PDA

View Full Version : Does the military still use the MILES laser training system?

ABNAK
05-02-17, 18:53
?????????????

If not, what do they currently use for force-on-force training? I'm not talking Simunitions at CQB ranges, but in an NTC-like environment. Maybe Ft. Polk and JRTC ops?

Clarification: us old(er) farts will know what the MILES is, as well as where NTC is at!

soulezoo
05-02-17, 18:57
As an old(er) guy, I recall...

But the first thing that came to my mind was "Heartbreak Ridge"...

Firefly
05-02-17, 19:06
You could always cheat and tap on the end of the rifle thingy.....

or so I am told.......

Dist. Expert 26
05-02-17, 19:32
In my 4 years I never saw it. Maybe the Marine Corps is too broke and the Army still uses it, but I don't know.

We were forced to run around shooting blanks or simply yelling "bang bang". Sims never happened.

Firefly
05-02-17, 19:34
Regardless of who uses it; Simunitions has a habit of deflating egos and silencing smack talk

USMC_Anglico
05-02-17, 19:36
Yes still in use, just a newer version. Used at all the CTC's - NTC, JRTC, JMRC

Turnkey11
05-02-17, 19:41
Last time I was in NTC was 2008, we didn't draw it because most was broken. Used it everytime I went to JRTC pre-GWOT, and during out train ups at Dillingham and Kahuku.

GTF425
05-02-17, 19:46
Yes, and as recently as 2014 I had to Hand Across Polk looking for a ****ing MILES halo some joker didn't tie down.

jpmuscle
05-02-17, 19:57
Regardless of who uses it; Simunitions has a habit of deflating egos and silencing smack talk
You should have seen these shock vests we had going to training. Modular, variable, ability to use modified duty weapons, etc. It was like laser tag but with taser hits.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Firefly
05-02-17, 20:02
Yes, and as recently as 2014 I had to Hand Across Polk looking for a ****ing MILES halo some joker didn't tie down.

I dont mean to laugh at your pain, dawg, but I am sure swearing and death plots abounded that day.

Firefly
05-02-17, 20:02
You should have seen these shock vests we had going to training. Modular, variable, ability to use modified duty weapons, etc. It was like laser tag but with taser hits.

Interesting......

GTF425
05-02-17, 20:12
I dont mean to laugh at your pain, dawg, but I am sure swearing and death plots abounded that day.

The elevation of Fort Polk dropped at least 3 inches from how many pushups he did.

26 Inf
05-02-17, 20:14
I've used both and still believe that the NLTA rounds did a better job of ingraining the elements of training I was looking for. There is the visual reminder that, hey, that was a round on me, he would of had me, that just doesn't transfer with the laser vests.

My beef with MILES was the cheaters and the jackasses with the God Guns.

JMO.

SteyrAUG
05-02-17, 20:31
?????????????

If not, what do they currently use for force-on-force training? I'm not talking Simunitions at CQB ranges, but in an NTC-like environment. Maybe Ft. Polk and JRTC ops?

Clarification: us old(er) farts will know what the MILES is, as well as where NTC is at!

For awhile they were using Tippman Alpha markers, not sure if they still do. Limited range and accuracy but definitely more cost effective than maintaining 40 year old miles gear.

jpmuscle
05-02-17, 20:40
Interesting......
http://stressvest.com/

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-02-17, 20:53
In my 4 years I never saw it. Maybe the Marine Corps is too broke and the Army still uses it, but I don't know.

We were forced to run around shooting blanks or simply yelling "bang bang". Sims never happened.

Yup. Did a month at MWTC Bridgeport yelling "Bang Bang".

usmcvet
05-02-17, 21:27

Yup. Did a month at MWTC Bridgeport yelling "Bang Bang".

Yup lots of Bang. Bang and I got you first. Just like as we did as kids.

Isn't that the truth. Those little rounds hut too.

GTF425
05-02-17, 21:32

I have had many a knuckle split by UTM rounds. As well as broken WML bezels...

That shit builds character.

Wake27
05-02-17, 22:19
We do. I was at JRTC in February, everybody had miles. Our BDE drew miles in 2014 at NTC as well. There is a newer version that is decent, the problem is just when people don't have theirs on. And it's a pain in the ass to carry, but it worked better than I expected after everything I had heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dist. Expert 26
05-02-17, 22:58
Yup lots of Bang. Bang and I got you first. Just like as we did as kids.

Nothing like playing children's games while wearing 50lbs of very real gear in the middle of July to make you feel like a warfighter.

Averageman
05-03-17, 06:18
As a Tanker I wanted some of "Oddball's" paint rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IatwoA00E0
We have our own ammunition, it's filled with paint, when we fire it it makes pretty pictures.

Eurodriver
05-03-17, 06:54
Nothing like playing children's games while wearing 50lbs of very real gear in the middle of July to make you feel like a warfighter.

Fortunately I got to stay back in Hawaii as the RBE while everyone else went to Ft Polk in July. Almost a decade later, I still lay in bed at night occasionally and thank God that I did not have to go to that shit hole.

I also confirm "Bang bang" and the occasional use of blanks for the USMC.

Watrdawg
05-03-17, 07:05
?????????????

You talk about knowing where NTC is at and being older. How about being stationed therein the late 60's!. Nothing but snakes, tarantulas and scorpions! My father was stationed there in 67-68. I was 3-4 yrs old. My mom came outside once and saw me pushing around a scorpion with a stick. She said she freaked and ran back in the house. Left me with the scorpion LOL.

As far as Miles gear is concerned that last time i saw that stuff was in 89 just before I got out.

Grand58742
05-03-17, 07:13
You could always cheat and tap on the end of the rifle thingy.....

or so I am told.......

Or just carry a god key that you snagged.

Turnkey11
05-03-17, 07:25
I've used both and still believe that the NLTA rounds did a better job of ingraining the elements of training I was looking for. There is the visual reminder that, hey, that was a round on me, he would of had me, that just doesn't transfer with the laser vests.

My beef with MILES was the cheaters and the jackasses with the God Guns.

JMO.

I just wish the stuff actually fit properly onto the front sight post and didnt need to be shimmed with the cardboard your blanks came in. Maintaining any type of zero when the cardboard got wet, forget about it.

eodinert
05-03-17, 07:47
Or just carry a god key that you snagged.

...or make a key with an 7.62 blank.

chuckman
05-03-17, 07:59
MILES...another great idea brought to you by the idea fairy:

Here, wear more gear that won't work half the time....

Averageman
05-03-17, 10:12
MILES...another great idea brought to you by the idea fairy:

Here, wear more gear that won't work half the time....

Or they issue you three huge boxes of crap that takes all day to mount on your Tank and only works until you actually traverse the Turret or move the Tank.
My favorite was the "New and Improved" stuff that interacted with your Fire Control System. It interacted all right, those fancy white boxes full of fire control sometimes went "POOF !"
I would like to have the money that cost us.

Steal a key, shave off the nub with your Leatherman's file and you're unbeatable, just as OPFOR.

Wake27
05-03-17, 13:31
Can't speak for the tank stuff, but the newer system really is pretty decent. I don't think I ever lost zero and I smacked it on my hmmwv a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
05-03-17, 13:36
Can't speak for the tank stuff, but the newer system really is pretty decent. I don't think I ever lost zero and I smacked it on my hmmwv a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did it survive the "crushening"

Averageman
05-03-17, 15:26
Did it survive the "crushening"

They gave us a Through Sight Video system one time, like 300K worth of optics and electronics to test.
It got crushened alright, my Gunner was sitting there holding about six pieces of what was left of it. I think he thought he was going to have to "Statement of Charges" that damned thing for the next fifteen years. He actually looked like he might shed a tear.
They can't really hold you responsible for the equipment used in testing.
He was very relieved to find out he wouldn't be mortgaging the house to pay for some fancy optics that were rather fragile.

Firefly
05-03-17, 15:46
I think he was referring to when Wake got crushed by a hummer last month or so and only his SAPI plate saved

Dist. Expert 26
05-03-17, 17:35
Fortunately I got to stay back in Hawaii as the RBE while everyone else went to Ft Polk in July. Almost a decade later, I still lay in bed at night occasionally and thank God that I did not have to go to that shit hole.

I also confirm "Bang bang" and the occasional use of blanks for the USMC.

I skated out of CAX a few months before I got out. My buddies that got sent out there to road guard for a month were livid with jealously. I'm told 29 Palms is a pretty miserable place.