PDA

View Full Version : Who's Built the Lightest AR, and How'd You Do It?

PattonWasRight
05-03-17, 07:50
I'm getting the "build bug" and would like to "go light." Interested in seeing how others have done so. Thx.

fledge
05-03-17, 07:53
If you want it to look and function like a normal ar, start with a 2A Arms Balios Gen 2 set. Add a Faxon pencil barrel. The rest is negligible, but VSeven small parts if you want to shave all you can. 5lbs is a respectable goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tehpwnag3
05-03-17, 09:15
When you buy stuff, look at the weight of the item and compare it to other items. You can find weights for just about anything online (people weigh stuff). Pencil barrels are where you are going to get the most savings.

Strong, light, cheap -- pick any two.

cdclpc
05-03-17, 11:03
The DDM4V11 SLW is 6.09 lbs in factory form. I'm sure there could be some more weight savings found if that is the ultimate goal. I will say that my SLW handles extremely well and makes my other AR feel like an anchor

Eurodriver
05-03-17, 12:02
Shortening the barrel to 10.5" really helps.

Press Check
05-03-17, 12:22
I have a 6721 that weighs a smidgeon under 5lbs and still retains a full mass Colt BCG, carbine buffer system, etc. Replaced the handguard and FSB with a magnesium KMR9, Ti barrel nut, added a Ti gas block, Ti birdcage FH, Colt CAR stock, and replaced most of the non-critical small parts with V7 counterparts.

MeanCarbine
05-03-17, 12:26
If you want it to look and function like a normal ar, start with a 2A Arms Balios Gen 2 set. Add a Faxon pencil barrel. The rest is negligible, but VSeven small parts if you want to shave all you can. 5lbs is a respectable goal.

This. Mine ended up at 4lbs 12oz.

Voodoo_Man
05-03-17, 12:37
Lightest? Like no money limit lightest?

Proof C/F Barrel
MI Ultralight MLOK rail
TI everything that is available
Minimalist stock (preferably in Ti)
Lightest RDS

PattonWasRight
05-03-17, 13:41
Thanks for the input. I'll start looking these components up.

Press Check
05-03-17, 13:47
Nothing remotely light about a Proof barrel...

eodinert
05-03-17, 15:39
I built a light weight. It's 4 lbs, 7 ounces with a red dot and back up irons. When I have time, I'll throw more money at it and make it lighter.

It's only used for gun games (two gun matches) and dirt shooting, but I built it with reliability in mind (no plastic receivers or trigger bits)... but the aluminum Bolt Carrier pretty much means it's only good for entertainment.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6794/20170108-141536-copy-small-193391.JPG

Ned Christiansen
05-03-17, 15:45
I built a light weight. It's 4 lbs, 7 ounces with a red dot and back up irons.

That has got to be a record. I felt lucky to break 6 pounds. That was with no optic, and I feel some more important things were traded away for the light weight. I think it will be in the June edition of SWAT Magazine.

eodinert
05-03-17, 15:54
I've seen lighter rifles, but I didn't weigh mine without the sights, so it's hard to compare. Also, the easiest way to loose weight is to SBR it, so when you start talking 'lightest rifle', it's better to compare (I think) title I to title I, and title II to title II.

I forgot to add, there is a crowd sourced parts weight spreadsheet that makes it easy to pick the parts for your build (and an accompanying thread on arf). It is reminiscent of the 'Tactical Yellow Visor' parts weight spreadsheet, but it's up to date and has a lot more stuff on it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I6Qb6kAJjChEJ56qhznv2291c5UHRDyNXuSXGObumqM/edit#gid=102399689

PattonWasRight
05-03-17, 16:09
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I6Qb6kAJjChEJ56qhznv2291c5UHRDyNXuSXGObumqM/edit#gid=102399689 Awesome resource, worth its own sticky. Thanks for posting.

Rayrevolver
05-03-17, 16:57
I have a few of these. If you use the Vltor A5 the LOP might be ok... Pretty light though!

http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/bad-lbs-mil-lightweight-butt-stock-for-milspec-receiver-extension

Plasman
05-03-17, 19:47
I built a light weight. It's 4 lbs, 7 ounces with a red dot and back up irons. When I have time, I'll throw more money at it and make it lighter.

It's only used for gun games (two gun matches) and dirt shooting, but I built it with reliability in mind (no plastic receivers or trigger bits)... but the aluminum Bolt Carrier pretty much means it's only good for entertainment.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6794/20170108-141536-copy-small-193391.JPG

Ya got me beat by 1oz.

Here's how I did mine:
-Robar/KSP PolymAR upper/lower
-Faxon 16", midlength, pencil barrel
-BCM KMR13 (AlMg alloy)
-BAD Ti gas block
-V7 Ti micro brake
-2A Armament RBC
-V7 lightweight lower parts
-MFT BUIS
-Holosun micro style sight
-Taccom ultra lightweight buffer (also used empty CAR buffer)
-Rogers super stoc spartan

fledge
05-04-17, 00:23
I believe the lightest manufactured AR is this one at under 4lbs. But I think it's weird.

https://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/oip-rifle

eodinert
05-04-17, 06:34
There is a title I rifle in the Arf thread at 3.5 lbs.

FaxonNathan
05-04-17, 06:57
Shortening the barrel to 10.5" really helps.

We just released our 10.5" pencil barrels. Sub 1 lbs!

Ya got me beat by 1oz.

Here's how I did mine:
-Robar/KSP PolymAR upper/lower
-Faxon 16", midlength, pencil barrel
-BCM KMR13 (AlMg alloy)
-BAD Ti gas block
-V7 Ti micro brake
-2A Armament RBC
-V7 lightweight lower parts
-MFT BUIS
-Holosun micro style sight
-Taccom ultra lightweight buffer (also used empty CAR buffer)
-Rogers super stoc spartan

We approve. ;)

Kdubya
05-04-17, 18:51
As others stated, there are some pretty extensive threads elsewhere devoted to lightweight builds. Some are pretty darn impressive, as they appear to not have sacrificed reliability or durability. Others are awfully low in terms of weight, getting close to the 3lb mark, but are clearly built for that alone.

Someone mentioned the one DD model coming in pretty light. I've been looking at commercial offerings that are easy on the scales, and have been kind of stuck on the Bushmaster Minimalist SD. It comes in at 6lbs with a FA carrier, suppressor ready FH, 13" keymod, and mil-spec RE. Not sure if the buffer is standard or H. They seem to have saved weight with the barrel profile and MFT stock. I'm also thinking the handguard is probably on the lighter side. 6lbs isn't necessarily a modern feat of engineering, but it's respectable for a stock rifle with an upgraded, full length, handguard.

The funny thing is that when I looked at their catalogue, the QRC line actually comes in at around 1lb less; 5.18lbs. Specs are mostly identical, but it loses the rail and FH in favor of standard components. So, if one planned to ditch the standard handguards, the 5lbs probably jumps up closer to the Minimalist SD weight range.

Still, for an out of the box mass-produced rifle, with decent components, ending up around 5lbs is pretty good. Just weighed my 10.5" pistol. Holosun RDS, 10" KM rail, FA BCG, and a shockwave brace. Unloaded, it's 5.2 lbs. For me, that perspective just put the QRC in the possible running for a factory 16" lightweight option.

Anyone else have suggestions for reasonably priced factory lightweight options I should look at? Like 1k or under?

mooseman
05-22-17, 05:55
I don't remember the exact weight but it was definitely the lightest I've had. Felt like air compared to every other AR I've held. The Stock and original KMR sealed the deal, IIRC it weighs less than the standard polymer hand guards! I wish BCM still produced them/more often than the occasional limited run.

BCM Lower
- Gunfighter Stock/Grip/Trigger Guard

BCM BFH 14.5" LW Mid-Length Upper
- Pinned BCM Comp
- KMR-9 (the original one)
- V7 Barrel Nut
- BCM marked Troy Folding Rear Sight