PDA

View Full Version : Burger Thread

Kain
05-04-17, 15:18
Things have been too serious lately.

And since it is summer time, or close to it, and America's ass keeps getting fatter so what the hell. Burger thread! Also, I couldn't find one prior though I tried, burgers, grilling, I couldn't find shit.

Anyway, one of my several pleasures is grilling, usually steaks and burgers, though chicken, shrimp and other delicious foods to make it to the hot coals.

Anyway, a monstrous man burger that was grilled. :cool:

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/Kain8719/20160704_183123.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/Kain8719/media/20160704_183123.jpg.html)

Specs on the burger.

grill toasted onion roll.

Bacon, lots of bacon.

hand made burger, seasoned with various seasonings, including Lea and Perrins Bold steak sauce in the mix(main ingredient is their Worcester sauce so it like that just more flavor than just using the Worcester sauce.) grilled over charcoal(the only proper way to do it in my opinion since with the lid down I can get a slight smoke ring in the meat.)

Cooper sharp cheese(melts wonderfully, and if the smoke in the grill is heavy enough will even take on a dark tint from the smoke.)

A thin sliced ribeye steak. Yes, there be a steak on that burger. Because America! And because the things were in the freezer for like 2 months.

Under the bun, unfortunately angle sucks, is an onion ring and some jalapenos.

So what burgers have you guys been doing?

P.S.
Sorry for all you poor bastards on diets.

kerplode
05-04-17, 15:26
Holy shit, man...That looks DELICIOUS!

I'd be on that like a fat guy on a delicious burger.

kerplode
05-04-17, 15:29
I love me some burgers, but I don't really eat them anymore. Wheat messes me up, and a bun-less burger might as well be meatloaf.

Occasionally I'll cheat and get one at a restaurant somewhere. I usually pay the price for a couple days, but it's worth it once and a while.

ggammell
05-04-17, 15:32
I had a burger a while back that changed me forever. Half pound burger. Slice of ham. Bacon. Pulled pork. Pile of fried onions. All between a bun. My god.

BuzzinSATX
05-04-17, 15:41
When I make my special burgers, I always add smoked paprika, some finely chopped onions, mushrooms, and jalapeņo, an envelope of Lipton Onion Soup mix, a few squirts of soy sauce, and some finely chopped fresh parsley. I mix it into the raw meat and let sit in the fridge for at least two hours. Then form pattys and let sit on counter so you cook at room temperature.

Top it with sharp cheddar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kain
05-04-17, 15:41
I love me some burgers, but I don't really eat them anymore. Wheat messes me up, and a bun-less burger might as well be meatloaf.

Occasionally I'll cheat and get one at a restaurant somewhere. I usually pay the price for a couple days, but it's worth it once and a while.

Thank you.

It would kill me if I couldn't eat wheat, I am huge on good breads, not so much the gummy white that you get in the store. Been known to work my way through a loaf of good bread in a day or two.

That said, the burgers I make are ones of the few I could eat without a bun, I got them seasoned enough that I really enjoy them though a lot that I have gotten out, without the bun would be just that meatloaf, in fact one that a friend used to get down at the club I called meatloaf on a bun since it was at least a pound of beef.

As far as meatloaf, the way we do it in the house is a 50/50 mix of ground beef and sausage with some breadcrumbs in there to hold it all together. That is always fairly popular especially in the winter months with mashed potatoes and gravy.

I had a burger a while back that changed me forever. Half pound burger. Slice of ham. Bacon. Pulled pork. Pile of fried onions. All between a bun. My god.

Sounds like an interesting burger. I tried a hotdog once with pull pork and cheese and a little dribble of BBQ sauce. Didn't personally care for it, but good pulled pork on a burger I think has merit. I joke about opening a burger joint and doing something like that, basically a burger with bacon and every pork product I can come up with, name it the Infidel Burger. I'd probably make the news from the protests.

officerX
05-04-17, 15:51
I've had a burger exactly like that but it also had fried batter dipped shrimp on it. I was barely able to eat it all and I couldn't touch the fries. It was called "Bigfoot's mother-in-law" at a restaurant named Copper River Grill in Nicholasville, KY.

I grilled a 1 pound Bison burger once - it nearly killed me, but it was worth it!

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/officerfrasher/526083_10150716026048307_1622256366_n_zpsz3nnxkt5.jpg

Vandal
05-04-17, 16:01
This thread just cemented my dinner plans tonight, with brown sugar candied bacon and sharp cheddar. mmmmmm

soulezoo
05-04-17, 16:08
Damn you guys! Now this is a thread that I can sink my teeth into!

Oh damn but now I'm hungry!

Doc Safari
05-04-17, 16:15
The best burger I ever had was the buffalo burger at the O.K. Cafe in Tombstone Arizona:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31381-d334842-r138840295-O_K_Cafe-Tombstone_Arizona.html

I don't know what they do to it. After all, you can buy buffalo patties at Wal-Mart. But the ones at the O.K. Cafe were 100 times tastier.

Other burgers I've loved:

1. Slim Pickens from Farley's

They ask you how you want it cooked, and the meat is always perfect. It's just a basic burger but man is it good!

2. Jumbo burger from Rosie's Cafe in Las Cruces, New Mexico

I don't get there very often, but if ever there was a burger that tasted homemade, it's this one.

3. Bob's Burgers in Albuquerque, New Mexico

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g60933-d387395-i110161000-Bob_s_Burgers-Albuquerque_New_Mexico.html

It's gooey. It's sticky. It's messy. If you don't wolf it down like a starving man getting his first meal this week it will get soggy. But DAMN, that Ranchero Burger with the green chili sauce is absolutely the tastiest southwest-style burger I've ever eaten. I only wish it weren't more than a 4-hour drive away.

4. (Honorable Mention): Ruby Tuesday

Not as good as the entries above, but Ruby Tuesday does have several burgers that are decent.

And, here are the burgers that are flat out Godawful:

1. Whopper from Burger King

In the days when they really did make it fresh it was maybe the best fast food burger on the market. Then the day came when Burger King decided to imitate McDonalds and it has sucked ever since.

2. Whataburger

There is a reason they slather their burgers with lots of mustard. Try ordering one without mustard someday and see what I mean. Yuuuuuuuck.

3. Carl's Junior

It never, ever, ever, never, ever looks like the burger on TV. See Burger King above. Oh, and it's overpriced too.

4. McDonalds

How people can't sue for false advertising for McDonalds calling this food, I'll never know. They do make good fries, though.

Vandal
05-04-17, 16:19
Forgot to add this, Hudson's Hamburgers in Coeur D Alene, ID. Bring cash only and if you ask for fries they will laugh at you. Fantastic place and they've been there for over 100 years.

ABNAK
05-04-17, 18:29
I like Five Guys. Pricey, greasy, but what the hell.....that's what they make Vytorin for! Their fries are awesome too, kinda like the county fair fries we used to get (I put vinegar and ketchup on them).

SeriousStudent
05-04-17, 18:57
If you like burgers, give 'em a try some time. Me, I can't usually get 'em cause my girlfriend's a vegetarian. Which pretty much makes me a vegetarian.

I do love the taste of a good burger.

ABNAK
05-04-17, 19:02
If you like burgers, give 'em a try some time. Me, I can't usually get 'em cause my girlfriend's a vegetarian. Which pretty much makes me a vegetarian.

I do love the taste of a good burger.

Has your Man-Card expired?

:cool:

SeriousStudent
05-04-17, 19:25
Has your Man-Card expired?

:cool:

A pity you are not up on Pulp Fiction references:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBP0Mbc7VFw

I was channeling Jules.

ggammell
05-04-17, 20:56
I've had a burger exactly like that but it also had fried batter dipped shrimp on it. I was barely able to eat it all and I couldn't touch the fries. It was called "Bigfoot's mother-in-law" at a restaurant named Copper River Grill in Nicholasville, KY.

I grilled a 1 pound Bison burger once - it nearly killed me, but it was worth it!

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/officerfrasher/526083_10150716026048307_1622256366_n_zpsz3nnxkt5.jpg

Since there's a sizable noerthrtn Virginia following here, this is called "The Three Littel Pigs" at Rustico. $18.

I've never had a burger without condiments. Until this. Doesn't need any!

markdh720
05-04-17, 23:49
Im a burger fan. I usually indulge in toppings like eggs, bacon, BBQ sauce, fried onion, etc. For my buddy's birthday, we're going to a heavy metal pub known for ridiculous burgers. In particular, we are getting their specialty: the Fat Elvis. Toppings include bacon, bananas, and peanut butter.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/markdh720/lockdown-bar-grill_zpsuua9o7ol.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/markdh720/media/lockdown-bar-grill_zpsuua9o7ol.jpg.html)

Honu
05-05-17, 05:08
rib eye and short rib meat cubed then lightly pulsed in a fp so very chunky :)
grilled on coals is good but just as good in another way is in cast iron
swiss cheese grilled pineapple and choke teriyaki sauce :)
buns ? either no bun or various buns I miss getting poi buns :)

Moose-Knuckle
05-05-17, 05:24
Here is my magic mix . . .

3lbs of ground beef (I prefer sirloin over chuck) will make eight patties
1 egg
1 slice of bread
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
Generous amount of Lawry's seasoned salt (if you prefer McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning will do)

After you mix all that and make your patties top each one with 1 tbsp of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Grill to desire.

I get SO MANY compliments on them, everyone always asks me to do the burgers for get togethers.

I prefer charcoal to gas and use a Weber.

skywalkrNCSU
05-05-17, 08:44
I just made some venison burgers with some Woody's BBQ concentrate, an egg, and a bunch of bacon cut up and mixed in with the meat. Threw it in my pellet smoker at 400 until medium and it was incredible. Definitely my new method.

ABNAK
05-05-17, 09:02
I just made some venison burgers with some Woody's BBQ concentrate, an egg, and a bunch of bacon cut up and mixed in with the meat. Threw it in my pellet smoker at 400 until medium and it was incredible. Definitely my new method.

Guess adding the bacon would be akin to venison summer sausage being made with pork added? Kinda cuts down on the "lean-ness". For cooking that isn't a bad idea.

ABNAK
05-05-17, 09:03
A pity you are not up on Pulp Fiction references:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBP0Mbc7VFw

I was channeling Jules.

Damn, I liked that flick too! Had to watch the clip to recall.

skywalkrNCSU
05-05-17, 09:31
Guess adding the bacon would be akin to venison summer sausage being made with pork added? Kinda cuts down on the "lean-ness". For cooking that isn't a bad idea.

Yeah I think it really makes a difference, the burgers were not dry at all even a couple days later when I would heat them up in the microwave. The added fat helps and who doesn't like bacon?

Double3
05-05-17, 09:41
This is how I roll.

2 lbs of burger, bacon, 2 grilled cheese, lettuce, tomato...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/Double3/62e86703-51f2-40e6-907a-a2bab358faac_zpsed103d62.jpg (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/Double3/media/62e86703-51f2-40e6-907a-a2bab358faac_zpsed103d62.jpg.html)

MistWolf
05-05-17, 10:57
Mmm, shish-ka-burger!

26 Inf
05-05-17, 13:01
rib eye and short rib meat

Someone who knows what they are doing with a hamburger. We just disagree in that if I make the effort to have good hamburger made for me to fix I prefer the meat be the centerpiece and not be overpowered with seasoning. Salt, ground pepper, garlic. Buttered griddle toasted bun, bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, tbsp mayo. No cheese. Heaven.

Kind of like when I order a steak and they ask if I want A1, I ask 'Why? Isn't the steak good?' Sauces and seasonings are for shit meat that hasn't been cooked correctly.

WickedWillis
05-05-17, 14:04
Forgot to add this, Hudson's Hamburgers in Coeur D Alene, ID. Bring cash only and if you ask for fries they will laugh at you. Fantastic place and they've been there for over 100 years.

Man Vandal, I must have been there on an off-day. I was not impressed at all when we went there recently.

Honu
05-05-17, 18:14
so you are saying I do not know what I am doing :) hahahahaha

for a burger its about combination of things one likes together since this was about burgers not just plain meat :)

IMHO if you make any effort you might as well go all the way and make it good as it can possibly be !

Someone who knows what they are doing with a hamburger. We just disagree in that if I make the effort to have good hamburger made for me to fix I prefer the meat be the centerpiece and not be overpowered with seasoning. Salt, ground pepper, garlic. Buttered griddle toasted bun, bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, tbsp mayo. No cheese. Heaven.

Kind of like when I order a steak and they ask if I want A1, I ask 'Why? Isn't the steak good?' Sauces and seasonings are for shit meat that hasn't been cooked correctly.

26 Inf
05-05-17, 18:41
so you are saying I do not know what I am doing :) hahahahaha

After I posted that, I thought, hey Honu might take it that way. But no, I'm just saying we don't agree on the seasoning thing. Some people love liver, I'm not saying they are wrong just because I hate the stuff.

I use salt, pepper and garlic for seasoning and that is about it.

I also generally don't put cheese on a 'good' burger but if I'm buying one at a restaurant I will. We buy sides of grass fed, antibiotic free beef from a small herd, generally yearling bulls (if they have them) and have them processed to order. That is where I got turned on to using the boneless short ribs and ribeyes for hamburger.

I 'medicate' the hell out of cheap meat. I'll even ask them to put cajun rub on a cheap steak. But when I go to a premium steak house, all my steak should need is a fork.

Hey, if we were all the same it'd be boring.

SeriousStudent
05-05-17, 19:00

Wow, that sounds awesome. I'm going to try that.

OH58D
05-05-17, 19:05
As a cattle grower, I do have a Beef against hamburgers too big, that I can't get my mouth around the damn thing. I try picking it up and part of it slides out the bottom all over my clothes. At that point all I am left with is pile of meat patty and all the fixins on the table. Sanity has to be returned to the Burger World. Two patties max plus fixins, otherwise it becomes a competition like who has the biggest phallus in burger making. And for Heaven's Sake, never be placed in a situation where you have to use a knife and fork to eat the thing. At that point, it's not a burger, it's a pile.

By the way, here in New Mexico, our official burger is a Green Chile Cheeseburger. Culinary heaven...

SeriousStudent
05-05-17, 19:06
Here is my magic mix . . .

3lbs of ground beef (I prefer sirloin over chuck) will make eight patties
1 egg
1 slice of bread
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
Generous amount of Lawry's seasoned salt (if you prefer McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning will do)

After you mix all that and make your patties top each one with 1 tbsp of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Grill to desire.

I get SO MANY compliments on them, everyone always asks me to do the burgers for get togethers.

I prefer charcoal to gas and use a Weber.

I've had really good luck with 70 percent ground sirloin, and 30 percent ground chuck. I have the butcher throw in two pieces of 1/4" thick smoked bacon into the grinder, with the chunks of sirloin and chuck steak.

Then I take a shallot, slice it open, and rub it across the patties. It is sort of a cross between an onion and mild garlic for taste.

The seasoning I use is freshly-cracked black pepper, and some coarse kosher salt. Like others have said, you taste the beef and the smoke.

Firefly
05-05-17, 19:15
Remember that Hardees moonshine burger?

Those were good times

ABNAK
05-05-17, 19:42
After I posted that, I thought, hey Honu might take it that way. But no, I'm just saying we don't agree on the seasoning thing. Some people love liver, I'm not saying they are wrong just because I hate the stuff.

I also generally don't put cheese on a 'good' burger but if I'm buying one at a restaurant I will. We buy sides of grass fed, antibiotic free beef from a small herd, generally yearling bulls (if they have them) and have them processed to order. That is where I got turned on to using the boneless short ribs and ribeyes for hamburger.

I 'medicate' the hell out of cheap meat. I'll even ask them to put cajun rub on a cheap steak. But when I go to a premium steak house, all my steak should need is a fork.

Sorry dude, GOTTA have cheese!

ABNAK
05-05-17, 20:08
You guys having meat ground into hamburger is definitely intriguing me. Pick out your own cuts of meat, then have it custom-ground. Good way to avoid gristle (bone chunks that go "CRUNCH" when you're chewing.....gags me).

I think I'll see if my local butcher shop will do it. Add some bacon too, right?

Kain
05-05-17, 20:21
As a cattle grower, I do have a Beef against hamburgers too big, that I can't get my mouth around the damn thing. I try picking it up and part of it slides out the bottom all over my clothes. At that point all I am left with is pile of meat patty and all the fixins on the table. Sanity has to be returned to the Burger World. Two patties max plus fixins, otherwise it becomes a competition like who has the biggest phallus in burger making. And for Heaven's Sake, never be placed in a situation where you have to use a knife and fork to eat the thing. At that point, it's not a burger, it's a pile.

By the way, here in New Mexico, our official burger is a Green Chile Cheeseburger. Culinary heaven...

I agree, I like my burgers to be thin enough to wrap my skull around it. i will say I has no issues with having to press it down to get it into my head but never had an issue with it going anyplace other than my mouth or face(That sounds so wrong). I will say things though, with the patties I make, two is too much of a good thing, IE the burger ends up the height of your head. Only ever had one person do it and even he only ever did once. I also do a stuffed burger, cheese, jalapeno slices inside and more cheese on top. The things come in about 3/4 to 1 pound though but they tasty.

The green chile cheeseburger does sound rather tasty. I like spicy too, so even better. One thing I am wanting to do is beer batter some jalapeno slices and throwing them and beer battered onion rings on a burger. Actually for the fried jalapeno's jsut by themselves are good when dipped in like a berry preserves type dip. I think I could do a nice burger with the beer battered jalapeno and a rassberry spread on a brioche bun toasted with some bacon. Hmmm, ideas.

Honu
05-05-17, 20:26
I use salt pepper on all meat IMHO its a must as a base to pull flavor :)

so we agree on short rib and rib eye meat making the best burger though ;)

I like em plain sometimes :)
cheese or pineapple or teriyaki is not season to me though more condiments to the burger :)

I will kill you with this one then :) loco moco :)
rice then burger then fried egg then gravy :) traditional Hawaiian plate lunch fare :) where you can use cheap whatever %80/%20 meat ?

agree on steak :) why I do think sometimes grill sometimes cast iron both are awesome both have a dif crust etc..

some of the best meat used to be axis deer from Lanai :) nothing like normal deer !!!! we had no limit no season on those critters :)

copied that video of Gordon Ramsey cooking a steak one time with the butter rosemary garlic etc.. have to say the thing was pretty freaking good and no sauce needed as in bottled kind just the sauce out of the pan !!!!

Kain
05-05-17, 20:27
You guys having meat ground into hamburger is definitely intriguing me. Pick out your own cuts of meat, then have it custom-ground. Good way to avoid gristle (bone chunks that go "CRUNCH" when you're chewing.....gags me).

I think I'll see if my local butcher shop will do it. Add some bacon too, right?

Damn you must be getting like seconds or something at your store, never had bone in any of my stuff that I know of. Been known to not quite chew fully though.

Am sure a proper butcher would have no issues doing it though.

Sorry dude, GOTTA have cheese!

Not necessarily. There a small family owned diner where I grew up were they did a burger, fresh ground on a griddle with a sauce. That, no cheese on a roll that was on the griddle while the burger cooked made a hell of a breakfast after spending 4 or 5 hours out in the fields hunting. Small though, so you'd eat 3 or 4 of them and if you couldn't handle your grease you probably would need the cheese to stop them from squirting out before you got to your car. The sauce made it don't get me wrong, but you don't always need cheese.

Honu
05-05-17, 20:33
do it yourself :)

cube the meat say 1/2 to 1 inch or so then freeze for a short bit 10 minutes just enough to firm it then throw in a food processor (a few bits of butter can help bind it up) for a few whirs so its not so ground but fine chunked or to your taste/consistency :)

I also watched this method on Americas Test Kitchen great cooking show !!

short ribs are HUGE in the island so was a very common base meat :) also when you get ribs in the islands they are usually short ribs :) here on the mainland they serve the long bone kind as common
quite the what when you expect one thing get another :) hahahahahahah

26 Inf
05-05-17, 20:58
do it yourself :)

cube the meat say 1/2 to 1 inch or so then freeze for a short bit 10 minutes just enough to firm it then throw in a food processor (a few bits of butter can help bind it up) for a few whirs so its not so ground but fine chunked or to your taste/consistency :)

I also watched this method on Americas Test Kitchen great cooking show !!

short ribs are HUGE in the island so was a very common base meat :) also when you get ribs in the islands they are usually short ribs :) here on the mainland they serve the long bone kind as common
quite the what when you expect one thing get another :) hahahahahahah

You are a fountain of good ideas!

SeriousStudent
05-05-17, 23:28

I live within walking distance of a good butcher shop, and am always a polite and frequent buyer. They have no problem doing a custom grind for me. They pick and weigh the cuts, so they know how much to charge, then wrap it up and I pay for it.

It does not hurt that I'll grill some bacon-wrapped teriyaki shrimp, and then bring them some around dinnertime, either. :cool:

ABNAK
05-06-17, 07:57
I live within walking distance of a good butcher shop, and am always a polite and frequent buyer. They have no problem doing a custom grind for me. They pick and weigh the cuts, so they know how much to charge, then wrap it up and I pay for it.

It does not hurt that I'll grill some bacon-wrapped teriyaki shrimp, and then bring them some around dinnertime, either. :cool:

So what, sirloin and chuck steak mix and add bacon?

el_chingoton13
05-06-17, 08:30
For the South Texas members, head over to HEB and get some of the "Prime One Brisket" burgers. So good, brisket and prime sirloin ground together. Add some crispy kiolbassa bacon and masterpiece.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Alex V
05-06-17, 08:35
The one good thing about New Jersey are the Diners. The one good thing about the Diners are their burgers. Had one last night at the local diner. Nothing fancy, just a bacon cheese burger, but so damn good.

SeriousStudent
05-06-17, 09:59
So what, sirloin and chuck steak mix and add bacon?

Yup, they take a pound and a half of sirloin, a pound and a half of chuck steak, and add two strips of bacon, then drop it into the grinder. Tasty goodness falls onto the tub below.

Kain
05-06-17, 11:15
The one good thing about New Jersey are the Diners. The one good thing about the Diners are their burgers. Had one last night at the local diner. Nothing fancy, just a bacon cheese burger, but so damn good.

True. Having lived in the deep dirty south you basically have Awffle Houses, Chains, and the occasional hole in the wall BBQ place. The BBQ was good, everything else was bad or a crap shoot. I think I saw maybe 2 family diners in 14 years and 4 states and one didn't make it, and hell that places served BBQ too.

PA? There bunches of diners, some of the best I know of are still back in NJ, will hit them when I see family, but places that aren't chains are nice for something different and finding some foods you just don't see everyday. I just need to find a good greek place near me.

Moose-Knuckle
05-07-17, 05:02
I've had really good luck with 70 percent ground sirloin, and 30 percent ground chuck. I have the butcher throw in two pieces of 1/4" thick smoked bacon into the grinder, with the chunks of sirloin and chuck steak.

Yeah, I forget the fat ratio I usually get but you got have some. Typically I buy organic grass fed beef from a butcher shop, I'll have to have them throw in some bacon next time. They have the thick time honored kind!

Honu
05-07-17, 06:01
butter for some fat is good to :) good butter though :)

Hmac
05-07-17, 08:06
butter for some fat is good to :) good butter though :)
Better yet is roasted garlic butter.

http://www.marthastewart.com/332903/roasted-garlic-butter

You never want to overwork the ground beef while mixing it or forming patties, but working in some garlic butter is excellent.

SeriousStudent
05-07-17, 12:13
Yeah, I forget the fat ratio I usually get but you got have some. Typically I buy organic grass fed beef from a butcher shop, I'll have to have them throw in some bacon next time. They have the thick time honored kind!

Yup, that is what I do as well, the Nolan Ryan beef works well. And two thick strips of the house sliced bacon is the perfect addition.

Some bleu cheese crumbles just melting on the top is tasty.

Hmac
05-07-17, 12:30

I grew up in Omaha. Grass-fed beef is frowned upon in that part of the country. It's hard to get USDA Prime, corn-fed beef in Minnesota, but it's worth the effort. As to bacon...absolutely, but applewood smoked only. Really hard to beat Nueske's... https://www.nueskes.com/store/bacon/

Beyond that, 80/20 fresh ground chuck. Minimum handling, seasoning both sides, never mixed in. Only time I use a press is if they're going to be Jucy Lucys. That's a whole separate burger experience, but the experience of molten cheese oozing out when you bite it....hard to beat.

Big Green Egg with apple or cherry would chips, 450 degrees. Now I've made myself hungry. If I didn't have ribeyes already thawing for sous vide tonight, I'd be thawing some hamburger now and heading down to the deli for some extra-sharp cheddar.

https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1173538/size/tl-horizontal_main.jpg

ABNAK
05-07-17, 17:31
I grew up in Omaha. Grass-fed beef is frowned upon in that part of the country. It's hard to get USDA Prime, corn-fed beef in Minnesota, but it's worth the effort. As to bacon...absolutely, but applewood smoked only. Really hard to beat Nueske's... https://www.nueskes.com/store/bacon/

Beyond that, 80/20 fresh ground chuck. Minimum handling, seasoning both sides, never mixed in. Only time I use a press is if they're going to be Jucy Lucys. That's a whole separate burger experience, but the experience of molten cheese oozing out when you bite it....hard to beat.

Big Green Egg with apple or cherry would chips, 450 degrees. Now I've made myself hungry. If I didn't have ribeyes already thawing for sous vide tonight, I'd be thawing some hamburger now and heading down to the deli for some extra-sharp cheddar.

LOL! Looks awesome. However, I'll bet that dietary abomination isn't on your preferred eating list for your GB patients! :nono:

Is it worth the effort stuffing the burger with cheese as opposed to just melting a piece on top? FWIW, try some sharp white cheddar sometime.

Honu
05-07-17, 19:55
meat cheese OK loose the bun IMHO its the processed carb laden junk that has made america so round :) that and laziness :) ahhahahaha

looks good though :)

Jer
05-07-17, 21:02
meat cheese OK loose the bun IMHO its the processed carb laden junk that has made america so round :) that and laziness :) ahhahahaha

looks good though :)

That meat & cheese is a LOT of fat too man. Nothing pictured here or discussed is a health food. If you have no other fat the rest of the day you may be able to stay under your fat quota for the day but I even doubt that. 1/3 pound of 80/20, some bacon and some cheese is an awful lot of fat. Uneducated people will talk about 'good fat' and 'bad fat' like they can eat all the 'good fat' they want but the bottom line is you want roughly 25% of your macro intake to be fat. Anything over that will go to stores and it doesn't matter if it's 'good fat' or 'bad fat'. The bun is also a lot of carbs but nobody in this thread wants to talk macros or calories I'm guessing so we probably just shouldn't bring those things up. :D

Hmac
05-07-17, 21:19
LOL! Looks awesome. However, I'll bet that dietary abomination isn't on your preferred eating list for your GB patients! :nono:

Is it worth the effort stuffing the burger with cheese as opposed to just melting a piece on top? FWIW, try some sharp white cheddar sometime.
Yeah, stuffed in the burger makes all the difference, especially with some chopped up Nueske's bacon and some grilled onions. As to any of my patients....all things in moderation....including Judy Lucy's, but I buy extra sharp white cheddar by the pound.

Kain
05-07-17, 21:33
That meat & cheese is a LOT of fat too man. Nothing pictured here or discussed is a health food. If you have no other fat the rest of the day you may be able to stay under your fat quota for the day but I even doubt that. 1/3 pound of 80/20, some bacon and some cheese is an awful lot of fat. Uneducated people will talk about 'good fat' and 'bad fat' like they can eat all the 'good fat' they want but the bottom line is you want roughly 25% of your macro intake to be fat. Anything over that will go to stores and it doesn't matter if it's 'good fat' or 'bad fat'. The bun is also a lot of carbs but nobody in this thread wants to talk macros or calories I'm guessing so we probably just shouldn't bring those things up. :D

Yes, keep those ****ing health facts to yourself you pansy ass mofo, we here to enjoy a proper american classic, a massive **** off burger, with bacon, and **** loads of other stuff, because universal condiment, and **** diets!!!!

Also, mo burger porn. Grilled up 17 burger today, even through the weather completely sucked ass.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/Kain8719/20170507_152648.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/Kain8719/media/20170507_152648.jpg.html)

Besides, let's be honest here. Do you want to live to be 90 and hate your grub or die at 80 having enjoyed every meal? And yes, moderation. I don't eat like that daily, or even weekly really, this past couple weeks has been an aberration.

Jer
05-07-17, 21:58
Yes, keep those ****ing health facts to yourself you pansy ass mofo, we here to enjoy a proper american classic, a massive **** off burger, with bacon, and **** loads of other stuff, because universal condiment, and **** diets!!!!

Also, mo burger porn. Grilled up 17 burger today, even through the weather completely sucked ass.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/Kain8719/20170507_152648.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/Kain8719/media/20170507_152648.jpg.html)

Besides, let's be honest here. Do you want to live to be 90 and hate your grub or die at 80 having enjoyed every meal? And yes, moderation. I don't eat like that daily, or even weekly really, this past couple weeks has been an aberration.

No need to be rude about it.

Kain
05-07-17, 21:59
No need to be rude about it.

Sarcasm.

Jer
05-07-17, 22:40
Sarcasm.

It's hard to read tone which is why I use this little fella: :D

Moose-Knuckle
05-08-17, 04:30

That is some hardcore food porn right there!

Kain
05-08-17, 11:42
It's hard to read tone which is why I use this little fella: :D

I usually try to run them, but hard when I trying to type on the phone and trying to use at least decent grammar. Besides, I kind of figured the post would have been oozing the shit by the time I got done.

tylerw02
05-08-17, 12:18
If anybody likes burgers and is in Missouri or Illinois, a burger joint in Perryville, MO, just about an hour and a half south of STL has amazing burgers. It's called Mary Jane's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jer
05-08-17, 12:46
I usually try to run them, but hard when I trying to type on the phone and trying to use at least decent grammar. Besides, I kind of figured the post would have been oozing the shit by the time I got done.

It started out that way but evolved into serious to the point where I thought maybe you were just a prick. LOL

BTW, I'm on my phone and here's one of these guys: :D

Just sayin' :cool:

By the way, I do track calories & macros but I don't kill myself over trying to eat healthy 24/7. I'm just more aware & when I see someone saying 'carbs are the devil!' or 'fat will kill you!' or something similar I feel the need to say something. It's not so much one or the other but the excess amount of either or both that's unhealthy. If I'm going to eat a Burger & fries that day I just try to eat a little bit cleaner the rest of the day.

But this thread isn't about that because nothing that equals tasty hamburger is healthy but that's not why we eat them.

Viva burger!

Kain
05-08-17, 13:15
It started out that way but evolved into serious to the point where I thought maybe you were just a prick. LOL

BTW, I'm on my phone and here's one of these guys: :D

Just sayin' :cool:

By the way, I do track calories & macros but I don't kill myself over trying to eat healthy 24/7. I'm just more aware & when I see someone saying 'carbs are the devil!' or 'fat will kill you!' or something similar I feel the need to say something. It's not so much one or the other but the excess amount of either or both that's unhealthy. If I'm going to eat a Burger & fries that day I just try to eat a little bit cleaner the rest of the day.

But this thread isn't about that because nothing that equals tasty hamburger is healthy but that's not why we eat them.

Viva burger!

Meh, blame it on a long day and burgers and beer.
I normally would try to slap the little smiles in there, if things work well, the issue lately has been latest phone update that sucks giant sweaty donkey balls. I swear they kneecapped their own network, speed been slow as hell.

As far as fats and cards, I shoot for everything in moderation. From beer, burgers, steak, and grease, even my salads. That said, I don't track anything, just try to keep a balance and stay active. That said, have dealt with some people who will get in your face for eating anything not healthy or even meat related. Had a roommates like that before. Three pale sickly looking ultra liberal vegans and one meat eating gun owning well sunned and trained in the violent arts crusader in a college apartment. How I didn't carve them up for a long pork tasting platter I don't know some days.

Jer
05-08-17, 13:41
Meh, blame it on a long day and burgers and beer.
I normally would try to slap the little smiles in there, if things work well, the issue lately has been latest phone update that sucks giant sweaty donkey balls. I swear they kneecapped their own network, speed been slow as hell.

As far as fats and cards, I shoot for everything in moderation. From beer, burgers, steak, and grease, even my salads. That said, I don't track anything, just try to keep a balance and stay active. That said, have dealt with some people who will get in your face for eating anything not healthy or even meat related. Had a roommates like that before. Three pale sickly looking ultra liberal vegans and one meat eating gun owning well sunned and trained in the violent arts crusader in a college apartment. How I didn't carve them up for a long pork tasting platter I don't know some days.

It sounds like Allah blessed you with the metabolism I dream about. I used to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted & then looked shocked one day when the scale said I was a biscuit shy of 300lbs. I started working out & tracking what I eat and I'm down about 75lbs. I don't give anyone any shit for eating what they want but if I see someone offering information I'll add my two cents in case anyone within ear shot actually cares.

WickedWillis
05-08-17, 14:01
It sounds like Allah blessed you with the metabolism I dream about. I used to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted & then looked shocked one day when the scale said I was a biscuit shy of 300lbs. I started working out & tracking what I eat and I'm down about 75lbs. I don't give anyone any shit for eating what they want but if I see someone offering information I'll add my two cents in case anyone within ear shot actually cares.

I hear you Jer. I'm on the way down from nearly 320. Just have to stick with something and go, and it gets easier the longer that you do it.

Kain
05-08-17, 16:20

Shit man, I a bit under 200pounds fully clothed, six feet tall, in boots, with a glock 19 and spare mag, knife, wallet, light, car keys, jeans, jacket, ect on me. Though, not sure I can say my metabolism is that high, I only really eat one big meal a day, occasionally two(once or twice a week), and a light breakfast and lunch most days. It ain't like I doing 2,000 calories a meal three times a day. And I am pretty well promise with the weather nice grilled chicken and a greek salad will likely be dinner one night this week.

Kain
10-14-17, 17:39
With all the shitty stuff going on and bitching in threads I felt that we needed something to lift the spirits and give one last hurrah before the grilling season ended. I was fighting the sun as I grilled burgers tonight.

The grill lives!!!! and the flames burned high one match was put it.

https://i.imgur.com/K8Dnt4v.jpg

Beer, meat, and flames, what more can we ask for really?

https://i.imgur.com/Wpiqauy.jpg

A burger is only a burger without the cheese. And to do it proper it needs some time under the hood to melt good.

https://i.imgur.com/K3ZPKkE.jpg

And the bun is no less important than the cheese for a proper burger, otherwise you might as well have a salisbury steak. And a proper burger gets toasted.

https://i.imgur.com/An1CsnL.jpg

And finally an image before the burger gets devoured. Final condiment to a good meaty burger? Why more meat of course, so bacon it is!

https://i.imgur.com/YyTvEXe.jpg

Of course you also have the hipster option of throwing a fried egg on the burger, fried in the bacon grease from the bacon, with more bacon of course.

https://i.imgur.com/OWtTrZw.jpg

khc3
10-14-17, 21:19
Those look awesome. Not too thick. I do smashburgers on my iron skillet. Big thick patties are all wrong. If you want more meat in your burger, just stack 2.

SeriousStudent
10-14-17, 21:25
And just when I thought General Discussion was hopeless, this ray of cholesterol-laden sunshine bursts onto the scene....

Kain, those do look great. My 5-year-old granddaughter and I made "hambiggies" tonight as well. Basically, just sliders on top of those small Kings Hawaiian rolls with some melted provolone and washed down with some good root beer.

Diamondback
10-14-17, 21:33
Those look awesome. Not too thick. I do smashburgers on my iron skillet. Big thick patties are all wrong. If you want more meat in your burger, just stack 2.

Or get a bigger bun, or both... out here in WA, our big state fair has a joint called Earthquake's that does a full-pound two-patty heart-attack-on-bread that's about six inches around. Just needs mayo, mustard and a little pepper... if you're not careful too many of 'em'll kill ya, but you'll die smiling.

Kain
10-14-17, 22:39
And just when I thought General Discussion was hopeless, this ray of cholesterol-laden sunshine bursts onto the scene....

Kain, those do look great. My 5-year-old granddaughter and I made "hambiggies" tonight as well. Basically, just sliders on top of those small Kings Hawaiian rolls with some melted provolone and washed down with some good root beer.

Hey now, anything that has been grilled, and lightly smoked since I do drop the lid, can't have that much cholesterol in it. It cave man simple;)

Wouldn't those actually be hamsmallies since those rolls are kinda, well, small? lol. Though using the Kings Hawaiian rolls is probably close to us using the Brioche buns that we have been using, light and a little sweet. Not cheap compared to regular buns, but very tasty and they toast excellent. I am a big fan of toasted buns.

As far as size, I actually get bitched at for them being too big sometimes by those who see how big they are prior to cooking, they do shrink a fair bit. I do prefer a patty that isn't huge though. Not a fan of meatloaf on a bun like some are. One reason is that I want my burger cooked, and too thick you burn the outside, where as thin, to a point, it cooks through and remains good and juicy and you don't need three pitches of beer to wash the whole thing down. Usually a single burger is enough, though I'd rather get a second than end up with something that I tire of half way through.