PDA

View Full Version : 101st Airborne to get first M17 pistols

Slater
05-03-17, 21:04
How does the Army determine which unit would get them first?

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/03/army-to-issue-new-m17-modular-handgun-to-ft-campbell-troops-first/

Earlier today at the NDIA Armaments Conference, PEO Soldier’s PM for Soldier Weapons, LTC Steven Power stated that the First Unit Equipped for the M17 Modular Handgun will be the 101st at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, during the first quarter of Fiscal Year 18. He also stated that other units on Fort Campbell would also receive the first of 190,000 Pistols the Army plans to buy.

In addition to multiple other Army units on the post, the 5th Special Forces Group ( Airborne) and elements of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment are also there. Yesterday, USASOC Deputy Chief of Staff for Requirements (G8), COL Samuel Ashley stated that despite adoption of the GLOCK 19 by elements of the command, it was part of the Army’s fielding of the M17 as a replacement for their M9 pistols.

C-grunt
05-04-17, 05:07
My guess is they have a large amount of deploying aviation Soldiers.

usmcvet
05-05-17, 19:58
They might look at whose gear needs replacing most or who is deploying next. Good question. I'm interested to hear what folks think.

26 Inf
05-05-17, 22:25
SWAG. Could be the 101st is the most mobile tactical combat formation we have, compared to the 82nd who once they drop in on you are pretty much afoot. There is more to 'the tip of the spear' than just a fancy slogan. They will always be going in harm's way early on. Then you have their Aviation Brigade and the 160th SOAR - aviators need pistols. Plus 5th SFG is stationed there.

Or, maybe it was just their turn to get something new?

SOWT
05-08-17, 14:48
The Army has a Master Integrated Priority List, XVIII ABC is usually #1 or 2.
Corps Commander (via G3/4 selects the first Division to get the new gear).
I would surmise the Brigade getting the new weapons just returned from a deployment, or is pretty far down the list.
There is a lot of work that will have so they can field this (Armorers getting certified, etc).
Range time so you can qualify Soldiers, spare stocks getting established, and figuring who gets what size frame are some I can think of off-hand.
I wonder if Sig is sending a hand sizing chart out to help units order the correct frames?

26 Inf
05-08-17, 15:00
Super answer. Thanks!

usmcvet
05-09-17, 17:17
The Army has a Master Integrated Priority List, XVIII ABC is usually #1 or 2.
Corps Commander (via G3/4 selects the first Division to get the new gear).
I would surmise the Brigade getting the new weapons just returned from a deployment, or is pretty far down the list.
There is a lot of work that will have so they can field this (Armorers getting certified, etc).
Range time so you can qualify Soldiers, spare stocks getting established, and figuring who gets what size frame are some I can think of off-hand.
I wonder if Sig is sending a hand sizing chart out to help units order the correct frames?

Super answer. Thanks!

I agree excellent answer. Makes good sense. That's refreshing these days!