PDA

View Full Version : Loose Rear Sights on my Glock 19 and 26

RobertTheTexan
05-03-17, 08:46
Hmm.. I did not see a "Technical Discussion thread" for handguns, so I'll post here and hope some of our armorers and experts can provide some advice to me. TIA!

I noticed yesterday at the indoor range that I went to during lunch, that the Trijicon rear sight on my G19 was off center to the right by a good bit. I had a gunsmith from the indoor range take a look and use his tool to realign it. He commented that it was loose. I also checked my carry gun and it was the same way, but not nearly as bad as my 19. He realigned that rear sight on my carry, and commented that it was also very loose, that he could use the sight installer with his fingers, he didn't have to crank down on them to get them to move. So both rear sights could be adjusted with the sight installer with little effort. He said his sight installer is a highly rated universal sight installer tool from Brownell's. My 19 as mentioned as a Trijicon front and rear, My 26 has the original OEM rear sight. It was slightly out of alignment but also very easy to adjust. Too easy the smith said to me. I should have snapped a couple of pics, but I didn't. My G19 sight was about 3/16ths of an inch off The G26 about an 1/8th of an inch.

Pistol background:
G19 - Picked in a trade when it was about 8 months old. It came with Trijicon night sights installed. The slide has been cerakoted, so I'm thinking that's the last time the sights would have been removed and reinstalled.
I know the cerakoter, and to my knowledge he has the right tools to remove/reinstall sights. I will try to confirm.
G26 - Purchased at an LGS in Cove, outside of Ft. Hood. The owner is got extremely sick and closed the doors, so I can't go back to him. It has an OEM rear sight, iridium front sight.

The gunsmith told me of two methods he's seen YouTube users trying. One was to put divots in the bottom of the dovetail. he recommended against this. The other was taking hammer and tapping the top of the slide in an attempt to tighten up or close up the dovetail, but he said that was also risky in that you could close it up too much and didn't recommend either method. He really didn't give me other options. So here I am, at the "Online Encyclopedia of Gun Knowledge of Soldiers, Veterans, LEO's and Civilian Shooters".

Any recommendations of a course of action? I would prefer not have to replace the Trijicon sight because they aren't that old. But why my Glock OEM sight is 'loose' is beyond me. Should I contact Glock?

Any advice or help is appreciated. RTT

HeruMew
05-03-17, 08:56
Defenitely contact glock about the oem sight, they should be able to help with that one.

As for the aftermarket, that one is something I don't have a lot of knowledge about. I would ask glock about that one too when you contact them. Maybe they do warranty the slide if its out of spec, regardless of what sights are on there.

I just don't know. I can say that if they're easy enough to hand tighten in, that's bad. I could probably tap.my rear sight on my 26 with a hammer and it still wouldn't move.

I just don't know how two of your glocks rear sights are bunko... Maybe your holster puts pressure on them? I dunno.

Nonetheless, I wish you easy resolve in your endeavor. Hopefully Glock can clarify as to why it is happening.

556BlackRifle
05-03-17, 09:56
I've seen this before. Sounds like someone may have done some filing on the bottom of the sights prior to installation. Loctite may work but it's only a bandaid. You may have to get some new sights, at the very least, I would for your carry piece. Good luck.....

RobertTheTexan
05-03-17, 10:03
I've seen this before. Sounds like someone may have done some filing on the bottom of the sights prior to installation. Loctite may work but it's only a bandaid. You may have to get some new sights, at the very least, I would for your carry piece. Good luck.....

This is wha my armorer said happens when guys a) don't know what they are doing.
b) don't have the right tools (IG's plug) or
c) both of the above.

Thanks 556

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe R.
05-03-17, 10:25
This is why rear sights should have set screws.

Press fitting works fine. Till it doesn't.

GNXII
05-03-17, 11:00
Hard to guess with the aftermarket install but sounds like they filed sight base a bit before install. Maybe it was to tight to fit after the Cerrakote even though itfit fine beforehand. Perhaps after further curing the cerrakote shrank a bit more thus a loose rear sight. In regards to the G26, if its a factory new gun with a factory sight install, then back to Glock inc. it goes!

RobertTheTexan
05-03-17, 11:29
Hard to guess with the aftermarket install but sounds like they filed sight base a bit before install. Maybe it was to tight to fit after the Cerrakote even though itfit fine beforehand. Perhaps after further curing the cerrakote shrank a bit more thus a loose rear sight. In regards to the G26, if its a factory new gun with a factory sight install, then back to Glock inc. it goes!

I will reach out to Glock. Now that I think about it (That's a dangerous activity) I remember during some Black Friday or Veterans' Day sale, I picked up a set of Ameriglo sights for my 26, but never installed them. I'll go back to my range armorer and ask him to install them for me. Hopefully that will get my 19 GTG, and I'll reach out to Glock Inc. on my 26. I'll just switch holsters and carry my 19 until I figure out the scoop on Jr. The 19 conceals fairly well..

Thanks GNX

RobertTheTexan
05-03-17, 14:16

I hadn't heard of Glock having this problem before, but it does seem kind of common sense that putting a couple flush set screws would secure it better. But I don't build pistols, just AR's so it's not my AO.
Maybe that's part of Glock keeping the KISS principle that makes guys like me appreciate the Glock. That and keeping manufacturing cost down...But who knows?

PattonWasRight
05-03-17, 15:25
As an option, you could peen the mating surface of the sight. Would take a small punch on the edge to distort the metal ever so slightly.

L-2
05-03-17, 15:54
I'll hope for the best which means I hope both of your slides are OK and haven't been filed upon.
The G26, if it had a rear polymer sight and untouched slide should be ok with a new rear sight. The stock rear polymer sight can sometimes be almost pushed into place with strong finger pressure. The final fraction to center usually needs a sight pusher tool. Some folks get buy using a non-marring punch, but a polymer sight is easily dented when using a punch.

Glock polymer sights are replaced so often I suspect there would be some shops or people willing to give you their old ones for free, otherwise you might use this opportunity to "upgrade" your sights, at least the rear. Glock has a steel version (6.5mm is the stock height measured from the bottom of the dovetail, not the top of the slide) for ~$22:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/216871/glock-square-rear-sight-65mm-256-height-steel-black-white-outline

For aftermarket brands, it can get a bit more complicated with some brands offering sets which might have different height front and rear sights compared to the stock heights.

With two Glocks, you might consider getting the tools to change both the front and rear sights, the tools being another subject.

I'd

26 Inf
05-03-17, 16:00
Have the sights moved since the range guy adjusted them? (get a fine pencil or paint marker and mark the sight to slide interface)

Depending on how finely the threads mesh on the sight turner, turning effort may not be the best indicator. Think tightening down on something with a Bessey C-Clamp versus a Harbor Freight C-Clamp, the HF takes more effort.

My first impulse is to have you use loctite and see if the sight moves. This means removal, degrease, apply, reinstall centered and hope it's on. Of course if you have it zeroed just mark the slide and then reinstall with the loctite.

If that doesn't work and you are feeling Red-Greenish, get an 8-32 x 1/8 socket head cap screw, an 8-32 tap, a #29 drill bit (good hardware store or McMaster-Carr) and then drill and tap. I chose 8-32 because some of the dead Clock night sights in my junk box have a hollow under the base. I figured that an 8-32 will center on the flat notch of the sight and still leave enough material around the edges on the flat. Additionally, if you center the hole their should be some threads cut on each side of the hollow. 1/8 because a 3/16 is too long. Make the Tim Taylor (Home Improvement) grunting noise as you do this.

I'd go with the drill and tap option because I like making the grunting sound, but that's just me.

RobertTheTexan
05-03-17, 16:21
Have the sights moved since the range guy adjusted them? (get a fine pencil or paint marker and mark the sight to slide interface)
Done. I haven't gone anywhere but I have an ultra fine sharpie and marked it.

If that doesn't work and you are feeling Red-Greenish, get an 8-32 x 1/8 socket head cap screw, an 8-32 tap, a #29 drill bit (good hardware store or McMaster-Carr) and then drill and tap. I chose 8-32 because some of the dead Clock night sights in my junk box have a hollow under the base. I figured that an 8-32 will center on the flat notch of the sight and still leave enough material around the edges on the flat. Additionally, if you center the hole their should be some threads cut on each side of the hollow. 1/8 because a 3/16 is too long.
It was at the end of this paragraphs first sentence that I was already thinking: "Better idea! Mail slide(s) to 26 Inf!" I never even got to the grunting part. I was grunting just thinking about this...
Make the Tim Taylor (Home Improvement) grunting noise as you do this.

I'd go with the drill and tap option because I like making the grunting sound, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

See you make grunting noises. I would end up making far worse noises than that and the spend my first hour in church on Sunday repentin' for all the cuss words I invented when I invariably would have tapped a whole lot more than I was supposed to tap and drilled a whole lot deeper than I was supposed to drill.

"Dammit Jim!! I'm an AR Builder! Not a Factory Authorized Glock Armorer!" (In my best Bones interpretation.)

26 Inf
05-03-17, 16:45
See you make grunting noises. I would end up making far worse noises than that and the spend my first hour in church on Sunday repentin' for all the cuss words I invented when I invariably would have tapped a whole lot more than I was supposed to tap and drilled a whole lot deeper than I was supposed to drill.

"Dammit Jim!! I'm an AR Builder! Not a Factory Authorized Glock Armorer!" (In my best Bones interpretation.)

Okay, I forgot - drill and tap with the sight OFF the slide.

first hour in church on Sunday repentin' for all the cuss words I invented

You need to find one of those denominations where the whole congregation starts acting like they got crotch crickets after the first 45 minutes.

sierra 223
05-03-17, 17:47
It happens that sometimes a dovetail is slightly out of spec. but more often aftermarket sights are slightly out of spec. My old Mepro sights for G17 had to be peened slightly for a tighter fit. My Trijicon HD,s that replaced Mepro fit fine.

If done right it is pretty easy fix.

RobertTheTexan
05-03-17, 18:29
It happens that sometimes a dovetail is slightly out of spec. but more often aftermarket sights are slightly out of spec. My old Mepro sights for G17 had to be peened slightly for a tighter fit. My Trijicon HD,s that replaced Mepro fit fine.

If done right it is pretty easy fix.

Don't tell me.... Youtube video? lol I'm trying to stay away from that, and whatever fix I do - be it through my wallet or my shop, I want it to be as permanent as possible.

Thanks and if you have some more info on that option I'd appreciate it.

sierra 223
05-03-17, 19:56
My Meprolights could be moved by thumb pressure or overtime shooting and carrying daily would move them. One of our armorer,s removed them and with a punch and hammer made small peen on bottom edge of sight. This was just enough to slightly deform sight at base for a tight fit and was a permanent fix and was not visible when placed back in dovetail. I would feel perfectly comfortable doing it myself if had to after watching him.

The bottom of the sights were hollow, so it was very easy to make the slight peen. The only reason I felt the need for the HD,s was 50 year old eyes that work better with the bright orange front sight.

I would not mess with the slide, if you messed up a rear sight it wouldnt be that big of a deal. Dont risk screwing up the slide.

ST911
05-03-17, 20:32
As an option, you could peen the mating surface of the sight. Would take a small punch on the edge to distort the metal ever so slightly.

My Meprolights could be moved by thumb pressure or overtime shooting and carrying daily would move them. One of our armorer,s removed them and with a punch and hammer made small peen on bottom edge of sight. This was just enough to slightly deform sight at base for a tight fit and was a permanent fix and was not visible when placed back in dovetail. I would feel perfectly comfortable doing it myself if had to after watching him.

The bottom of the sights were hollow, so it was very easy to make the slight peen. The only reason I felt the need for the HD,s was 50 year old eyes that work better with the bright orange front sight.

I would not mess with the slide, if you messed up a rear sight it wouldnt be that big of a deal. Dont risk screwing up the slide.

What these guys said, and the problem can be normal tolerance stacking. If the sight is loose in the dovetail, either deal with the sight manufacturer or peen the bottom edge to tighten the fit. Do not alter the slide.

MSparks909
05-03-17, 21:08
I installed a set of Trijicon HDs on my P226 a few weeks ago and I could slide the Trijicon rear sight into the dovetail by hand. Thumb pressure could drift it all the way through the dovetail. I was going to peen the bottom of the sight, but the underside is hollow. So I stuck the rear sight into a vice and pinched it width wise just enough to get about 1/3 into the dovetail before I used my sight pusher.

Jaws of vice: [ ]
Rear sight: =

I squeezed it this way:

[ = ]

Didn't take much to bend the dovetail enough to tighten up the fit. Don't squeeze the whole sight; just the dovetail base that fits in the slide. Good luck.

RobertTheTexan
05-03-17, 23:20
What these guys said, and the problem can be normal tolerance stacking. If the sight is loose in the dovetail, either deal with the sight manufacturer or peen the bottom edge to tighten the fit. Do not alter the slide.

Roger that. I'll leave the slide alone and try one of these methods with the 19's rear sight. think I'll just swap out 26's sight as I planned on doing that anyway.

I installed a set of Trijicon HDs on my P226 a few weeks ago and I could slide the Trijicon rear sight into the dovetail by hand. Thumb pressure could drift it all the way through the dovetail. I was going to peen the bottom of the sight, but the underside is hollow. So I stuck the rear sight into a vice and pinched it width wise just enough to get about 1/3 into the dovetail before I used my sight pusher.

Jaws of vice: [ ]
Rear sight: =

I squeezed it this way:

[ = ]

Didn't take much to bend the dovetail enough to tighten up the fit. Don't squeeze the whole sight; just the dovetail base that fits in the slide. Good luck.

This was the most creative use of text to describe a workaround I've seen on a forum.
It made perfect sense. I appreciate it!

elephantrider
05-04-17, 01:17
IMO, before drilling or tapping anything, try and figure out if the issue is with the slides or the sights. Remove the rear sight(s) and inspect to see if they were sanded or ground down. If that yields no answer, try inserting a new rear sight into the slide. Ameriglo sells some inexpensive rears sights, and everyone that I have tried barely slid in at all before either a hammer, or a sight pusher was required to move it. If one of those slides in most of the way, then the issue is your slide dovetail. I have never encountered a sight that was loose in the slide, but I've only tried Ameriglo, Meprolight, 10-8, and WotG. Those all required a pusher to get any progress at all into the slide. I have sight pushers for both flat and angled sided rear sights if you need some help in getting this sorted out.

Cuda
05-04-17, 17:14

+1 to this Set Screw is a must.

RobertTheTexan
05-04-17, 21:32
Elephant,

I was set to replace my rear sight with the Ameriglo's until I unpacked them from the package. They are the "I" Pro sights. I've never used "I" sights before and not sure I want to relearn my brain to use those especially since it violates my "Rule of Commonality". I guess like anything efficiency can be acquired. I really thought they were standard sights. I may check my order from Primary Arms when u get home.
I'm going to guess hat it's probably not wise to use a punch to get the sight out?
I probably have some polymer tool I could use rather than my Starrett punch.

jbqj

IMO, before drilling or tapping anything, try and figure out if the issue is with the slides or the sights. Remove the rear sight(s) and inspect to see if they were sanded or ground down. If that yields no answer, try inserting a new rear sight into the slide. Ameriglo sells some inexpensive rears sights, and everyone that I have tried barely slid in at all before either a hammer, or a sight pusher was required to move it. If one of those slides in most of the way, then the issue is your slide dovetail. I have never encountered a sight that was loose in the slide, but I've only tried Ameriglo, Meprolight, 10-8, and WotG. Those all required a pusher to get any progress at all into the slide. I have sight pushers for both flat and angled sided rear sights if you need some help in getting this sorted out.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170505/430e9dab2cdc5053b9d18898c26d508b.jpg

Jwknutson17
05-04-17, 22:27
Elephant,

I was set to replace my rear sight with the Ameriglo's until I unpacked them from the package. They are the "I" Pro sights. I've never used "I" sights before and not sure I want to relearn my brain to use those especially since it violates my "Rule of Commonality". I guess like anything efficiency can be acquired. I really thought they were standard sights. I may check my order from Primary Arms when u get home.
I'm going to guess hat it's probably not wise to use a punch to get the sight out?

jbqj

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170505/430e9dab2cdc5053b9d18898c26d508b.jpg

Those I dot pros are really nice. Use them on every pistol I own. I would use a sight press instead of a punch.

RobertTheTexan
05-04-17, 23:26
Those I dot pros are really nice. Use them on every pistol I own. I would use a sight press instead of a punch.

The armorer at the indoor range has a sight press. I'll go up this weekend and ask him to install it. I can always get a standard rear sight if I don't like it. If I do then I'll install them in my 26 so they are the same.

elephantrider
05-05-17, 00:42
Elephant,

Generally, yes, you are correct, you don't want to use a steel punch, but it can be done. Since your existing sights are 'loose' it may be worth a try to get one out and see if the Ameriglo is a tight fit on your slide for troubleshooting purposes. Use a couple layers of blue tape on the side of the sight and be careful not to hit the slide dovetail. You'll need a vice, preferably with soft jaws, or padded, to hold the slide if you try it. I assume your punch is a smooth, flat face, not a pin punch? I have some delrin plastic punches that are non-marring for this sort of thing. If you decide to wait for the gunsmith, be sure to ask him to let you see the fit of the Ameriglo in the slide. It should just barely start into the dovetail.

Tigereye
05-05-17, 06:25
I have OEM sights for a 34 and 19 if you want them. I'll be glad to send them to you.

RobertTheTexan
05-05-17, 07:38
I have OEM sights for a 34 and 19 if you want them. I'll be glad to send them to you.

Thanks for the offer Tiger. I'm going to see where these Ameriglo's take me. I'm hoping the sight was filed down during the Cerakote process and a new rear sight will get it squared up. If this doesn't work I may be giving you a shout.

ST911
05-05-17, 08:34
I was set to replace my rear sight with the Ameriglo's until I unpacked them from the package. They are the "I" Pro sights. I've never used "I" sights before and not sure I want to relearn my brain to use those especially since it violates my "Rule of Commonality". I guess like anything efficiency can be acquired.

I like the I-Dots, and have put them on dozens of guns.

1_click_off
05-05-17, 20:09
I have the I dots and hate them. They are great sights, but the rear is sharp as hell. I have been trying to decide if I should try to drop 20-30lbs or go buy a file and re profile them.

Think the file will win out.....

They are great sights, just sharp.

RobertTheTexan
05-08-17, 17:32
I have the I dots and hate them. They are great sights, but the rear is sharp as hell. I have been trying to decide if I should try to drop 20-30lbs or go buy a file and re profile them.

Think the file will win out.....

They are great sights, just sharp.

It took me about two re-reads before I made the connection between sharp rear sight and dropping 20-30 lbs. I was thinking sharp as in looking at them and was trying to figure that out how your eyesight was related to weight loss. LOLOL. Geez... I got no sense sometimes! HA!!!

556BlackRifle
05-08-17, 20:00
It took me about two re-reads before I made the connection between sharp rear sight and dropping 20-30 lbs. I was thinking sharp as in looking at them and was trying to figure that out how your eyesight was related to weight loss. LOLOL. Geez... I got no sense sometimes! HA!!!

Not only about love handles. Sharp sights have been known to ruin a good cover garment / shirt too.

ucrt
05-08-17, 20:30
Just wondering, couldn't a shim be cut to fit underneath the sight to cause it to mate with the dovetail again. Increase thickness until it is tight.
Height will increase but shorter front sight is cheaper that a rear one.

INMY01TA
05-08-17, 20:45
When I changed the sights on both my Glocks the rear sights were both pretty loose and easy to get out. So much so I was surprised they don't come loose just shooting them. It sounds to me like maybe someone installed sights manufactured for another gun maybe?? If it were me I'd just buy new sights and install them so I know it was done correctly.

SDSwoll
05-10-17, 19:17
Not only about love handles. Sharp sights have been known to ruin a good cover garment / shirt too.

Had to take a needle file to the edges of a set of Trijicon HDs because of this, just enough to break the edge.