PDA

View Full Version : DIY smart guys: closed cell foam to build up cheek riser?

sasquatchoslav
05-04-17, 17:24
I really like the LaRue RISR, but I still don't have it feeling as good as the cheek weld I get on my fav bolt. If I could eek 1/4 to 1/2" more I could really sink my horribly ugly mug into the stock the way I'd like.

Would some 3M adhesive spray and some high density or closed cell foam be a good route? I love DIY, but I'm far from MacGyver. That said I have seen some people do amazing cool things here with some ingenuity. Thanks for any nuggets.

Duffy
05-04-17, 18:36
I cut up a section from an el cheapo GI sleeping pad, and taped it to the stock with a good 100 miles tape. It works. It's more comfortable than hard plastic too.

fedupflyer
05-04-17, 20:17
I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up a some of sheets of closed cell foam, of a couple different thicknesses.
Figured out what shape and thickness works for me and put them under a cheek pad.

Also picked up some round nosed scissors so I can run with them.

bfoosh006
05-04-17, 20:36
Deleted

Benito
05-04-17, 22:47
I am curious what optics you guys are using that you need a riser to get a good cheek weld.
Not hating, just curious.

sasquatchoslav
05-05-17, 06:06
I cut up a section from an el cheapo GI sleeping pad, and taped it to the stock with a good 100 miles tape. It works. It's more comfortable than hard plastic too.

thanks. i use that approach on my bolt action i read this article years ago was such a nice fix. had used all manner of crutches for years that never stayed put. The issue I have run into with collapsible stocks is wrapping it up around the edges vs a smooth rifle stock.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/make-improvised-rifle-cheek-rest/

sasquatchoslav
05-05-17, 06:12
I am curious what optics you guys are using that you need a riser to get a good cheek weld.

Any optic even irons on a flat top. When shouldering a rifle offhand which is a great many of my shots in the woods....the cheek weld feels much different and so is my shoulder pocket placement( I don't bend my neck down to meet the stock, but bring it up) than what I could muddle through with supported on a bench which is about 10x a year. I also have a freaky high zygomatic/orbital bone. Lastly a lot of this is probably exacerbated by my horrible vision (-8.5)and glasses. I have to keep my head very upright b/c the sweet spot on my glasses for 20/20 is about the size of a dime at most. If I tilt my head forward at all to accommodate cheek weld at all and I'm looking out the upper portion of my glasses I go to 20/pathetic in a hurry. Offhand is how I was taught to shoot and some of it may be just the way I was instructed to really sink into the stock firmly and get locked in for a more consistent sight picture and alignment with irons. It's a tough give and take of being in a solid shoulder pocket orientation + weld for me increasingly over the years. With no glasses as a kid it was a lot easier. So in the end my atrocious vision is likely the biggest PITA in the mix. The more upright I have to keep my head the further the cheek bone gets rom the stock so I either raise the rifle out of my pocket a bit or bring the stock to me via a built up rest!

Thanks for the other suggestions all I think I got it with the cut out foam thanks. Please forgive typos not enough coffee on board yet!

GH41
05-05-17, 06:21
I used a piece of Kydex I had laying around on my 10/22. Formed with heat gun, trimmed and stuck on with a few dabs of RTV.
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t414/ghchhisc/kydex_zpsjjj56akh.jpg

Ned Christiansen
05-05-17, 06:56
Find your old mouse pad and cut it up.

sasquatchoslav
05-05-17, 07:02
Find your old mouse pad and cut it up.

ha crap winner winner chikn dinner! i knew someone here would come up with it. as luck would have it the hoarding of computer stuff in a rubbermaid just paid off. thanks man.

Ned Christiansen
05-05-17, 09:02
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hello-Kitty-Mouse-Pad-with-MF-Wrist-Rest-Pink-74709A-PNK-/162469651309

:D

sasquatchoslav
05-05-17, 09:21
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hello-Kitty-Mouse-Pad-with-MF-Wrist-Rest-Pink-74709A-PNK-/162469651309

:D

Hells yea I will keep that handy in case I botch cutting up my various other mouse pads. I think I'm going to use the Microsoft one just to tilt the cosmic balance off: Bill Gates would likely be quite upset knowing his branded mouse pad was cut up to be used on an 'assault rifle' to kill precious animals.

Lefty223
05-05-17, 10:02
We're all built differently, different body heights, widths, size of face, shape and bone structure et al. Any combination of 'stock' items were built to a 'design envelope' to work for the average person, the masses.

But one can do much better, w/ OEM add-ons or the DIY route. FWIW 10+ years ago I took a black closed-cell mouse pad and glued it to a synthetic stock (scuffed it up really well) and it's still there and working well!

Averageman
05-05-17, 12:43
I have done this once for an M1A, but out of completely different materials than mentioned here.
If I were going to do it again,
I would use a piece of Kydex and a heat gun to form fit the kydex to the stock. Once I had the piece for fitted I would work on height and then do a final cover with a piece of closed cell foam from a mouse pad.
Attachment to the stock would either be Marine Grade Velcro or a small amount of two part epoxy.