PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Iphone in the pool :(

WillBrink
05-03-17, 16:32
Dropped my new IPhone6+ in the pool. First time I have ever dropped a phone into water, such as the common toilet drop. Besides the un cooked rice in a zip lock thing, any tricks I can try? Vids I watched suggested they are surprisingly water resistant, but mine was dead when I pulled it out the water. Now I'm off the grid and my phone, Whatsapp, etc, etc no workie and Tarzan sad.

I may use my old 5s to at least get me back out of the stone age comms black out I'm in, but I'm REALLY hoping the 6+ dries out.

Firefly
05-03-17, 16:36
lol butterfingers

I know this chick who has one of them water things for her ipad.

https://www.amazon.com/OverBoard-Waterproof-iPad-Case-Black/dp/B004TG67YY

MegademiC
05-03-17, 16:53
Take it apart (there's a key you can get for pretty cheap iirc, or make). Don't charge or try to turn it on for 2 or 3 weeks. Keep it in the sun and let it dry out.

Roll up paper towels into thin pieces and stick them in every hole until they come out dry (yeah!).

Clint
05-03-17, 16:55
This service can fix you up.

They have some pretty cool technology that actually WORKS!

https://www.tekdry.com/find-a-store/

They are also at select Staples stores.

Don't delay; time is critical.

Firefly
05-03-17, 17:35
Blowdryer?

Worked on my Gameboy that fell in a creek back in the day

Ryno12
05-03-17, 17:53
I don't know how to take apart a 6+ but I've disassembled my 5s when it got wet once. I assume the 6 is similar. I left it apart & blew dry all the parts. The LCD was a little funky for a day or so but it came around.

SteyrAUG
05-03-17, 18:00
If you get it working, buy a waterproof case for it.

Lots of water opportunities in Florida.

Ryno12
05-03-17, 18:09
If you don't get it going, buy a 7. [emoji6]

Honu
05-03-17, 18:12
inside a bag of rice ?

MistWolf
05-03-17, 20:17
Rinse it with isopropyl alcohol. Not methanol alcohol. Make sure it's 99.9% pure. The alcohol will break down the surface tension of the water so it will evaporate faster and more thoroughly. Then stick it in with dry rice or silica crystals

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-03-17, 21:31
Put it in some rice, or teach it to swim.

Waylander
05-03-17, 21:38
If you don't feel adventurous enough to take it apart and want a fast fix then this.

This service can fix you up.

They have some pretty cool technology that actually WORKS!

https://www.tekdry.com/find-a-store/

They are also at select Staples stores.

Don't delay; time is critical.
If you're OK with a little tinkering then this. Just be careful with the blow dryer heat or you may fry something.

I don't know how to take apart a 6+ but I've disassembled my 5s when it got wet once. I assume the 6 is similar. I left it apart & blew dry all the parts. The LCD was a little funky for a day or so but it came around.

The 99% isopropyl alcohol soak will probably work but I've had good luck buying a small can of denatured alcohol at Lowe's or a hardware store. Take the phone apart as much as you're comfortable with, or not at all is fine, and let it soak fully submersed for at least several hours if not up to a day. Then let it sit for a day or two by a warm laptop cooling fan/vent or in part sun but not too hot.

The key is not to rush it to give the alcohol time to penetrate and give it time to dry without overheating it.

Korgs130
05-03-17, 21:52
Rinse it with isopropyl alcohol. Not methanol alcohol. Make sure it's 99.9% pure. The alcohol will break down the surface tension of the water so it will evaporate faster and more thoroughly. Then stick it in with dry rice or silica crystals

This worked like a champ for my iPhone about 3 years ago. It did take several however.

MegademiC
05-03-17, 22:15

I'm going to suggest this on top of what I said, if the water had chemicals in it. The chlorides will destroy your phone.

What kills phones is 1, powering up and frying shorted parts

Or 2, corrosion. Keep the phone off and ipa rise will eliminate both. I've revived a few phones like this (haven't used IPA yet).

MegademiC
05-03-17, 22:16
Double tap

Scrubber3
05-04-17, 07:26
IF you have a dryer with the shoe rack (to dry shoes on without it tumbling), dry it on low for about an hour or two. Place the phone in a sealed container with a bunch of rice (the more the better but obviously depends on the size of the container). Place in the sun for a day. Don't try to turn it on for at least 36 hours. I would wait 48 hours or more if you could though.

If that doesn't work and you have AT&T, go get the S7 active or the S8 active if out yet. I can attest to their ability to withstand water and drops. I use it in the shower and have dropped it in a sink full of water before. I just pulled it out and kept watching youtube (though the sound wasn't all there until I shook the water out of the speaker) While at SHOT show this year, I was talking with my brother while in the bathroom of my hotel room. I dropped it 6 ft straight down on it's corner directly on a marble floor. It left a very tiny scuff where it hit but that was it. I picked it up and continued my conversation. I will always own the active series of galaxy phones now. I used to prefer the Iphone for it's simplicity and longevity, but since having this S7 active... not so much. If I am not mistaken, the new Iphone is water resistant... Couple that with a good case and you should be good to go if you prefer IOS to android.

wildcard600
05-04-17, 19:34
IF you have a dryer with the shoe rack (to dry shoes on without it tumbling), dry it on low for about an hour or two. Place the phone in a sealed container with a bunch of rice (the more the better but obviously depends on the size of the container). Place in the sun for a day. Don't try to turn it on for at least 36 hours. I would wait 48 hours or more if you could though.

If that doesn't work and you have AT&T, go get the S7 active or the S8 active if out yet. I can attest to their ability to withstand water and drops. I use it in the shower and have dropped it in a sink full of water before. I just pulled it out and kept watching youtube (though the sound wasn't all there until I shook the water out of the speaker) While at SHOT show this year, I was talking with my brother while in the bathroom of my hotel room. I dropped it 6 ft straight down on it's corner directly on a marble floor. It left a very tiny scuff where it hit but that was it. I picked it up and continued my conversation. I will always own the active series of galaxy phones now. I used to prefer the Iphone for it's simplicity and longevity, but since having this S7 active... not so much. If I am not mistaken, the new Iphone is water resistant... Couple that with a good case and you should be good to go if you prefer IOS to android.

Love my S7 active. Pre-ruggedized in a tough two piece case makes for a damn tough phone.

MegademiC
05-04-17, 22:05
I have the s5active. I killed it twice, and it came back both times after a couple weeks.

WillBrink
05-05-17, 07:05
Two days in rice and cilica packs and dead. The screen had gone dark when I yanked it from the pool, so I probably shorted it out. Seen vids of the 6 in water up to 30 mins and worked. Mine was in a pelican case. Not water rated, but does have rubber gaskets and such, so should have been able to delay water a bit. Crap.

Ryno12
05-05-17, 07:21
Could be toast but honestly, I'd disassemble it to ensure everything was dry before attempting to power it up. I think it'd take more than just two days to dry out unopened with only rice & silica packs.

WillBrink
05-05-17, 09:29
Could be toast but honestly, I'd disassemble it to ensure everything was dry before attempting to power it up. I think it'd take more than just two days to dry out unopened with only rice & silica packs.

I'm gonna try a 30 min soak in 99% isopropyl . That seems to be another trick some say worked for them. I put old sim card in my 5S so not without comms at least, so I can try some stuff before giving up totally.

Scrubber3
05-05-17, 09:51
I'm gonna try a 30 min soak in 99% isopropyl . That seems to be another trick some say worked for them. I put old sim card in my 5S so not without comms at least, so I can try some stuff before giving up totally.

Good luck to you sir

Hmac
05-05-17, 09:57
Good luck Will, but I'm betting "toast".

I'm very hard on my iPhones and don't use a protective case. Instead, I buy a pretty comprehensive all-risk insurance policy. Over the last 5 years, I am ahead overall.

Waylander
05-05-17, 12:36
Yep.

The alcohol soak is worth a shot. I would strongly recommend 100% denatured alcohol. You can pick up a small can at Lowe's. 99% isopropyl still has water in it.

I would recommend any disassembly you're comfortable with and even then it's going to take more than a 30 minute soak for the alcohol to penetrate deep down and push out all the water.

Also try not to ever shake the phone or water will migrate further in.

cbx
05-05-17, 21:06
Get a life proof case next time Will. Their not sexy and probably won't get a guy laid, but your phone won't drown either.

1_click_off
05-05-17, 21:18
Put it in a Tupperware container with rice, the rice will attract Asians and they will come fix it for you.

I know, it was a bad joke I was told when I dropped mine.

If it comes back, trade it in as soon as you can. Everything will begin corroding in it with the chlorine it was exposed to.

They place little stickers inside them now that turn red if exposed to moisture. Some places pop them open to check the stickers first. Can't really get around that unless you have a buddy that works for Imed or I Dr. or any of those other repair places.

Co-gnARR
05-05-17, 23:36
...Mine was in a peliCANTcase...

Just sayin...

Jokes aside, I agree with the comprehensive replacement plan. It saved me on a new iPad and iPhone in the same year...money well spent. AppleCare is decent, GeekSquad is waaay over rated and too much $$$ for the quality of service. I forget who I used for the iPad but I googled 'electronics protection plans' and found some good reviews of the providers out there.

jbjh
05-06-17, 00:18
Will, if you are going to do any tear down, I suggest ifixit.com. Great guys who do good work. You will need at least a couple of specialized tools, but any Fry's or Microcenter will carry them.

You can put the rice container in the oven for drying on low (170 degrees) with the door cracked and will be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thepatriot2705
05-06-17, 22:11
Dropped my new IPhone6+ in the pool. First time I have ever dropped a phone into water, such as the common toilet drop. Besides the un cooked rice in a zip lock thing, any tricks I can try? Vids I watched suggested they are surprisingly water resistant, but mine was dead when I pulled it out the water. Now I'm off the grid and my phone, Whatsapp, etc, etc no workie and Tarzan sad.

I may use my old 5s to at least get me back out of the stone age comms black out I'm in, but I'm REALLY hoping the 6+ dries out.

I can fix this for you or you can.

You have to take it apart. Pull the EM? Shield off the motherboard. You then soak it in 90% alcohol and scrub the corrosion off with a tooth brush.

thepatriot2705
05-06-17, 22:15
Need a heat gun to melt the solder holding the shield on. Have to gently scrub with toothbrush or risk parts coming off. Some are held on with a solder glue

WillBrink
05-09-17, 18:12
Good luck to you sir

Good luck Will, but I'm betting "toast".

I'm very hard on my iPhones and don't use a protective case. Instead, I buy a pretty comprehensive all-risk insurance policy. Over the last 5 years, I am ahead overall.

Appears to be toast. Nothing worked so far.

Get a life proof case next time Will. Their not sexy and probably won't get a guy laid, but your phone won't drown either.

Got a refurb off Amazon (looks 100% brand new and may go that rout for future phones) and a water proof Life Proof case.

Will, if you are going to do any tear down, I suggest ifixit.com. Great guys who do good work. You will need at least a couple of specialized tools, but any Fry's or Microcenter will carry them.

You can put the rice container in the oven for drying on low (170 degrees) with the door cracked and will be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is, it's common the home botton shorts out and that means it's toast. That's what the tech told me, if the home botton/screen did not short out, it maybe worth breaking down, but I don't have an extra screen to test that. He said first thing they do is test that and most of the time they are dead.

I can fix this for you or you can.

You have to take it apart. Pull the EM? Shield off the motherboard. You then soak it in 90% alcohol and scrub the corrosion off with a tooth brush.

See above. I'll send it to you if you wanna tack a wack at it, but so far, normal stuff has done nadda. If the home botton/screen are shot, does not seem worth the $ to fix it.

Ryno12
05-09-17, 19:18
Why not go the iPhone 7 route and eliminate the risk of incidental water damage?

I had a 5s with a LifeProof case and, while it was a nice case, I didn't care for the added bulk and feel of the screen & home button.
I've since switched to a 7, clad with a Pelican case & glass screen protector, and am taking pics & videos of my kids in the pool & on water rides.

Hmac
05-09-17, 22:17

Yeah, sorry about that.

Coincidentally, my phone is toast today too. My dog knocked my iPhone 6s out of my hand and it landed face down (no case). Shattered the screen. Still works, but as it turns out I'm eligible for an upgrade on our corporate account, so I just opted for an iPhone 7.

thepatriot2705
05-09-17, 23:15

Got a refurb off Amazon (looks 100% brand new and may go that rout for future phones) and a water proof Life Proof case.

My understanding is, it's common the home botton shorts out and that means it's toast. That's what the tech told me, if the home botton/screen did not short out, it maybe worth breaking down, but I don't have an extra screen to test that. He said first thing they do is test that and most of the time they are dead.

See above. I'll send it to you if you wanna tack a wack at it, but so far, normal stuff has done nadda. If the home botton/screen are shot, does not seem worth the $ to fix it.

Are there any important photos/documents that you really want back?

Any sensitive information?

Just want to check the basics before setting something up.

Always worth having a back up as well (in the event that I am successful). I'm 1 for two with this method. One wasn't touched for a year. Other was dropped in a lake. Was able to pull the data off it.