PDA

View Full Version : I'm Seeking Your Insight/Opinions/Thoughts on Colt 6601

TacticalSledgehammer
05-07-17, 12:17
I traded for this Colt 6601 a couple days ago and have had a few questions, thoughts, and guesses about this thing that I was hoping you fine folks of M4C could answer.

I know in carbines, the weight of the bolt carrier is said to have an impact on the reliability of your weapon (semi vs auto). With this rifle, the bolt carrier looks as if it would have even less weight than a semi auto BCG, where the rear portion of it is cut out in order for it to slide over the auto sear block. Am I right on this or not?

Also, why is it that you do not see these older A2 models modified very often? Do they have collectibility in some of the ban states, or do most people write them off as being too complicated to modify?

As of right now, I really love this thing and can't see doing any more to it than maybe slapping an ACOG on it down the road.

C-grunt
05-08-17, 19:20
I had one of those back around 2007-2008 timeframe. Bought it to keep as an iron sights only rifle. Ended up trading it off because of the weight and the issues you talked about above. Was really accurate though.

I bet they are still out there in stock form because it would be a pain in the but to modify them to somewhat correct specs. I also suspect there are a bunch in ban states where "pre ban" is still a thing.

Cool rifle. Sometimes I think I should have just had the barrel lightened up a bit.

Bubba FAL
05-11-17, 21:14
I bought a 6601back in March '91. It has been nothing but reliable and accurate over the years and it is my Highpower match gun. It's on it's third barrel and bolt and the front end is freefloated. Not sure why you are concerned about the bolt carrier, never been an issue in 26 years.