View Full Version : DD m4 Rails, Omega Rail and Lite Rails

lanceriley
09-28-08, 10:04
Can somebody tell me the difference betweeen DD m4 rails, Omega rails and Lite rails?

the only difference I can come up with is that the omega rail is user installed. but it still claims it's a free float??

as for the weight... all 3 of em weight 8.5oz so why do they call it lite rail? when the Omega and M4 rail still weight the same?

Im talking about the 7.0 rails only.

rob_s
09-28-08, 10:25
Two things you may find useful

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DD-Dimensions.gif

Comparison Chart of Various Makes/Models of Free-Float Rails (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&hl=en)

My take...

The M4 is the older version that has a gap at the barrel nut, doesn't resist rotation as well, but is less expensive. It also has the largest ID of the three, and most 9mm silencers will fit inside it.

The Lite rail is the next evolution past the M4 rail. It's "lite" when compared to the competition. It has a more positive anti-rotation mounting system than the M4 and the top rail meets up with the rail of the upper to form a "continuous" rail.

The Omega is the narrowest, and does not require any disassembly of the upper beyond removing the plastic handguards. This also means it's the heaviest, installed, because it retains these parts. It also is the only one that has an integral sling swivel at the rear.

lanceriley
09-28-08, 10:50
alright! the 2 graphs you gave me really explained everything. I was leaning more to the omega rail.

but after reading everything im looking more to the lite rail.

but I think I like the OMEGA rail profile much better since I have small hands. Is the omega rail free float? it sounds as if it installs the same way as the plastic hand guard through the delta ring and the cup behind the fsb.

Does the OMEGA top rail also line up with the flat top reciever? considering it has a lower overall height.

mattjmcd
09-28-08, 10:58
I would add- although rob_s has the detail which shows the dims- that the Omega rail is narrowest across the beam.

Grant T. sold me on getting a set for a Noveske build and they are pretty cool. Light and very narrow. My older uppers have a mix of JP tubes and YHM rails. The YHM units are fine, but very wide and heavy as a boat anchor. The DD Omega is a vast leap forward, IMO.

rob_s
09-28-08, 11:03
but I think I like the OMEGA rail profile much better since I have small hands. Is the omega rail free float? it sounds as if it installs the same way as the plastic hand guard through the delta ring and the cup behind the fsb.
Yes the Omega is free-float. It installs in a similar way to the plastic handguards, but not exactly.

Does the OMEGA top rail also line up with the flat top reciever? considering it has a lower overall height.
Yes, it lines up. All the height dimensions are measured from the top rail of the upper receiver down. In other words, all of them line up at the top, and differ only in how low they hang.

lanceriley
09-28-08, 11:16
rob_s, thanks for the very quick reply. since it attaches in a "similar" way as the plastic handguard, do I still need the "roundish" cup behind the FSB? it's suppose to hold the front part of the handguard. but since the omega rail is free floating... it doesn't need this cup right? or do you have a diagram or manual that shows how it is installed? a pdf perhaps?

How does it freefloat? considering it's just the delta ring that's holding it.

mattjmcd,

yeah... I think im going for the Omega rail considering the width is very very narrow. in my AR I always use the smaller plastic handguards. hahahah funny I was thinking about the YHM too. considering it's only 120$ but if it weights like an anchor... don't need it hahaha.

rob_s
09-28-08, 11:22
Install (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65)

It doesn't attach to the delta ring per se, it's really attached to the barrel nut.

Stickman
09-28-08, 11:25
The weight of the DD M4 rail series is now the same as the DD Lite rail series?

I don't disagree with Rob on his attributes of the DD M4 series, but I would add that I feel its worth noting that it is the lightest weight rail on the market. Its also in use by the MIL in the 12.0 version while using a steel barrel nut. No problems with properly assembled rails coming loose in my use, or that I've heard of in MIL use.

The fourth rail in the Daniel Defense series is the SOCOM RIS II models.

rob_s
09-28-08, 11:30
The weight of the DD M4 rail series is now the same as the DD Lite rail series?

According to Daniel Defense's website it is. Has been for awhile on that site. May be a typo, but it's consistent across the model lines.

DD M4 rail 7.0 8.5 oz. (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=18)
DD Lite 7.0 8.5 oz. (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=60)

DD M4 rail 9.0 11 oz. (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=23)
DD Lite 9.0 11 oz. (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=74)

DD M4 rail 12.0 13 oz. (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=24)
DD Lite 12.0 14 oz. (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=61) (close enough :D)

Stickman
09-28-08, 11:44
According to Daniel Defense's website it is. Has been for awhile on that site. May be a typo, but it's consistent across the model lines.

Thanks, I think one weight includes the barrel nut, while the others don't. I'll dig around and see what I can come up with. I've always thought it a bit odd that a company would not include the barrel nut weight on a rail. I guess it makes sense on something like the Omega, but none at all if the barrel nut is being replaced with a new one.

Who knows, I could just be lacking on coffee this morning. :)

johes
09-28-08, 17:11
Since the Omega rail is so easy to install, is it mounted as solid as the models installed by the more complicated method? In other words, if I get an Omega rail just because it's easer to install, will I wish later that I had spent another half hour and installed one of the other models?

Stickman
09-28-08, 17:29
Since the Omega rail is so easy to install, is it mounted as solid as the models installed by the more complicated method? In other words, if I get an Omega rail just because it's easer to install, will I wish later that I had spent another half hour and installed one of the other models?

I seriously doubt you would ever end up with any problems with either rail.

mtk
09-28-08, 17:53
Now if we could only get Daniel Defense to bring back the holes on the lower part of the DD Lite rail.

I got one of the last 10" DD Lite's with the holes, thanks to John at Rainier Arms, and it's a beauty. My only problem now is that I'm torn on what to mount it on since I know I can't get another one like it.

I emailed DD about it and I'd encourage everyone else to do the same.

Stickman
09-28-08, 18:10
I've yet to hear anyone really voice that they prefer the new version. Not a big deal either way, but given the option, I would go with the old style.

mtk
09-28-08, 18:18
Same here. At best, I've seen folks express no preference.

Like you said, it's not a big deal, but the old version is much nicer. In fact, I'd happily pay the slight cost difference to keep the additional machining steps and get the nicer finished product.

To me, it is akin to the car companies saying that there was no price increase for the new model year, when in reality they removed a half-dozen small items from the vehicle to cut costs.

With all that said, they're still the nicest rails on the market.

rob_s
09-28-08, 18:51
holes?

mtk
09-28-08, 19:04
holes?

If you look at the photos of the Lite rails in Stick's links, you'll see a row of holes along the flat just above the bottom rail and on the flat just below the top rail. They did away with the bottom row of holes.

I'll bet Stick has a few photos of both types. He's got photos of everything else. :D

lanceriley
09-28-08, 19:38
I went through the gunevolution website. so basically. the allen set screws just "push" on the barrel nut to make it free float? doesn't anybody think this is flimsy?

won't it break the barrel nut if you overtighten the allen set screws?

rob_s
09-28-08, 19:53
Maybe you need to find someone near you that has one. It's not at all flimsy.

If you're concerned about it, go with the Lite.

Adam
09-28-08, 20:00
I went through the gunevolution website. so basically. the allen set screws just "push" on the barrel nut to make it free float? doesn't anybody think this is flimsy?

One set screw keeps a pistols sight in place.

Stickman
09-28-08, 20:04
Same here. At best, I've seen folks express no preference.

Like you said, it's not a big deal, but the old version is much nicer. In fact, I'd happily pay the slight cost difference to keep the additional machining steps and get the nicer finished product.

To me, it is akin to the car companies saying that there was no price increase for the new model year, when in reality they removed a half-dozen small items from the vehicle to cut costs.

With all that said, they're still the nicest rails on the market.

They did also drop the price a whole bunch, which was nice. :D

lanceriley
09-28-08, 20:21
rob_s,

I do have a friend who buys DD but he's got the lite rails. by reading the installation guide... it attaches like a larue? I had a cousin who used a larue. he told me that it wasn't free float. but he tightened screws that had the same position as the DD Omega. or maybe he mistakenly said larue when it was DD.

although Im not much into mounting optics in front. I would really like to enjoy the advantage of a free floating barrel. am not into vertical handguards just the free float.

so basically the only reason you're going omega is bec you don't want to remove the barrel from the reciever right? other than that... lite and m4 rails?

Robb Jensen
09-28-08, 21:28
rob_s,

I do have a friend who buys DD but he's got the lite rails. by reading the installation guide... it attaches like a larue? I had a cousin who used a larue. he told me that it wasn't free float. but he tightened screws that had the same position as the DD Omega. or maybe he mistakenly said larue when it was DD.

although Im not much into mounting optics in front. I would really like to enjoy the advantage of a free floating barrel. am not into vertical handguards just the free float.

so basically the only reason you're going omega is bec you don't want to remove the barrel from the reciever right? other than that... lite and m4 rails?

FWIW all LaRue and Daniel Defense rails I've ever encountered in my career in the gun business have all been free-floated. So I don't know what you're speaking of with either being non free-float.

HisDivineShadow
03-31-09, 12:00
If you look at the photos of the Lite rails in Stick's links, you'll see a row of holes along the flat just above the bottom rail and on the flat just below the top rail. They did away with the bottom row of holes.

I'll bet Stick has a few photos of both types. He's got photos of everything else. :D

This sucks, I have a big preference for the old style rails, the only really detailed images of the lite rails I have seen where on stickmans site. Now I've been googling around trying to find some good pictures of the newer model. It's in my eyes a huge step down :(

EDIT: Oh and sorry for the necro..

jchen012
03-31-09, 13:49
Now let's hope DD will release the Omega X Rail in different lengths seperately!

lmmmmm
03-31-09, 14:03
the Lite rails require a special tool to install ($20).