PDA

View Full Version : Rail covers

cathellsk
09-27-08, 19:27
Which do you like and why? I'm coving a DD Omega 7"on a 6920. I only have a Viking Tactics light mount and a LaRue FUG on it.
I'm thinking of going with Magpul XTs on the sides/bottom and ladders on the top.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Fringe
09-27-08, 21:11
I have heard that certain rail covers don't fit on the Omega because of its slim profile, but I could be wrong. I am interst as well. I like the new Magpul kit.

cathellsk
09-27-08, 21:15
I have heard that certain rail covers don't fit on the Omega because of its slim profile, but I could be wrong. I am interst as well. I like the new Magpul kit.

I was not aware of any fit issues with the Omega. If anyone can verify this, please, let me know.

Fringe
09-27-08, 22:37
I am really not sure, but I thought I read something about how the slim profile interfered with the side and top aplications of the covers.
I am sure Stick or someone of similar caliber will chime in.

RD62
09-27-08, 22:43
The Omega comes with ladder panels. I have just been using the ones that came with my two. They work fine, and I have seen no reason to change. They are comfortable and FREE. I have been thinking of painting them though....

-RD62

Fringe
09-27-08, 23:22
The Omega comes with ladder panels. I have just been using the ones that came with my two. They work fine, and I have seen no reason to change. They are comfortable and FREE. I have been thinking of painting them though....

-RD62

Same situation I am in on my Carbine Noveske and Middy BCM. I am not sure I will like the difference from the free ladder style rails. I feel like I get better purchase because of the hard angles / non roundness.

Jeffy
09-27-08, 23:50

Yes, this is an issue with certain panels and accessories. Because the Omega is no square but rather rectangular, you can run into clearance issues. I have a Omega 7.0 and a Vltor Offset Scout Mount and if I mount the light using the side rails, the light ends up sitting pretty close to the upper (if at the 11'oclock) or lower (if at the 6'oclock) rails. This prevents me from using my Magpul XTM's on the empty rail next to the light. If I put the mount on the top or bottom rail, there is no clearance issue. Also, using ladder panels would also solve the problem.

RD62
09-28-08, 13:39
I use a very high grip on my stubby VFG, so I'm not really holding on to the rails. The ladder panels are there more to protect the rails, and to keep me from inadvertently "grating" my hand along it during weapon manipulations.

-RD62

Stickman
09-28-08, 14:41
I was not aware of any fit issues with the Omega. If anyone can verify this, please, let me know.

The KAC panels are a little tight due to the handguard cap, but its more effort taking them off than it is putting them on. No problems with other covers on the Omega rail that I've ever heard of.

Cameron
09-28-08, 16:39
I'm thinking of going with Magpul XTs on the sides/bottom and ladders on the top.

That is how I set up my DD 12" lite rails but used the XTMs

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/camz_pics/Guns/17%20inch/ARsR.jpg

msap
09-28-08, 21:01
+1 on the Magpul XTMs. They are a nice tight fit on the Omega.

A_shizzle
09-28-08, 21:39
I got the XT panels and their nice. I wouldnt worry too much about it though. Just buy what looks good to you and the worst that could happen is that you would only be out about 50bucks if you didnt like them.