PDA

View Full Version : No More Gander Mountain

WillBrink
05-07-17, 10:24
Considering their fire arm prices, ammo prices and selection, and the fact you can get just about everything they sell online for less $$, this should surprise no one. It was a outdoor/hunting super store minus the super store prices. If they had been more like say Home Depot, generally competitive prices, good service, etc they might have made it but most super stores are going under and will continue to do so as the 'net grows as a source people shop. I can't lie, I'm a 1 click Amazon whore...

Gander Mountain to close all store nationwide

Gander Mountain posted on its website Friday that it is closing all of its stores and will liquidate its merchandise. The website said gift cards will be accepted only until May 18. The company filed for voluntary Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in March and began the work to restructure the company and remain in business. In May, Camping World Holdings bought Gander Mountain and Overton’s. Camping World sells, services and maintains new and used recreational vehicles along with products and services through its retail locations and membership clubs. Its other brand, Good Sam, offers RV services, protection plans and products. It wasn’t clear Friday how Gander Mountain would fit into Camping World Holding’s

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/fe31ad86-6be7-3d31-888e-1d25ad9bb75e/ss_gander-mountain-to-close-all.html

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-07-17, 10:28
If I found myself in a Gander Mountain, it was to see how something fit/felt/worked before I bought it cheaper online.

Firefly
05-07-17, 10:50
Bye, Becky is all I can say about GM

Arik
05-07-17, 11:13
Lol that's messed up. They just opened one here a year ago. Walked in once and that was enough for me

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

T2C
05-07-17, 11:18
This comes as no surprise. The local Gander Mountain had prices as high as 40% over full retail in a small local gun shop.

With the sale they are currently running, local prices are still higher than other stores.

davidjinks
05-07-17, 11:29
Gander mountain sucks for everything.

When you go into their store and they're selling used glocks for 600 bucks...yeah the can eat a bag of dicks.

six8
05-07-17, 11:52
Bass Pro better take notice

T2C
05-07-17, 11:57
Bass Pro better take notice

Bass Pro Shop is doing quite well in our part of the country. That may be one reason for Gander Mountain's loss of business.

Ryno12
05-07-17, 14:18
My guess is that their "everything must go" liquidation prices will still be 10% higher than the competition.
The only time I'd go to GM was to cash in my $10 gift card that I got for renewing my DU membership.

MegademiC
05-07-17, 16:44
They just built a new one where I used to live. Nice building, prices were always rediculous.

Ryno12
05-07-17, 16:59
According to this news outlet, GM is not closing all its doors, only roughly half.

http://fox59.com/2017/05/06/gander-mountain-announces-nationwide-closure-of-all-126-locations/

“So Gander Mountain filed bankruptcy as you know, and about 10 days ago I bought all of the assets, all of the intellectual property, all of the trademarks, all of the leases and the Overton’s business. Except for the fact that I did not buy, intentionally, the inventory that’s in the stores,” Lemonis told IndyStar Sunday morning. “A liquidator bought the inventory that’s in the stores and they have the right to sell that inventory down and out as if it’s going away. But the confusing message is whether a store is staying open or not. And ultimately we control the leases… every single property. And my intention is to keep at least 70 open.”

Averageman
05-07-17, 17:28
See how the Free Market works?
Beautiful aint it?

Arik
05-07-17, 19:44
See how the Free Market works?
Beautiful aint it?
Yes but you'd think they'd know this. Internet is not a new invention

hotrodder636
05-07-17, 19:57
The GM local to me has a very, very large firearms sections. Thought their prices are high, chances are they have what you are looking for.

My wife and I usually check out their seasonal sales,50% off deals, and we find some good prices/deals.

I hope ours stays in business. We don't have a Cabelas super close or a Bass Pro--not impressed with Bass Pro.

Averageman
05-07-17, 20:03
Yes but you'd think they'd know this. Internet is not a new invention

I'm not sure how many people actually take the time and price things out. If they did these things would have happened some time ago.
Even when they were touting 20-40% off of their prices there were very few real bargains in the store.
When it comes to Firearms and ammo purchases I shop pretty hard, I don't think most people do that, nor do they understand how they can do it.

BoringGuy45
05-07-17, 20:30
Gander mountain sucks for everything.

When you go into their store and they're selling used glocks for 600 bucks...yeah the can eat a bag of dicks.

Cabelas has that same problem, and it's due to their "customer is always, always, ALWAYS right" policy. Assholes come into a place like Cableas or Gander Mountain and they insist that their gun is "brand new, never been fired", and they demand outrageous prices for it. The sales managers will always give them what they want. If you try and argue that their price for the used Glock is ridiculous, they'll come up with something ridiculous like "Oh, the serial number on this one starts with a Z, so it was the one of the last of its line, making it a collectable."

Arik
05-07-17, 20:52
I'm not sure how many people actually take the time and price things out. If they did these things would have happened some time ago.
Even when they were touting 20-40% off of their prices there were very few real bargains in the store.
When it comes to Firearms and ammo purchases I shop pretty hard, I don't think most people do that, nor do they understand how they can do it.
You know I get it but I don't. My area is not one of those out of the way bumble fvck hole in the wall areas. I have 4 excellent gun stores here. Each one is a local mom and pop type but they all have a lot of options. It's not like you have 2 glocks and ,3 Remington's and that's it. Good options from vectors to Colts to DD, Glocks, CZ, Sigs, AKs, WC 1911s, class 3......etc. And here comes GM, 1.3 miles away from one of the stores but their prices are able 1.5 times more, in so.e cases even more. Their Glock mags are $49ea. Beretta mags are $54ea. Used Glocks and HKs are only $50 or so cheaper than new ones at local gun stores.

Hmac
05-07-17, 21:33
On clothing and accessories, Gander Mountain had a pretty good selection. Prices tended toward retail with occasionally pretty good sales. Firearms...the store here had a pretty good selection and alternative gun shops with any kind of reasonable selection in stock and on hand are not plentiful. Prices at GM were high, but I occasionally bought guns there anyway if it was something I wanted on the spur of the moment. I don't think I ever found them to be that much cheaper than Cabelas, and I've paid too much for guns there too, but I've been known to pay extra to satisfy a whim. No regrets. Sorry to see Gander Mountain go....not so much because it's Gander Mountain, but because brick and mortar stores of ALL kinds are going down the tube, being replaced by online vendors. Won't be long...all the mom/pop stores will be on the way out, and no doubt that your local shopping mall will be going the same way.

ucrt
05-07-17, 22:49

Managers at our local Cabelas are worried Base Pro will shut a bunch of stores down. Guess that's everywhere??

26 Inf
05-07-17, 22:55
Yep, and then hear the bitching.

I used to enjoy going to Waldenbooks, Hastings (a local book chain) and B. Daltons just to cruise and take a look at what was new. Always picked up something, most often from the bargain shelves, unless one of the authors I folow had something new out.

They are gone now.

I could go on, but you get the gist. We are all about saving a buck, but at some point we are going to want something of higher quality than WalMart sells and won't want to wait the 2 days for Amazon Prime to ship it.

Hmac
05-08-17, 04:04

I used to enjoy going to Waldenbooks, Hastings (a local book chain) and B. Daltons just to cruise and take a look at what was new. Always picked up something, most often from the bargain shelves, unless one of the authors I folow had something new out.

They are gone now.

I could go on, but you get the gist. We are all about saving a buck, but at some point we are going to want something of higher quality than WalMart sells and won't want to wait the 2 days for Amazon Prime to ship it.

"Local" is relative. My "local" Walmart/Costco/BestBuy etc etc are about 18-20 miles away. That's just far enough that it's not quite a spur-of-the-moment trip...with my schedule, I have to plan it a little. I can often get online, buy something from Amazon and have it delivered to my door faster than I can arrange a trip to any of those stores. Setting price aside, they also generally have a much broader selection, with customer reviews, that what any given local store provides.

For many of us...just one more hurdle for brick and mortar

Averageman
05-08-17, 11:43

They are gone now.

Those places used to have a great ratio of smart and hot chicks too.

26 Inf
05-08-17, 12:13
"Local" is relative. My "local" Walmart/Costco/BestBuy etc etc are about 18-20 miles away. That's just far enough that it's not quite a spur-of-the-moment trip...with my schedule, I have to plan it a little. I can often get online, buy something from Amazon and have it delivered to my door faster than I can arrange a trip to any of those stores. Setting price aside, they also generally have a much broader selection, with customer reviews, that what any given local store provides.

Then you are well aware of the impact of, say, the towns grocery store closing down, because most everyone waits to go to the "local" Walmart/Costco/Best Buy etc etc about 18-20 miles away for everything but milk. It really leaves the elderly and others without transport in the lurch.

I hope it doesn't seem as if I'm arguing, but each one of those local stores closing costs many more jobs than Amazon et al put on to deal with the up tic in business.

Right now our state is going down the tube budget-wise. Job creation is kind of lagging, unemployment isn't unbearable, but we aren't, as a state, that far from several years ago. Recently there was legislation to allow grocery stores to sell 6% beer. Previously 6% could only be sold in liquor stores. I am the next thing to a non-drinker, so you would think I wouldn't care. I opposed the bill because Wal-Mart and Dillons (our only big grocers) probably wouldn't put on near as many jobs as would be lost as local liquor stores went out of business. It ain't as if Wally World and Dillons needed those sales to stay solvent.

At some point more folks need to look beyond the end of their noses if we are going to sustain this thing.

I think we are probably of similar mind.

Kain
05-08-17, 12:14

There is a point here. It also depends on availability of items and how far you are willing to go. I live, pretty close to a large Cabela's. On a weekend you will see a lot of cars from NJ and Ny and a fair number go there buying guns and ammo. While the prices are complete shit for 95% of the things as far as I see I've seen them grabbing lots of it up because it cheaper than what they can get local to them.

They can also get things like 30 rd Pmags that they can't get in state. I've seen more than a few guys buying a long gun, Browning A bolt or whatever, and be at the gun counter paying for it and everything else they have and start stacking Pmags up there and have the clerk looking at the stock of 30 round mags and the paperwork and back and be going, "Huh, you know those are a felony in NJ or NY right?" And have the person going, "What? No, those are 10 round mags." Acting like they have no idea what the cashier is talking about while it is pointed out to them that it a 30 round magazine not 10 rounds and illegal in NJ at which point they generally pull the, "Oh my bad." So don't think that doesn't happen. it also probably the only reason one surplus store not that far from me stays in business since I don't see how they making money with $50 25 round 10/22 mags, $20 tapco ar mags, and $12.99 for a 20 round box of XM193 ect. I also saw this during SH with stores who actually had ammo and mags, even limited number they would sell, at decent or non price gouge prices. Brought people from all over, and them not jacking their prices 500% ended up with them getting a lot of return customers in the long run.

26 Inf
05-08-17, 12:14
Those places used to have a great ratio of smart and hot chicks too.

Ah, a fellow librarian lover!

elephant
05-08-17, 13:22
The US Treasury put out a statement a few weeks ago advising on the condition of our economy and stores that are vulnerable to collapse:

Sears (closing a noticeable amount of anchor stores nationwide)
Macy's (discontinuing 30% of product line, closing down many stores)
Dicks Sporting Goods (closing down many stores, discontinuing product many lines)
Cabela's (sold off to Bass Pro)
Sports Authority (went completely bankrupt)
The Limited (going out of business)
Arby's
Target (cash poor, poor sales, closing a lot of non-super target locations)
Old Navy (closing down a noticeable amount of stores)
Advanced Autoparts (was once owned by Sears, now closing a lot of stores, but opening super centers in few select cities)
NAPA (closing down a noticeable amount of locations)
Books A Million ( go figure, most likely Barnes and Noble will be next)
BeBe (going out of business)
Foot Locker (closing down almost half of there stores)
KFC
Long John Silver
Blimpies
Schlotzkies
Auntee Annes

I don't know the condition of these particular stores but what I have noticed with a lot of stores that are now defunct like Foleys, Bombay, Linens & Things, Montgomery Ward etc. is that the big box business model is not a good business model. Sooner or later, a lot of stores opt to sell "house branded" items that are made cheaper. It would be hard to have a 40,000 sq./ft. store and fill it with products that you think people will buy especially when your top brands like Under Armor, Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Columbia, North Face compete against you with there own retail stores.

pinzgauer
05-08-17, 14:29
The US Treasury put out a statement a few weeks ago advising on the condition of our economy and stores that are vulnerable to collapse:

Just about every one of these has "issues" of some form:

Sears (closing a noticeable amount of anchor stores nationwide)

Sears completely botched the transition to Ecommerce, should have been a lock for them given their mail-order strength. They already had what Amazon had to build from scratch.

Sports Authority (went completely bankrupt)
Dicks Sporting Goods (closing down many stores, discontinuing product many lines)

Sports Authority made the decision to kill first their hunting/shooting, then their fishing. And instead focus on sportwear and logo gear. I talk to the manager, told them it was a mistake. "Hunting/fishing are not big sellers in metro areas". I went from hitting them at least once a month to almost never.

Dicks is one of the few remaining large Hunting/Fishing/camping suppliers locally. Yet has less ammo than a wal-mart, and 2x higher prices. Like pulling teeth to see a firearm.

Their fishing section is large, but has less stock (rods & reels) than even Sports Authority had. Yet those are things that folks want to touch/handle and in the case of rods, do not ship well.

Both of these used to be the goto place for sports/hiking shoes. Stopped carrying wides. Only carry store brand socks, nothing like Thorlos or smartwool, etc. Now we hit amazon

Cabela's (sold off to Bass Pro)

This one troubles me. We just got one locally, and I have enjoyed having them. Best place for reloading bullets/powder/primers. Reasonable accessories (all except Magpul, which are above list for some reason). Decent scope selection. New guns reasonable. Used guns stupidly high.

If they convert it to BassPro, the reloading stock will shrink to 10% of what it was and double in price.

Macy's (discontinuing 30% of product line, closing down many stores)
The Limited (going out of business)
Target (cash poor, poor sales, closing a lot of non-super target locations)
Old Navy (closing down a noticeable amount of stores)

Target is paying the price for being political. Myself and others have not set foot in the place since they did so. A friend owns some stock, is considering dumping them as he does not see them recovering.

I tried buying a recliner at Macy's recently. What a horrible experience. Slimeball sales reps standing around smelling like cigarettes. Zero interest in showing it to me. No cash and carry, crazy delivery charge, etc.

I used to buy dress clothes at Macy's, but would wait for sales. (Still do). But lately I see 6 different brand/age departments. Annoying to find what I want.

Advanced Autoparts (was once owned by Sears, now closing a lot of stores, but opening super centers in few select cities)
NAPA (closing down a noticeable amount of locations)

Again, used to do quite a bit with both of these. Wipers, filters, etc. Needed wipers, thought their price was stupidly high. Checked Amazon, could get two shipped prime for less than one was at Advance on sale.

Have now shifted to O'Reilys. Not perfect, but tends to have parts I need more often, and better name parts.

Schlotzkies

This one will hurt. Used to hit Schlotz quite a bit when working in an office. I don't think my kids ever ate there, and I have to go out of my way to find one.

I'll miss them, but I think their location choices near office parks hurts them, especially on weekends/evenings.

Averageman
05-08-17, 16:18
Double Tap

Averageman
05-08-17, 16:20
Dicks is one of the few remaining large Hunting/Fishing/camping suppliers locally. Yet has less ammo than a wal-mart, and 2x higher prices. Like pulling teeth to see a firearm.

The local Lesbian Community have encouraged all of their members and friends to shop at Academy instead. They just really don't like Dick's.

pinzgauer
05-08-17, 17:14
The local Lesbian Community have encouraged all of their members and friends to shop at Academy instead. They just really don't like Dick's.
Now I'm all confused... I'm at Academy 10:1 more than the other store (can't say it's name).

Joking aside, Academy kept prices reasonable on ammo during the runups. Dicks did not. And dropped ARs post Sandy Hook.

Started using Academy Monarch/PPU in 9mm and 223, they'd nearly always have some when other store were barren. Reasonable ammo/price at the time. Still shooting some of it.

Academy is not perfect, but it's my 1st stop for local hunting/shooting stuff.

Averageman
05-08-17, 17:16
Now I'm all confused... I'm at Academy 10:1 more than the other store (can't say it's name).

Joking aside, Academy kept prices reasonable on ammo during the runups. Dicks did not. And dropped ARs post Sandy Hook.

Started using Academy Monarch/PPU in 9mm and 223, they'd nearly always have some when other store were barren. Reasonable ammo/price at the time. Still shooting some of it.

Academy is not perfect, but it's my 1st stop for local hunting/shooting stuff.

WalMart has been good here locally, but Academy was always my second spot.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-08-17, 18:06
Bass Pro's is looking more and more like a Goodwill, Fudd Gun store and a crappy Army Surplus store, with a fish tank. They are about like Home Depot, pretty much outside of lumber and bolts, anything in the store is a piece of contractor crap and you shouldn't put it in your house.

That to me is the catch. Local stores have stuff, but they can't carry the 'right' stuff, so they carry crap. So for the stuff I want, I have to order it. From guns, to cameras to pretty much everything. If it's available locally, it's crap.

buckshot1220
05-09-17, 16:36
My local Gander is one of the ones closing. I stopped in today and they are signs all over the exterior and interior stating; "closing," "going out of business," "everything must go" etc. In reality everything was marked 10%-30% off of original retail price with guns and ammo being the exceptions (no discounts on these, yet at least), all sales final, no returns blah blah blah. I was trying to spend $20 in Gander dollars I had, but was informed yesterday was the last day they were being accepted.

Pretty much a waste of time as the discount only brings it down to what I could buy it for at a local brick and mortar that will (hopefully) be there if the product fails.

I'm not at all upset they are closing. The LGS's and sporting goods stores in this area are so well stocked with staff and product that I'm surprised anyone finds the need to frequent the 2 Gander Mtns, Bass Pro and Cabelas we have within a 15 mile radius of each other.

elephant
05-09-17, 22:10
If you live in or around Dallas, you may have heard around 2003-2004 that there was a fire in the rifle range tunnel at Bass Pro in Grapevine which caused a lot of damage and the shooting range was closed for about a year. That was me who was in the rifle range when it caught on fire. I was trapped in the range by my self and had to wait approx. 1:00 minute for the employee to return to the range desk to buzz the door open. The rifle range is located below the ground floor and the pistol range is located right above and it was the people in the pistol range that were yelling for help. It was a 3 alarm fire and I was treated for severe smoke inhalation. I actually got a call from John Morris that same day and he called to apologize for the employee who had locked me in a room and then walked away. The reason for the fire was that the ventilation system was not turned on (per Grapevine Fire Dept.) and that the single tunnel has previously been used by someone with a black powder rifle and the unburnt powder from the rifle collected inside the tunnel and created a fire hazard (per Grapevine Fire Marshall). John was straight to the point, and asked if he could personally do anything for me that would not end up in court. He did me right. I asked if they would replace the Remington 700 and scope I just bought 3 hours before than has now been melted. He agreed and said if that is all you want I will send you a few gift cards. And he did.

Moose-Knuckle
05-10-17, 05:04
Arby's

Schlotzkies

Those are two establishments that I do like to par take in from time to time, don't care about the others.

Someone said something about Amazon Prime.

I have a few friends that are Prime addicts, always bragging about the shit they buy on there and how "fast" it is delivered. One day a buddy was bragging on FB that his wife ordered light bulbs on Prime and they were delivered four hours later. I posted and said; "thats cool, I have one of Sam Walton's haberdasheries less than ten minutes from my casa and that I could pickup light bulbs cheaper and be back home in under twenty minutes". The cool factor kind of wore off in his post after that.

Wal-Mart.com also has free two day shipping with NO MEMBERSHIP fee. So far everything that Amazon has for Prime members only that I've wanted I've been able to buy it from the Walton family at the same price or cheaper and get free delivery. Also, every big box retailer will price match. I can't even count how many times I pulled out my phone and showed the cashier at xyz big box store the online price at Amazon and they matched it. Only thing I buy online are things that I cannot buy locally and don't have to pay my state's sale tax on. Amazon I have to pay sales tax so there is no benefit there so I go for local stores that have said product in stock so I don't have to wait for the 5-7 day free shipping.

platoonDaddy
05-10-17, 07:38
Bass Pro's is looking more and more like a Goodwill, Fudd Gun store and a crappy Army Surplus store, with a fish tank. They are about like Home Depot, pretty much outside of lumber and bolts, anything in the store is a piece of contractor crap and you shouldn't put it in your house.

That to me is the catch. Local stores have stuff, but they can't carry the 'right' stuff, so they carry crap. So for the stuff I want, I have to order it. From guns, to cameras to pretty much everything. If it's available locally, it's crap.

dang, you hit the nail on the head, perfect description of Bass Pro, too bad they bought out Cabele's.

I for one won't miss Gander

duece71
05-11-17, 21:39
If you live in or around Dallas, you may have heard around 2003-2004 that there was a fire in the rifle range tunnel at Bass Pro in Grapevine which caused a lot of damage and the shooting range was closed for about a year. That was me who was in the rifle range when it caught on fire. I was trapped in the range by my self and had to wait approx. 1:00 minute for the employee to return to the range desk to buzz the door open. The rifle range is located below the ground floor and the pistol range is located right above and it was the people in the pistol range that were yelling for help. It was a 3 alarm fire and I was treated for severe smoke inhalation. I actually got a call from John Morris that same day and he called to apologize for the employee who had locked me in a room and then walked away. The reason for the fire was that the ventilation system was not turned on (per Grapevine Fire Dept.) and that the single tunnel has previously been used by someone with a black powder rifle and the unburnt powder from the rifle collected inside the tunnel and created a fire hazard (per Grapevine Fire Marshall). John was straight to the point, and asked if he could personally do anything for me that would not end up in court. He did me right. I asked if they would replace the Remington 700 and scope I just bought 3 hours before than has now been melted. He agreed and said if that is all you want I will send you a few gift cards. And he did.

Whoa! Glad you got out alive. Talk about having a bad day.

mdoan300
05-11-17, 21:50
He did me right. I asked if they would replace the Remington 700 and scope I just bought 3 hours before than has now been melted. He agreed and said if that is all you want I will send you a few gift cards. And he did.

I hope there was a damn good reason why you were locked in that range and w/ the ventilation off. Otherwise, I hope you asked for that employee's termination as well.

Back on topic, a Gander Mountain opened up a couple of miles away from me last September. Not so shocking, the parking lot was always empty. It has a few more cars w/ the going out of business sale, but it's relatively still empty.

I don't mind shopping locally if prices are reasonable and/or I got knowledgeable help and advice. It keeps the locals employed and the area looking vibrant.