PDA

View Full Version : Vltor VIS - seeking opinions

jgalt
09-28-08, 07:47
Context for the question: I'm putting together a 6.5 Grendel AR15 for hunting deer, and eventually longer range (600 meters, maybe more) target shooting.

Has anyone here used a rifle with the Vltor VIS upper? I like the idea of a monolithic upper for maximum stiffness, and because of the continuous rail which will allow me to place a scope mount farther forward (should I need to) without any type of adapter (to keep it as low as possible on the rifle) than I could with a regular flat top receiver. Are either of these assumptions incorrect? Are there any other considerations to take into account when deciding on which upper to use? I'm just starting my research here, so any thoughts or ideas on what might be appropriate instead of the VIS will be welcome as well...

Thanks.

mpardun
09-28-08, 08:26
I am a big Vltor fan in general, great company and products: I really do like the VIS and currently own just one upper with VIS. Mine in on a 10.5" Noveske SBR upper.

It is extremely rigid and very well machined, & finished. I would guess that this is exactly what you want in a long range hunting/target rifle as the barrel free-floats and the mono-upper does not flex - probably a good thing for both accuracy & providing a stable optics platform as close to the barrel as you could get.

I doubt you will find anybody that has anything bad to say about them, except perhaps they are spendy, slightly heavier than you can achieve with combining an lighter/less rigid upper with a lightweight fore end (like a PRI/JP/Vtac).

The only other mono-platform I considered was the LMT MRP, but the proprietary barrel system turned me off. As I understand it MRP starts life as a 1 piece billet, versus "Vltors polyithic" approach.

You will not regret getting a VIS.

hk51pdx
09-28-08, 10:10
+2 for Vltor and VIS.

I, like mpardun, am a fan of Vltor and have two VIS uppers. One is the Noveske Diplomat (7.5" SBR) and the other is a Noveske N4 SPR (18"). The SBR has a 7" VIS and the SPR has a 12" VIS.

They are spendy, but the rigidity is obvious. Your use for long range, precision shooting seems ideal, which is my intent with the SPR (some might argue having a VIS on an SBR is pointless, but the whole package works so well together).

The downside of the longer VIS is the exposure of so much rail. The shorter ones are easily covered with panels or ladders (my preference), but the 12" one would require a huge investment. Depending upon your hunting conditions, you might find the rails are a magnet for collecting brush, leaves, branches, bark etc.

Good luck regardless of what you end up doing.

Jim

Stickman
09-28-08, 11:30
Fantastic units that are very solidly built. Its a premium rail without question.

Stickman
09-28-08, 11:41
Here are two quick pictures, and while these aren't laid out the way you are talking, there is certainly nothing stopping you from forward mounting an optic on them.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_9032%201028%20Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_7898%201028%20stick.jpg

HAMMERDROP
10-07-08, 21:34
I have a 14.5" Noveske Infidel barrel in a VIS3 w/a pig ... Grant and I discussed at length because I thought the LMT was the way to go but you have to use LMT's barrels in it which may not be a drawback but if you dont have the coin then you are stuck buying an LMT barrel which is not a bad thing IF you can afford it.
The draw back as I see 'Stick' posted a couple of pics of the Vltor VIS is that with a single point sling on a VIS3 and no knee pads you will soon be disabled. I tore my left knee up BAD transisting to my sidearm playing guns one day no blood just the same feeling as when you kick a kitchen table chair leg in the middle of the night. I let it go and it felt like I just got walloped with a ball bat, disco...
Went to a BFG VCAS 2 point sling with 'Mash & Cobra Clips' and I sling it way down at the end of the rail in a MI sling loop just so I have more control where it swings to when I let it go. Not proper sling threading I know but since the VIS has no QD mount near the back of the rail its where I put it. But is very rigid I expect to have the rest of my life however long that is, I have no regrets since I did want an MRP of some type. And Grant Hooked me up !
Mounting a scope low is possible but the higher the mount the more situational awareness you have And in a hunting situation whether people or animals you like to see whats going on around you at all times.
Michael