PDA

View Full Version : 7 yard groups

Jolr
05-06-17, 07:28
Why do people post groups that are shot at 7-10 yards. Do they give an indication to the pistols inherent accuracy? A kindergartner can shoot small groups at 7 yards!

platoonDaddy
05-06-17, 07:43
Why do people post groups that are shot at 7-10 yards. Do they give an indication to the pistols inherent accuracy? A kindergartner can shoot small groups at 7 yards!

I know there are many stats out there on the percentage of CCW shooting within a certain distance etc. In my opinion if beyond 7 yards, you have plenty of time to get out of dodge.

CDR_Glock
05-06-17, 08:17

I don't know. I've seen some paper targets that look like they've been hit with 00 buck 10 times.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WillBrink
05-06-17, 08:27

Seen plenty of bad groups from 7-10 yards at the range. I tend to view 7-10 yard groups in context of how they were made.

JC5188
05-06-17, 08:40

So what would you consider a better benchmark for pistol groups?

Or is this just a lol thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pat701
05-06-17, 08:41

If you are that competent with hand guns, quit your day job and go into competition. You must be a "natural" and naturals aren't very common.:o

MegademiC
05-06-17, 08:44
Depends on a lot. Slow fire, yea, should he 1 gmbig hole if you know what youre doing. A beginner or someone trying to learn may be starting at 5 and working back.

Also, some drills, like the f.a.s.t test are shot at 7 or 10 yards. If you shoot 1 hole, you did it wrong. You have bill drills, dot torture, etc.

WillBrink
05-06-17, 09:19
Depends on a lot. Slow fire, yea, should he 1 gmbig hole if you know what youre doing. A beginner or someone trying to learn may be starting at 5 and working back.

Also, some drills, like the f.a.s.t test are shot at 7 or 10 yards. If you shoot 1 hole, you did it wrong. You have bill drills, dot torture, etc.

Harder than it looks to do quickly, well, fast. 6 seconds ish was best I did and that's slo mo compared to others.

Outlander Systems
05-06-17, 09:21
This. A coworker brought back his target from the range, and I asked him what shotgun he was using.

I don't know. I've seen some paper targets that look like they've been hit with 00 buck 10 times.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Jolr
05-06-17, 09:54
I would like to address all the people that felt the need to post smart ass replies. I realize that my post challenged your reading comprehension abilities so I am typing this very slowly so that might understand what I am typing. Did I ever once say one word about personal shooting capabilities? Did I not say "inherent accuracy" of the pistol? Do you think that a 7 yard grouping measures a guns accuracy? It's commonly accepted that 5 shot groups at 25 yards are done as a standard for comparison. Are you aware that some manufacturers offer 50 yard guarantees? Have you ever heard of Les Baer or Hammerli? Please don't show me your 3 inch groups shot at 7 yards with your Glock and tell me that it's "very" accurate! I will laugh in your face!

Hmac
05-06-17, 10:12
I would like to address all the people that felt the need to post smart ass replies. I realize that my post challenged your reading comprehension abilities so I am typing this very slowly so that might understand what I am typing. Did I ever once say one word about personal shooting capabilities? Did I not say "inherent accuracy" of the pistol? Do you think that a 7 yard grouping measures a guns accuracy? It's commonly accepted that 5 shot groups at 25 yards are done as a standard for comparison. Are you aware that some manufacturers offer 50 yard guarantees? Have you ever heard of Les Baer or Hammerli? Please don't show me your 3 inch groups shot at 7 yards with your Glock and tell me that it's "very" accurate! I will laugh in your face!

As you gain more experience with this gun forum, presumably you will get a better handle on community interaction and maybe get a little thicker skin.

Outlander Systems
05-06-17, 10:13
OP,

Please show us videos of your gunfighting skillz at 50m.

CDR_Glock
05-06-17, 10:15
This. A coworker brought back his target from the range, and I asked him what shotgun he was using.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

When I go to the indoor range it's like that. At my club more people shoot a lot tighter. But even at 7-10 yards it's not easy to make one ragged hole. You still need to know what you're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CDR_Glock
05-06-17, 10:17

I test mine at 25 and 50 yards. For hunting I use 100 yards for handgun.

Accurate is a relative term held very loosely, based upon your observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GTF425
05-06-17, 10:19

Out of curiosity, what's your score on the Humbler?

My last was 648, hoping to break 650 within the month.

Outlander Systems
05-06-17, 10:27
Standby, OP is googling humbler as we speak.

Out of curiosity, what's your score on the Humbler?

My last was 648, hoping to break 650 within the month.

Frailer
05-06-17, 10:56

If the answers to your question make you wonder about the reading comprehension of others, perhaps you'd better take a look at your own ability to ask unambiguous questions. And yes, you did bring personal shooting capabilities into the discussion when you described what kindergarteners can do. Unless there is a firearm called "kindergartener" of which I'm unaware

Here is what you wrote:

With the additional information you've provided, it seems you make the assumption that the only reason to post groups is to show the accuracy of the gun or the ability of the shooter in slow-fire mode.

It isn't.

I know I've shot 12" "groups" at 7 yards under certain conditions. Hell, I've completely missed IPSC targets at even closer ranges.

Good trigger control under time pressure is a bitch.

SeriousStudent
05-06-17, 11:04
Soooo......

The OP is going to be away for a while. And here's some things that would be easy for him to comprehend:

1. Try the Dot Torture drill at 7 yards, and get back to me. I cleaned it at 3 yards the first time I shot it, then at 4 yards, and this morning shot a 49 at 5 yards. So it's back to 4 yards.

2. A MUCH better thread would have been - "Here's some things I have found that have helped me shoot a more accurate group with a service pistol under realistic times at 7 yards. I hope they help you."

3. A post discussion factors around grip versus trigger control, and how they come into play at 7 yards and greater. Or how much of a factor sight picture acquisition is at that distance.

In short, don't be trollin'.

Outlander Systems
05-06-17, 11:07
It is.

M4C member double booty-slammed me by making me lift weights and run, with time.

It's incredible how much groups open up when you're not bench resting a ****ing pistol or doing slow fire with your Les Baer custom 1911 so amazing it shoots for you.

Good trigger control under time pressure is a bitch.

GTF425
05-06-17, 11:17
M4C member double booty-slammed me by making me lift weights and run, with time

You big baby.

teksid
05-06-17, 11:20
Unless less you can put all the shots in the same hole 7 yards is far enough.

Outlander Systems
05-06-17, 11:26
I blame my shit-tier status trigger control.

You big baby.

riverjoe85
05-06-17, 13:41
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/eb/ebde3c9ffe4a27541b97d93951ee83aec638b5c9116a3e05074206ae7b2474d8.jpg

Vandal
05-06-17, 15:54
It is.

M4C member double booty-slammed me by making me lift weights and run, with time.

It's incredible how much groups open up when you're not bench resting a ****ing pistol or doing slow fire with your Les Baer custom 1911 so amazing it shoots for you.

This, right friggin' here. I got cocky one day in the police academy on the range. One of the instructors made me do wall sits while holding the trauma kit with outstretched arms until failure. Then I had to shoot. I was excited to get all rounds on target at 10 feet as badly as I was shaking.

Outlander Systems
05-06-17, 16:24
Utterly wicked lol.

Same here. I turned into the ultimate trigger snatcher the more smoked I got.

DIRT
DIRT
DIRT
DIRT
STEEL!!!!
DIRT
DIRT
DIRT
STEEL!!!!

This, right friggin' here. I got cocky one day in the police academy on the range. One of the instructors made me do wall sits while holding the trauma kit with outstretched arms until failure. Then I had to shoot. I was excited to get all rounds on target at 10 feet as badly as I was shaking.

WillBrink
05-06-17, 16:28

Go over walls in full gear, do chins, drag chains, push squad car out of the way, etc, engage targets, at 90f + and it's another world. Not that I have done that, but I did make some poor SOBs do it for 12 weeks for several years leading up to SWAT competitions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL9_KHABDck

556BlackRifle
05-06-17, 17:06
Pat Mac can do it with a pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcVlyKd5g20

556BlackRifle
05-06-17, 17:07
Or rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEPJfYK_xc

GTF425
05-06-17, 17:21
Utterly wicked lol.

Same here. I turned into the ultimate trigger snatcher the more smoked I got

I legitimately expected you to say "**** this" at one point.

Also, Terry wouldn't have missed.

GTF425
05-06-17, 17:28
Pat Mac can do it with a pistol.

Mac is my spirit animal.

https://youtu.be/l-PaYbqS3cw

CDR_Glock
05-06-17, 20:39
Or rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEPJfYK_xc

Ok. He's bad ass.

MegademiC
05-06-17, 20:56
Pat is awesome. Hoping to take a class with him ar some point.

My friend and I did burpees, sprints, and push ups with groups in between. It was a learming experience. No it did not show the inherent accuracy of the pistol.

noonesshowmonkey
05-07-17, 13:06
Mac is my spirit animal.

https://youtu.be/l-PaYbqS3cw

If Mac was also a dolphin, he would be mine.

My range lets members use a private section, and as long as no one else is back in there, they'll let me do whatever I want.

I bring my kettlebells & swing em, run suicides, do all of this in full kit, with a shot timer. They all think I am insane. Did a similar snatch run just last week. 24kg kettlebell 5 x snatches each side, then 5 rounds headshots at 15 yards. Whooo baby, that was fun.

GIT YOU SOME.

Back to the OP, 7 yards can be more than enough challenge, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. You can choose an arbitrary target size. A 3x5 note card, a circle traced with a dip lid, etc., and decide to push rounds into that target based on a shooting schedule that is either enforced with time, difficult position, draw stroke, physical effort, or all of the above. Putting 5 rounds into a 3x5 card at 7 yards can become very difficult if you first have to run a 3x15m suicide sprint, then draw from concealment, then engage that 3x5 card moving laterally, for time. 7 yards may be the edge of your performance envelope, at that point. Oddly enough, a 3x5 card is just a touch larger than the A-zone for a headshot, which means that I trim a stack of these and bring them to the range for use as pasted targets to do almost exactly as described above. The headshot A-zone is generally my precision target of choice.

Outlander Systems
05-07-17, 13:45
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/803/376/69e.gif

I legitimately expected you to say "**** this" at one point.

Also, Terry wouldn't have missed.

GTF425
05-07-17, 14:25
I bring my kettlebells & swing em, run suicides, do all of this in full kit, with a shot timer. They all think I am insane. Did a similar snatch run just last week. 24kg kettlebell 5 x snatches each side, then 5 rounds headshots at 15 yards. Whooo baby, that was fun.

I like your style. We would be friends if you were in Atlanta.

Unlike Outlander, he's a scrub.

WillBrink
05-07-17, 16:06
Ok. He's bad ass.

I can't be the only one who gets this vibe from Pat. Unlike the Macho Man, Pat is not a fictional character...

https://images.follownews.com/2131/2131075/wwe-will-finally-address-that-nasty-macho-manstephanie-mcmahon-rumor-in-a-new-documentary_1.jpg

GTF425
05-07-17, 18:39
Pat is awesome. Hoping to take a class with him ar some

I've trained with Mac a few times over the years. Do it. Great teacher, funny as ****. And he actually shoots with students.

https://youtu.be/3qfRlMqHG5w

Rayrevolver
05-07-17, 19:53
Forgive me, but those videos are the first I have seen of Pat. Sure I get the BCM emails and have read his background, but never seen him work.

Gave me some ideas to try with weights and my suppressed M&P15-22 tonight... wish me luck. Oh yeah, the plates will be at 20 yards and I don't miss. Or lie.

Jake D
05-09-17, 09:54
I think the 7 yard group gets posted simply because that is the distance that most states require an individual to shoot at for CCW qualification. Most firearm owners unfortunately aren't weekly or even regular shooters so when they do hit the range they shoot at that 7 yard "CCW" distance. The sad truth is the average gun owner couldn't shoot a 2" inch group at 25 yards with a high end custom 1911. I can't recall the percentage but I have seen that the vast majority of self defense shootings occur in under 3 seconds, at 3 yards or less, with an average of 3 shots being fired.