PDA

View Full Version : California raises fuel tax from .28 to .40 cents a gallon.

elephant
04-29-17, 00:16
That's right. Jerry Brown has signed a bill into law that would raise the tax on fuel an additional .12 cents per gallon from the current .28 cents per gallon of fuel. That is .40 cents per gallon. California is already about .80 cents higher per gallon then the national average. California raised the tax to help rebuild the roads and bridges that have been neglected for decades. The ultra liberal law makers in California said that this raise in taxes will only set back residents a modest $10 a month and will most likely go unnoticed. The US Department of Transportation has the average gas prices for California listed at $2.88/gallon for regular unleaded whereas in Texas, the average gas price is $2.19 a gallon for regular unleaded but with Californias new tax law, the price per gallon in California would rise from $2.88 to $3.28 a gallon. $3.28 a gallon when the national average is $2.20 a gallon. But it doesn't stop there. California is also adding a $29 service fee to the $46 dollar vehicle registration/renewal fee as well as a $100 annual registration fee to electric powered cars.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-enacts-52-billion-fuel-tax-hike-road-214917343--business.html

Eurodriver
04-29-17, 06:07
I think your math is off.

223to45
04-29-17, 07:59
Here in Washington we are about .50 plus the federal.

Last I saw we were 2nd highest state. That might have changed by now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

26 Inf
04-29-17, 11:04
[QUOTE=elephant;2486570]California raised the tax to help rebuild the roads and bridges that have been neglected for decades. /QUOTE]

Not defending Brown, he's a lune.

Infrastructure (roads and bridges) is often neglected to the point where it becomes a crisis. That story is not limited to Kali, many states are facing it. One of the reasons Trump campaigned on creating jobs by rebuilding the infrastructure.

Your math is wrong, a .12 increase to the average of 2.88 is 3.00, not 3.28. Aside from that, increasing the gas tax is a user tax - people who drive a lot (and make more use of the roads) will pay more than people who walk. Everyone will be impacted to some degree, there will be a slight increase in transportation cost of goods which will be passed on to the consumer. Once again, though. based on consumption.

It sucks but in a mostly fair way.

rero360
04-29-17, 11:30
It's not fair in that they always say that the money collected from the gas tax is going to go to the road repairs but it never does, it goes into the general fund and then is used for stuff like pensions. Brown claims this new round of taxes will actually go to the roads but you damn well know that those bastards in Sac will grab it for everything else as soon as they can. They collect enough money as it is to maintain the roads, they just have to actually spend it properly in the first place. Not to mention that there is a section in that bill that sets aside millions each year to go to programs to make people want to drive less. Don't get me started on the train to nowhere nonsense.

Alex V
04-29-17, 15:03
NJ gasoline sales tax went up by .28 last year. Just sayin'

Firefly
04-29-17, 15:20
Governments job is to pay for government.

Pot holes are a proletariat's problem

jpmuscle
04-29-17, 15:41
Governments job is to pay for government.

Pot holes are a proletariat's problem
YOU DIDN'T BUILD YOUR BUSINESS!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ScottsBad
04-29-17, 15:47
Yeah, we got F'd again by the looney tune left to pay for public transportation and Jerry's Crazy Train. We'll never see new or wider roads, only upgrades to interchanges and more public transportation spending. Commiefornia is completely out of control

I live in the East Bay (Danville, CA) our gas starts at $3.09 or more and has not been much lower than that for years anyway.

The extra gas tax doesn't impact me much, but what bugs me is the waste and misuse and the much more costly special mix of gas we use which reduces fuel economy especially when using the summer mix.

I can hardly wait to get out of this state. CA has a history of misusing transportation tax monies.

26 Inf
04-29-17, 15:54
It's not fair in that they always say that the money collected from the gas tax is going to go to the road repairs but it never does, it goes into the general fund and then is used for stuff like pensions. Brown claims this new round of taxes will actually go to the roads but you damn well know that those bastards in Sac will grab it for everything else as soon as they can. They collect enough money as it is to maintain the roads, they just have to actually spend it properly in the first place. Not to mention that there is a section in that bill that sets aside millions each year to go to programs to make people want to drive less. Don't get me started on the train to nowhere nonsense.

Freak I would welcome that freaking hippie lune Jerry Brown. I imagine that most folks reading this would probably be fans of Sam Brownback's 'Great Kansas Experiment' in supply-side economics.
Well, let me tell you from ground level it ain't working for shit. And the freaking morons reelected him, just barely, but he still got reelected.

As a result, the makeup of the Kansas Legislature changed dramatically in the last election, most of his minions got swept out and replaced with moderates (another bad word on this forum) and they still cant get anything done. Even though the Legislature is overwhelmingly moderate GOP, even with the partnership of our few and far between Dems, they can't muster the votes to override his most asinine vetoes.

He keeps taking money from the transportation budget, and the state pension fund to make up budget shortfalls. He and his loyalists made approximately 300,000 Kansans completely exempt from state income taxes.

Our population is around 2.9 million. Since around 700,000 Kansans are below the age of 18, that means that those rocket scientists gave a minimum 14% of the taxpaying base a cut cut. No I said that wrong, he completely eliminated their taxes.

Because, you know, if 'Jerry' who runs Jerry's Lawncare doesn't have to pay income taxes, he'll run out and hire another guy to help him mow. Yeah, right, 'Jerry' just stops at the liquor store and buys more booze.

Fvcking idiots. (I mean Sam and his cronies, not Jerry, he's trying to make a living)

I wish Trump would hurry up and make him the Ambassador to the Vatican. Please.....

JoshNC
04-29-17, 17:38
Freak I would welcome that freaking hippie lune Jerry Brown. I imagine that most folks reading this would probably be fans of Sam Brownback's 'Great Kansas Experiment' in supply-side economics.
Well, let me tell you from ground level it ain't working for shit. And the freaking morons reelected him, just barely, but he still got reelected.

As a result, the makeup of the Kansas Legislature changed dramatically in the last election, most of his minions got swept out and replaced with moderates (another bad word on this forum) and they still cant get anything done. Even though the Legislature is overwhelmingly moderate GOP, even with the partnership of our few and far between Dems, they can't muster the votes to override his most asinine vetoes.

He keeps taking money from the transportation budget, and the state pension fund to make up budget shortfalls. He and his loyalists made approximately 300,000 Kansans completely exempt from state income taxes.

Our population is around 2.9 million. Since around 700,000 Kansans are below the age of 18, that means that those rocket scientists gave a minimum 14% of the taxpaying base a cut cut. No I said that wrong, he completely eliminated their taxes.

Because, you know, if 'Jerry' who runs Jerry's Lawncare doesn't have to pay income taxes, he'll run out and hire another guy to help him mow. Yeah, right, 'Jerry' just stops at the liquor store and buys more booze.

Fvcking idiots. (I mean Sam and his cronies, not Jerry, he's trying to make a living)

I wish Trump would hurry up and make him the Ambassador to the Vatican. Please.....

State income tax is robbery. He should have done away with it in its entirety. Look at TX, WY, TN, FL....

Eurodriver
04-29-17, 17:50
Federal income tax is robbery. States doing it is sodomy.

TomMcC
04-29-17, 17:59
I live in Kalifornia. If I'm not mistaken, we are the most taxed people in the nation. We have a pretty high income tax too (maybe the highest in the nation). We're #1, we're #1 sheesh boom bah.

My guess is that our illustrious statespersons will squander it on some other boondoggle, like the train to nowhere. Probably enviro weenie stuff.

ScottsBad
04-29-17, 18:23

What ever is happening in Kansas, it cannot be worse than what the true crazies in CA have done. You have no idea what we live with here. You may have gripes against Brownback's economic policies, but the second you came to CA and found unrestrained illegal immigration, sky high taxes, sky high housing prices, very high cost of living, crazy ultra-progressive school policies, unprecedented attacks on property rights, ridiculous rules on the use of parks or other public spaces, high cost of electricity and water, etc. etc. Commiefornia has a higher percentage of people on assistance than any other state, does that sound like a healthy state?

All of the budget problems have been buried with budget tricks. CA continually runs a deficit. The public unions, radicals, and environmentalists run the state.

Forget about 2nd Amendment rights, concealed carry pfft, everything is registered, and you will have to go through a fricking BACKGROUND CHECK TO BUY AMMO 1/1/2018 (no shipping to your door either). Want to go shoot at a range in CA? Good luck finding one close by. Of course you cannot buy any pistol that CA doesn't approve of. Want to buy a AR or any rifle with a pistol grip ? *BANNED* Sorry, they are assault weapons and you will go to jail. Already have one? Register it by the end of the year or you are a felon, OOOPS! the system to register it hasn't been created yet...neither have the actual regulations! Want to buy a Glock Gen 4? NO. Ruger Mark IV? NO. Sig P320, HK VP9, FN 509, or virtually any newer design? NO. It has to be on a roster of approved handguns. AR or AK pistol? NO. Want a folding stock? NO. And no magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds. Even if you owned an AR 30, AK 30, or even a Mini-14 20, from 25 years ago, it will soon be illegal to OWN and a Felony to use.

Want to ride a dirt bike at the State OHV park, make sure your dirt bike is registered ($50 a year, even for mini-bikes) and you haven't modified the SMOG system on it (yes I said smog system on an off road bike). 2-strokes may only ride in the winter, and many trails and parks get closed randomly for "environmental" reasons. Then there are those frequent 'spare the air days' when you cannot use your BBQ or have a fire in your fireplace (seems to happen at Christmas time in the last couple of years) the fines are not cheap and you'll have to go to 're-education camp'). Want to wash your car in your own driveway? Sorry, illegal in many areas. You'll have to spend $30 for a car wash.

Fishing and hunting is similarly burdened with high costs and special regulations. No lead ammo is allowed for any kind of hunting and you cannot carry a handgun. if you need to finish the game you cannot shoot it with a handgun. It just goes on and on and on.

You might be far better off in Kansas.

TomMcC
04-29-17, 18:32
What ever is happening in Kansas, it cannot be worse than what the true crazies in CA have done. You have no idea what we live with here. You may have gripes against Brownback's economic policies, but the second you came to CA and found unrestrained illegal immigration, sky high taxes, sky high housing prices, very high cost of living, crazy ultra-progressive school policies, unprecedented attacks on property rights, ridiculous rules on the use of parks or other public spaces, high cost of electricity and water, etc. etc. Commiefornia has a higher percentage of people on assistance than any other state, does that sound like a healthy state?

All of the budget problems have been buried with budget tricks. CA continually runs a deficit. The public unions, radicals, and environmentalists run the state.

Forget about 2nd Amendment rights, concealed carry pfft, everything is registered, and you will have to go through a fricking BACKGROUND CHECK TO BUY AMMO 1/1/2018 (no shipping to your door either). Want to go shoot at a range in CA? Good luck finding one close by. Of course you cannot buy any pistol that CA doesn't approve of. Want to buy a AR or nay rifle with a pistol grip? Sorry, they are assault weapons and you will go to jail. Already have one? Register it by the end of the year or you are a felon, OOOPS! the system to register it hasn't been created yet...neither have the actual regulations!

Want to ride a dirt bike at the State OHV park, make sure your dirt bike is registered ($50 a year, even for mini-bikes) and you haven't modified the SMOG system on it (yes I said smog system on an off road bike). 2-strokes may only ride in the winter, and many trails and parks get closed randomly for "environmental" reasons. Then there are those frequent 'spare the air days' when you cannot use your BBQ or have a fire in your fireplace (seems to happen at Christmas time in the last couple of years) the fines are not cheap and you'll have to go to 're-education camp'). Want to wash your car in your own driveway? Sorry, illegal in many areas. You'll have to spend $30 for a car wash.

Fishing and hunting is similarly burdened with high costs and special regulations. No lead ammo is allowed for any kind of hunting and you cannot carry a handgun. if you need to finish the game you cannot shoot it with a handgun. It just goes on and on and on.

I don't know how you're set bro, but I'm counting the days. Idaho is my earthly promised land.

elephant
04-29-17, 19:25
My math is so brilliantly precise, I could not only plot the interstellar galactic trajectory for landing a probe on a distant asteroid in a far off galaxy, but plot the free trajectory gravitational return course as well. The average price per gallon in Ca. is $2.88 per DOT, but as one member mentioned in a reply, he is currently paying $3.09 per gallon. My math would make Einstein blush!

sevenhelmet
04-29-17, 19:36
Bait and switch. The tax proceeds from this are going to end up going toward the state's looming pension crisis. You won't see any improvements to state-owned roads.

Firefly nailed it.

TomMcC
04-29-17, 19:52
Bait and switch. The tax proceeds from this are going to end up going toward the state's looming pension crisis. You won't see any improvements to state-owned roads.

Firefly nailed it.

Man I hope you're right, but that sounds wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyy too rational for this bunch. They have been supposedly dealing with the pension prob for a long time, but it never gets better. But environmentalism, it's like a drug to these wastes of skin. If they jettison the "we're fixin' the roads" path, they certainly should fix something like the pension issue, something they caused.

ScottsBad
04-29-17, 20:23
I don't know how you're set bro, but I'm counting the days. Idaho is my earthly promised land.

Funny, I've been looking hard at Idaho for over a year. I've got to wait until my kids leave HS before we will move. Good luck to you, hope you make it before I do since I have to wait three years.

rero360
04-29-17, 21:11
The only gas around here that is less than 3.00 is Arco, maybe Costco but I haven't checked in a while, everything else is closer to 3.30 for regular.

ABNAK
04-29-17, 21:17
Tennessee just passed a gas-tax increase here recently. IIRC it will add .06 per gallon. As long as it was guaranteed to include only road/bridge repair that would be one thing. But last I heard there was no legally binding aspect to it. ie. you could still conceivably drop $$$ on bike trails or light-rail!

HKGuns
04-29-17, 22:14

Forget about 2nd Amendment rights, concealed carry pfft, everything is registered, and you will have to go through a fricking BACKGROUND CHECK TO BUY AMMO 1/1/2018 (no shipping to your door either). Want to go shoot at a range in CA? Good luck finding one close by. Of course you cannot buy any pistol that CA doesn't approve of. Want to buy a AR or any rifle with a pistol grip ? *BANNED* Sorry, they are assault weapons and you will go to jail. Already have one? Register it by the end of the year or you are a felon, OOOPS! the system to register it hasn't been created yet...neither have the actual regulations! Want to buy a Glock Gen 4? NO. Ruger Mark IV? NO. Sig P320, HK VP9, FN 509, or virtually any newer design? NO. It has to be on a roster of approved handguns. AR or AK pistol? NO. Want a folding stock? NO. And no magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds. Even if you owned an AR 30, AK 30, or even a Mini-14 20, from 25 years ago, it will soon be illegal to OWN and a Felony to use.

MOVE! You're outnumbered and voting with your feet is your only option. Let them wallow in the shit they've created.

I still say Tump ought to sell that miserable State to the Chinese, except for a few of the strategic ports with good access to deep water. At this point they have more in common with the Chinese than the US anyway.

JoshNC
04-29-17, 22:27
Federal income tax is robbery. States doing it is sodomy.

True. And additional county taxes, as in my city, are even worse.

26 Inf
04-29-17, 23:19

I lived in California for about two-years, 1972 - 1974ish, IIRC the state sales tax was six percent then.

Brownback will soon be gone, we will have a Democratic Governor next term. Not good or bad, just the way it will be.

A couple of guys posted about income taxes in general being unconstitutional (my take on their comments). Until we can eliminate all surcharges/taxes and go with something like a state and federal sales tax, we have to fund government. The same would apply even if government was smaller.

JMO

elephant
04-30-17, 00:42
Do you know what we declared independence from? I will give you a hint: it was for far less than what you and I have experienced in our lifetime. You want to own a cab company in New York? It only cost $25,000,000.00 for a permit. A hot food truck in Los Angeles, $1,000,000.00 for a permit for 1 truck, how about a dispensary in Denver, $35,000,000.00 for a permit. A garage sale in Dallas can set you back $250 for a 1 day permit and only 1 permit in a 365 day period will be given. There are cities in and around Dallas that require a home owner to pay up to $500 for a "gathering" permit which is defined as more than 2 cars or 10 quest at a single residence for more than 2 hours. The alternative minimum shelter tax that is circulating around congress would allow the tax man to collect property tax on anything that could be considered a "shelter" including sheds, dog houses, shipping containers and campers. I don't mind paying my fair share of my tax obligation to the US Federal Government. But we are getting raped by our city, county, state and federal government all at once.

jpmuscle
04-30-17, 01:55
Do you know what we declared independence from? I will give you a hint: it was for far less than what you and I have experienced in our lifetime. You want to own a cab company in New York? It only cost $25,000,000.00 for a permit. A hot food truck in Los Angeles, $1,000,000.00 for a permit for 1 truck, how about a dispensary in Denver, $35,000,000.00 for a permit. A garage sale in Dallas can set you back $250 for a 1 day permit and only 1 permit in a 365 day period will be given. There are cities in and around Dallas that require a home owner to pay up to $500 for a "gathering" permit which is defined as more than 2 cars or 10 quest at a single residence for more than 2 hours. The alternative minimum shelter tax that is circulating around congress would allow the tax man to collect property tax on anything that could be considered a "shelter" including sheds, dog houses, shipping containers and campers. I don't mind paying my fair share of my tax obligation to the US Federal Government. But we are getting raped by our city, county, state and federal government all at once.
Yea, the shooting should have started a long time ago considering how egregious things have become.

Our forefathers would be ashamed..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JoshNC
04-30-17, 07:35
I lived in California for about two-years, 1972 - 1974ish, IIRC the state sales tax was six percent then.

Brownback will soon be gone, we will have a Democratic Governor next term. Not good or bad, just the way it will be.

A couple of guys posted about income taxes in general being unconstitutional (my take on their comments). Until we can eliminate all surcharges/taxes and go with something like a state and federal sales tax, we have to fund government. The same would apply even if government was smaller.

JMO

The states that lack state income tax seem to do fine.

turnburglar
04-30-17, 09:45
I'm constantly between AZ and CA, and it blows my mind how such a 'small and poor' state like AZ can somehow manage their roads, infrastructure, and WATER. Mean while there are actually turds in CA that think they could do it on their own.

I think trump should sell California. It'll fall completely apart and then we could just buy it back and flip the state for a competitive price. Real estate 101.

sevenhelmet
04-30-17, 10:08
MOVE! You're outnumbered and voting with your feet is your only option. Let them wallow in the shit they've created.

I hear you, but moving can be a complicated prospect depending on one's situation. I have my exit strategy planned, but it'll be a few years due to my military commitment. But I love my job, and thanks to military residence rules my household doesn't pay income tax to the criminals in Sacramento. A small victory, but I'll take it.

JoshNC
04-30-17, 11:02
I hear you, but moving can be a complicated prospect depending on one's situation. I have my exit strategy planned, but it'll be a few years due to my military commitment. But I love my job, and thanks to military residence rules my household doesn't pay income tax to the criminals in Sacramento. A small victory, but I'll take it.

That is a not so small victory. I was appalled at the state taxes the year I lived in NorCal. It is simply astounding - ballot initiatives to raise taxes. All voted on likely by a large segment of CA residents who don't themselves pay any taxes. Basically the entitlement class voting for the working class to pay more.

I truly feel for our liberty-loving CA brothers and sisters who are trapped behind enemy lines. I moved there knowing it was only for one year and could not wait to leave. My last night in CA I went out for drinks in Palo Alto with some friends and coworkers. After the bars closed, I looked around and realized the town was swarming with pretty seedy apparent East Palo Alto Latino gang members who were cutting in the late night food lines and aggressively posturing toward the meek feeble Stanford students who were allowing them to cut the lines without a peep of protest. All the while the Palo Alto police were just standing around watching the chaos and doing nothing. I stood up to a group of people who attempted to cut in front of me, which in retrospect was not the smartest idea. They were clearly gang members, all tatted up and acting very aggressively toward me and my friends who weren't putting up with their BS. This was in Palo Alto, one of the most expensive towns in the state - if this happens in Palo Alto I can't imagine what goes on in the rest of the state. These a-holes have no concern for the rule of law and likely own noncompliant ARs, AKs, etc without any modicum of police insterest. Yet law-abiding gun owners are held to draconian regulations that do nothing to prevent actual crime. And all the while being "represented" by the likes of Leland Yee, pushing for restrictive gun control while facilitating the purchase of FA AKs and DDs by gang members.

Texas42
04-30-17, 12:12
The states that lack state income tax seem to do fine.

Our property taxes in TX are high, easily account for 5-8% of people's income. It's not like we aren't paying state and local taxes. Though gas is around $2.13 right now.

JoshNC
04-30-17, 14:04
Our property taxes in TX are high, easily account for 5-8% of people's income. It's not like we aren't paying state and local taxes. Though gas is around $2.13 right now.

Same with FL, my home state (though I don't live there now).

High property tax sucks, however at least you are paying for something you own instead of being assessed based on your income.

kwelz
04-30-17, 14:15
Here in Indiana the GOP super Majority has done the same thing. Except they also are leaving it open to adding major tolls to the roads. Needless to say those of us who have supported these guys and gals over the years are less than happy.

bp7178
04-30-17, 14:18
I guess all those marijuana taxes are helping that much after all...:blink:

Eurodriver
04-30-17, 15:03
Same with FL, my home state (though I don't live there now).

High property tax sucks, however at least you are paying for something you own instead of being assessed based on your income.

Yes.

Make $10,000,000 a year but want to live in a $150k house you pay taxes on the $150k (minus a $50k homestead deduction)

Property taxes suck too, but you don't get penalized for being successful.

JoshNC
04-30-17, 16:46
Yes.

Make $10,000,000 a year but want to live in a $150k house you pay taxes on the $150k (minus a $50k homestead deduction)

Property taxes suck too, but you don't get penalized for being successful.

Exactly.

ndmiller
04-30-17, 17:00
At Costco today, gas was $2.09 in GA. But we just had a portion of a major interchange (i85) collapse after stuff stored under it caught fire, and our roads are littered with pothole even though we don't really get winter here.

Not sure if were better off or not, but the south is clearly not rising again without a lot of Cialis to help it along......

JoshNC
04-30-17, 17:08
At Costco today, gas was $2.09 in GA. But we just had a portion of a major interchange (i85) collapse after stuff stored under it caught fire, and our roads are littered with pothole even though we don't really get winter here.

Not sure if were better off or not, but the south is clearly not rising again without a lot of Cialis to help it along......

Man I remember paying 99 cents a gallon at some stations along I95 in GA in 2001.

26 Inf
04-30-17, 18:50
Man I remember paying 99 cents a gallon at some stations along I95 in GA in 2001.

Well, shit, as Euro can attest to I'm a decrepit old middle-aged neckbeard, I remember two things most of you guys probably wont - 1) .19 cents a gallon gasoline; 2) gas wars between filling stations.

Of course back the all the gearheads had cars with huge Holley four barrels or three dueces and probably got 6 miles to the gallon. Plus they were totally clapped out at 80,000 - 100,000. Now they are just broken in.

Plus, donuts, way better than KK were a nickel, and pop was a dime.

Get your Grandpa to sign on to M4C and we can talk about it.

interfan
05-01-17, 18:02
Well, shit, as Euro can attest to I'm a decrepit old middle-aged neckbeard, I remember two things most of you guys probably wont - 1) .19 cents a gallon gasoline; 2) gas wars between filling stations.

I guess I'm old because I do remember $.55 gas at the Camp Pendelton mainside fuel station back in 1986.

For current fuel prices, I looked at my receipts for diesel over the past week. I drove in three states, Nevada, California, and Arizona and filled up my X5 diesel in each of them.

Nevada: $2.69/gallon (Shell Station in Henderson)
Arizona: $2.63/gallon (Shell Station in Scottsdale)
California: $3.29/gallon (Shell Station in Carlsbad)

So Arizona is $.66/gallon cheaper than California. Add CA's new $.20 tax on diesel and it will be $.86/gallon more than Arizona. Considering that CA has the worst roads of the bunch, it is obvious that they haven't been using the current tax proceeds for road maintenance. I hit a very bad, very bumpy stretch of road on the I-10 at high speed and probably lost a filling.

I agree with Firefly, there's no desire to use funds for "fixing" roads. They'll just dump the money in public pensions to stave off insolvency for another few months. The state has a degenerate gambler's mentality on economics. They think that the revenue bet on one more tax will yield the jackpot that will make everything work for them, without any cuts in spending. Yet economics is a cruel mistress who always punishes those who can't follow her laws. A few bumps in basis points for interest rates, and CA can't tax fast enough to keep up with debt service. A loss of Federal funds and which services get cancelled? Even with California's dopey electorate, I don't know how you can sell using taxpayer funds to pay for illegal alien legal defense at the expense of fire service or closing parks.

The downfall has been gerrymandered districts where the whole politics of the state is ruled by idiots who elect evil, corrupt, sociopaths who claim they know what is best for them. Too much "We'll tax the rich people, Paco. This will keep you safe and won't cost you a cent". A day of reckoning is bound to come. Too much hubris for it not to happen.

soulezoo
05-01-17, 18:15

Of course back the all the gearheads had cars with huge Holley four barrels or three dueces and probably got 6 miles to the gallon. Plus they were totally clapped out at 80,000 - 100,000. Now they are just broken in.

Plus, donuts, way better than KK were a nickel, and pop was a dime.

Get your Grandpa to sign on to M4C and we can talk about it.

Well, since my Gpa is long gone, he can't discuss it with you, but he was the local Standard Oil guy and sold gas from a gravity unit for $0.10 a gallon.

Oregon doesn't have sales tax but property taxes are outrageous and income tax is high as well.

Firefly
05-01-17, 18:25
I'm not all old like 26 Methuselah but I very vividly recall 97 cent gas, $1.50 pack of Reds, $5.00 movie tickets, and women not having a tribe of kids at age 21.

Plus Rachel hair amd Spice Girl fashion.

Those were the days......

ETA And F you, fresh hot Krispy Kreme is legit

soulezoo
05-01-17, 19:00
Fresh hot Winchell's out here. I recall the first time I had a KK donut. I was with my crew just outside of Benning, late night after drinking and we were in Hardee's drive thru. On of the Hardee's employees came running up with fresh hot KK and gave us all one. We went straight to KK after that.

My day was all about Farrah vs Jaclyn... and yeah, I had the poster on my wall.

SeriousStudent
05-01-17, 19:05
The cheapest gas I can remember is 23 cents a gallon when I was a wee lad.

A carton of Salem's was about seven bucks.

Movies were a buck and a quarter at the inside theater. Wednesday night at the drive-in was two bucks for the entire car.

26 Inf
05-01-17, 20:59
Movies were a buck and a quarter at the inside theater. Wednesday night at the drive-in was two bucks for the entire car.

Had a lot of fun at the drive-in. We'd get two or three cars, park next to each other and watch the movie and BS. As long as you didn't get too loud nobody cared. Had a lot of other fun when it was just me and my date, but this forum is to dignified for such talk.

I've noticed that my daughters, and their classmates aren't as much into dating as we were. They tend to do a lot of things as mixed groups. I don't know if that is common elsewhere but it seems to be the trend here.

Where I was going with that was this: seems if that is the dynamic, drive-ins could make a come back with their age group.

Firefly
05-01-17, 21:15
I dont wanna go into OTville but as a teenybopper, we never "dated" or "went steady" in my era. Everybody just seemed to informally hang out and there was always something going on at the mall or the park. Always a healthy mix of male and female. Nothing really debaucherous. Mostly innocent.

Now kids just tic tac on their phone. Going to a concert sucks. In the day everybody was rocking out. Now it is a bunch of phones and ipads flickering.

Kinda sad. I feel bad for young people now