol to death?

45r
10-04-08, 05:07
I've owned both and IMO they are both just as reliable.