PDA

View Full Version : Heat: Back in theaters for one night only

Moose-Knuckle
04-30-17, 04:57
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Micheal Mann's opus, Heat is playing in theaters for one night only Tuesday May 2nd with a LIVE Q&A with Mann himself.

I cannot attend the screening as I have a prior engagement but if you have an Alamo Draft House close by here you go.

https://drafthouse.com/event/heat-with-michael-mann-livestream-qa

Also released that same day is the Directors Definitive Edition Blu-ray.

SteyrAUG
04-30-17, 21:16

Looks like just improvements in image and audio with no mention of special features, extended scenes or anything like that so thankfully I won't have to buy a third release of this film.

Firefly
04-30-17, 21:29
Is it just me or does the guy from Heat look like the guy from Scarface?

ETA. Also Heat kinda sucks. It is a total ripoff of this NBC movie of the week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EqYkCsxzXc

Big A
04-30-17, 21:46

Dat Grand National doe...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Firefly
04-30-17, 21:57
Dat Grand National doe...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Indeed. I miss seeing boxy cars everywhere.
I miss jazzy electric cop music.

Everyone goes on about FNCs but I would do things for a SPAS-15. Thai things.....

SteyrAUG
04-30-17, 22:53

Ummmm, you do know that is a Michael Mann film right? Essentially the same movie, same characters but a lower budget, small screen first run. Honestly, I wish they'd release that version as an extra to one of the DVD "special editions" of Heat.

SteyrAUG
04-30-17, 23:17

Everyone goes on about FNCs but I would do things for a SPAS-15. Thai things.....

Here you go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/642484711

Honestly, even if they were still imported and priced under $1,000 I'd still probably pass on one. I had a SPAS-12 and while it looked cool as hell, it was one of the more ungainly firearms I ever owned. As soon as the M1S90 came out I sold mine without thinking twice. I still don't miss it except to possibly have a scary looking shotty with a top folding stock and umbrella carry handle to look at.

Box mag shotties with 6 round limits are kind of a pain also. I knew a guy who had a USAS 12 and it looked cool but even having a 10 round box magazine it was still clunky to use and reload. I'd rather top off a M1S90 or an 870 from a bandoleer than carry a bunch of plus size box magazines. It really was a lot like trying to run around with a Barrett and a bag full of 10 lb. magazines.

Firefly
04-30-17, 23:19
That was the joke......(Except doing Thai things for a SPAS-15. My dignity does have a pricetag for certain things)

Actually.....I kinda miss the old movie of the week cop shows. Lots of action but not too explicit, good guy always wins, and so on.

Miami Vice got either dull or heavy handed at times. But seeing some middle aged maverick with a 1911 or a .357 blast some dope dealer toting an UZI was chicken soup for the soul.

Now its all about lawyers and women in high heels ninja kicking a 300lb dude through a wall instead of shooting him.

Lame. Bring back disheveled guys in suits with custom 1911s or 6" S&Ws living out of a buick and chainsmoking and dropping one liners!

MountainRaven
04-30-17, 23:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-t9jgGVXQg

SteyrAUG
04-30-17, 23:48
That was the joke......(Except doing Thai things for a SPAS-15. My dignity does have a pricetag for certain things)

Actually.....I kinda miss the old movie of the week cop shows. Lots of action but not too explicit, good guy always wins, and so on.

Miami Vice got either dull or heavy handed at times. But seeing some middle aged maverick with a 1911 or a .357 blast some dope dealer toting an UZI was chicken soup for the soul.

Now its all about lawyers and women in high heels ninja kicking a 300lb dude through a wall instead of shooting him.

Lame. Bring back disheveled guys in suits with custom 1911s or 6" S&Ws living out of a buick and chainsmoking and dropping one liners!

Go watch "McQ" and you'll be good to go again. I also suggest The Rockford Files box set.

MountainRaven
05-01-17, 00:00
On the topic of 1911-packing cops... Doesn't the titular character in Bosch carry a full-size 1911?

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 00:33
I came to the GD tonight to start a new thread about the movie "Heat". Something to the effect of: "Just finished watching Heat. Once again I'm reminded of just how awesome that movie is. The acting, the cinematography, the soundtrack....Everything. Some of the scenes like DeNiro and Val at his beach house, sitting there, the ocean in the background, or the scene with Eady and DeNiro, with the the city lights in the background. That's just amazing film work to me. That last scene, with the music, the lines, the hand...it's just maybe the best last scene of any movie I've watched.

I had no idea it was the 25th anniversary and the movie was showing down in Austin tonight.... a mere 45 minute drive or so...
I like the movie for a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest reasons is knowing this is it. There won't be a sequel. There was no gap, nothing "saved" for a later reveal.you got 150% of everyone in the movie. At least it feels that way.

All that to say Moose, ya beat me to the punch!! It would have been pretty awesome to see it on the big screen though.

Moose-Knuckle
05-01-17, 04:39
I came to the GD tonight to start a new thread about the movie "Heat". Something to the effect of: "Just finished watching Heat. Once again I'm reminded of just how awesome that movie is. The acting, the cinematography, the soundtrack....Everything. Some of the scenes like DeNiro and Val at his beach house, sitting there, the ocean in the background, or the scene with Eady and DeNiro, with the the city lights in the background. That's just amazing film work to me. That last scene, with the music, the lines, the hand...it's just maybe the best last scene of any movie I've watched.

I had no idea it was the 25th anniversary and the movie was showing down in Austin tonight.... a mere 45 minute drive or so...
I like the movie for a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest reasons is knowing this is it. There won't be a sequel. There was no gap, nothing "saved" for a later reveal.you got 150% of everyone in the movie. At least it feels that way.

All that to say Moose, ya beat me to the punch!! It would have been pretty awesome to see it on the big screen though.

Agree with all the above.

Mann's shooting style and the nightscape scenes are really his signature. Same with Collateral. He really has a love for the beauty of Los Angeles at night and his use of the Metrolink rail as a metaphor in both those films as he tells his human condition sagas.

The film is showing on Tuesday May 2nd so you could still make the drive. Austin has multiple Alamo locations so there might be one closer to you than the original one on 6th street.

austinN4
05-01-17, 05:25
LA triple header: Heat and Collateral by Mann and To Live and Die in LA by Friedkin.

austinN4
05-01-17, 05:28
Austin has multiple Alamo locations so there might be one closer to you than the original one on 6th street.

https://drafthouse.com/locations

BBossman
05-01-17, 08:15
On the topic of 1911-packing cops... Doesn't the titular character in Bosch carry a full-size 1911?

Kimber... and Bosch is actually fairly entertaining. Being that my formative years were spent watching Adam-12 and Dragnet along with reading Wambaugh books, I ALWAYS enjoy LA cop dramas.

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 08:48
LA triple header: Heat and Collateral by Mann and To Live and Die in LA by Friedkin.

Boy you hit a trifecta right there Austin. Rarely is a movie so good and the music so good that I will go out and hunt down the sound track. Heat was one of those movies I had to have the soundtrack on. So was "To Live and Die in LA". I'm one of those guys who can watch a really good move several times. My wife is and one and done". But To Live and Die in LA and Heat are two that I have watched numerous times and will try watch numerous more times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 08:51

Thanks Austin! I'm going to try and work it out to get down there. Since I'm north of Austin on the 35, Lakeline is probably my best bet.

Voodoochild
05-01-17, 10:06
Needs to be remastered and put out in 3D. Imagine watching the shootout scene in 3D.

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 11:01

Mann's shooting style and the nightscape scenes are really his signature. Same with Collateral. He really has a love for the beauty of Los Angeles at night and his use of the Metrolink rail as a metaphor in both those films as he tells his human condition sagas.

The film is showing on Tuesday May 2nd so you could still make the drive. Austin has multiple Alamo locations so there might be one closer to you than the original one on 6th street.

You are spot on. It's like he has this innate ability to create a series of vignettes that are powerful in and of themselves. But for me, they just keep drawing me in, building and building, so that by the time I got that last scene, it's just so powerful. I actually feel a "disappointment" that the movie is over. That probably sounds whack, but that's how I see the movie. He starts and slaps you in the face with cold, hard precision and on the opposite end, a virtual train wreck in progress with Pacino's life. Makes you think these two guys are polar opposites of each other. (Vincent reminds me of John Coffee in The Green Mile.) And the two end up merging at the end nothing that different except the fundamental part that's opposite. They are almost "brothers" in some crazy sense. At least that's my take.

I can't think of a crime movie that has even broached this movie.maybe there is, but I can't think of one.

Sensei
05-01-17, 11:09

Bosch (Amazon) and The Americans (FX) are among the best shows currently running. Granted, The Americans is a little slow this season, but there are still a few more episodes to go.

Truth.

Boy you hit a trifecta right there Austin. Rarely is a movie so good and the music so good that I will go out and hunt down the sound track. Heat was one of those movies I had to have the soundtrack on. So was "To Live and Die in LA". I'm one of those guys who can watch a really good move several times. My wife is and one and done". But To Live and Die in LA and Heat are two that I have watched numerous times and will try watch numerous more times.

I have the Heat soundtrack too. Moby's work for that credit song God Moving Over the Face of the Waters was outstanding.

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 11:29
I have the Heat soundtrack too. Moby's work for that credit song God Moving Over the Face of the Waters was outstanding.
That's right. I remember it now. It really was an outstanding score, and particularly that song. I just brought that song up on YouTube. (CD didn't make it through too many Army moves.) Brilliant.... It's hard to imagine a better song for that ending. I don't think there is one.
I absolutely love it when a director and composer can put together a scene with visuals and music that moves me. At that point I'm not even cognizant that it's a movie set. Thats how good the collaboration was.

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 11:42
Sorry gents. Couldn't resist.

https://youtu.be/426LibmHSWw

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 12:03

Just bought my tickets! Kinda close up front, but got a center table.

Moose - thanks for posting.

Austin - thanks for the link. Going to the showing at Lakeline. This will be my first visit to the Drafthouse. You going?

Firefly
05-01-17, 12:21
Per the soundtrack, funny story.

Goth music was still kinda underground and edgy in them days. Anyhow I saw Heat in theatres as a teen and didnt really like it at first (aside from the shoot out). It got kinda talky and kinda boring. Anyways Moby starts playing New Dawn Fades and we were like "WTF that's Joy Division!" I remember being irked that they used a cover instead of the original version.

Never really got into the whole Pacino/DeNiro shipping that everyone squees about in this movie. I LOVED Natalie Portman from Leon and vowed to marry her one day (and 23 odd years later that has not happened. Also She's slightly older than me, pervos). And yet it took me some years to realize she was even in the movie.

So....It's not a bad movie but all I cared about was the shootout.

As much as I loathe Ben Affleck, I thought The Town had the better story but less amusing shootouts.

I mean it really sounds like .223 being sent downrange.

elephant
05-01-17, 12:47
I just watched Heat back to back last Friday: Best scene of all time!

austinN4
05-01-17, 13:17
You going?

Nah, I own it. I'll watch it at home. I hate public movie theaters of any kind.
Got better beer here also, LOL, and no DUi on the way home!
An all around win!

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-01-17, 13:55

Wow, that's a good rainy Saturday.

On music, TL&DILA with that techno beat that seems always to be increasing...

TL&DIALA was when I was in HS. Sex, drugs, lesbians, money, power, lesbians. The last scene with the new boss same as the old boss.

Crap, I almost bough the soundtrack to the movie "The Heat", that would have sucked. I don't see it on iTunes.

Grand58742
05-01-17, 14:19
Best AR mag change in a movie ever at 6:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

I do like the fact Andy McNab and Mick Gould took their time to teach the actors about the fundamentals of weapons. They are using sights, controlling fire (not mag dumping from the hip) and using proper tactics of fire and move, covering each other and calling out commands. For most movies of the time period, that's almost unheard of.

Firefly
05-01-17, 15:04
I forget where I heard/read it but one of the car tags say "LUP 123" or some such. Some of you by vocation automatically pay attention to tags.

Apparently it wasn't a generic tag.. It was an in joke by tge aforementioned Andy McNab.

Laying Up Point while doing mag change suppressive fire.

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 15:19
Deleted

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-01-17, 16:04
https://youtu.be/5RyEHG1llrk

Heat deleted scenes, I've never seen before.

Jer
05-01-17, 21:00
Damn. I wish there was an Alamo Drafthouse closer than 1.5hrs one way because i would LOVE to see that at the theater. This is one of if not my favorite movie of all time. Amazing by any standard.

SeriousStudent
05-01-17, 21:22
Hmmm - there's an Alamo Drafthouse 15 minutes from Rancho Serious. I think I'll take it in.

SteyrAUG
05-01-17, 22:00

Yeah, I think it's Mann's masterpiece, and not just for the guns. You see similar use of music and lighted landscapes in "Public Enemies" but not to the same extent. Mann really is a master of "lightscape" for lack of a better term.

While not quite the same "feel" I would add L.A. Confidential and you would have four of my favorite films. "To Live and Die in LA" is also the perfect 80s film, just captures everything.

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 22:58
Hmmm - there's an Alamo Drafthouse 15 minutes from Rancho Serious. I think I'll take it in.

You should! We have 6 in Austin and I when I checked at about 1500, I think 3 of the 6 were already sold out. Lakeline, where I'm going had some seating but it was getting tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
05-01-17, 23:13
Yeah, I think it's Mann's masterpiece, and not just for the guns. You see similar use of music and lighted landscapes in "Public Enemies" but not to the same extent. Mann really is a master of "lightscape" for lack of a better term.
I think AR's a very good way to put it. He was also a master of the alternate camera view. Think of those scenes where the closing scene would be from behind the person, with them in focus but he ocean slightly out, or a dark profile, like DeNiro overlooking his balcony out at the ocean after he met Eady. I mean there just seems to be a lot of intelligence in these scenes, or maybe complexity, but it's accessible...meaning it's not difficult to get the emotion and sense of the moment that Mann was trying to convey. I'm really excited to see this tomorrow night. Remastered and on a large screen. And I hear they make a Greta burger. Win-win and win!

While not quite the same "feel" I would add L.A. Confidential and you would have four of my favorite films. "To Live and Die in LA" is also the perfect 80s film, just captures everything.
I would definitely add that one. While he isn't at the forefront a lot, I'm a big fan of Guy Pierce. He brings such an intensity to film that is so hard to read in some of his roles. Is he good? Is he bad? Is he just good at being bad?
They had an excellent cast in LA Confidential. In that time maybe not to the level of Heat, but they are all excellent at their trade IMO.

SteyrAUG
05-01-17, 23:44
I think AR's a very good way to put it. He was also a master of the alternate camera view. Think of those scenes where the closing scene would be from behind the person, with them in focus but he ocean slightly out, or a dark profile, like DeNiro overlooking his balcony out at the ocean after he met Eady. I mean there just seems to be a lot of intelligence in these scenes, or maybe complexity, but it's accessible...meaning it's not difficult to get the emotion and sense of the moment that Mann was trying to convey. I'm really excited to see this tomorrow night. Remastered and on a large screen. And I hear they make a Greta burger. Win-win and win!

Even in scenes where nothing is really happening, like Neil and Eady driving through the tunnel to make their escape had a wonderful and complete composition. You already mentioned most of the truly incredible scenes, the ending when the scene goes wide and the lights and music come up, I always think how that is a signature Michael Mann scene. I'm just blown away every time no matter how many times I see it.

I would definitely add that one. While he isn't at the forefront a lot, I'm a big fan of Guy Pierce. He brings such an intensity to film that is so hard to read in some of his roles. Is he good? Is he bad? Is he just good at being bad?
They had an excellent cast in LA Confidential. In that time maybe not to the level of Heat, but they are all excellent at their trade IMO.

I just love that somebody finally made a really incredible "noir", it's a favorite genre of mine. Done as a period piece they really made the most of it with casting, mood, wardrobe, etc. and somehow managed to be completely original without the "this has been done before" feeling. Also something about the contrast and dynamic of Russel Crowe and Kevin Spacey. Factor in Guy Pierce as the "odd man out" who as it turns out really isn't and the completely unexpected fate of Spacey's character and it really was the first movie to impress me in a long time.

As with Heat, everything just worked.

RobertTheTexan
05-02-17, 00:33
I just love that somebody finally made a really incredible "noir", it's a favorite genre of mine. Done as a period piece they really made the most of it with casting, mood, wardrobe, etc. and somehow managed to be completely original without the "this has been done before" feeling. Also something about the contrast and dynamic of Russel Crowe and Kevin Spacey. Factor in Guy Pierce as the "odd man out" who as it turns out really isn't and the completely unexpected fate of Spacey's character and it really was the first movie to impress me in a long time.

LA Confidential - now a happy member of my movie movie collection. You reminded me just how good this movie was.
You know I can enjoy the modern hootzpah of the new movies, the technology used in them. But if you think about it....that's about as deep as it goes. Strip away all the CGI, the technology, the "ooooooooh" and "aaaahhhhhhh" and what do you have left?

Not Heat. Not To Live & Die in LA
And not LA Confidential. Not even a Rocky 1.
Those movies HAD to have depth and substance because they didn't have a lot of flashbang to distract you from noticing that the plot is rather shallow.

Moose-Knuckle
05-02-17, 04:17

I read through the thread and saw Steyr beat me to the punch.

I was going to say; why have a triple when you can have a quadruple and add L.A. Confidential?

All fantastic films, Heat being THE BEST.

Moose-Knuckle
05-02-17, 04:21
Kimber... and Bosch is actually fairly entertaining. Being that my formative years were spent watching Adam-12 and Dragnet along with reading Wambaugh books, I ALWAYS enjoy LA cop dramas.

I want to check out Bosch for no other reason than Titus Welliver. First thing I remember him in was the X-Files episode Darkness Falls where he played a militant tree hugger sabotaging logging equipment in Washington state.

Then he played one of my favorite characters in Deadwood.

And of course his role in The Town.

Off camera, he is known for his outstanding impersonations, probably some floating around YouTube. Dude is a great actor and I'm glad he finally has his own show after all these years.

Moose-Knuckle
05-02-17, 04:25
You are spot on. It's like he has this innate ability to create a series of vignettes that are powerful in and of themselves. But for me, they just keep drawing me in, building and building, so that by the time I got that last scene, it's just so powerful. I actually feel a "disappointment" that the movie is over. That probably sounds whack, but that's how I see the movie. He starts and slaps you in the face with cold, hard precision and on the opposite end, a virtual train wreck in progress with Pacino's life. Makes you think these two guys are polar opposites of each other. (Vincent reminds me of John Coffee in The Green Mile.) And the two end up merging at the end nothing that different except the fundamental part that's opposite. They are almost "brothers" in some crazy sense. At least that's my take.

I can't think of a crime movie that has even broached this movie.maybe there is, but I can't think of one.

Couldn't agree more.

The last scene where Hanna held McCauley's hand as he breathed his last was epic. Both warriors knew only one could remain and neither took it personal if it was them who got their ticket punched. Both the cop and the robber were the epitome of the consummate professional. The meeting of titans.

It really was an outstanding score, and particularly that song. I just brought that song up on YouTube. (CD didn't make it through too many Army moves.) Brilliant.... It's hard to imagine a better song for that ending. I don't think there is one.
I absolutely love it when a director and composer can put together a scene with visuals and music that moves me. At that point I'm not even cognizant that it's a movie set. Thats how good the collaboration was.

Another of Mann's epics, The Last of the Mohicans is probably my favorite film of all time. That soundtrack is timeless, I wore out the cassette when I bought my first copy around age 13, still own it on CD. Mann has a knack for music as well. Love the Miami Vice soundtrack to, the film as he did the TV series as well.

Just bought my tickets! Kinda close up front, but got a center table.

Moose - thanks for posting.

Your welcome, there is more than a few Heat fans around here!

Hope you enjoy it on the big screen with the new digital remastering. I'm perturbed that I cannot make it. I have an Alamo thirty minutes from me, oh well.

I hope they record and release Mann's LIVE Q&A!

RobertTheTexan
05-02-17, 07:14
Another of Mann's epics, The Last of the Mohicans is probably my favorite film of all time. That soundtrack is timeless, I wore out the cassette when I bought my first copy around age 13, still own it on CD.

This movie???? Deserves it's own thread as well. You are correct. This is one of the very best epics IMO. One of the few movies (along with Heat) that I own the sound track, the DVD, when it came out, the Blu-Ray when it came out, and finally in HD on my Crapple TV. I mean Apple TV. The music, the cinematography, Daniel Day... Yes sir Moose, one of the best!

I'm perturbed that I cannot make it. I have an Alamo thirty minutes from me, oh well.

I hope they record and release Mann's LIVE Q&A!.
That is a shame you can't make it, but me and the wife will make a toast to you with our iced tea, because no way I would have known about this otherwise.
My drive to Lakeline is about an hour from the north.
I will try to find out if they are making this available online somewhere. I'll post back here what I find out. I'm thinking they will, in one way or the other.

austinN4
05-02-17, 07:36
I was going to say; why have a triple when you can have a quadruple and add L.A. Confidential?

Agree, but interestingly it didn't pop into my mind the way TLADILA did. I just didn't think of it at all, maybe because I don't own it, but I'm going to change that. And, yes, a quad!

RobertTheTexan
05-02-17, 08:11
This is like a Best of the Best Crime Dramas .

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-02-17, 08:40
Last of the Mohicans is why we have the word 'epic' in the English language. I never read the book, but I find that when complex books are turned into movies they often lose a lot and seemed rushed. LOTM feels like it was made for the screen. This movie was one of the major drivers to buy HD tvs.

RobertTheTexan
05-02-17, 19:43
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Micheal Mann's opus, Heat is playing in theaters for one night only Tuesday May 2nd with a LIVE Q&A with Mann himself.

I cannot attend the screening as I have a prior engagement but if you have an Alamo Draft House close by here you go.

https://drafthouse.com/event/heat-with-michael-mann-livestream-qa

We are here!!!!!!!! The Q& A in progress - food and drink has been ordered!!
Thanks again Moose and Austin!!!

Dennis
05-03-17, 01:46
I was jealous of you guys seeing it in a theater far away from me, but it got even worse as the main event with a live Michael Mann Q&A was actually accessible to me and my buddy just posted a pic of Michael Mann a few seats away from him in his row! I had no idea...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Moose-Knuckle
05-03-17, 04:31
Last of the Mohicans is why we have the word 'epic' in the English language. I never read the book, but I find that when complex books are turned into movies they often lose a lot and seemed rushed. LOTM feels like it was made for the screen. This movie was one of the major drivers to buy HD tvs.

Mann based his adaptation off the 1936 film, not the James Fenimore Cooper novel.

Moose-Knuckle
05-03-17, 04:33
We are here!!!!!!!! The Q& A in progress - food and drink has been ordered!!
Thanks again Moose and Austin!!!

I was jealous of you guys seeing it in a theater far away from me, but it got even worse as the main event with a live Michael Mann Q&A was actually accessible to me and my buddy just posted a pic of Michael Mann a few seats away from him in his row! I had no idea...

I am Ranger Green with envy!

Moose-Knuckle
05-16-17, 03:22
Micheal Mann hints at working on a Heat prequel novel in new interview . . .

Q: It was recently reported that you’re hired Reed Farrel Coleman to co-write a Heat prequel novel. Can you talk about that project?

A: I can’t really, because it’s kind of under wraps what we’re thinking of doing, and it’s in early stages.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/05/12/michael-mann-heat-4k-bluray/

Slater
05-16-17, 06:44
This movie showcased a lot of hardware:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Heat

The_War_Wagon
05-16-17, 07:07
This movie???? Deserves it's own thread as well. You are correct. This is one of the very best epics IMO. One of the few movies (along with Heat) that I own the sound track, the DVD, when it came out, the Blu-Ray when it came out, and finally in HD on my Crapple TV. I mean Apple TV. The music, the cinematography, Daniel Day... Yes sir Moose, one of the best!

My college wingman was in that movie. :cool: He portrayed a British or French soldier, depending on what they needed in filming that day. The fort was also constructed on Lake James outside Morganton, NC - about 3 miles from his folk's house. He snagged some pretty cool props outta there, before they tore it down. Gotta LOTTA cool stories from the set & filming, but alas, he never met D-Day. Wes Studi though, met and talked with EVERY extra in the cast - awesomely cool in person, and not NEARLY as scary as "Mogwa," his character.

Moose-Knuckle
05-17-17, 01:46
This movie showcased a lot of hardware:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Heat

The firearms in Heat are just as much part of the story as the characters. That movie alone won most gun guys over to Micheal Mann fandom.

My college wingman was in that movie. :cool: He portrayed a British or French soldier, depending on what they needed in filming that day. The fort was also constructed on Lake James outside Morganton, NC - about 3 miles from his folk's house. He snagged some pretty cool props outta there, before they tore it down. Gotta LOTTA cool stories from the set & filming, but alas, he never met D-Day. Wes Studi though, met and talked with EVERY extra in the cast - awesomely cool in person, and not NEARLY as scary as "Mogwa," his character.

That is bad ass!

SteyrAUG
05-17-17, 02:08
The firearms in Heat are just as much part of the story as the characters. That movie alone won must gun guys over to Micheal Mann fandom.

Two movies that kicked my collection into high gear. Owning the guns used in "Die Hard" and owning the guns used in "Heat."

RobertTheTexan
05-17-17, 04:24
Micheal Mann hints at working on a Heat prequel novel in new interview . . .

http://ew.com/movies/2017/05/12/michael-mann-heat-4k-bluray/

I'm going to keep my finger on the pulse of this one. Wow...

RobertTheTexan
05-17-17, 04:48
Two movies that kicked my collection into high gear. Owning the guns used in "Die Hard" and owning the guns used in "Heat."

I'd say that is definitely a collection. The Collection of collections even!
I hadn't gone though this list before. But I do see a couple of firearms that I plan on owning one of the days.